Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Shipo, how did you get 16in wheels ? Did you swap out with the dealer and put your Michelens on,or do you have both set of alloys 16" and 17"?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Uhhh, you have me at a loss, I've never had 16" wheels on my Mazda3. FWIW, I'm running the standard "Snow-Flake" 17" OEM wheels fitted with a set of 205/50 R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (that already have over 11,000 mile on them).

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I'm thinking GTI 6 spd. No wabbit!
    According to Edmunds, VW heard you: the Rabbit name will no longer be used (it's back to being called a Golf).
    Speaking of Golf and GTI, I must say I prefer the brawny look of the Bavarian hatches compared to the overly-styled 2010 Mazda3 S.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Longer tread life? Why would two otherwise identical tires, one in the 16" size and one in the 17" size wear out at different rates on the same car?

If they're identical model tires, they won't. Unless you drive more aggressively due to the better handling that the 17" size offers in most cases...

There is more tread on the larger wheel if the circumference of the tire is larger. That would give more mileage.

A more flexible sidewall (if the distance varies between sizes measured from the wheel rim to the outside of the tire) could wear faster due to more flexing of tread on the road.
    Ummm, no.

Just because the wheel is larger in no way means that the diameter of the tire is larger. Consider the following:

205/50 R17: Overall Diameter: 25.0" -- OEM Tire size on 2009 Mazda3 i Touring
    205/55 R16: Overall Diameter: 24.9" -- OEM Tire size on 2009 Mazda3 s Sport
    195/65 R15: Overall Diameter: 25.0" -- OEM Tire size on 2009 Mazda3 i Sport

So there you have it, three different wheel sizes, virtually no difference in diameter or circumference.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Well,I've been reading the Mazda 2010 reviews and the MPG isn't rated very good.I mean on S models .I thought the more gears you have the milage went up. :confuse:
    So, my gas milage is hurting because of the Dunlop Sports I put on for winter. I have the OEM eagles home in Maine . I sould get better milage, I think.
    However, on my Type S I have Michlen MXM vr rated and I can drive in the snow with them if I have too.
    I should of bought 16" rims and Michelin Pilots for the Mazda 3. I think it would handle well. Type S has 16"tires and rims. :sick:
  • gamerguy73gamerguy73 Member Posts: 13
    No problem joe, time for you to start pricing those 2010 Insights then!
    Terry, let us know what you are getting for milage on your newcar. Thanks Joe :shades:
    Well,the Scirocco if it comes I'm trying it out.The specs are what I'm looking for.
    The interior leather looks of a higher quality, the cargo space looks the same, 200hp is the same except My S is naurally aspirated The O to 60 in 7.2sec seems about right because my V tec torque is on the high end.Scary to have it front wheel drive,but look at the speed 3.
    Whats the nomenclature of a dual clutch 6 speed tranny, does it double?I'm heading home to ME next week. I have a 2001 Silver Integra as an investment in storage with a custom CA cover on it. I'm keeping it. So the Mazda 3 I new value should have 8 or 9 k on it.I'll sell it and drive the Acura until the GTI and/or the Scirocco gets here. I should do well on resale values.
    It's so difficult to get the cars you want. The Mazda speeed doesn't have a sunroof. Maybe it's because of a roll bar?That car is a rocket begging for track time.
    The Sciroco is a clasic..We will have to see what the Euro is doing. Scioco is a sports car and GTI alot more conservative
    Thanks for the heads up Autonom :shades: have a nice Easter :shades:
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    The Mazda3 s MPG ratings are withing ONE mpg (+/-) of the Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, Nissan Sentra SE-R, Honda Civic Si, Toyota Corolla XRS and VW Rabbit S.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    I'm afraid to say that is not happening....

Scirocco not coming to the US
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    2-3 weeks before the 2010 Mazda3 launch I coincidentally got Yokohama Avids for my 2006 Mazda5, and they are much better than the OEM Toyo Crap-xies (good grip in snow and water, very quiet too), and I'm sure better than the earlier Mazda3 Eagle RS-As (based on feedback read for the last few years)
    Igo, methinks the Rabbit is 170HP 2.5 liter, the Xrs is a 2.4 liter and the Civic SI is the only DOHC they make at 197 horses.Well, out of all the cars you mentioned I bet the Civic Si which is geared with the same ratio of an Acura Type S gets the best mpg.(well,it's close anyway)
    I was told by someone on here, that Mazda auto tip tron because it was contolled by a computer and had more gears in the S model would give you the same as a 6 spd manual.
    Whats the deal on putting an additive in your gas on account of E85 gas. Mazda wants you to have semi sythetic oil. Also, on My MSRP sticker milage for E 85 gas wasn't on it. So if you get less milage on E 85 The sticker milage is wrong. :confuse:
    Marsdog, they say for every 10 miles over 55 mph you use 2 gallons more,if you believe it. :shades:
    ?????????????

Funny but now VW has ditched the Rabbit moniker and going back to calling it the Golf internationally. Good move, I think.
  • relldonrelldon Member Posts: 8
    My Mazda dealers in the Richmond, VA area seem to only have automatic transmission available in the 2010 Mazda 3 i touring. To get manual transmission, you have to buy an s. Is this something unique to the dealers in Central Virginia or is this a nationwide policy of Mazda to make available on the dealers' lots automatic in the i models and manual transmission in the s models? I realize that I could order a manual in i and wait for it to be built. But I'd like to buy one off the lot, with manual. Any suggestions?
    THINK U R RT .
    try cars direct .com or auto trader
    Ok sir, have a great Easter!
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Just because the wheel is larger in no way means that the diameter of the tire is larger.

Agreed -- that's why I qualified my answer. I didn't have the data to know whether the diameter was actually different, so it was hypothetical.

Of course if the diameter is the same and the wheel is larger, then the tire is lower perspective. A lower perspective tire should squirm less which might improve the mileage (total miles per tire, not mpg) slightly.
    Changing it from Golf to Rabbit wasn't a smart move. Much like when Ford changed the name of the Ford Five Hundred to the Taurus (and the Mercury Milan to the Sable)! The Rabbit name was hardly prestigious. Most would-be buyers of the Golf/Rabbit probably didn't even know the Rabbit name since it was last used in 1984. Using the Golf name in all markets makes much more sense.

I am glad that they use the Jetta name in the U.S., though. It's called the "Bora" in other markets...
    Take a look at the GTI and Golf on the MSN web page. Wow! They might have just bent the sheet metal,however watch out Mazda. Hyundai won for appeal again,but I'd like to see the specs.
    OMG sooooooo coooool! I'm going down to my local VW dealer now to preorder/get one! Hellz yea!
  • vanquish421vanquish421 Member Posts: 4
    So there's no doubt that my next car will be a Mazda3, the only thing I'm undecided on is whether to buy an "i Touring" model or "s Sport" model. Either way, I'm definitely slapping these rims on and I just wanted to know what you other Mazda3 enthusiasts think of them: link title

Enkei makes great rims and they're not too heavy. Just don't know if I want them in black or silver. I was planning on going with 18" and getting a tire package with it from the same website all for about $1,600, which is including the rims, sport tires, shipping, and tire pressure monitoring gauges installed on all 4 wheels.

So...thoughts? Recommendations? Links to other attractive rims?

Also, when you upgrade rims is it fairly easy to sell the factory rims and tires? Like to a tire shop maybe? There's always eBay, I guess.
    The s Sport 4-door is priced $1,240 higher than the i Touring 4-door. For that $1240, here are the differences/upgrades:
    The i's engine is 2.0L, 148hp, 135lb-ft of torque
    The s engine is 2.5L, 167hp, 168lb-ft of torque (both figures at 500rpm lower than 2.0L)
    Manual transmission is 5-speed with 2.0L or 6-speed with 2.5L

The s Sport adds:

-Trip Computer/Outside Temp Gauge
    -Electroluminescent Tri-Mode Gauges- White-on-Black (daytime), Red-on-Black (night) and Blue (entry).
    -17" Alloys in place of 16" Alloys (the 17's will sell for more on eBay)
    -Leather Wrapper Steering Wheel and Shift Knob
    -Sport Seats
    -Rear Lip Spoiler
    -Sport-type, body-colored grille
    -Fog lamps
    -Turn Signal Repeaters in Side-view Mirrors
    -Tech Package offered on 's' models only- Nav system, Advanced Keyless Entry and Push Button Start
    -Velocity Red and Celestial Blue exterior colors only available on s models
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    than 2010, IMO.
    I just don't like the tail lights on the 2010. I've seen a few 2010 on the road and they don't impress me much, defnitely not head turner like last generation's Mazda3. That is the same reason why I purchased the 2009 Mazda 3 instead. You get a lot for your money. And because the dealers have to move the 2009 off the lot, you can get a great deal by going with the 2009 model. The 2010 may be a bit quieter, but for $2,000 - $3,000 more?? No thanks.
  • vanquish421vanquish421 Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, I actually knew all that stuff already. While that is probably the best deal on the new Mazda3 considering the mere $1,240 difference between it and the i Touring model, I'm leaning more toward the i Touring because many reviews I have read claim that they felt little difference in performance between the two engines. All the other included features are cool but not worth the price of a good rims package IMO. Also, though it doesn't list it when selecting a trim level on the "build a vehicle section", the i Touring actually includes sport seats as well.

Plus most everything else could be easily bought aftermarket for cheap (electroluminescent gauges, interior lighting, leather shift knob, spoiler, grille, fog lamps, etc.). Thanks for the input.

Do you guys think 18's on a 3 is a good idea or would you go with 17's?
    Most cars (the 3 included) will actually lose handling if you move to a wheel size beyond 17". In fact, many of the folks that I know that race on weekends drop their wheel sizes to 16" and even 15" (if they can find a set that will clear the brakes). Why? Better lap times.

Said another way, with a Mazda3, there is no way I'd go beyond 17".

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    A followup to my earlier posting referring to the Mazda2. In today's Globe and Mail, Jeremy Cato talking to Mazda CEO Takashi Yamanouchi at the New York Auto Show said:

" ... he dropped a bombshell, an exclusive for The Globe and Mail: The Mazda2, a slick little subcompact sold in Europe and Asia, is coming to Canada. "I've just decided," Yamanouchi said. He would not confirm a launch date, but it's likely to be within the year, if not sooner. The Mazda2 will likely be priced below $15,000 to start. As a versatile, stylish and fuel-efficient subcompact, it is a perfect fit for Canada. The car is designed to compete against the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent and Chevrolet Aveo, among others. The Mazda2 is also the foundation for the Ford Fiesta already on sale in Europe and other markets. The Fiesta is due at a 2011 model. Yamanouchi said Mazda has wrestled with the decision to add the subcompact to the Mazda Canada's lineup. The fear has been that Mazda3 buyers will opt for the less expensive but smaller Mazda2. "There has been a lot of discussion about that," he said. "There is concern it would cannibalize Mazda3 sales. We need it to be incremental."
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I felt a difference between the 2.0 and 2.3 when I was shopping in late 2007. Ended up buying an i touring anyway because while it was noticeably less powerful than the s, it was plenty powerful enough for my needs, and better gas mileage. Your priorities may be different. As for the wheels, I can't see paying 10% of the vehicle purchase price for wheels and tires. And those performance tires are surely not going to last as long, and will be expensive to replace. Again, me being sensible and rolling on stock 16"s. To each his own. They do look sharp. If it was me buying today, and I had a shorter commute, I'd get the 3s because I think a 6-speed manual would be a lot of fun, and those extra features for $1200 is a good deal. Let us know what you decide.
  • rockymtnhirockymtnhi Member Posts: 19
    You are on the money. I run Miclhelin pilots 16" and I think they are H rated or VR makes no difference I keep it under a hundred.
    I was going to get a Mazda GT,but that ugly smile on the front makes the car look gay.The Grill on the car should be like the one on the MazdaSpeed 3 2008.5 that's better air induction.
    However, the Speed is now screwed up(2010) with scoop on hood. So I'm waitng for the Speed or the GTI. The reason being I never saw a GTI looks so good.
    Shipo ,ever fly a Great Lakes AT12 Aerobatic?It's loads of fun. I flew off the JFK, VFMA 323 Death Rattlers glad to meet another pilot. :shades:
    I'd go with 16's defintely not with an 18
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Why would larger wheels degrade handling? Just curious as to why that would be the case, I thought the less sidewall the better the handling would be, not that I would want huge wheels with rubberband tires myself.
  • mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    I agree! I'll take the 2009 styling on the inside and outside over the 2010 any day. I would have preferred to see Mazda not copy the Camry/Lancer angled tail light design on the 2010. Beyond the smile what really bothers me on the 2010 front end are the fog light bezels. It looks stupid IMO. That is why I bought two 09's. Both an "i" and an "s".
    There was a study done a few years back that looked at handling and wheel size, and what they found was that, in general, the "sweet spot" for handling was with wheels in the 16" to 17" size range. Below that and the side wall typically gets too tall for crisp responsiveness, and above that the rotational mass of the wheel has been moved far enough out from its axis and tends to resist steering inputs as a child's gyroscope resists his or her movements.

IIRC, the study also indicated that larger wheel sizes also negatively impact braking and to a lesser degree, acceleration.

I'll poke around and see if I can come up with it or a suitable alternative (there have been several such studies; I've only read the one).

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Are you getting a manual or automatic transmission? The 2.0L/5MT should be a decent performer, 0-60 in the high 8-sec range and 33mpg highway. The 2.5L/6MT doesn't improve much on the 2.3L/5MT's 0-60 (mid/high 7-sec range), but most reviewers say that it feels faster around town (benefit fo the additional 18lb-ft of torque at 500rpm lower). The performance gap will be greater between the 2.0L and 2.5L with the 5AT. Even if the 0-60 times are only 1-second or so apart (as they are on the '09 automatic models), the 2.5L's addtional torque will perform better with the AT. '

Personally, I like the look of the 's' grille and fog lamps (and leather wrapped steering wheel is a must), but those are obviously a matter of opinion. The 17" wheels on the s are also high on my list. The '09 i Touring Value had 17" standard, too bad they didn't carry over to the new i Touring.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Mazda is offering the Bose stereo (Moonroof/Bose/6-CD Pkg) on the i Touring and s Sport models, not just the s Grand Touring. The i Touring with Moonroof/Bose/6-CD and the base s Sport are actually priced within $150 of each other. I'd have a hard time choosing between those two! I'd love to see the Bose stereo as a stand-alone option, but I'll take what I can get! I'm also glad to see the navigation option available on all s models, not just the Grand Touring....and it's not ridiculously over-priced anymore! :D

The 'i' vs. 's' debate isn't relevant to me personally, though. The 5-door is 's' only and, after having my '06 5-door for over three years, I don't think I can ever go back to a sedan (trunk) again!
    The Speed3 has 18" with 215/45 tires compared to the 17" with 205/50 tires on the '09 s. Why would the Speed3 have 18" wheels if they reduced handling performance? Just an observation, I'm no expert. :)

Personally, I think the 17" wheels are a "must" on the MZ3. The 17" wheels are actually how I ended up buying a 5-door when I got my '06. I was shopping for an s 4-door 'Touring' (the s Sport had 16") but I couldn't find one in my color choice (Titanium Gray) with manual transmission and no options. Since all 5-doors have the 17" wheels, I had a much easier time finding the color/tranny combo with no options. And now I'm a hardcore fan of the 5-door bodystyle!
    There are other considerations regarding wheel size, not the least of which is the size of the brakes. I've never looked at a MazdaSpeed3, however, it sounds exactly like the kind of car for which one would want large brakes, possibly large enough to require 18" wheels to clear the calipers.

Bbest regards,
    Shipo
    I personally think the MazdaSpeed3 is a completely different car than Mazda3, in terms of needs, price and performances.
    If you want a MazdaSpeed, you are not having the same requirements as you would when shopping for a Mazda3.
    I don't like how stuffs are placed in the center console either. It just doesn't look anywhere as sharp as the 1st generation.
    and there are enough improvements in the 08 and 09 models and more stuff added to the Touring Value Edition that, its a better car AND at better price.
    Everyone has their own preferences, that's why there are so many makes and models out there. But if anyone is in the budget of around $15 - $18K, small sedan, the 09 is a no brainer. I looked at 09 and 10 side by side for comparison many times and I still like 09 better.
    BTW, one thing I absolutely LOVE about the Mazda 3 is its feel when compare to BMW 3 series. My parents have a BMW 3, I used to drive it a lot and the Mazda 3 feels and handle very much like a BMW, for about $10-$15K less! and BMW 3 is even a smaller car than the Mazda 3. I amd 6"1 and I bumped my head every time I got in that car, not so with the Mazda 3.
    I've been looking for an 09 Mazda HB GT and there are no such animals to be had any where.I like the 09 better than the 2010.
    Also,I don't know why you are forced to buy an S model for a HB.I priced out a VW GTI and it came to$ 25300. 6spd. sunroof and heated seats.Also, the milage was a little better than the Mazda,go figure.
    Do you or anybody on here know when or why in 2008 Mazda came out with the I New Value?
    Also, what does DSG (dual clutch mean?) and is a diesel engine in a small car worth it? I can't see spending @23k for a Mazda speed and getting 20 mpg.
    Ya but can you have 16" wheels on the sport,or does it screw up the brakes?
    I thought the i Value Edition was not added until 2009, which gives you 17" alloy wheels, fog lights, leather covered shift and steering wheel. Its just a way to boost sales for the 2009 models. The model is aging and 2010 is on its heel.
    DSG is just a hybrid of manual shift and automatic, but without the clutch. You can do automatic on DSG, or you can also "fake" it and do semi-manual shift. To me, who only drive manual shift, the DSG is useless. You are either a manual guy, or auto.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    In fact, many of the folks that I know that race on weekends drop their wheel sizes to 16" and even 15" (if they can find a set that will clear the brakes). Why? Better lap times.

I talked with BMW and Honda racer TC Kline and he told me that he ran 205/55-16s(instead of the stock 225/55-16s) on his 318ti racers for that exact reason. He noted that the 205s had more than ample grip and that the car also felt better on the track. I followed his advice the last time I replaced the tires on my Club Sport and I agree 100%.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Seriously, most of us who are everyday drivers, don't really care if 16" or 17" is better. 17" looks nicer, the car came with 17" and that's what I am sticking with. For a few who owns Mazdaspeed and plan to race or drive really fast, I can see how its important, but not for me and my Mazda 3 2.0.
  • mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    The 2009 "ITV" sedan is a buy! I am probably the only one who would rather have the 16" wheels but you are right about the improvements made in the last few years. The handling is excellent. I predict that the current 2010 design will NOT live to see a six year production run like the first generation Mazda 3. I give the 2010 two years before it gets an exterior cosmetic update giving the dealers and many of us a hopefull sigh of relief.
    Nope, I'd rather have 16" wheels as well, however, my 2009 "iTV" was such a smokin' deal I'm just living with the seventeens.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    The Speed3 has 18" with 215/45 tires compared to the 17" with 205/50 tires on the '09 s. Why would the Speed3 have 18" wheels if they reduced handling performance?

Could be just for appearance...same reason they put spoilers on the rear of front wheel drive cars.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The Speed3 has 18" with 215/45 tires compared to the 17" with 205/50 tires on the '09 s. Why would the Speed3 have 18" wheels if they reduced handling performance?

Both '09 and'10 speed3's have 18" wheels. No speed3 ever had 17" wheels