Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    From a Mazda Press Release for the 2009 Tokyo Auto Show

"Mazda SKY-G is a next-generation direct injection gasoline engine with significantly improved fuel economy and output performance due to enhanced thermal efficiency. ... Specifically, fuel economy and torque are improved by approximately 15 percent compared to Mazda’s current 2.0-liter engine. This was achieved by adopting next-generation fuel injectors and a highly functional variable valve timing mechanism. The engine enables fuel economy equivalent to the current Mazda Demio (known as the Mazda2 overseas) to be achieved in a vehicle the size of a Mazda Axela (Mazda3)....Mazda’s next-generation SKY-Drive automatic transmission ... improves fuel economy by approximately five percent, due to a complete redesign that significantly reduces mechanical friction, a revised torque converter and clutch with minimized slip, and an optimized lock-up mechanism."

It sounds like Mazda is moving in the right direction for its future vehicles (like the 2011 Mazda3?).
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    If I'm not mistaken, the SKY-G designation is simply Mazda's version of the Ford Eco-Boost technology.

Anyone?

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 394
    The SKY-G is not turbo charged, so I don't think it is really related to Eco-Boost, though some of the changes to the fuel system may be similar (I don't know for sure). In any case an improvement in Fuel economy is always welcome. I would still like to see fewer revs on the highway in the manual 3 (I still think the engine has enough power to be peppy at highway speeds if it was revving 500-750 rpm less(on my 2007 Mazda 3 sport (5door) at least, just my opinion though), but I am not an engineer for Mazda so will have to assume they know what they are doing .
    Scott
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    While turbocharging is a key component of all of Ford's announced engines, many of the new technologies that Ford has filed for patents on do not require a turbocharger, chief among them is the direct injection technology common to both EcoBoost and SKY-G. Time will tell, but is it my understanding that SKY-G, EcoBoost, and a third acronym (that escapes me for the moment) from Volvo are all based upon the new EcoBoost patents (and pending patents).

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • I'm pretty sure those prefs need to be set by the dealer. Kinda lame if you ask me.....

Joe
  • 26cars26cars Posts: 19
    Popped over here from the Subie forum just to hear some MazdaSpeak and lament the loss (totalled) of my '07 3s, possibly the best car I ever owned (although the '04 6s my ex-wife kept & wouldn't give back was pretty nice too).
    I'm jealous that y'all are tossing around your 3's and I'm not. :cry: Had to get a small SUV and the Tribute, although decent, didn't quite make the cut.
    BTW, to those considering a VW, as temping as they may be (I once owned a Passat), one word of advice:
    DON'T!! Unless you plan on keeping only during warranty period, even then expect a bunch of visits to the dealer. :lemon: My VW was the most trouble-prone vehicle I ever owned, and I bought it new.
  • most folks probably will. this type of story is rare among mkV owners. (especially considering the mkV golf has gotten the much vaunted reccomended rating from consumer reports.)

i hate it for ya though man.
  • most folks probably will. this type of story is rare among mkV owners. (especially considering the mkV golf has gotten the much vaunted reccomended rating from consumer reports.)

i hate it for ya though man.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    My sources from Mazda are telling me quote the opposite. Internally, Japan is not too high on Ford right now. There was always a battle between Mazda-Japan and Ford-USA and exactly what technologies they will be sharing and how they will be incorporated into their vehicles. I happen to know a Mazda engineer who has told me to "not be surprised" to see drastic technology changes in the near future. Something Mazda-Japan has been trying to do for years but, not necessarily allowed to do because of Big Brother Ford. We all know that Mazda is now in complete control of their operations, and we will now be seeing more separation of technologies between the two companies. There will still be tech sharing, but, not at the common pace we are used to seeing.
  • autonomous: I was tolded by the dealer that the sky-G was only going in the SUV's and not the cars, Can you find out if this is true or not? I would like it to be in the cars as well. I have the 2010 3s and would like to see better mpg,s on the 3. I feel the mileage is only 1 or 2 miles better than the 09's and back.
    the dealer (said) ... sky-G was only going in the SUV's and not the cars

Has your dealer seen the following press release from Mazda (go to mazda.com)? At this year's Tokyo Motor Show, Mazda is using its Kiyora concept to show off the SKY technology. The Kiyora is lighter than the Mazda2 which is the smallest car that Mazda produces. The question is how long will it take for Mazda's SKY technology to reach North American shores? My guess is no sooner than 2011 and more likely 2012. This delay would be a bit of a gamble if oil prices go up again and Mazda's competitors continue to improve their technologies.

"The Mazda Kiyora is a compact concept car that is both extremely eco-friendly and fun-to-drive due to the combination of Mazda’s next-generation direct injection Mazda SKY-G 1.3 engine and new compact and lightweight six-speed Mazda SKY-Drive automatic transmission. The Kiyora achieves excellent fuel economy figures of 32 kilometers per liter (under Japan’s 10-15 mode test cycle) aided by Mazda’s unique i-stop idling stop system, regenerative braking, and advanced aerodynamics around a compact body that is 100 kilograms lighter than Mazda’s current mass production model in the same segment"

p.s. 32 kilometers per liter translates into approximately 70 miles per gallon!
  • pkguypkguy Posts: 1
    I'm really disappointed that the 2010 don't seem to have anything but a boring black interior. I currently have an 07 model with the tan and two-tone dashboard. It looks great and everyone always comments how nice my car looks inside, away from the boring grays and blacks so common now. It's enough to make me reconsider another make if'n when the time comes.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 796
    Crystal White Pearl, Black and Graphite are offered with a choice of Black or Dune (beige/tan) interior. Copper Red is only available with Dune interior.
  • So I've now put close to 2,500 miles on my 3 and my gas mileage is flirting with 28.1 and 27.9. I'm quite pleased with this as I have the larger 2.5 engine and most of my commute is stop light to stop light.

I do have to agree with the previous poster about the lack of choices for color on the interior. Its one reason I had to wait for them to find my car as I refused the black interior,.. don't get me wrong though,..its cool at night with the blue ambient lighting but during the day I found it to be just a bit too much on the stark side even with all the metallic accents. I love the tan interior,..the two tones combined with the metal like trim pieces to brighten things up and also help to impart a more upscale feeling.

Also, is it just me or are the fog lights just for show? seems like they make no noticeable difference in visibility when there is fog.
  • dilbertsdub, The fog lights on the car are driving lights, If you want fog lights you need the yellow lights for fog.
  • The fog lights on the car are driving lights, If you want fog lights you need the yellow lights for fog.

Wrong. The Mazda3 has fog lights, like just about every other car with an extra set of lights straight from the factory.

The difference between fog and driving lights is NOT the color of the lens, but the aim of the beam. Driving lights have a more direct beam that shines farther out than most headlights, similar to a high beam. Fog lights spread out the beam of light across the front of the car, and are aimed lower than most headlights, where fog visibility is most beneficial.

As for color? It's a myth. Click me or me for a little more info about the subject.
    close to 2,500 miles on my 3 and my gas mileage is flirting with 28.1 and 27.9. I'm quite pleased with this as I have the larger 2.5 engine and most of my commute is stop light to stop light.

Good to hear but keep on tracking your mileage over the winter. And, brace yourself if you're in a cold climate as your mileage will be affected.
  • Hello all,
    I know im posting in the Mazda followers forum but I am narrowing down my choices to 3 cars. I am up in arms about the 2010 Corolla XRS vs the Mazda 3s Sport vs the Kia Forte SX. All are being shopped as manuals. Ive driven the 3 and the Forte but have yet driven the XRS as they are hard to come by in my neck of the woods. I have also consider the Civic Si sedan but my past 3 cars have all required premium and am growing tired of paying the premium for premium. My wife has a 08 Kia Sedona that is used mostly for family duty so utility is not high on my list. I just want an affordable fun daily driver. My SVT Focus is being retired into track duty so any advice would be welcome. ;)
  • hey Rosko,
    I've been driving foreign cars, manual shift all my life. I tried the Civic before I purchased my Mazda 3, and let me tell you. Mazda 3 has the best manual shift for that price and size range. I've driven Corolla before, and its no match to Mazda 3.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    I have driven the Focus SVT, ST, SES, & SE. The SVT trim got the best steering feel. I'm sure you've been spoiled!

Let me tell ya, I sold my '98 Corolla manual & bought the Focus ST. & I've heard that newer Corolla's electric steering is even more disgusting, no matter which trim you get.

Car&Driver also noted that even some video games got better steering feel than the Civic Si.

That leaves the old Mazda3 the only choice by default, as I'm not sure about the new Mazda3's steering feel, especially when compare to the new 2010 MkVI Rabbit/GTI:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q4/2010_mazdaspeed_3_vs._2010_- - - - - volkswagen_gti-comparison_tests

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q4/2010_mazdaspeed_3_vs._2010_- - - - - volkswagen_gti-comparison_tests/2010_mazdaspeed_3_page_2
    "...the new steering rack substitutes effort for feel."

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/6952ff8- - - - - da96308c97c849c9db557f719.pdf
    STEERING FEEL: 5 points for GTI, 3 points for Mazdaspeed3 -- that's whopping 2 points apart!

& did Consumer Reports just mention how reliable the made-in-Germany non-GTI Rabbit has become lately?
  • podpod Posts: 176
    I recently discovered what a value the Mazda 3 appears to be. I am a minimalist so I may stay with the Mazda 2010 3i (base model below the 3s). I have read and know a lot about it. Some things which I don't know or which give me pause.
    1) Since even the 3 is tuned for performance, is the ride jarring or too communicative, showing all defects on the surface?
    2) How is the road noise on a highway (e.g. us 95)?
    3) Is it possible to turn off the interior lights when driving? Somewhere I read that certain of the dash lights stay on all the time and annoy. I hate light at night.
    4) Have normal sized people (I'm 6 feet and 170#) found the drivers seat too narrow and uncomfortable?
    5) Are the changes between the 2009 and 2010 3i very significant or would I be advised to shop for an unsold 2009?

These are the few criticisms I have read or heard. I chose the 3i base version because I am a luddite (no cell phone even) and hate the pseudo-fog lights (purely decoration, not useful light in fog or rain, they are outrun at 20 mph), mp3 and bluetooth are foreign phrases to me, I don't care about the quality of the radio (a car is a very imperfect chamber) beyond satisfactory; I hate all the nanny gadgets that, say, the Taurus has added. I wouldn't mind ESC but that is not offered on 3i base. Nor is cruise control which I tend to use on highway). ABS are good. I am impressed with the value that the base offers (you CAN get a good car for about $18K that is not a toy).
    I would appreciate it if present owners would alert me to the warts of the 3 series. I am quite struck by the value and can live with a few warts.
  • Yeah my SVTs suspension has since been replaced with a Saleen/Racecraft suspension with new control arm bushings and sway bars front and rear. I do appreciated the steering feel of the Focus and am looking for something similar and have since found the XRS to be lacking but have found a new player with the Lancer GTS. I drove a Forte SX Koup today to kind of getta feel for the SX sedan and found the clutch to be very loose compared to my SVT Focus, even when my last clutch was going out in my Focus. Im sure there will be aftermarket kits in the near future to fix this problem but now it seems to be a rat race between the Lancer GTS and the Mazda 3s with the Forte SX being a distance 3rd. Its also going to depend on the deal. I can get smoking deals on the Forte and the GTS but there inlies the problem of resale also. But I did find a unoptioned Mazda 3s a dealer will part for 18700. Oh man this is getting difficult!! ;)
    Maybe there are super deals on '09 Mazda3s stick...

You should test drive both '09 & '10 Mazda3, not just to see which steering is more commuicative, but you might not appreciate the '10's mid-size bulk w/o a true mid-size sedan's benefits like quietness, smooth ride & rear leg room.

I drove the '09 side-by-side w/ my Focus ST, both wearing 205/50 tires. The Mazda3's steering is more precise b/c the Focus ST's steering is a little elastic feeling. But the Mazda3's steering feels a little too light at very low speeds.

I care about ride comfort, too. & I think Mazda tunes the shock absorbers w/ quick rebound motion not relaxing enough for me. In fact, even when wearing 205/55 tires, I still don't find the old Mazda3 smooth-riding enough over bumps.

The old Mazda3 trail-throttle oversteer a lot. I would only own one with the stability control -- in case the road gets slippery.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023
    A reporter is looking to speak new owners of the 2010 Mazda 3 . Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Wednesday, December 9, 2009.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

To find out whether or not the Mazda3 rides too firm for you, you can also test drive the inexpensive Subaru Impreza, which should have a nice resilient ride & still got better steering feel than the Corolla.
  • whobodymwhobodym Posts: 151
    true, but in quite a bit of inventory browsing, it looks like only 1 car in 50 is Dune, or so. Why??
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I assume because most people prefer black. My own preferences for interior colors are in order: black, dark gray, gray. That two-tone black and tan interior thing Mazda does would be a horror and deal-breaker for me.

I also liked the dark blue interior I had in a Contour long ago, but no one does interior colors like that anymore.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I also liked the dark blue interior I had in a Contour long ago, but no one does interior colors like that anymore.

We had a 2001 Accord LX with a blue cloth interior which I loved. The lighter interiors show dirt terribly (my GF has a Santa Fe with the light colored leather and mats) unless you can get them with black carpet, like in some Fords.

The interior of my '06 Accord has a blue tint; it was the closest I could get! The picture doesn't do it justice.

I don't like black/charcoal or tan. No wonder I am still keeping my old Mazda 3-series -- '90 323 Protege twin cam w/ blue cloth interior.

I really like the green velour interior that came out before I could drive -- The '78 VW Dasher/Rabbit Champaign Edition, the '79 Audi 5000...& these were quite expensive cars most people couldn't afford.

In the mid '90's, Lexus also had green leather interior in some GS/LS sedans, & that was the last beautiful thing I saw.
  • To the people that have the mazda3s sport if you live in the places that have the snow, your going to be realy mad!!!!!!!! :mad: I have the mazda3s sport and just with alittle snow it wasn't good at all no traction control what so ever, I was slipping all over the place and car would not stop without sliding to a stop and i wasn't going fast at all. :mad: . Mazda has lost me as a car buyer :lemon: . I live in ohio.