Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    eeeegh.....need to see it in person.
  • exit123exit123 Posts: 136
    There are plenty of hints here that Mazda is leaving the option for dropping the Mazda3 hatchback on the table. Add the state of the economy worldwide and I suspect there's a good chance they will drop it, and it's getting more likely by the day. How many of you thought there would be a Mazda6 5-door model after you saw all the spy shots, official Mazda photos, insider info, and press releases. I guess you were wrong about that, eh?
  • I wasn't kidding. Let's move on to discussing something... anything... else.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I really like the interior. The only thing about the exterior that bugs me is the over sized "smile" in the front.

I'm a little disappointed with the 2.0L 4 cyl. It looks like Europe will be the first to get the 2.0L with the start-stop idol technology. That's a bummer. I am happy that FE has been improved.

I'm also disappointed with the FE on the 2.5L. I'm not sure how the Mazda6 has a few more ponies and 1mpg better FE. After reading the first drive review, they seem to really be impressed with the power delivery of the 2.5L.

I watched the live debut online, and I will say the car looks really good when seen at all angles and someone standing next to it.

Overall, I like it. I can't wait to get behind the wheel!
  • I agree, I think the smile will be the biggest thing to get used to, but I think it will be ok. I think it will depend a lot on the paint color too. The fuel economy is a little disappointing on the 2.5L, it will be interesting to see some real world numbers once they become available.

Speaking of which... Is there any more information on the expected availability at dealerships?
    I believe our first allocation will be processed December 1st. I'll double check on that. Expect these to be on dealer lots by end of February to early March.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    The 2.5 on the Mazda6 felt a little under-powered; I loved the 6spd. My Mazda6 entry.

I think this output may be more appropriate on the 3
  • I was really excited about the prospects of a new 3, but my god the front end is awful looking. Paint some whiskers on the front and it would look like a large catfish. :cry:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    heh...it's not so bad; probably looks better in person.

I just went for drive in an Acura TL (SH-AWD) and a TSX -- both 09...they look pretty nice in person whereas they look hideous in print (IMO)

• mpg60mpg60 Posts: 71
    it looks like the new 3GT will come with a beige/black interior across the board. i saw one online with a leather interior and what looks like the same sangria red on the new 6
    The two red colors offered are Velocity Red (from 04-06) and Copper Red (06, 08.5-09).

The GT's for 2010 will have either Dune Beige or Black.
  • Does anybody out their know when pricing for the 2010 Mazda3 Sedan will be available and when you will be able to order one.
    I heard it will be in Showrooms late March early April.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Is it too much to expect that a compact car with the same basic powertrain as a midsize get better fuel economy?

Especially with supposed aerodynamic improvements.....what gives? Isn't this supposed to be the so-called "economy class"? How many other manufacturers have better fuel mpg numbers for their midsize offerings than their compact offerings using the same engine and transmission? It is lighter so it must be a lot less aerodynamic or geared differently or something.

I'm just somewhat dissappointed that Mazda couldn't get better mpg numbers with their big 6 in the new "6" and now I see the same thing with the big 4 in the "3".
    Got confirmation today, again, about the 5-door as well as the 2010 Mazdaspeed3. Speculation about the Mazdaspeed3 was it would be a 2011, however, it will be a 2010.

Pricing will be made public in January. After the Detroit Auto Show, in January, you will be able to "build your own" Mazda3 sedan and 5-door on mazdaUSA.com.

Brochures for the 2010 Mazda3 will be available in January and inventory of the 2010 Mazda3 will begin shipping in January and be on dealer lots in early February.

I hope that answers some questions for you all!
    gearing, gearing and more gearing.

Is the Mazda3 really that far off in fuel economy?? Lets see.

Corolla XRS (2.4L 158hp / 162tq) MPG 22/30
    Corolla S (1.8L 132hp / 128tq) MPG 27/35

Honda Civic (1.8L 140hp / 128tq) MPG 25/36

Nissan Sentra (2.0L 140hp / 147tq) MPG 25/33

Mazda3 i (2.0L 148hp / 135tq) MPG 24/33
    Mazda3 s (2.5L 167hp / 168tq) MPG 22/29

With a big power advantage in both 2.0L and 2.5L engines, the FE is not too far off at all compared to the leading competition. Add to the Mazda the huge advantage in driveability, and one can look past the slim mpg disadvantage, especially in a market where fuel is around $2.00/gal.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    especially in a market where fuel is around $2.00/gal.

All things must pass as will this reduction in fuel costs. When world economies pick up.....up will go the price per gallon.

Anyway, I'm not really complaining about the relative fuel economy which is in the ball park. It's just that a lot of people think it was a little short sighted to have the new 6 get about the lowest 6 cyl fuel economy of all midsizers. The Mazda3 2.5L has nice power and great handling. Add really good fuel economy in that package and you would really have a winner. 32 mpg hwy would have been just right to really make this one sing a nice tune. What's wrong with leading the pack in all categories if you have the chance?

Now, for the big grin on the front of the new 3. It's a little much but I guess I could get used to it. Right now it kind of reminds me of the animated movie "Cars"
  • A catfish...nice. I just watched the video of the unveiling at the LA Autoshow. The covering came off the front first. Silence. As the cover was yanked off the back of the car then came the reserved applause; like you'd hear when the ball dropped into the cup after the fifth putt. If your state has a white license plate, will it look a single tooth in the middle of a grin?
  • Real world fuel economy will be the issue. It seems that in the real world Corollas exceed the MPG ratings and Civics come closer to EPA ratings than 3s and Sentras although the MPG difference is not that big.

I live in Brooklyn, NY. I don't drive to work so I don't always drive in traffic but even when there is no traffic there are many stoplights.

It seems that the MPG of the 3 and the Sentra drop much more in city driving than the MPG of Corollas and Civics.

On the MazdaAxela forums drivers of 3s w/ automatics, especially the 3S report rarely exceeding 30 MPG on the hwy (it is rated at 29) whereas on the Edmunds forums Corolla owners frequently get 40 on the hwy (it is rated at 35).

I rented a 3I this summer and got the same MPG I get w/ a '96 Altima that is more powerful.

It may be that the torque we love cost fuel economy b/c the Civic and Corolla have less than even the 3I.
    I have also seen in the Mazda3/Axela threads that those with the 2.0L get 34-35 mpg hwy when it is rated at 30mpg, and CR said they got an avg of 30/gal in their tests.

For those with the 2.3L, I have seen plenty get over 30mpg hwy, and here on Edmunds, many have posted getting 32 hwy. I have the 2.3L in my Mazda6 and I get 31-32 highway going 75+ and an average of 25-27mpg overall.

I have seen far more people exceeding their EPA estimates on the Mazda3 then those making par or less.

I have no doubt that the Mazda3, especially the 2.5L, will exceed the EPA estimates. The 09 Mazda6 owners are reporting mileage as high as 34 on the highway in the same 2.5L.