Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• gamehawkergamehawker Member Posts: 17
    The price I paid for a 2010 Equinox LT2 (mocha steel metallic), 4 cyl,, fwd, heated leather seats (jet black/brownstone), rear entertainment, cargo management package and sunroof was $29,575.

I traded my 2000 Dodge Durango in for "cash for clunkers" and got $4,500 for it and another $1,000 in conquest money.

So with taxes, title/registration less the cfc and Conquest - out the door was $25,7249.44.
  • bell23bell23 Member Posts: 1
    I've had our equinox for over 2500 miles. We are averaging over 26.5 mpg by tracking the total miles divided by total gallons. We have the 4 cylinder and drive more country roads than city.

We had two individual tanks get over 30 mpg which were during a vacation trip.

The vehicle with the 6 speed transmission seems to always be able to put the rpm between 1500 and 1900. This gives the good mileage and the lower rpm is quiet.

We tried the eco button and it makes the vehicle a little hesitant to accelerate. Since it takes some of the fun out of driving, I use it only on long trips.

Climbing big hills on the freeway you can watch the car shift from 6th to 5th to 4th. Each shift jumps the rpm about 1000 each step: 2000-3000-4000 rpm. It never shifted beyond that while keeping the 70+ speed steady. The cruise varied by less than 2mph.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I drove 2 Nox's both AWD on a 4 the other a 6 and I didn't like the shifting each time you stepped on the gas. It didn't matter if I was go 30, 40, or 60 the lightest pressure on the gas pedal and it would have to downshift before speeding up. To me this was bothersome and I didn't care for it. Are others noticing this too?
  • charla1charla1 Member Posts: 10
    Really great deal with all those options.
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    What you describe is pretty normal for any vehicle with a 6 speed automatic. You'll probably get used to it pretty quick, and it won't be obtrusive. Also, on the 4 cyl, you can turn ECO mode on to reduce downshifting to some extent.

If you really don't like the frequent shifting, check out a vehicle that has a continuously variable transmission - Nissan Murano, etc. Then you won't have any shifting at all.
    The 4 cyl has electric power steering. The steering has no play, but feels "vague" and gives little feedback compared to hydraulic power steering. The brakes work fine, although they require a higher pedal effort than many current vehicles.

These weren't deal breakers for me, but they may take a little time to get used to, depending on what you currently drive.
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    LT2 4cyl AWD List was $27,195
    Total $1665 for options, heated leather seats, power tailgate, black granite paint and minus the USB Port (-$75 since they forgot to install it).
    $745 for delivery
    $2,072 for tax
    Registration was $60

Clunked a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 140,000 for $4500
    Topped it with a trade of '03 Trailblazer, 70,000 mi for $8,500 (and $595 tax reduction)
    $1,000 Conquest cash.
    $1000 Dealer Loyalty cash

Walked out the door with a New '10 Nox for $16,142.

I might add I turned down a new '09 Nox for $6,000 cash lower price, though it only qualified for $3500 Clunker Cash, $5000 net difference.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    do they all only come in 2-tone?
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    Also come in all black with red stitching. Ours is this way - very sharp. Additional leather options on 2LT trims and the higher one (forget its name - LTZ?).
    thanks...
    and does the AWD model come with the AWD lock?
    Don't know. Didn't look at or research AWD models.
  • back2frontback2front Member Posts: 42
    Not sure what you mean by a AWD Lock, but you can disable the AWD and use FWD only. The AWD will engage automatically when the vehicle is shut off and re started or you can also engage it manually.
  • ulliulli Member Posts: 14
    How do you do this?
    AWD lock is a function which you can make a AWD vehicle going full time 4wd instead of just sending power to the wheel which is slipping. And usually when the AWD lock is engaged, the vehicle speed is limited to 50mph. It's a very good function when going up and down on a snowy mountain road.
    Still how do you MAKE it work. I have had AWD on cars before and never heard of this function. Is there a button?
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    i see the 2010 nox has earned the insurance institute for highway safety's "best pick" award.
    It is always in AWD by default, [ I heard somewhere that when you reach 40mph it automatically goes to FWD but I'm not sure about that]there is a button on the center console that when pressed it turns off the stabli-trac [sp] and when pressed twice and held down for a couple of seconds it turns off the AWD and shows an Icon on the dash cluster showing it has been disabled. If you hit the button again for the third time it will turn it all back on, or when you start the vehicle the next time it will be on.

I had a jeep with 4x4 and this is entirely different so I really don't know much about it other than what I stated above.
  • sheposhepo Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

First time poster, long time lurker. Thanks so much for all the great info the seasoned vet's have posted here. Long story short I'm very interested in purchasing the LT2. Pretty much figured out what I'd like with the exception of 2 items I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on to help:

1) 17" or 18" wheels on the LT2 (going with the chrome package). Any difference in MPG?

2) What are the key differences between the 3 additional audio choices...I'm struggling with what each offers?

Thanks so much in advance!
  • ulliulli Member Posts: 14
    I haven't received my vehicle yet ( on order ) but the short version of the owners guide available on line indicates that 1st press of the button turns off the traction control: press and hold and both the traction control and the stabilitrack are turned off. Does this mean the AWD?
    if there isn't a button for it, then I guess there is no AWD lock.
    there is one on the Hyundai Santa Fe and several other vehicles that I can't remember right now...
    stablic-trac and the AWD lock funtion aren't the same. thanks for your reply though. :shades:
    I think you need to reread that in the manual, as I believe what it does is push it to tun off traction control and hold it like you said turns off the stability control. This happens on every GM I'm aware of. The AWD is basically like a limited slip differental and there for non controlable.
    Stabilitrack is a function that started out on top heavy vehicles to help it from tipping over in an accident by adjusting which wheels get the braking. Has NOTHING to do with turning on/off the AWD.
    Like I said I'm really not too familiar with the AWD function, but the way I understand it is when you push the button you turn off the traction control. The FWD runs 100% and when slippage is detected it transfers power to the rear wheels. If the traction control is off then the slippage would not be detected and not transferred to the rear wheels thus meaning the AWD is disabled. I could be miles from the truth but that is how I understood it. My bottom line is it gets me through the snow. :)
    Wrong again. Traction control works like this. You have 4 wheels on any vehicle. When one of those wheels starts to spin the traction control applies the brake to it stopping it from spinning. That is all it does. Traction control comes on most cars for free at a certain price point and an option on most of the rest. It doesn't matter whether you have RWD, FWD, or AWD whatever tire is spinning the brakes stop it. The reason there is a button to turn it off is if you get stuck in snow/mud you may want to try and rock the vehicle back and forth trying to unstick it. This can't happen if the traction control is engaged so you turn it off so the tires will spin allowing you to rock it. Using your thoughts then on a FWD or RWD if you turn off the traction control what happens, NO WHEEL DRIVE? I don't know who gave you your info but they were completely wrong. Again, there is NO SIMPLE WAY of turning off AWD without tearing out the unit.
    To answer your question - No, there is no AWD lock function on the Equinox. The AWD operates in automatic mode only.

And to respond to some other comments, the AWD cannot be turned off.

Also, there seems to be some misconceptions about exactly what AWD, traction control, and stability control do for you. These are all systems that help to keep you moving and in control on slippery surfaces. A little time with Google (or your owners manual) can get you the technical details if you need them.

For most drivers and most situations, there's no need to do anything except to let the electronics work their magic while you drive. The one exception is that it may be necessary to turn off the traction control system if you are stuck in deep snow or mud and need to "rock" the vehicle to get out. In that case, the system may control wheel spin too much, preventing you from getting un-stuck.
  • genoxgenox Member Posts: 1
    It took exactly 8 weeks to get my Nox. I ordered a front wheel drive 2LT with the chrome package. I received it Saturday and Sunday my wife and I took a 400 mile trip From Hamilton Ohio to Mansfield Ohio. To get a proper break in on the car, we took all back roads, mostly route 42. There were several towns to go through with many stop and starts. I’m writing this to tell you that you can get great gas mileage with this car. On this trip I got 30.5 mpg. I also took it up to 70 mph for a few seconds to see what it would tach at. The engine is only turning 2000 rpm’s at 70. Before you go out and buy one, you need to know that, to get this mileage, you have to drive it like a Toyota Prius; be patient and very light on the gas. Anyway, I love the car, especially with all the gizmos in it.
    As I stated several times I'm not very familiar with this. Most of the info I got right here from this forum so I guess several of us were WRONG again. Thanks for clearing up several of the misconceptions. :blush:
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I took a look at an Equinox the other day.

FYI...For buyers who own a GM already in Canada, GM is offering $1000 loyalty cash on the 2010 Equinox.
    ....and if you decline the 60 days return guarantee, they'll knock off another $500.
    ....still offer the $1000 Conquest cash for a non-GM title in the household.
    Also saw in the paper today, 2.9% for 60 months through GMAC. Not too bad.
  • trojanfantrojanfan Member Posts: 8
    My understanding is that the 2.9% for 60 months GMAC financing is only available in Canada? Can someone confirm? Don't know why you Canucks get these preferential rates, and us Yanks don't... :(
    Because they are trying to get their ungodly high prices down near ours. :blush:
    There are no financing deals on the US '10 right now. There are deals on the 2009, low APR or cash discount. New financing, if any, will be announced for Oct 1.
    Never test drove a Nox with 18" wheels but did drive a Terrain with 18" a couple of weeks ago. I was told the T and the Nox have the same suspension. The 17" on the Nox definately offer a smoother ride over bumps. The 18's on the Terrain felt like they were jumping off the road, a harder ride.

I'll stick with my 17" Michelins.
    I bet if you got on a tire site and punched in the sizes etc. that you would find that the 17" wheel/tire dia. is the same or almost the same as the 18" wheel/tires. Which means the 18' has a smaller sidewall which means the tires require more air than the 17" tires so the wheel doesn't contact the road on most bumps thus giving it a much harsher ride. My car is that way except the optional wheels for mine were 17" instead of 16" and the outside dia. is almost the same but mine requires 5 more pounds of air than the 15's.
  • vj0671vj0671 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have been actively reading all the threads here, never posted though.. first time here..

Can the owners of 2010 Equinox 4cyl (AWD/FWD) post their real world driving/handling impressions. We are planning to buy one soon and would be nice to know how it is.. I'm curious how the 4cyl handles/accelerates/cruises/overtakes in city/highway considering the vehicle is almost 3700 pounds. I'm not expecting to go street racing in this thing, but would be nice to know it has decent power for everyday use.
    How is the braking..? I read some folks say its kinda mushy? It would be nice if folks can share some real world driving experience.
    I have a FWD 4 cyl. For driving impressions, it is very nice. The electric steering found in the 4 cyl. models understeers a little bit at lower speeds (under 10 mph), but overall is pretty nice. The brakes are perfect for my liking. Some people like brakes to bring you to a screeching stop by barely touching them - not me. It is a heavy vehicle, but doesn't drive like one. I think the 4 cyl. has plenty of power considering it is an almost mid-sized SUV. Turning radius is good for a vehicle its size, and the tires are great (possibly the best passenger tires in the world considering traction, wear rating, rolling resistance). Hwy driving experience is great. Some professional reviewers thought the ride was too harsh - I think it is a little too soft so I pumped the tires up a couple psi extra and it is great. Seats very comfortable. Wind noise almost non-existant (by comparison the Rav 4 seems like you're in a wind tunnel).

The only thing I'll say otherwise for driving experiences is to look out for tranny behavior issues (see the "tranny issue" threads in the Equinox space). This can be remedied easily by a reflashing of the computer, so don't let your opinion be swayed by the driving characteristics described in those threads by myself and others. But definitely check out those threads.
  • rhtinkerrhtinker Member Posts: 3
    I have the LT2 4 cy model and I have just completed a trip from Kansas to Maine and back. Ihave had no problem with the handeling or the power. Most of the time I was running between 70 and 75. I averaged 29.5 MPG for the whole trip and that included city and highway driving combined. As far as the transmission I have never had a problem with it.
  • rbtrbt Member Posts: 2
    I agree with your 3rd-row seat comments for an SUV this size. I saw the new ones this weekend, along with the new GMC Terrain, and found both to look great--inside and out, be well equipped and possible contenders. However, I was very disappointed in the comfort and fit of the front seats. There was very little support or depth to the seats and the headrest hit me in all the wrong places--very disappointing. I also agree with the need for a good econimical V-6. The 4 might work for these crossovers, but I'll bet it's a strain. GM is going in the right direction, just not quite there.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "From its contemporary styling and class-leading features to its competitive pricing and miserly fuel economy, the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox is the right SUV for the times, and not a minute too soon for GM."

The Things That Buyers Want (Inside Line)

• jklossnerjklossner Member Posts: 1
    You liked it a little too much in my opinion - I drove one from Buffalo to Montreal and back...an LT 2 - brand new - all tire pressures set properly before the trip etc..The packaging is "okay" but a lot of craptastic finishes...Please note this is the same length as a Toyota Highlander without the benefit of the Highlander's width. A better comparo is a 4 cyclinder Hyundai Santa Fe...GM loves to compare vehicles that simply aren't the same size as the competition - ex. a Honda Pilot vs the Traverse with that [non-permissible content removed] Howie Long - the Traverse is nearly a foot longer - of course it holds more crap! The Nox is a bad value compared to the new 2.7L Highlander or the Santa Fe - even with all the neat standard features GM includes.

The biggest issue is - the Nox handles poorly (worse than the softly sprung Highlander) YET somehow manages to have a harsh ride on anything but perfect pavement. The worst of both worlds! Well done GM.

I drove conservatively with 2 people in the Nox and never got better than 26 mpg (granted it had 10 miles on the odo at the start of the trip). Not a 100% sure how this is a competitor to the CR-V or RAV4...It is still miles behind in refinement...
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    As usual even when they get something right,they can't get it right.Try to find a LS to test drive.
  • fstumpfstump Member Posts: 10
    I've had my 4 cyl, FWD LS for about a month and a half and so far I'm very satisfied. I've been getting great gas mileage for a vehicle this size, up to 33.3 on the highway at 65 to 70 MPH. I drive a lot of rural 2 lane roads with small towns every few miles and have averaged a little better than 29 mpg. I have towed my small 14 foot aluminum boat with 20 HP motor a couple of times and really couldn't tell it was there. The FWD was great on the steep boat ramps, no slippage at all. I'm of average size, 5'9" and 165 pounds and the seats are the best that I've had. I have a friend that is 6'10" tall (yes 6'10") and he can enter & exit the front passenger seat with out any problem. If you keep it in the ECO mode there is a decrease in the acceleration but I have more time than money so it doesn't bother me to get to the next intersection a couple of seconds after someone who is in a hurry. The fit and finish is also very good, have not found any mistakes in either. The price was great, I traded in my 24 year old S-10 pickup that was starting to cost me money and wrote a check for $17,084.08, this included NC sales tax, registration and plates. Everything considered I'm very happy with the vehicle.
    Good review by Edmunds. The model pictured is real sharp, love it.
  • kwnoxcakwnoxca Member Posts: 8
    have my nox 1LT (L4) for one week. when standing outside, I find the noise from engine compartment is quite high...even much more noisy than my 03 malibu (V6). Is L4 engine suppose to be noisy :confuse: ? I didn't notice it when testing driving...will go to drive other nox at dealer this weekend.
    Could be a couple thing you are noticing. Likely nothing is wrong. The first is that this engine can be a little louder, and sound different, than some other new engines because of the direct injection. If the noise you are talking about is specific to startup, you might be hearing the sound of the catalytic converter being heated up. For the first 20 seconds or so upon startup the vehicle heats it up so it works better faster to reduce emissions (a govt. regulation thing). They are coming out with a computer update (not sure when) to improve how it does this for those that are bothered by how it currently does it.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    How do you find the comfort level in you Nox? Is it better than ...say a mid size sedan?
    Thanks wallyuwl. I did notice the startup noise decreases around 10-20 secs when sitting inside. The engine (or other mechanical stuff?) noise from the compartment doesn't reduce ever after the nox warms up. Maybe you are right that direct injection makes more noise. I'm going to compare other nox at the dealer.

BTW: dose anyone know how to tell if the active noise cancellation system works inside? I didn't find any clue in the manual.
    It is very comfortable :) . I like the seat that really reliefs driving stress. the vehicle runs very stable. I feel the nox leans much less on freeway ramps than my 03 malibu.