Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox

halwghalwg Member Posts: 2
My take is this on what was reported for the 2010 Equinox. Who would want a 3rd row of seats in a vehicle of this size? Right now it has adequate passenger and cargo room. I think a 3rd row defeats the purpose of having an SUV.

Secondly, I think it's too large of a vehicle for a 4 cylinder engine. Chevy should tweak the 6 cylinder to make it more responsive and use somewhat less fuel. An SUV (or crossover if you prefer) is never going to get fantastic gas mileage. If you want that buy a Honda Civic hybrid.

Comments

• grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    I agree!

And what will happen with the famous 8 inches sliding second row seat. If they do that I guess the second row seat will be stable. They better think it over twice.
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    I looked up online and looked at the 2010 model and it looks to be a vast improvement. The inside especially looks like it finally even looks nicer than the foreign competition. It said on one of the websites that it is supposed to achieve 30mpg on the freeway, that is a whole lot better than my sister gets in her 2008 Honda cr-v. With how nice the Malibu is, hopefully GM will start to pull itself out of the financial mess with new cars like the new Equinox, that's if the unions will release the choke hold.
  • daddysangeldaddysangel Member Posts: 14
    joshuag, don't hold your breath regarding the auto union releasing their choke hold anytime soon.

So far, it appears to me, auto union management is dragging their heels until after the new 2010 contract takes effect...despite the appearances of what has been said and done in the media & forum(s) spotlight.

IMHO...the Fat Lady has not sung.

Daddysangel.
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    This is a car that makes me hope that Chevy makes it - it looks good and looks prepared to take on the competition.

We shall see, wife will be in the market for a replacement SUV next year...
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    If they don't smarten up and start to release the choke-hold, they are going to be the ones who will be responsible for these companies shutting down, and everyone will know it. And because of that nobody will trust a union again, because everyone will know that they really aren't out for the workers.

Toyota sold about the same amount of cars last year and they have 11 billion in the bank. Granted, some of it maybe bad financial descisions, but a lot of it is to high employee cost.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    I don't understand your criticism. I see nothing about a third row seat, Thank goodness. The rear seat moves back and forth 8" for more legroom or cargo capacity as needed.

The new 2.4L, 4 cyl engine has 182 hp while providing 30mpg/21. I think that is fantastic!

Looking at the exterior dimensions it is not that different than the new Venza.

With the new improved interior a la Malibu and a much better exterior design I think GM has a winner. :D
  • joeblack1joeblack1 Member Posts: 52
    Does anyone know if the steering has been redesigned? The biggest criticism I have heard about the Equinox in the past is the play in the steering and it is the one thing that has kept me from buying one as it reminds me too much of my Suburban which has been plagued with a similar problem and is really annoying, especially on a straight highway requiring constant corrections way back and forth.

Also, has anyone seen any estimates of availability?
  • gary100gary100 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are deciding on what crossover to buy. I've read the reviews on the Equinox but have yet to drive one. We've walked through dealerships on Sunday when they are closed and found a few 2009 LS and LT that were unlocked. They seemed to have more room than most crossovers it's size however, the interior does not seem as good as some of the others we have looked at. We plan on driving the Equinox this week. We are very curious of how the ride will be. We did see a couple vehicles at the dealership that we are interested in. The price is much better than the Mazda CX7 we have been looking at. I like the look of the 2010 inside and out. It may be smart to wait til this summer. Don't want to make the wrong move.
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    I recommend waiting for the new model this spring. It is all new. It will have much better powertrain options. I also think the looks are vastly improved. I believe you would be glad you waited. Check out the 2010 model.
  • gary100gary100 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks ! We are going to the Auto Show tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the new model !
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    Yes an new V-6 3.0 liter engine will be avaviable , producing 255 hp and 218 lb of torque also the 2.4 liter 180 hp is standard equipment. Both engines will be mated to a six speed transmission, a different type of six speed for the AWD versions.
    They also increased the capacity of the fuel tank to 72 and 75 liters in both FWD and AWD versions. This will help making does long highway trips more enjoyable.
    The 6T70 transmission will be used in the 2010 vehicle . The AWD will have an electronic limited slip (eSLD) which will distribute the Torque from side to side in addition to front and rear axles.
    A great improvement over the previous model.
    The 3.0 liter engine is a smaller displacement version of the 3.6 liter being used at GM. 260 hp and 211 ft/lb torque with six speed transmission 6T70.
  • corttcortt Member Posts: 7
    With the potential passing of the 2009 Saturn Vue 2-mode hybrid, has there been any hints from GM that they will plant the 2-mode V6 hybrid engine(s) in the 2010 Equinox or GMC Terrain? I was all set to buy a small hybrid SUV with some real power options that this Saturn Vue offered, when the floor fell out of Saturn.
    In the pass GM has uses the 2.4 liter engine with a six speed transmission,for better mileage they probable won't use a V-6 . No mention of V-6 hybrid when GM released 2010 info of the new Nox. Check web page "netcarshow.com/chverolet/2010-equinox.com for more info great pic's.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I saw the new 2010 Equinox, and the new GMC Terrain at the NY Auto Show. Both SUV's were on a turntable, but you could get a pretty good idea what each looks like inside. I must say I was very impressed. Not sure if the 4cyl engine would be powerful enough, but a test drive would be in order. Both are offering some nice features that you would normally find on much expensive vehicles, such as a backup camera. I am very interested in seeing what the price will be when both debut in showrooms. GM needs a few hits, and these would fit the bill. I just hope the GM will survive to see them through. :)
  • venusfanvenusfan Member Posts: 4
    My taurus is on it's final legs with me hearing sound and the A/C stopped working so I need a new car soon. I've been looking around at the Murano but for the base they wont $30K msrp which is crazy because inside looks like a rental car. I also checked out the Edge but the interior is YUCK. Then a couple weeks ago I saw the Equinox and all I have to say is please don't go yet Taurus, just three more months.

I like the New Equinox especially with the base starting at 23K. I figure an AWD with sunroof I should be able to walk out the door with under 25K.
  • gunz1gunz1 Member Posts: 9
    I have read nothing re Sunroof or Panoramic? Any info appreciated
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "A gleeful General Motors Corp. says that preliminary tests using the same protocol the EPA employs shows that its redesigned 2010 Chevrolet Equinox crossover SUV will get 32 miles per gallon on the highway."

GM Says 2010 Equinox Crossover Will Win 32 MPG EPA Rating for Highway Driving (Green Car Advisor)

that is big news, it's on my list.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    On my short list.
    Is this mpg with the 2.4 liter engine or the new 3.0 liter V-6 . Yes only with the 2.4 liter engine thanks.
  • opinion13opinion13 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone seen when the office release date that the 2010 Equinox will be in the dealer showrooms??
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    How will GM's chapter 11 bankruptcy status affect the production of the 2010 equinox/terrain? or build schedule of any GM products?
    Gm started building them in March 2009 At the Ingersol plant in Ontario.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    The Car Connection review is very promising... better mileage than an Escape Hybrid. Nice!

http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1021301_first-drive-2010-chevrolet-- equinox
    "Gm started building them in March 2009 At the Ingersol plant in Ontario".

-----------------

I have seen a few of these on the 401 just down from the plant. They look great, more of a presence than the old model. Very modern and sculpted.

GM should have a monster hit on their hands with 32 MPG. I think it's a game changer in the SUV world.
  • corttcortt Member Posts: 7
    Now if they will make a 2-mode hybrid V6 version like the Saturn Vue was going to be. That would give you virtually the same mileage as the 4-cyl but with 250-plus horsepower when you need it. Maybe in 2011....?
    "Gm started building them in March 2009 At the Ingersol plant in Ontario".

March? What are dong with them? Are they for sale in Canada?
    No they haven't arrived at the dealer yet, they still have to unload a large amount of 09 Nox's here. An AD in a local paper from a local chevy dealer advertised an 09 Nox LS not AWD for $19456 down from list of $29450 , a large discount for a new vehicle.

My guess is GM stock piles the new Nox's at the plant an on rail cars I believe it takes three to four weeks by rail to arrive at their final destination. Also the plant won't be up to full speed in production for a few months to work out all the small problems during assembling the new Nox.
    Ya... I have seen 2009 base Equinoxes advertised for C$17,999.

I think they still have lots of them out there to clear out.
    Ya .... maybe one or two 2010's might show up at dealers in the end of june or mid july.
    Out here in the West ( Alberta) a few 2010 Camero's have started to arrive at dealers so The Equinox shouldn't be too far behind. :)
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    My opinion, I like that Chevrolet is finally fixing the new Equinox fuel door to where it can't be opened from outside. No ugly lip on the door. They should have been doing that all along for all the Chevys. Made me stay away from Malibu Maxx.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Are they really fixing it or does it do what most newer GM vehicles do, you push in on the door and it pops open? That would be my guess.
    Probably a push and pop like my Malibu... which is just fine.
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    While getting my 06 Impala serviced at the Chevy dealer, I checked out the new '10 Equinox on the showroom floor. The body looked nice from the outside. I opened the passenger side door and noticed what looked like perforated style fabric on the seats. A lot different that most other seat covering materials and I though it was attractive. I also inquired about the four cylinder wherupon I was told that there also will be a 6 available. Once in the( high step up) drivers seat I noticed the pleasant design of the dash and the logical controls as well as the pop up compartment on the dash at the top of the center stack. It reminded me of the convenience of the popup compartment in my previous Ford 500. The shifter had a rocker type switch to the driver side and the stick had a manual slot on the faceplate to put the shifter. I was told that to use the shifter as a manumatic one had to place the shifter down to the manual detent and then use the rocker on the upper part of the shifter to select the gear - another odd situation form any other manumatic I have driven! As I tried to adjust the seat I found that there was power up and down and seat back adjustments but no power forward and back just a lever at the right front of the drivers seat to manually adjust it. I thought that odd. While my grandson played around in the back seat I noticed that the vehicle had some huge blind spots and the more I looked the more I noticed that it would be like driving in a tunnel all the time! Backing up would really be hard for my wife and I probably would not trust backing up either without some kind of assistance. This was an LT model and while it was the only one they had (salesman stating that they just got it in a few days ago) I had no actual test drive but after the initial perusal I deemed it not in the running for my new vehicle next spring.
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    went to the chevy dealer last nite to check it out as i was waiting for it to hit the showrrom floors. i think it looks like most other new suv's on the road-same sort of design. the appeal to me was of course the fuel efficiency so i was pretty excited to go take a look at it. i thought the interior seat fabric was odd looking-like nothing i had ever seen in a car. on getting behind the wheel it was comfortable but i agree the seat should be power front and back also. not sure if i like the cockpit feel of being behind the wheel, that might be hard to get used to for me. of course the seat in the back still moves back and forth which is nice-but, when you fold the seats down they don't fold flat. that may be a deal breaker for me as i want to be able to put my 2 dogs back there. the cargo area also seemed smaller than the rav or crv from just looking at it. my dealer had 7 of them on the lot and no one else seemed to be giving them a look at all. not sure if it is worth taking the chance on it or just going for the already proven honda or toyota. i didn't drive it yet, but maybe later today i will. i'm a little disappointed but possibly a test drive would make me happier with it. i really wanted to go back to chevy-
    Tunnel? I gather you have not owned a SUV before. Most have blind spots you learn to live with. I always park when I can so I never have to back up. Also, the higher seat is one of the positives I like. You much have better vision over the road. After having a crossover for the last 8 years i could never go back to sedan type vehicle.
    I'm looking forward to testing the new NOX!
    My last 3 crossovers, RX300 and Highlander all had a slight inclines with the seats down. I didn't find it caused any problem for me. Not sure what you mean by cockpit feel, what are driving now? Maybe nobody was looking at them because nobody knows they are at dealers yet?, I sure didn't. Will have to stop in and see this. The MPG's is what is fueling my interest also :)
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    The seats sound like they may be the standard option which would be manual for and aft so the power up/down and seat back adj. would be a plus. I have read that they will have a power 8 way seat with driver 1 & 2 feature which saves 2 peoples driving postions, mirrors, and radio settings. As far as backing up doesn't it come with a rear camera? If not standard I know it is a option.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    I drive a 05 Equinox and I like it very much.

My daughter went to her G.M. dealer, she wants to buy a 09 Aveo 5. The dealer told her that the 1.6 L. engine in the 09 models has 16 valves and develop 108 h/p compared to the 08 models 1.6 L. engines with 8 valves that develop 103 h/p.
    Does 5 h/p make a big difference in a car or it's the valve story that makes a difference?
    She does mostly city commuting but take 1 long road trip every year crossing the Appalachians or the Rockies.
    Is this Aveo5 car good for her ?
    She seems to be in love with it but is it love at first sight?
    it would be nice to have the seats fold flat for the dogs to be back there. i had a trailblazer which i loved but the mpg isn't very good. i still will test drive one but it doesn't seem like it will be right for me.
    This is a totally different vehicle than trailblazer.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    The Aveo is an Asian car (Daewoo) re-badged as a Chevy. It did receive an upgraded engine for '09 but actual performance would not vary much. Maybe slightly better efficiency/power. It is rated 2 MPG higher than the '08 model.

It should be a decent car but power at higher elevations would be poor and the automatic tranny would be a dog trying to get over the Rockies but it can be done.

I'd highly recommend the optional anti-lock brakes. She should be able to get a nicely equipped 2009 Aveo 5 LT for under $15K. Another option I'd consider if buying American is a Ford Focus but no hatchback is currently available.
    i realize this is a totally different vehicle than the trailblazer, its smaller more fuel efficient. i had looked at the equinox back then and didn't care for it at all. i like the truck feel better, but fuel economy suffers so i need to change with the times, so i am looking at smaller suv's. i did get to stop back at the dealer last nite after dinner with my niece and she liked it a lot. she even liked the fabric on the seats which are hard to get used to. it was too late for a test drive so i have to go back again. it looks like they sold one of the 7 they had there-i will say the seats are comfortable.
    I sat in a 2010 Equinox on Saturday when getting an oil change. Over all I was impressed with the quality of the materials though the dash is quite different from anything I have driven before, I am not an SUV guy and this would be for my wife. Cargo room was excellent, seems much bigger than the old Equinox though I don't think it's that much bigger. Outside the Nox seems almost like a mid-size SUV, it's quite big and has a presence. It was standing beside an 09 and the difference is very obvious.

Fuel economy is impressive, it is drawing me to this vehicle. Even 30 mpg highway in the real world (vs EPA 32) would make me very happy. Our lease is not up for 2 years but I will be putting this vehicle on my short list for sure!
  • snowmichsnowmich Member Posts: 2
    and loved it! The interior is beautiful and the seats are very comfortable, even though at 5'2" the seats are a tad long for me. I drove the only one on the lot, which was the 6 cyl in the top trim level and it was very peppy, the ride was very quiet, and it handled bumps in the road nicely. Didn't do any fast cornering with it, but in general the Equinox seemed to be well connected to the road. Steering was responsive, but the brakes seemed to me to be less so, taking a long time to stop--that may be my bias though. My overall impression is so good that this vehicle is now on my very short list. I'm waiting to see the safety ratings (I understand that GM is expecting perfect scores here).

Oh, the other vehicle I'm looking at is the Dodge Journey, which I also liked a lot. The interior is definitely not as rich looking as the Nox, but they both ride quietly and smoothly.

I have no idea how I will make up my mind between these two cars!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I have no idea how I will make up my mind between these two cars!!

If you're at a true impasse then the coin toss approach would be in order. But limit yourself to a single toss. If it was not a true impasse, you'll know it as soon as the coin lands. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • snowmichsnowmich Member Posts: 2
    Ha! the government may be providing that coin toss--we have a '91 GMC Sierra that rates 16 mpg's, and the AWD Journey is EPA rated for 22 hwy, and I think 19 mixed. So the Dodge may not qualify for the cash/clunkers program anyway. I don't know whether the highest mpg rating or the avg mpg will be the benchmark; the website doesn't have much info up right now, so I'll have to wait til the 24th when they expect to have the final ruling out. The Equinox AWD is rated a little higher, not sure what the numbers are. Now it would be a bummer if neither one qualified! If that happens I'll look at the 2010 Subaru outback--it's newly redesigned and has a good AWD system.

Anyway, good advice tidester on the coin toss!!!
    Finally got to see a 2010 equinox ,GM has made some improvements with newly laid out interior with better seats that have some side lumbar support finally. A nice touch is the telescoping steering wheel with a differently layout in the center for the audio options. I guess they didn't want to make any improvements to how the rear seat lays when folded down, it still seats about 1 1/2 inches higher than the rear cargo compartment to bad they didn't use the same engineered seats that lay flat like they have in the Traverse .

It just seems that GM has re used a large part of the old Equinox in the re designing the newer up to date 2010 version. It does look good and i hope in a 2011 i might get one.