Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• 10lt210lt2 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 10 2LT 4 cyl with the leather and automatic climate control. I am told that if I remote start the vehicle on cold days, the climate control will kick on (heat if cold, and AC if warm) and the heated seats will kick on if the temperature is cold.

Does this work for anyone. It was 32 degrees last night and I remote started the car. When I got in the heated seat indicator lights were not on and the seat did not feel warm.

Does anyone know how this system (ie the automatic heated seats during remote starting) works? What temperature is needed? Are any other settings needed?

Thanks,
  • brueggiebrueggie Member Posts: 46
    I have had the same problem. I took mine in on Sat and there was some computer updates that they applied. The remote start now does turn on the heated seats but I believe it is on the lowest setting since they take a rather long time to heat up, not nearly as long as if they were on the hi setting. The lights will not come on when remote starting and the HVAC system needs to be on AUTO for the heat/AC to work. A bit annoying since I very seldom use the auto climate control. Take it in for service and request they update the computer.

We also had a problem with the memory seats not adjusting when using both key fobs, that issue was also fixed.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If you don't use the auto system won't it still turn on the heat but at what you left it at. On every G.M. with remote start I have seen that don't have auto control they say to put the heat where you want it and the fan on high to get the best out of it. Have you tried leaving heat on high and fan on high or better yet on defrost and high. On wifes STS it even turns on the rear defog plus if cold enough heated seats or if hot out cooled seats. Now on my HHR w/remote start it turns on heat whereever you left it, no rear defog nor heated seats at all.
  • fstumpfstump Member Posts: 10
    Greetings, has anyone found a source for front seat covers for the NOX? Everyplace that I have checked indicates there are none available for a vehicle that has air bags in the side of the front seats. I sure would like to find some that would not interfer with the airbags, Thanks
    I will have to look at this again. I had assumed since the heated seats light did not come on that the seats were not on. I only had it running for about 1 minute so if the seats were on the low setting, I would not have noticed.

Thanks for the reply. I will have to test this again. It would make more sense if they had the indicator light come on for the seat heating.
    You should be able to tell if the heated seats are on when you turn on the ign. the switch should light up if they were on.
  • brueggiebrueggie Member Posts: 46
    The seat lights will not turn on and when you turn the key after the remote start, to keep the heated seats on, you have to press the button as if you didn't remote start. Annoying again but that is the way it was designed. When we had the '07 Tahoe, the remote start turned on the heat/defrost plus the heated seats on high (only high/low) when cold and the AC if it were hot regardless if the last setting was on/auto or off. Really wish this was the way the Nox behaved. Will have to wait till the spring to see how the AC behaves.
    I don't know why G.M. gets something that works great and then don't use it on all their cars. I guess it is the part where people complain that their cars used to all look/work the same so they started doing things different between brands. What I hate is when you pull into a store and shut off the car and you get the 10 min delay so your radio and other electrics keep working and then wife gets out of passenger side and it shuts everything off. My old Caverlier and my current HHR stays on until ONLY the driver gets out, then all shuts off. What good is the delay if as soon as a passenger opens the door the power goes out.
  • snawdjjsnawdjj Member Posts: 6
    With my 2010 Nox, the accessory power stays on until the drivers door is opened. Front and rear passengers can exit and accessory power stays on.
  • wildemc18wildemc18 Member Posts: 3
    My accessories stay on as well until the driver door is open. You may want to check the configuration, I bet there is a simple fix to the issue that it is just on the wrong setting.
    Heated Seats on Remote start update.

I did a crazy thing and read my manual. The heated seats are supposed to come on high when you remote start and it is cold.

I also found out that I have to turn this option on in the car setup menu. It was off by default. I have since turned it on.

Last night it was in the 20s and the seats did heat up after a remote start. The heated seat lights do not come on, however, and I wish they did. I would like to get this signal. Also, I don't know how cold it must be for them to come on automatically like this.
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Debating the Nox vs CRV and Rav. Anyone with a 2010 Nox or Terrain have an opinion after last weekends snowstorm. How did the AWD do???
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    I haven't used it in snow yet (probably will this coming week as we're traveling north), but it should perform better than either of those other two because it has a wider wheel base and is heavier. Especially if you go AWD. I don't recall about the CRV, butt he tires that come standard on the RAV4 are horrible as well, while the ones on the 4 cyl Equinox are excellent. That makes a difference. In general we were not impressed by the Rav4 or CRV compared to the Nox. The Rogue was close, but has a huge blind spot and is a little too small inside. Nox also has the best MPG of all its competitors for now.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have been following this forum from the beginning. I currently have a '99 Lexus RX 300 which has terrible AWD. I am ready to get a new vehicle and am currently considering the 2010 NOX and the new Outback. I'd sure like to buy an American car but as you can see I keep my cars for a long time so want reliability. Any thoughts?
  • khh2khh2 Member Posts: 4
    We've had our 2010 LTZ 6 cylinder AWD since early Aug. and recently had our first winter driving. We got the Nox with a cash-for-lunkers trade in of a 95 Suburban. I wouldn't expect the Nox to perform like the 4wd of the suburban, but it isn't too bad. It doesn't have really quick accelleration, but its adequate, and the fuel economy is great, especially compared with the Suburban. Love all the standard accessories like the bluetooth, backup camera, remote start, the cpu for my ipod, and much more. Its very quiet and rides very smooth. It has taken a bit getting use to since all of our previous vehicles have been full sized pickups or SUV's. Now with the kids grown and gone, the Nox is just the right size for my wife and me. Plenty of cargo, and comfortably seats 4 big adults. Aesthetically very cool interior, especially the ambient lighting at night. Excellent sound system as well. So far, we're impressed.
    Glad you like it. I don't expect it to go like a big pickup/suburban 4x4 in the snow but when I drive my wifes STS x4 those 4 wheelers are really surprised when I either leave them behind or go side by side from a red light. Can't go cross country but hey, its a car.
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    I've used my 4cyl LT1 AWD through a number of different winter conditions including deep snow, hard packed snow, and icy conditions. The AWD works great - better than the Mitsubishi Endeavor and two Buick Rendezvous that were my last three cars. My other vehicles always had a bit of a lag and jerkiness to them, as the AWD system detected slip and transferred torque. The Equinox is much more seamless in that regard. If not for the flashing light on the dash, I'd never have known that the traction control & AWD systems had done their magic.

I do have some other issues with overall winter performance, but I'll address those in a separate post
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    Just wanted to post a few comments regarding the winter performance of my 4cyl LT1 AWD:

The good: The AWD and traction control systems work great, better than previous AWD vehicles I've owned.

The so-so: The ABS system doesn't seem to work that well in very slippery conditions. It does lots of shaking and rattling, but never seems to give the tires a chance to get a bite. But then, I've never really been a big fan of ABS in general. I prefer to have the braking under my control, rather than letting a computer override my inputs. Also, the transmission seems really stiff when its cold (and I'm only talking about 0 F - I haven't seen any sub-zero temps yet).

The not so good: The doors and windows seem to to be more prone to freezing shut than on other vehicles I've owned. Seems like those updated door seals that keep all the wind and road noise out, also provide a bigger surface for ice to stick to. After the last big storm, all the doors were frozen tight - I finally got one back door open, then was able to force the others open from inside. And the window seals have a depression along the glass that catches moisture which then freezes the windows shut. (Took a week before I could open the windows after that last storm.) Also, the bottom front corner of the doors collects slush, which then freezes and makes the front doors difficult to open. It hasn't been a major problem yet, but I'm afraid the bottom corner of the door could get bent if I force it open with ice built up behind it. I know that all vehicles have these types of issues, but the Equinox seems a bit more prone to it than usual.

All that being said, I'm still happy with my Equinox (with over 11,000 miles on it now). I just wanted to give others a heads up regarding both the good and the bad, as well as letting GM know about a few issues they might want to improve on for next year.
  • northerner19northerner19 Member Posts: 7
    ragtop262, how is your gas mileage in the winter? (City v.s highway)... are you achieving the MPG's as indicated? How many miles/km per tank are you actually obtaining (not estimated mpg)?

In winter, I know there are alot of factors to consider which will ultimately decrease your MPG, such as letting the vehicle warm up (5-10minutes at a time), denser/cooler air, softer tires (air pressure in the tires will drop a few PSI), etc...

Just wondering how the new equinox and the real MPG compares in the winter.

Thanks!
  • fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    I bought a 2010 nox 3mon ago, LS base model. The first 2000 miles are mostly local, my estimate is 75local+25highway. The computer reading is 24.5. The last two weeks I had a 4000mile trip, mostly highway. and my average is now at 27.

Observations:

1. Local with light foot, 23-24 is a realistic number.
    2. Highway, very depend on speed. I have very carefully tested the fuel economy on my 4000 mile trip.

a. on a very flat road, 55-65mph cruise can easily yield 32-35.
    b. 70-75mph yields 27-31.
    c. 75-80mph yields 23-27.
    d. 80-85mph 20-24.
    e. computer reading is pretty acturate as compare to my hand caculation.

Therefore, highway speed is the key for the fuel economy, and 22-32 chevy advertised # are realistic. The equinox is a very solid vehicle on both urburn and interstate roads. 0 problem to report so far.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I assume this is a 4 cylinder or is that implied by the LS base model?
    yes, it is a four cylinder.
  • reeboc1reeboc1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I been reading your posts since I ordered my Equinox on October 27. It should be here this week. I went to the dealer on Friday and looked at paperwork on my vehicle that had a VIN, a ship date of December 22 and expected arrival date of January 8. I'm so excited. Mocha Steel Metallic, 4cyl, AWD, black/brown leather seats, 2LT. I can't wait!
  • jls124jls124 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in need of a bigger vehicle (2 kids, both in carseats ages 5 & 2.5 and must stay in at least boosters until age 8 here) but have a long commute (100 miles round trip, 100% freeway unless weather-traffic slows). I've been driving a honda civic that gets ~ 35mpg. The reviews of the Nox MPG are what started me looking. And my husband drives the new Traverse and loves it.

Anyway, we currently have 2 kids - 1 in a carseat and 1 in a carseat turned booster. Considering adding to our family. Is this vehicle too tight for 3 carseats (or boosters combo)? Need some family feedback?
  • monkeysmummonkeysmum Member Posts: 2
    We just got our 2010 equinox a month ago and have a 4 year old and a one year old both in car seats. You could put three across - right now we have ours installed in the center and behind the driver so we have room for one extra (small) person. As usual it would depend on the seats and boosters you use and how well they "puzzle" together. If one was a Sunshine kids Radian (a very narrow low profile seat) and one was a booster, you probably would have no problems. Right now we have the Radian installed rear facing in the center and a Britax Frontier on the side. The Frontier is a huge seat and it fits although the Radian is pushed slightly off center.

One thing to note- because it surprised me - is that there are only 2 sets of lower LATCH. There are 3 upper tethers for car seats, but the center seat must be installed with a seat belt. It surprised me because our smaller car has three sets, but I think just the because of where the 60/40 split for the folddown seats are located they couldn't put the extra set. But, I would really like to know the reason. Maybe I could get around the measuring the width inside each to compare - I suppose it could be found online as well.

That said we love our new NOX, the backseat room is great, the versatility of the extra cargo room, the fuel efficiency and little extras like back-up camera and power liftgate were a big seller. We also opted for leather seating - the cloth did not look that kid friendly in my opinion (think crumb catcher) although it did look nice and sporty.

Hope this helps.
  • oceana143oceana143 Member Posts: 38
    Is the 2010 Equinox just like the old one where the engine was made in China and the transmission was made in Japan? I would like to buy American but if this is true, it would be a real stretch for me.
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    The engine is made in the USA I believe. The tranny is made in S. Korea, with plans to eventually make them in north America (not sure if US or Canada) in the not too distant future.
  • saxkwatchsaxkwatch Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a 2010 Equinox LS a few weeks ago and just noticed that the turn signals and hazard lights produce no audible click when the radio is off. Is this normal?
    Its possible as I have had G.M. products in the past that you pushed a couple of buttons or even included in the menu for making the signal louder or softer but I can't ever remember the last time my radio was off.
  • jimn12jimn12 Member Posts: 3
    GM has a recall out for the climate control systems on the Equinox and Terrain.

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/equinox/2010/2010-gmc-terrain-chevrolet-equi- nox-recalled-for-climate-control-problem.html

Apparently a software problem. My LT1 equinox is scheduled to arrive in Feb. I'm not sure if this problem affects the models without the advancd climate control.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure there are no settings for turn signal volume.
    Another thought. Don't they also have some kind of noise canceling system running through the speakers to block out unwanted noises? Maybe this has something to do with it too. Just grabbing at straws. I'm guessing as a last resort if you really miss the noise couldn't you just replace the turn signal blinker with one that makes noise. This is the way they used to be as I'm kind of hard of hearing and way back when I bought a extra loud one from a auto supply place. Just 3 prongs as I remember, you unplugged one and plugged the new one in. They do this sometimes on vehicles that pull trailers by going to a heavy duty one that blinks at the right speed when a trailer is hooked up.
    I just want to know if it's supposed to be that way. Do you have a 2010 Equinox? Are your blinkers silent when the radio is off? Can any 2010 Equinox owners check on this?

Thanks!
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    Can you download ring tones for your signals?
    j/k
    No, the blinkers are not slient no matter the radio is on or not. 2010 nox LS.
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll get it checked out when I go for routine service. Anyone else have the same issue?
  • jbogardjbogard Member Posts: 3
    I'm wondering which year Equinox the Climate Control recall is on. The heading on the website you referenced reads "2010" but the caption states "2009". Aren't they completely different vehicles?
  • obnoxishobnoxish Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up my 2010 LTZ AWD. Have the standard infotainment setup. On the right side of the DIC screen are numbers (1-9??) that run vertically. Only one number displays at a time. So far, I have seen #4 and #5 while driving. I saw a #9 in a picture on an EBay listing yesterday. Owners manuual did not explain. Anyone know what this is?
    Could it be 2010 cars built in 2009? I think that is what is met.
  • chester69chester69 Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone tell me where the various engines offered on the Equinox are made? We have narrowed our next vehicle down to the Ford Fusion AWD, a Subaru or the Equinox AWD. Going to be a tough decision.

Thanks,
    John
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    The 2.4L comes from Tonawanda NY and the 3.0L is made in Michigan I think.
  • terexterex Member Posts: 26
    4-cylinder is produced in Spring Hill, TN and the V6 in St. Catherines, Ontario Canada.
  • march252006march252006 Member Posts: 5
    As anyone ordered a equinox lately, and know's the built time currently? I ordered one 12-26 but I don't know know how long the build time is taking? Anyone have an idea, 6-8 wks, 10-12wks? How long did it take to get yours after you put in a build?

Thanks,
    rebates all gone, and according to lutz, equinox has a very tight supply of 13 days inventory, and Terrain has 18 days. and invoice of equinox just went up $200.
  • obnoxishobnoxish Member Posts: 4
    my awd ltz took 14 weeks. One extra stuck on a rail car in a blizzard in Buffalo, NY area. :mad:
  • whoaboywhoaboy Member Posts: 1
    I made a hasty buying decision in late December and purchased base 1LT trim model. During test drive, didn't notice any lower back pain, but am having problems now - I believe due to the sharp angle of the bucket seat. Is it possible to either add 8-way power seat option to this one, or possibly buy a new seat from Chevy with full power. Am going to try a Tush-Cush in the meantime.
  • jbogardjbogard Member Posts: 3
    I ordered a 2010 Equinox LTZ on October 14th and they unloaded it from the transport today, January 12, 2010. It's quite a long wait and I understand they are working multiple shifts and even overtime to try and get them out quicker. Hope you get yours quicker than I did.
  • carguy05carguy05 Member Posts: 30
    Ordered my 2010 Nox AWD Mocha steel 4 cy and it was delivered in exactly 7 weeks. Worth waiting for. Good Luck.
  • reeboc1reeboc1 Member Posts: 5
    Ordered 2LT Mocha Steel Metallic AWD on 10/27/09 received it today 1/13/10.
  • firefly8firefly8 Member Posts: 9
    Ordered my 2010 Nox 10-22-09. Metallic mocha FWD and it still has not arrived.