Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The price you have isn't too bad if you are taking the 4.9% APR. Invoice varies a bit by region due to TDA fees, but that sounds decent. In VA, invoice with SP, SR, RH, C7, R1 and WL is $29885 with an MSRP of $33551. If your deal is in the Central Atlantic Region, you are paying just over $700 over the invoice, which isn't hateful.
  • harry0harry0 Member Posts: 42
    I found this link over at the Sequoia discussion board.

http://www.jimbarkleytoyota.com/pricing/new_cars/index.asp

Interesting web site.

This is the current deals on 4 Runners in my area (cape cod).

750.00 factory cash back.

2.9% for 36 mo.

3.9% for 48 mo.

4.9% for 60 mo.

or

389.95 mo. for 39 mo.

12,000 miles year

2001.00 down or trade

plus tax, security, acq, reg, and doc fee

or

SR5 w/ sunroof, alloy wheels, sport interior, running boards,tow package.

750. factory cash

3340. dealer discount

4090. total discount

29,495. Sale Price.

Good Luck in your search
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The Alpine speakers are quite nice. Some of the Blaupunkts are good too.

-hope this helps
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    The last SUV left in Toyotas line up to be redesigned. Anyone seen any pics yet? Will it be the same size?
    This car could be a good choice..It looks like it might not have as much room as a 4 Runner though.

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/00HGC534600390.html
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I was in Costa Rica last week and saw an Toyota SUV body style I'd never seen in my life. It definitely wasn't based on the LandCruiser or Sequioa or Highlander. I'm hoping it's part of the 2002 4Runner redesign. The thing was stunning.

I only saw it at a distance in passing, but appeared a shade larger than the current 4Runner, with higher windows and roof line and like it might possibly have room for third row seating, but built for what it was intended; ie, capable off-roader.

The vehicle looked brand spanking new. I was near the Toyota dealer in San Jose, so maybe it
    was. Any clues?
  • mbm135mbm135 Member Posts: 2
    OK, I'm now a member of the club! I did it! Proud owner of a Black (favorite color) 4X4 SR5 with color Running Boards, Conv Pkg, SR5 Upgrade #2, Sunroof, Wheel Locks, Gold Pkg, Rear Heat. MSRP was $33,590. I was out the door at just over $29,800. Put Several thou down and went with the 4.9% financing.

Very happy with the deal I got from Old Mill Toyota here in Omaha. Great folks to deal with and their bottom line price was up-front to eliminate any haggling etc. A far cry from their cross-town rival who were $800 more ($1000 more if you include the Gold Pkg) and wanted an extra $189 to process the paperwork and never offered to show me their invoice price etc. Lesson? Shop around.

I never thought I would own anything this nice...wow! I just go sit and stare at it. And I was going to lease another Ford? Thank goodness the Ford guys wouldn't deal. The 4Runner was less money!!

Thanks for all the info on the board!

mbm135 (Mike)
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Good Deal, it is always nice to spend less for more. To my eye you got right around invoice price. I do feel it is a good time to buy a 4Runner. Toyota dealers just don't deal on cars, but now 4Runners are, well, almost reasonable. Almost...
  • hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    Wait 'till you find out what the VSC and the Active Trac does.. You'll be prouder that it's the only SUV in it's class which offer those features. (I think they were adapted from the Land Cruiser).
  • stankiusstankius Member Posts: 17
    Mike,

My best offer so far is $28,500 at 7.8% for 48 months form carsdirect. Does your out the door price of $29,800 include tax, title, and minus the 1000$ rebate? Thanks,

Regards,

Joe
  • loma1loma1 Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone taken their TRAC equipped runner off road? I hear some mixed reviews about the effectiveness of traction control off-road. Some say it will bog you down and some say it will launch you in low when you don't want it to.
  • chiros1chiros1 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone. i've been on the net inquiring about new and used 4runners when i came across this group...it's great! now that we have added a dog to our home, i regret ever selling my '95 runner. any suggestions on how i can seek out an immaculate '95 limited 4x4 manual. thanks...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds Used PowerShopper

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• kennywaynekennywayne Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if the 5 Speed manual would be brought back for 2002 model year. I know that it was discontinued because of the advent of the the VSC and TRAC being introduced in 2001. However, I was wondering if Toyota has figured out a way for all three systems to coexist or is it simply not cost effective since the demand for manual transmissions had diminished to the point that it is not worth it. I appreciate any input.
  • ted_richardsonted_richardson Member Posts: 1
    I have an intermittent starting problem. I turn the ignition on and all the correct dash lights come on. When I try to start the engine and I hear a single click and nothing more. The click sounds like a relay. Then I turn the ignition off and try to start the engine again and it usually starts, sometimes I have to try several times. Once, it took several tries to get it started and on a couple of the tries, the engine started to turn over but stopped, like the power to the starter was cut off. I have a 1991 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.0L V6. I have cleaned the battery terminals. Is it possible that I have a bad battery, starter, neutral safety switch, or ignition switch?
  • 2004runner2004runner Member Posts: 12
    My 2000 4Runner Limited (which I bought new a year ago), has a smelly a/c problem. It smells mildewy. I had this problem since I bought the car and really notice it when the weather gets warm. The dealer says they fixed it (twice it's been in), but I still have the same problem. My research tells me that it's a problem with the condensation not draining properly - which I've told the dealer and they say the line is fine. Anyone else had or have this problem? I'd appreciate some advice.
  • whatsthatsmellwhatsthatsmell Member Posts: 1
    At least I think that's the familiar smell I recognize from my wife's 1994 Toyota Celica A/C. Wow! Toyota still wasn't fixed that problem? If your dealer says everything is fine that's because he knows he can't fix it, I bet. That problem has been around a long time, and you can bet your dealer has tap danced around it several thousand times. I just look at the bright side, and imagine a fine Cuban.....
    There is a TH member in the Sequoia topic who has used his vehicle off road pretty extensively. About a month ago, he posted an excellent review. His name is slickrock and he found that it worked extremely well. He tried it in a number of situations and it always preformed as expected.
  • courtneymartincourtneymartin Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase or lease a 2001 SR5. The vehicle must have running boards, a sunroof, cd player, and fender flares, however. What is the lowest price I can expect?
  • mstoermstoer Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 4Runner and am experiencing problems with ABS. It comes on spuratically, usually on dry pavement, even when braking gently. In one case I've even had an accident. Toyota Canada denies there is a problem. If you want to know more (it's a long story), I created a web page with almsot all the info. Here's the link :

http://www.geocities.com/mstoer2001/index.html

Marcell

• jnewfjnewf Member Posts: 1
    I went to your site; its hard to tell from your description what, if anything, is wrong.
    Your description of what happened to you on the gravel driveway sounds normal. ABS was never intended to reduce your stopping distance -- after all, its pulsing the brakes -- but is supposed to give you more control in the event of a loss in traction. In fact, ABS often increases braking distances, as anyone who has driven ABS equipped cars in snow or gravel can attest to (as I often do in Vermont and which I'm sure you do in Canada). The brake pedal is supposed to go hard and kick back; what you need to do is simply mash on the brakes when that happens, and resist the typical reaction of many people who are not accustomed to ABS pulsing which is to lift off of the brakes.

However, I don't mean to insult your intelligence; having driven in Canada, I'm sure you know this already. The other things you describe, the klanging noise, the ABS not working in the rain but activating on dry pavement, obviously are not "normal operation." Toyota obviously should step up to the plate and fix it. Perhaps there's a faulty ABS sensor? Sorry I could't be more help ...

By the way, to kjack100; the Costa Rica toyota you saw probably was a Toyota Prado. They're sold outside the U.S. in a lot of countries; they are similar in size to 4runners, but with more upright styling, and in some cases share the 3.4 engine and IFS platform of the 4runner ...
    I just got this digital camera and I took some pictures of my car.I downloaded them into a place called Webshots.They are mostly pictures of my MGB. Here is the link if you would like to take a peek.

http://community.webshots.com/album/14869927clHFPWbynX
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Sweet looking MG you got there.
  • j__smithj__smith Member Posts: 1
    I think you misplace your posting about your MG. We are in TOYOTA 4RUNNER DISCUSSION.

:)
  • kuichopkuichop Member Posts: 1
    I JUST PURCHASED A 2001 4RUNNER SR5 TWO MONTHS AGO AND IS THE BEST CAR I EVER HAD. THE OPTIONS INCLUDE SPORTS PACKAGE AND C7 CONVENIENCE PACKAGE. STICKER WAS 32,500 AND WAS ABLE TO GET IT FOR 26,750. IF LOOKING FOR A NEW TOYOTA GO TO THE TOYOTA WEB SITE AND CONFIGURE THE VEHICLE WITH THE DESIRED OPTIONS AND EMAIL THEM TO YOUR LOCAL DEALERS AND BE PREPARED TO NEGOTIATE. I GUARANTEE NONE OF THEM WANT TO BE UNDERSOLD.
    I was stationed in Japan for 6 years. If you want to see some seriously modified 4Runners click on their Hilux Surf Club website below. Lot's of GREAT PHOTOS (You might need a Japanese language translator program if you wanna read the text but the pictures alone are awsome)(Scroll down the site to see the pix):

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity-Pit/3985/surf.html

Here's 2 more sites of Japanese Hilux Surf / 4Runner clubs. Check out the neat mods. Make sure you CLICK ON THE SUB-LINKS that they have in these websites, even if you don't understand the writings, you'll find lot's of GREAT GREAT PHOTOS:

http://hsoc.room.ne.jp/~hsoc/member/membars.htm

http://hsoc.room.ne.jp/~hsoc/

Is that a mirror above the headlight on the 4 Runners? Why do they all have them?
    Yes, that is a small side mirror you see above the top left headlight(Remember these are right hand-drive vehicles). They are a standard mirrors on almost all SUVs in Japan. They come very handy when you're backing up in very tight situations. All of them also comes standard with pitch, roll and altimeter gauges mounted on top of their dash boards. If you NOTICED too, on their spoilers, left of the high position stop light, there is a BACK UP MIRROR FLUSHED in it, which comes out when you put your shifter in reverse(this is an option to them).

Cliffy, click this link http://hsoc.room.ne.jp/~hsoc/member/Hsoc003.Html

This is the color that I really like. I think they had this on 2000 models for U.S. models. I was hoping that its the same as the "Glacier" color that they have this year.

Mike

Thanks for the info hiluxsurf. Very interesting stuff.
    I was surfing around looking for 2002 4runner info..I didn't find much,but I did find this. I think your going to like this.
    http://www.geocities.com/Baja/4300/albummain.html
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    Does anyone predict that the new Highlander will replace the 4-Runner? I heard that the Sequoia is going to replace the Land Cruiser.
    My 2 cents: I don't think Highlander and Sequioa will replace the 4Runner and Land Cruiser respectively. Those are entirely different animals. Highlander and the Sequioa are made for more on-road driving while the 4Runner and SPECIALLY the Land Cruiser are designed to take you where other vehicles can't.
    Does any one know if the Climate Control is available on the SR5 package, or is it only the Limited?
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    Any opinions out there on the usefulness of the wind deflectors? Are new holes drilled or existing ones used for mounting them? Also, do the running boards stick out enough to prevent door dings from shorter vehicles? Do the color keyed bumpers and fender flares scratch easily?

I would verify myself, but I'm overseas.

Thanks...
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    I had posted this question a few days ago, but I guess i didn't send it correctly. Anyway, my question is what is a good price on a '96 4-Runner 2.7L 4-cyl.? I'm not looking for speed here but longevity of the motor and vehicle. I would want an automatic and only 2-wheel drive. Anyone out there know. Thanks in advance!!
    Ford,

The deflector directs air down on the rear window for cleaning off dust if your were offroad. You do have to drill holes for it. You can also buy after market, I think EGR has something that goes on w/o drilling. As far as sratching is concerned, the boards, bumpers and flair are all plastic on mine Sport. I am most concerned about teh front bumper which will take alot of dings on the hig way, maybe I'll get a front bra. But the flare and mudd guard probably do help to deflect rocks, especially after offroad.

Joe
    I just picked up a 2001 4Runner sport. I took it for some decent offroading on some muddy uphill and downhill, about 25-35% grade over slippery roots, rocks and mud. I locked up the center differential, put it in 4L and 1st gear on the transmission. It went up and down with no problem. The VCS is turned off when the center diff lock is engaged. The only way to get this thing stuck is it was to get hung up, otherwise, with 4-wheels spinning, it's unstoppable.

My only complaint with the truck is that the VSC cannot be turned off when your in normal 2wd mode. The only way to do so is in 4wd with the center diff engaged, and that's a bad way to drive around. The VSC is great in stopping the wheel slip, but I'd like to be able to turn it off.

Joe
  • loma1loma1 Member Posts: 32
    Hey joe, did you try anything with the center diff unlocked with the traction control?

Gary
  • tbird45tbird45 Member Posts: 5
    All of the off roading I have done so far in my 2001 has been with the TRACS on. When climbing steep hills with a loose surface, it shifts back and forth between the wheels that have traction and those that are slipping. It works very well and keeps you moving. In my Jeep GC, I always had trouble on one steep rutted section because the right front and left rear would get air at the same time and would stop forward progress. With the TRACS on, it climbed it without any problem. The only time I have used the center diff lock is when in mud or deep snow. When none of the wheels have traction, the TRACS system keeps looking for a wheel with traction and you just sit there. With the diff lock on, you can keep the wheels spinning and try to dig for some traction by turning the steering wheel back and forth or rocking with the transmission.
    Tbird45, Ioma,

I engaged the center diff when I approached the uphill, I didn't want to chance it with a 1 day old truck. My impression is that when the center diff is locked all 4 wheels spin at the same speed and power, so if two wheel are hung up or in the air the other two are getting equal power. The only reason I can see that you would have a hard time in that situation is by having a lack of power to the two free wheels. In the same scenario with TRACS on the power would be shifted to the wheels with traction but it may not be as responsive, like you said. Putting the transfer case in 4L and the transmission in 1st gear should solve the torque and upshifting problem though. I'll have to give that off-road section a try with the TRACS on and see how it goes.

I almost had an accident because of the TRACS kicking when I pulling out into a traffic making a left. I gave a good amount of gas, and it wasn't really even close to spinning out, but the VSC kicked in, reduced the power, and it was almost as though it stalled in the road for a second, as the oncoming car almost t-boned me. I really wish I could turn it off and not have to deal with a feature put in place for soccer moms.

My two cents,

Joe
    Rat [non-permissible content removed],

The alarm was a major sticking point for me. The truck they had on the lot lacked one and they wanted to install an after market one for 800$. So after I was about to walk they found one right off the boat in Baltimore and charged me 150$ for the invoice price of the alarm, which doesn't have the motion sensor of the one your describing, but does the job.

Joe
    I heard horror stories about aftermarket alarms setting the "engine check light" off. Sorry to say this but you I would have gotten the alarm with the deal for a lesser amount. My recommendation is shop with other Toyota parts/service stations for a lesser price. V5 inv 155.00 Retail 249.00 // V3 Inv 275.00 Retail 439.00 Also, check if you really need the "deluxe"(V3), I think the reason why it's more expensive is it's for vehicles without factory security or remote keyless entry. If your Runner already has the remote keyless entry feature, you don't need the deluxe. The regular RS3200(V5) is exactly the same as the deluxe in features. I have the the V5 (RS3200)option with my 2001 4Runner. Works great.
    You are mixing the terms "VSC" and "traction control" when describing the situation of pulling into traffic. I wrote a detailed description of the Active Trac system and posted it here at Edmunds. The topic name is "How Toyota 4WD systems work."

Good review by the way on the off road use of the Runner. Next time, try it without locking the center differential. I'll bet it does better than you are guessing at keeping power where it is needed.
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    Just checking in to see if there was an update on the 2002 restyle. Any pictures yet? Any info on what it will be? When, where, etc.....Curious curls want to know!
  • tbird45tbird45 Member Posts: 5
    Joe, Try it with the TRACS on, I think you will be impressed. When you lock the center diff. it sends equal power to the front and rear diffs. They are still "open" diffs though and if one wheel looses traction, all the power goes to that wheel. So if you get opposite front and rear wheels loosing traction, you wont move. The TRACS works like a good limited slip and will keep you moving by sending power to the wheel that has traction. I also kept it in low range and 1st gear going down hill, but when climbing left it in 2nd or 3rd so it would start in first but up shift as my speed increased. The time I locked the center diff, I was in deep mud and trying to start from a dead stop the TRACS couldn't find any wheel with traction, so just sat there.

I also have had experience with the VSC (Vehicle Skid Control). We had a late spring blizzard here and when driving in deep snow (12 to 14 inches) and no visibility, I had my hand out of the window trying to knock the ice off of the wind shield wipers and started drifting off the road. The VSC detected the skid before I did and started chirping and blinking and I'm not sure which wheel it braked or which one it applied power to, but it corrected it. It did this 3 more time before I got to work and always corrected the skid and got me straightened out.
    I agree that I wish there was a way to turn off the TRACS when in 2 wheel drive. I think you can in the Sequoia. I have also started out on some gravel to get onto a major road and if you start spinning the tires, it kicks in and breaks the spinning wheels and slows you down.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Why not just leave the system in 4WD mode all of the time then? You paid for the full-time system, might as well make use of it at all times (it's safer too!). Have a look at this:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/tractionturn2.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    My wife and I currently own a '97 4-Runner SR-5. We like the "Runner" but, we both despise the ride. It transmits EVERY rode imperfection into the cabin, the ride is waaay too harsh. So we have begun to contemplate buying another SUV, but we really want to stay with Toyota and my wife doesn't like the Highlander and the Sequoia is too big. So we're trying to hold out for the new 4-Runner, but Toyota is keeping the 2002's under tight seal and we both are getting anxious. We have been considering a '98 Land Cruiser, but my wife is kind of hesitant because of its size. She works downtown and would have to parallel park on a daily basis.

Personally, I say go for the '98 Land Cruiser over the '02 4-Runner...what do you all think????
  • tclubtclub Member Posts: 22
    Mark, I'd hold out. The LC downtown is a lot of vehicle. I think Toyota's trying to push all those 2001 off the lots. The new Runner has got to come in with over 210 hp and it'll have a much better ride I'd bet. I'm waitin Toyota out myself (smile). I hope soon.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    any opinions/avice, positive or negative comments on this particular model?

Leo