Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Traverse

13»

Comments

• ohnogmohnogm Member Posts: 2
    My 2010 Traverse is one year old this month. The check engine light came on this weekend and I took the Traverse into the dealership on Monday a.m. I phoned to see what the issue was and was told that it was the TIMING CHAINS and it meant pulling the engine and they would have it for the remainder of the week. Has anyone else had this issue? I just now have 13,000 miles on my car and am sick at learning this news. The Traverse still looks as if it rolled off the dealership showroom. Also the steering wheel is making a whinny noise but not like power steering issue. Appreciate the help and answers.
  • maxxmdmaxxmd Member Posts: 18
    I dont know anything about the timing chains and a check engine light but I know there is a service bulletin on the timing chains. I had mine replaced if you read back through my posts.
    I've also had the steering wheel noise issue. According to my service tickets, I have had the steering wheel replaced in April 2009. I had the "steering rack" replaced in Nov. 2009 after the noise came back. I had the "steering gear" replaced in Aug. 2010. The noise returned on Nov 18th and I will take it in again this week.

Good luck.
  • ohnogmohnogm Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply. How do I find the "service bulletins" that have been issued regarding the timing chains? What is you final outcome on your Traverse. I was sick after reading your threads regarding your Traverse and hope you get results from GM if not the dealer. It is totally beyond ridiculous! Thanks again.
  • tomme12tomme12 Member Posts: 11
    I have a noise in my steer column it sounds like. When you turn back and forth (with the radio off) you can hear it whining or something. is that what yours was doing as well? Mine is a 2010 LTZ
    That is the same noise. The dealer described it once as corduroy pants rubbing together.

Not sure where to find the service bulletins on timing chains. I would Google it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide has TSB info, but you'll have to get full text from the dealer unless someone has posted them online somewhere.
  • nekwebnekweb Member Posts: 1
    Today will mark the 3rd time since Sept. 24. my traverse has been inoperable. The first two times it was the timing chains and this time seems like the same. My wife, myself and 4 children were traveling about 75mph when without warning the engine shutdown and check engine light popped. The last 2 X'S it has run but stumbling and sputtering. This time dead nuts, it didn't re-fire untill about 1/2 hour later, but my attempts to blow up the motor failed after it stalled 10 seconds later. Same issue as before except stranded this time. It sucks that three timing chains have already streatched on me two other times and now i get that damn silverado loaner that barely fits us for a third week. A new engine is in our future, either from Chevy or someone else....
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Sounds like something is causing this problem and the dealer needs to investigate, replace whatever comes in contact with the chains. Sounds like all they did was throw on a new chain. I'd also call corp. and get them involved and I would want to know just what their plans are BEFORE they do any work as if they say all they are replacing is the chain then this just doesn't get it. If they insist on just the chain tell them you will put signs in all the windows of the Traverse telling everyone who can read what a shoddy dealer they are. One time a Chevy dealer screwed up my radio(aftermarket, shorted it out) and they wanted to send it in to be fixed. I said no as this could take a month on a brand new truck a week old. They refused to replace with new one so I went home and made a picket sign and it didn't take me 10 min. of walking in front of the dealer before the sales manager was out there with a check. :shades:
  • sailor23sailor23 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    My 2011 Traverse only a few months old began to have a Steering Wheel Whine, not Squeek... but Whine. Local Tech fixed it. Said they often come with insufficient fluid, which can cause an air pocket. He power vacuumed the air pocket out, and voila! No more whine.
  • sailor23sailor23 Member Posts: 2
    My 2011 Traverse has frequent Rotten Egg smell when the AC Fresh Air vent is open and coming to a stop. Shops keep telling me they don't have any Tech Bulletins on this... But some independent research tells me its probably a bad Catalytic Converter... But to get a shop to fix it is another thing... I sure don't want to spend $1,000 plus replacing the Muffler/Catalytic converter. I'm also surprised the Sensor isn't alerting... unless that is broken too. Anyone have thoughts or proof of a TB by Chevy? I"m still covered by Warrantee.
  • gattigirl620gattigirl620 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All!

I have a 2011 Traverse, which I have had for almost a year (to the day). I have only driven Honda's in the past (5 to be exact) and this is my first Chevy. I love my vehicle very much, but recently I have been having a few minor issues...

First, back in June of this year, I was driving home from work and the car just stopped, right as I was about to make a turn. The engine was still running but nothing else would respond - not even the brakes! Turns out it was the CV axel and CV boot that needed to be replaced. The car was 8 months old and had less than 8k miles on it.

Once that was fixed, life was good. But recently I have noticed a few things...

First, my steering wheel is now making a whining noise when I turn the wheel sharply. I have no idea what is making this noise but it is driving me crazy!!

Second, when I turn my heat on there is this rattling noise that can be heard when the vehicle isn't moving. Most times it can be head over the radio and again...its VERY annoying!

Last, but certainly not least, my passenger's side seat (front) doesn't seem to be screwed in tight... or something. When the car starts off the seat seems to move backward just a little and then moves forward when the car stops. I'm clueless. And like the other two, are driving me nuts!!

I love my car and often brag about it to my friends and family... but it seems to be the little thing that are getting to me. Has anyone else had these issues with their Traverse?? If so, were you able to get them resolved?? Please give me some hope. The dealership where I purchased the car is incredible, but unfortunately, I have moved to another state and can't take it there. I'm hoping that my local dealership can fix these things... and soon.

I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone that is looking for a crossover-type vehicle. I'm sure every car has its issues... I know my Honda's all had one thing or another.

Thank you for your input!!!
  • jackstarjackstar Member Posts: 3
    Ok, I would like some help on this one. I own a 2009 Traverse with 63k overwhelmingly highway miles. Been great so far.

Went to replace all four tires and got a great deal but the place did not do alignments but recommended someone. Took it today and the place told me the bushings on BOTH rear control arms were shot and they couldn't do the 4 wheel alignment until they were replaced. He called the dealer and you can't just replace the bushings--the whole control arm has to be replaced. For both the cost is roughly $750!!

Has anyone else had this experience?! I have taken excellent care of this vehicle and it's barely two years old. I could not find any recalls related to this issue on the internet and of course I'm way over the mileage limit for the standard warranty. I'm sure that this won't be covered under powertrain warranty either.

I could really use some insight on this. I have been a proud GM supporter, but if this is the case after two years it really gives me pause.

Thanks in advance for your help,

JS
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'd get a second opinion but keep in mind that bushings are a wear part and you do have quite a few miles on the car.
  • jorge1963jorge1963 Member Posts: 1
    Hello my name is A.Jorge,
    I desperate looking to get certification CO2 Emissions for a 2009 Chevrolet Travers LT,

I had find same information chart but it is not possibly to use tat tip of information,
    I just export my 2009 Traverse to a European Country and now they ask me a certification from the factory or associated auto dealer in order to register the car plates . After a had contact a few representatives ,
    I did't sussed .Please if any one out there can help me with this issue ,">link titleI will be appreciated. I can be contacted By : albertinojorge@hotmail.com
    regards A. Jorge

Categories
  • khos13khos13 Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody seen a problem with Chevy Traverse 2011 dying while driving. Mine has only 5000 miles when turned off while driving. I could not start it anymore. Onstar could not diagnose anything. Had to tow it to local Chevy dealer. It has been there for four days. Still does not start. Very frustrating...
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Look at it from the bright side. At least it still doesn't start. Lots of people with different vehicles have the same problem but they usually restart after sitting a couple minutes and the dealer can never find anything wrong.
  • carl_ndeltacarl_ndelta Member Posts: 4
    First things I'd look at is the connection where the battery cable meets the battery under/behind the front passenger seat and where the data cable interfaces with the main system computer.

In reading a number of incidents in this forum, the GMC Acadia forum, and a couple of Traverse dedicated forums, with vehicles shutting down at highway speeds and/or failing to start and/or losing battery charge it has always come to these points of failure.

My first look would be to see if there is either a loose or incompletely inserted plug in the socket of the data cable.
  • 2011equinox2011equinox Member Posts: 3
    While I understand there is a break-in period for new engines...I do believe I've got something going on that is out of the ordinary. We bought our 2011 Traverse AWD LTZ in late November 2011 and have almost 1,800 miles on it now. We have not gotten better than 15 miles per gallon. Most of the driving has been around town...probably 75% town and 25% highway so far. I know that the EPA estimates for fuel mileage are always skewed high because of they are calculated with 100% gasoline (not the 90/10 mixture of gasoline/ethanol that we are forced to purchase at the pumps); however, I do think that the mileage we are getting is a bit pathetic. My wife and I do not hammer on the gas pedal and are conscious of how we accelerate. Has anyone else out there had poor fuel mileage like we are? Any other stories of fuel economy like this and then it bumping up to what it should be would make me feel a bit more at ease.

Look forward to hearing what others have to say on this topic. Thanks!
  • tomme12tomme12 Member Posts: 11
    Its normal. It might go up a little bit, but not much. The car really likes the hwy. I can get close 24mpg on my 2010 ltz on the hwy steady at 70mph. But as soon as I go to driving around tow, it kills it down to what you see. There is not much you can do to change it. I put a k and n filter in and helped a tiny bit, but not much. Its a heavy car and the start and stops kill the MPG. If you were buy a big suv for mileage, its not this one, but a great overall car. I have 25k so far and its nice, hauls our boat, kids, stuff, ski trips, etc. You can check out the traverseforums.com as well for more info
    I have 87,000K on my 2009 AWD Traverse and 15 mpg in mostly city driving sounds about right. I might get 22-23 on perfect hwy driving but that doesn't happen too often.
  • tom359tom359 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue. Just took my 09' Traverse with 56k miles for tires and alignment, and inspection afterwards. Also ended up replacing front brakes and routers, normal. Never got the alignment or inspection and I am out $1200 already. The mechanic said that the rear control bushings were worn out and needed replaced for it to pass inspection and be able to be aligned. So I call my dealer, they said that they have to replace the whole control arm assembly, with labor is going to cost me just over $600. Also had them check the engine light that has been on. They said it could be a major problem with a slipped ring on the end of the cam shaft or a simple fix, an actuator problem with the valving. If it's the slipped ring, they have to drop the transmission and pull the motor, major work. They are getting a technician to determine if it's the major or minor of the two. Only good thing is that work is covered under warranty. In the end I will be out just shy of $2k and weeks without the Traverse while it is getting worked on. I can't believe the costs of maintenance of a 2 yr. old car with only just over 50k miles on it. Chevy Traverse, junk in my mind, my next car will definetly be a Ford, they never nickeled and dimed me to death...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2012
  • ChrismaxChrismax Member Posts: 87
    Have a 2011 LTZ FWD with 30K miles and around town mileage has averaged 15.3. This has been the only blemish other than a key fob whose battery keeps dying every 2 weeks as of late. Anyone else have this issue?
  • headgame01headgame01 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2012 LTZ AWD and do mainly highway driving. I average about 16mpg. I do not use the computer as it is way off. I fill the Traverse up reset the milage counter. At he end of the tank if fill up and take the amount of gallons and divide it into the miles driven. I have noticed as much as 2-4 miles difference between the computer and doing it the way I do it. So long story short. This vehicle does not get anywhere close to what they claim in there ads or stick. I hind that an overwhelmingly high amount of people have the same experience as me. Very low milage. I have even heard of some thinking about a class action suit over this. I would join it if I find it. I bought the vehicle based souly off the milage claims. My tahoe I trade in with a bigger engine got better gas milage than the Traverse LTZ AWD. SAID.
  • dompdomp Member Posts: 24
    2007 outlook AWD averaging about 15.4 mostly city/suburb driving. Has much changed with the engine from 2007 to 2011? Doesn't seem like it based on mileage reports.
  • nelknelk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Traverse and already starting to fall apart. On it's second birthday the driver side window went bad had to replace the motor. Couple months ago overheating. Now overheating again b/c the water pump went bad. I think I should have a least 5 years before having to change these parts on a vehicle. For a 3 year old vehicle, that's just ridiculous by the time it's 5 years old it will be like it's already ten years.
    I do love the vehicle but now it's all about beauty and no reliability anymore.
    What a shame!!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    nelk,

I can understand why you are not fully satisfied with your Traverse right now given the concerns you've been encountering. Has everything been repaired at this point, or do you still have ongoing issues?

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • hamfisthamfist Member Posts: 1
    Traded in my beloved and venerable Trailblazer on a used 2009 Chevy Traverse w. 24,000 miles.

And so far, I am very happy.

This vehicle drives very well ... just very transparent. It is a larger vehicle, but it handles more like a station wagon which, when you think about it, is what it is. I have historically been a station wagon guy before they became hard to find. The vehicle I got has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with, but I am getting used to them, including the power lift gate. The kids love the rear seat entertainment package and their own exclusive sunroof. All I really wanted to get for sure in terms of options was leather, a sunroof and heated seats (didn't want to lose those from my TB) for the Wisconsin winter. I wound up with that and more just because that was the vehicle that seemed like the best deal at the time.

We opted for this vehicle over the Equinox due to the tow rating of 5,000 pounds and some change. And we do have the towing package!

The vehicle tows our Coleman Fairview pop up camper without feeling it. The overall capacity and the trailer switch, which changes the shift points to allow for more low end torque for towing, could make this the go-to vehicle for folks who need more than 3,500 pounds of towing capacity but don't need the grunt of a pickup. This tow rating gives us a comfortable degree of headroom to tow a camper with a 2,000 pound dry weight, plus its contents and the family. Many of you who tow may not want to pull anything close to the rated limit. And if you have a boat, a pop up camper or other midsized load, the Traverse could be a great option.

We also considered the Honda Ridgeline and various crew cab pickups, but since we do have a dog, a vehicle that would not have a designated safe riding area for the labradoodle didn't seem like a good idea.

I am finding that by using the fuel effiency monitor, I am changing my driving habits and riding the gas less to get better mpg. I am getting 20mpg plus on the highway, and look forward to better mileage overall than my Trailblazer.image
  • dlaubedlaube Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Traverse Lt. Bought new sept 09. I was also disapointed by 15mpg! My dealer told me it had to break in. At about 12k it got better and now with 42k it get 16.7 mpg avg with a good mix of city & hwy. You can reset most of the readings by pressing the "chk" button after you select the reading. When I do that I found mpg on hwy goes up to 52mpg and quickly drops to an hwy only avg of 27mpg. I have Fwd Lt1 model. I would love more mileage I would gladly give up 50hp to gain 5-10 more mpg. Other than that the Traverse has been great! The only other problem is poor design of drivers floor mat. The little button ripped out of the floor and caused floor mat to get stuck under gas pedal and would not release pedal. Almost crashed! They just need 2 hooks under seat, which would allow easy removal for cleaning. If GM is monitoring this thread, please make changes.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning dlaube,

Thank you for your feedback on the Equinox! If you had wanted for us to create a formal product suggestion, we'd be happy to do so. Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and details of your suggestion(s)). We will document your recommendations and they will then be available to the appropriate departments.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns the latest model Honda CR-V, Hyundai Santa Fe or Chevy Traverse, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 1, 2012, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2012 for a copy of the survey.
  • rdriversrdrivers Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Traverse that died 5 days ago while driving with my 4 year old. No lights or indicators at all. Towed to the dealership. They say I need a new engine, which should be covered under my 5 year/100000 mile warranty (I have 41000 miles). We have changed the oil ourselves (dealership is 45 minutes from home) regularly and utilize the Onstar GM Oil Life system recommendations. Diagnostics from 3 weeks ago said no maintenance issues. The dealership is still trying to decide if they will cover it under warranty. Any advice?? It's been awfully frustrating as I am without a vehicle at this moment!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    We're sorry to hear that you are in this frustrating situation, rdrivers. If you would like for us to check into anything further, please email us at sociamedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • healer1healer1 Member Posts: 3
    I just drove from Michigan to South Carolina ,cold weather to warm,and found that the AC is working. I hit 36,000 miles on the way down. The dealerships say tough luck. When I press the AC button I get three light flashes. Any ideas?
    Correction, the AC is NOT working.
  • dlaubedlaube Member Posts: 2
    Did you turn on the fan before you turned on the a/c?
    yes, the fan was on.I wonder if itcould be a sensor.