Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Rogue gas gauge problems

mbr7mbr7 Member Posts: 1
We recently purchased a 2008 Nissan Rogue and noticed that the gas gauge is off. Even with a full tank of gas, the gauge will read the tank as below the full level. At times it will show the tank as 3/4 or 1/2. Other times it will show the tank at a full level when it shouldn't be, for example, 85 miles driven on a full tank of gas. I would think that should register at least one notch below the full level.
It will constantly go up and down on the same tank of gas.
Has anyone else had these issues?
We've had it back at the dealer several times, but so far they haven't been able to figure out the problem.

Comments

• marktresmarktres Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has a similar problem with her 2003 350Z that just started happening. If they figure out the problem I'd be interested in hearing.
  • sunglowsunglow Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem I took it to the dealer i told them to check the sending unit and they had to replace both primary and secondary sending units
    They also said that if that did not solve the problem they may have to replace the complete dash
    How ever it is working
    H :)
  • steelers08steelers08 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem. I fill up the gas tank and it only reads 3/4 tank. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times. The last time they admitted there is an issue with the sensor. They replaced it, now I fill it up and it only reads 1/2 a tank. And it never said when it was low on gas, my wife ran out of gas on the interstate and it still said she had 1/4 tank. They say they will replace it again.
  • ricardo_33172ricardo_33172 Member Posts: 34
    It is happening with my 2005 Pathfinder. I am telling everyone with this problem to call and then send a certified letter to Nissan, since I cannot believe that Nissan should continue ussing these faulty gas gauges in their cars. I bought a Nissan for it quality. If I would have known that it's components only work for 40,000 miles, I would have bought a Dodge or Chevy! :lemon:
  • kcabkcab Member Posts: 10
    I have similar problems. I do park downhill most of the time though, but even after I pull away the gas guage stays on full until I use a 1/4 tank. Then it shows less than full. Also it seems that this transmission over revs, in 6th gear/OD at 60mph I'm turning over 2000 rpm, this seems kind of high for being in OD. It also seems to like to get into the highest gear early when I'm driving on a secondary/neighborhood street at 25-30mph it will get into 5th where 4th or 3rd would be more appropriate gear.
  • kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    I'm having the same problem with my 2008 Rogue. Went to the dealer today, and Nissan is in the process of a "fix." At the current time, they can't do anything for me.
    I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder and I was reading that the gas gauge goes wrong at about 40k miles. Right on the money. Mine did not work. I went to several mechanics and they ran the code that always came back as a faulty gas gauge. Of course after the initial warranty was over the dealer wants to charge me to replace it. This is a common problem with several Nissan models. We should all unite to ask for a recall of the feul sensor since it is a defective parts. I did not buy a Nissan to work only up to 40k miles. They know about the problem. Just go to the parts counter and ask the parts person how many of these get sold! I understand that parts should not last forever, but this seems to be a Nissan problem about the quality of that part. I did contact Nissan directly and they said that I should go to a dealer for a diagnostic. The dealer wants to charge me $150 to tell me what everywhere else they have told me for free!
    If anyone finds out about a recall, please let me know. If we send out enough letters to Nissan USA (directed to the CEO) we might get a result. :mad:
  • lowqualitylowquality Member Posts: 1
    Everyone with this problem should read this about how recalls work: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automotive-recalls.htm/printable

Then go ahead and report it to NHTSA:
    Call the U.S. Department of Transportation's Vehicle Safety Hotline: (800) 424-9153
    Report the issue online: http://www.safercar.gov/
    Send a letter via U.S. Mail:
    U.S. Department of Transportation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Office of Defects Investigation (NVS-210)
    1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
    Washington, DC 20590
  • usaf_retiredusaf_retired Member Posts: 3
    File a complaint with the NTSB, stating safety issues; because it is! If you run out of gas because of a faulty gas gauge, in the middle of no where, or in a blizzard, you, or your family, will have some serious safety issues!
    Nissan knows about this, but are doing nothing about it. My neighbor just bought a 2011, and his gas gauge is already broken.
    REPORT IT, here, at the online link on this page.
    If you have to pay to fix this defect by replacing the cluster, you're looking at a $1000.00.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • stephenplstephenpl Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Montreal Canada, and have the same Fuel Gauge problem on a 2009 Rogue.
    Taking it in for second time this week for the same repair.
    Makes me think lon and hard about buying another Nissan product.
    stephenpl
  • rogueawdrogueawd Member Posts: 2
    My AWD Rogue was purchased new in 2008. Wife drives it exclusively. December 2011 mileage turned 16,000 and gas gauge level failed to register full on fill-up. Now at 16,500 miles and have to fill tank to over-flow level to assure it's full. Contacted dealer since there is a TSB on issue and quoted $888. for sender/sub-sender unit and labor. Filed a complaint with NTHSA on 1/9/2012. Registered complaint with Nissan North America. Nissan states: there is no active campaign or recall for this problem.
    Will never buy another Nissan. This is a defect and warrants a recall.
    Do not worry. I had the same problem with a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE. There is a recall for that part, but only applies to the 2006 Nissan Pathfinders. Go to your parts department and find out if the part for your Rogue is the same one as the one for the 2006 Pathfinder. If it is (and I can bet on it) contact Nissan USA directly and not the dealer. Ask them that you would like the part replaced since it is obviously defective as stated on the recall for the 06 Nissan Pathfinder. Document the case number and follow up. I was so upset because the recall only started with the 06 even though the 05 had the exact same part. After I did this in a couple of days out of goodwill the factory accepted to replace it and I went to the dealer. It got fixed free of charge.
    I just replied to the thread. If your vehicle has the same part # as the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder, contact Nissan Usa directly and have them authorize the replacement.

Here is a copy of the recall:

Recall ID # 80845 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:AUXILLARY TANK Hide Details
    Recall Date MAR 03, 2010
    Component FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:AUXILLARY TANK
    Model Affected Pathfinder
    Potential Units Affected 80689

Recall Date:
    MAR 03, 2010
    Model Affected:
    2006 Nissan Pathfinder
    Summary:
    NISSAN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006 AND MODEL YEAR 2008 FRONTIER, XTERRA AND PATHFINDER VEHICLES. THE MOLDED FUEL TANK SHELLS CAN DEFORM, CAUSING THE FUEL SENDER FLOAT ARM TO CONTACT AN EMBOSSMENT MOLDED INTO THE TANK SHELL CAUSING THE INSTRUMENT PANEL FUEL GAUGE TO SHOW THAT THE VEHICLE HAS APPROXIMATELY ONE QUARTER TANK WHEN THE FUEL TANK IS EMPTY.
    Consequences:
    THIS COULD CAUSE THE VEHICLE TO RUN OUT OF GAS AND STALL IN TRAFFIC, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT INSIDE THE FUEL TANK WITH A NEW ONE THAT HAS A MODIFIED FLOAT ARM. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE MARCH 22, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/nissan/pathfinder/recalls/#ixzz1jFtxFykp
    Did you see post about recall for same problem, on a different model; it's the same part! There is no doubt that there is a problem with this device, on all the models it's in; unfortunately, they have the people that make the recall happen in their pockets. I have had this problem for years, sometimes it works correctly, but most of the time it does not. I just keep filled, and watch mileage counter.
    Nissan has become terrible over the past five years,they're just not customer friendly, and I will never buy another one. I have owned four, loaded, Maxima's, and this Rogue. I was originally a Toyota guy, but had a problem with a salesman and left them; guess what, Toyota didn't care either. I had four Avalon's, they didn't care.
    I think it's time to come back and give American cars another chance. Maybe they have learned their lesson. If not, just keeping letting people know of the garbage they're building. If you know a mechanic ask him to search the site they use for repairs, this problem appears all over the world with Rogues.
    I would add that I also filed a complaint, and never heard a word. It's the old "....in the wind" theory, you're spinning your wheels.
    Thanks for your input.
    I was fighting to get the gas gauge fixed on my 2005 Pathfinder for a while. Then out of the blue I see on the news the recall for the 2006. I went and they the dealer told me that my car did not qualify beacuse it was a 2005. I did my reaserch and it was the same part # so I contacted Nissan and opened a case and I got it done.
    Believe me, Nissans do not have half of the problems that I have with my Honda Odyssey. And the Odyssey is Best in Class! I have several battles going on with the poor quality of the Hondas. When you mention giving the american cars a chance, I just wanted to remind you that Honda, Nissan and Toyotas are actually american cars built in the USA. The models that you see here are not even offered anywhere else. I am sorry to say that the quality in general for all american built cars is mediocre. Even if the brand is japanese, the vehicles are made here in the USA. Look at your VIN number. If it does not start witha "J", your vehicle was not made in Japan. I did own Hondas when they were built in Japan and never had a single problem. This is just my opinion.
    All true. Bring back the Datsun.
  • rogueawdrogueawd Member Posts: 2
    Contacted by Nissan Consumer Affairs on 1/12/2012. Message stated that they contacted the Michigan Dealer and discussed a "diagnosis" of gas gauge problem" and then will determine if Nissan will cover repairs. Will cost $119 to pull to a stop in the dealership service department. Have copied all the messages on this from all of you and will use them as further ammunition once I get there.
    Thanks to all of you for the input.
    Do not pay them anything. Why would you pay the dealer to tell you what they and you already know. There is even a recall! They tried to do the same to me. I sent a certified letter to the CEO of Nissan in America, Mr. Carlos Gosh and I received a call immediately and the issue was resolved.
  • kirley001kirley001 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2010 Rogue and I just had my 4th fuel sending unit installed at just over 25,000 miles. Issues range from never reading Full to running out of gas on the interstate when the gauge said there was over 1/4 tank left. Nissan has replaced them under warranty thus far but I am begining to worry as i am slowly approaching the end of my 3year/36k warranty. Not what I expected when I purchased a new car!
  • izzy60izzy60 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2010 Rogue, and have since December of 2010. The first year owning the Rogue, I had just one problem with the driver seat squeaking. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it...3x's. Finally, the problem was solved. Then in March of 2012, I noticed the fuel gage acting weird. It would read that I had a full tank...then would read almost empty, then bounce to 3/4 and so on. I had to gage my tank by my mileage. Upon taking my Rogue to the dealership, they said that this was a problem that the Rogue has. Fixed it at no charge. To make a long story short...I've had my Rogue in the shop 11 times for the same reason...dealt with Nissan...they said problem fixed...yeah right. I'm still having the problem after replacing the sending unit, dash cluster, fuel pump (2x's)...them having my car 2 and a half weeks at one time. I have no problem with the dealer, they've been great...it's Nissan. The service rep that came and talked to me, acted as if I didn't know how to read a fuel gage. He even showed me his artistic abilities by drawing me a gauge and how it should read....duh! Then the last time they came to the dealership, and was told that I was still having the problem, they just walked off and said the problem was solved. And treated the service personal real crappy. That was just recently 11/2012. I called Nissan again and left a message. I'm still waiting for a reply. Nissan has not be favorable in my book, dealing with cars. :mad:
  • pat915pat915 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2010 Rogue, the front drivers seat has an awful squeak, doesn't do it all the time but at least 60% of the time while I'm driving.
    What was the solution for fixing your front seat?
    Its driving me crazy and CarMax can't find the problem..
    I have leather interior.

Thanks for any info!
    Pat