Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 VW Routan

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited July 2014 in Volkswagen

Comments

• aa0526aa0526 Member Posts: 29
    How different in terms of performance is this from the Chrysler equivalent?
    Should I expect identical EPA estimates?

I know the engines (4.0 V6) are identical... but what about the transmission/ gear ratios? Are there any slight tweaks similar to how Mazda handles Ford engines for their lineups?

How about the suspension? Are they identical?
  • troop94troop94 Member Posts: 3
    I'm interested in a Routan, and have been reading as many reviews as I can.

The Routan has a better transmission (6 speed), better steering and suspension (due to more expensive mechanicals and further tuning), and better overall driving dynamics.

Fuel economy is the same as with Chrysler products.

The changes are substantial enough to make the Routan drive noticeably better.
    And of course the styling is different inside and out.

In my opinion, it's far the best-looking minivan in the market, especially in white or black.
  • joebertjoebert Member Posts: 22
    But is anybody buying them now with the economy the way it is.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Took my 06 passat in for service, and while I was there, looked at the Routan. VW did a very nice job with the interior, and I like the VW front end, too. I asked the salesman if people were buying. Just as he was answering I saw a young family go out for a test drive, and another salesman putting a tag on a sold unit. Good times?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• dz6tdz6t Member Posts: 18
    Chrysler? I am glad that I visited this forum.
    So it is same as a T&C then?
    Now I cross it off my list...
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Being a Chrysler is THE BEST reason there is to buy a VW Routan.

Volkswagen has made a nice, attractive interior with more comfortable 2nd row seats than the Chrysler "Stow 'N Go" or "Swivel 'N Go". The VW Routan provides more comfort and convenience features for a lower price than either the Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna. :shades:
  • mgoblue3mgoblue3 Member Posts: 8
    I agree with han...
    We were wanting to lease and looked at the Odyssey and Sienna before we decided on the Routan. Bottom line was all three were nice vans. The Honda drove really well but there was no way to justify the 245 per month more for a 36/39 month lease. We got quotes from multiple Honda dealers and they wanted $645 per month. We walked out the door paying $406 per month for the Routan SEL w/ RSE.
    Now that we have the Routan, we are very pleased. We have 3 kids and having two separate DVD systems is a definite plus. We have had multiple portable systems for our other vehicles, but they don't compare to this entertainment system with the wireless headphones, multiple screens, and 30gig system. The only van that has those same options are the Dodge/Chrysler but they don't lease and VW also offers 3 years free maintenance.
    We recently returned from a 2600 mile round trip Thanksgiving trip and it drove very well. The full seats in the second row blow the doors off the half seat stow and go in the Chrysler. Our second row full seats are heated as well.
    If anyone has any other questions, hit me up.
  • mgoblue3mgoblue3 Member Posts: 8
    We just got a white Routan and think it is the best looking minivan as well. We noticed quite a few T&C on the road and the rear just looks cheap. You can tell just by the stance that VW put a heftier suspension in the Routan as the T&C looks like it sags in the back.
    We are definitely pleased.
    " We recently returned from a 2600 mile round trip Thanksgiving trip and it drove very well. The full seats in the second row blow the doors off the half seat stow and go in the Chrysler. Our second row full seats are heated as well"

How did your trip mileage compare to the EPA estimated 17 mpg City / 24 mpg Highway with the 4.0L V6 listed at the bottom of the VW Routan brochure?
  • bkhbkh Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone tried after-market mats for the Routan like those from www.weathertech.com? They don't have a set specifically identified for the Routan but I'm thinking that Chrysler Town & Country mats should work. I emailed WeatherTech and they said that they couldn't make any guarantees that the T&C mats would work in the Routan. I think I'm going to risk it because their mats are great and they keep the carpeting spotless. See http://tinyurl.com/7qsqva for the full set.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    VW announced two weeks ago the immediate suspension of Routan production. The sales are dismal. VW said it would reevaluate production later in the Spring.

If I am not mistaken, the VW/Chrysler van venture was a result of the former chairman of Chrysler going to VW. He is gone. The Routan, from what I read, was not wanted by the existing VW execs and it seems as though they were correct.

I have no facts to back me up but would advise caution so as not to buy an orphan.
  • spotwiz61spotwiz61 Member Posts: 6
    I am exploring both the ROUTAN & the Honda Odyssey. BUT I have not herd any rumors of any suspension of Routan production! A GOOGLE search also has NO posted enties of any such suspension either!

Misinformation or BS ???????

Post the link to this so called info!

GOOGLE search link as to no such crediblity to this rumor: http://www.google.com/search?q=VW+announced+two+weeks+ago+the+immediate+suspensi- on+of+Routan+production&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourc- eid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGIH_en

Nice try!
  • scottyg1234scottyg1234 Member Posts: 25
    We just got the Honda Odyssey EX-L (which comes with Leather, moonroof, power doors and rear gate). My wife really wanted the Routan, but the numbers worked out similar for the Honda. Honda is a quality product and has high ratings from Consumer Reports (as does the Toyota Sienna). The Routan is in the first year of production, and if you were to compare the Chrysler T&C or Dodge Grand Caravan (the same vehicle as the Routan), you would see that the Chrysler/Dodge does not rate nearly as well as the Honda (or the Toyota)

I too have read that the production has been haulted on the Routan, but that did not effect my decision. The data on the Honda speaks for itself.
  • spotwiz61spotwiz61 Member Posts: 6
    The Honda Odyssey seem to be the best choice. After research why buy the ROUTON when it's the T&C w/ a German badge. T&C is offering a huge rebate for their van at a rebate of 40% the price. $35K for a 25L package for about $25K.

Lease an Odyssey or buy a T&C?

I'm with you on this one Scotty! Honda quality over a troubled manufacture down the road.

GL
  • glr3glr3 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried the rubber floor mats from WeatherTech in the Routan? I would like to get some from them, but I wanted to make sure they fit--don't want to spend $300+ for something that only fits the Town and Country!
    The Honda Odyssey is also a MUCH better choice than a Toyota Sienna but I would prefer the VW Routan to a Toyota Sienna.

My 2002 T&C LX was a better, more satisfying minivan than my more expensive 2002 Sienna LE. ;)
  • iloveyouiloveyou Member Posts: 8
    We spent a lot of time researching the all the vans and followed the developments for the past 10 years.

At the end, on top of the list were: odyssey and Routan.

My wife liked odyssey mainly because of the interior design - i still agree that odyssey has the best interior design.

But at a closer look, the 10 year old odyssey falls short of the brand new design Routan in almost all other aspects, IMO.

Here are just few i can think of right now.

The Old Odyssey:
    * odyssey reliability went to toilet since it was build in the South.
    * lots of mechanical problems (brakes, etc.)
    * lots of body-fit, rattle problems.
    * noisy as hell in the highway.
    * 10 year old design with cosmetic changes 5 years ago.

We bought a Routan SEL with Trim Pack #3

^ ^ ^ ^
    iLoveyouKrisiAmThat
  • krisofseattlekrisofseattle Member Posts: 20
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Volkswagen (VW) vehicle recently (within the past four months). Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, June 5, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• klozanoklozano Member Posts: 1
    This is the link I found about the Routan, and its future.

http://www.motor.es/noticias/vw-routan-posiblemente-sea-cancelado.php

In spanish, but basically says no more units are being produced since december 2008. (low sales, crisis) Thought it would be useful to know the rumour, still cannot swear for it being true.
  • tylerwkutylerwku Member Posts: 13
    I need help on deciding wether to get a Routan or Dodge/Chrysler?!?! I like both of them, but I am worried that they might not continue the Routan in 2010 because of the poor sells in 2009. I know that they will always make the Grand Caravan and Town and Country, so would that be the safer bet? Will I be able to still get parts for the Routan if it is discontinued? ( I know that it is mainly a Chrysler product, but I have heard that a few parts are actually made by VW Also does anyone have any insight on which is the cheaper to insure?

Thank for you help : )
  • jgrechsteinerjgrechsteiner Member Posts: 2
    We had the same concerns. But VW did release the Routan just as the market was crashing so it's no wonder that the sales have been lower. I have reads tons of consumer reviews on the Routan and everyone that has one LOVES it. I think with time it will catch on - maybe not like the Odyssey, but it'll have its place. What I've also noticed is the individuals that slam the Routan haven't test driven it, they aren't really "minivan people", and are frankly just "high brow" about the whole Chrysler partnership. We just bought the Routan 2 days ago and are anxiously awaiting its arrival, but we decided to get it over the only other one we were considering, the Honda Odyssey, because the value was just so much greater for the price you pay. We got the Highline (I think that's the SEL in the US?) and for a similar Odyssey I would have had to pay about 6K more for the EX-L (not sure if that's the model in the US - the one with the leather seats). And if it doesn't catch on, well... then the parts will be there from all the cars that are sitting around! :)

Good luck.
  • early74bearly74b Member Posts: 34
    With the cash for clunkers deal ending when it did, decided to use our '97 Dodge Grand Caravan towards another vehicle with close to the same utility but a step up.
    I actually cross-shopped the Routan with a Toyota Highlander (FWD V6 Ltd) a VW Tiguan (SEL) and the new Chevy Equinox (2LT 4WD). The Dodge & Chrysler minivan versions weren't on the list as the second row seats in stow-n-go form were uncomfortable and we didn't see the swivel ones as something we wanted. The Highlander was OK but some interior materials seemed cheap and for what we wanted was close to $7 or $8K more than the Routan, the Tiguan was quite nice but just a bit too small (we also have a Mazda3 GT 5-door, Tiguan offered just about the same space) and the Equinox was brand new, not may (if any) on Chevy dealer lots as well as no discount from list. Having owned 3 VW's in the past (Scirocco, Fox and New Beetle) I knew what I was getting into so the Routan actually offered both the space and more importantly comfort we were looking for. We needed to take our youngest back to college from Chicago to the upper MI U.P. and the Routan was great -- compliant but not floaty ride, separate auto A/C and heated seats to meet each person's preferences, tons of room, Sirius radio, GPS and lots of little extra's that make well executed minivan's an often overlooked option; plus first tank was 22 MPG, last tank was 27MPG (with the bigger 4.0L V6) so not much of a mileage penalty with something this big. With VW's 3-year free maintenance and the heavy discounts, our SEL w/trim pkg 3 and Navi was quite close to Edmunds TMV price -- you add another $3,500 off for the old Dodge and that's a great value as well. Of course I realize that there are quite a few Chrysler bits in the Routan (it's actually made in Canada alongside other Chrysler minivans) but I think VW has done a great job with the interior as well as the suspension and exterior styling and the 4.0L engine is from the euro division Chrysler/Dodge group so it's almost a 'custom' minivan that past and present VW owners could relate to.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    since when Chrysler/Dodge group has a euro division before the Fiat takeover?
    I like the Routan but that's nothing VW about it other than the name, the face-lift and the remake of the interior. It's basically still a Town & Country.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    and mercedes benz is not a Chrysler/Dodge euro division...
  • thewolfthewolf Member Posts: 1
    I read a couple of reviews where people had issues with the automatic doors, unlocking, opening and not functioning properly. My 09 is also having these problems and the dealer can't fix it, anyone have any success in getting these problems fixed and what did they do?
  • mrscoffieldmrscoffield Member Posts: 14
    So a friend of mine was mentioning that I should look at a Routan, we have a 3rd child on the way and no vehicle to fit all of us. My question is, is there an optional 8th seat? I really like that the Sienna and Odyssey have the optional 8th seat. It seems like the Routan may have less cargo space too, which isn't a huge deal to me, but I'd hate to pass on extra cargo space. Thanks!
  • jgrechsteinerjgrechsteiner Member Posts: 2
    We bought our Routan at the end of August in preparation for the arrival of our third child and we love it. I know there are a lot of posts out there about people complaning of problems, but we haven't had one. We test drove the Odyssey, T&C, Grand Caravan (not the Sienna as my husband didn't like the look of it at all) and found the Routan drove the best.

There is no optional 8th seat. Two captain chairs in the front row, two in the middle, and then space for 3 in the back. We have car seats in the middle row and also one in the back row for our 5 year old. The latch is in the middle of the row but I think a smaller person could fit themselves next to that car seat.

We have no problem with the amount of storage - there is lots for us and my husband is the kind of guy that transports tools and such to our cottage.

Good luck with your decision!
  • mrscoffieldmrscoffield Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the info. It really is a great looking van and I have to agree with your husband, the Sienna body style is horrible.
  • tipoytmtipoytm Member Posts: 4
    Wife and I are both inlove with our Routan SEL. Never looked into minivans before, but after we recently test drove the SEL vs. a 2010 Odyssey, we were sold! Took it for a 1.5Kmile roadtrip just this Thanksgiving weekend and it performed extremely well. She now has 2K+ miles on the odometer. Only complaint I have is the auto-dimming rear view mirror doesn't work... but that should be an easy fix with the dealership. VW badge/suspension/styling/interior, endless features, napa leather, 3-year free maintenance and $10K off MSRP (opted out of the 0% APR financing), what's not to like??
  • tipoytmtipoytm Member Posts: 4
    Just got my December issue of Motortrend magazine, turns out the Routan is the only minivan that was considered for the "2010 Car of the Year" Award! And this is the SE trim (w/ 3.8L engine) that they tested... check the article out:

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/112_1001_2010_motor_trend_car_of_the_yea- - r_contenders_and_finalists/2010_volkswagen_routan.html
  • abbymabbym Member Posts: 5
    For all you peeps out there with three kids: I was totally anti-minivan (I'm even anti-SUV). Until I drove a Routan. You gotta get the SEL, though. It floats along the road with that big engine. It fits all my kids and all their cr*p (stroller, soccer stuff, etc). It is luxurious. It is highly kid friendly (i.e. power doors, airplane lighting inside) and is the answer for those of you who can't stand the thought of a minivan but know you really need one. I resisted. For months. And then I bought one and loved it. Someone smashed into me a month ago, totaling my Routan. My entire family hardly felt the impact (it was THAT safe). And I turned around and bought the same minivan again. Don't worry about that 8th seat. Really how often would you use it? An architect once told me "don't build a house around your annual holiday party" and I say the same: "don't buy your car for the odd and rare need of an 8th passenger (or whatever)" Get it for everyday!
  • stjohnsstjohns Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    We have enjoyed our 09' Routan. The 4.0 V6 is quick and quiet. The 6 speed is smooth and responsive. The power door & rear hatch is family friendly. I did have the dealer switch disc rotors for free. MPG is 21 on hwy & 18 stop & go. Not bad for the loads we put in it. We recommend this VW for a family car :)
  • beedadabeedada Member Posts: 3
    Picking up a 2010 Routan SE w/ RSE & Nav:
    36mo 36k mi lease in NY/NJ area
    $1000 total due at signing includes tax, 3yrs of NY tags, 1st mo payment
    $438/mo

Is this a decent deal? Thanks..
  • wonderinginmdwonderinginmd Member Posts: 4
    Anyone experiencing this? fix for this? 6 month old 2009 Routan - last 3 months, when driving with windows down, no ac/heat on - horrible musty smell comes out of the windows. With windows up - no smell. There was no event that preceded this, ie. raining with the windows down, etc.. VW Dealer has no answers at this point. Dealer is thinking about pulling door panels....
  • melcockmelcock Member Posts: 1
    Yes, just brought the car back to dealer today. They said they are going to pull the door panel apart. Our van has about 3500 miles on it. the smell is making occupants sick.
This discussion has been closed.