Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Touring 2009 -

Comments

• csi007csi007 Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone figured out how to install an aftermarket radio/Nav in the touring?
  • csi007csi007 Member Posts: 26
    Add us to the list of new Elantra Trouing owners. :) Picked up a gray sport package automatic with mats and bluetooth.
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Congratulations. I love the carbon gray. I didn't get it because I already have it in my 2008 Elantra SE. I got the pearl black in the touring and love the way it sparkles in the sun. Red and blue were too bright for this old lady and I was bored with silver cars since we've had so many of them in the past. I really enjoy driving the Elantra. Hope you do too. Marlene
  • kathyc2kathyc2 Member Posts: 159
    On Edmunds TMV they indicate that there is an $1000 dealer rebate in addition to the $1500 customer rebate. My dealer is saying there is not. Can anyone verify which is correct?
  • liznlizn Member Posts: 5
    Don't know if this helps, but I just bought a Touring last night off the lot at $14,830, with floor mats, mud gards, and the I-Pod cable. That's pretty far below the Edmunds number, since it includes another $900 or so I paid in taxes. I think they have at least $1000 in rebate, maybe even more to sell at that price.
    Good luck!
    That does help! Thank you very much. So, you got it for under 14K before tax? Did you get any of the extra rebates like current Hyundia owner, recent graduate or military? What state are you in? Again, thanks for the help.
    Yep, it came it at just about $14,000. Taxes & registration were another $800 or so- I live in Virginia. I didn't qualify for any of other rebates.
    Dealers are really competitive in my area (around Washington DC) so I think that helped. I shopped 6 different dealers & kept sending the quotes back and forth between dealers getting them lower and lower. Also got free oil changes, inspections & tires for two years. They all started with asking prices at $16,999.
    Good luck in your purchase!
    I think I'd have to go a couple hundred miles to find 6 Hyundai dealers.
    This was for the touring (wagon) correct? Manual or automatic?
    That's about 3 grand less than my dealer in Indiana is telling me. Maybe I need to take a road trip to DC to pick one up. :mad:
    It was for the Touring & automatic. I think the key was that I shopped so much. It is nice time of the year to visit DC and might pay for itself and more!
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    Has anyone driven a newer Sonata (since the model change) and the Touring? If so can you compare the:
    1) smoothness of ride
    2) cabin noise

I had a hatchback Elantra which I traded in for a 2007 Sonata. IMHO the Sonata had a much smoother ride and a much quieter ride.

Or, how much smoother and quieter is the Touring than the Elantra Hatchback?

Thanks!

Berto
    I can't compare the Touring to the Sonata, but I can compare the Touring to the Elantra SE Sedan. I own both a 2008 Elantra SE sedan and the 2009 Touring. I don't find the Touring noiser than the sedan at all. The Touring is lower to the ground than the Sedan and the seats seem stiffer, but other than that I don't notice much of a difference. I like both vehicles. Marlene
  • glitch1glitch1 Member Posts: 26
    I understand with the Elantra Sedan, the recent IIHS side impact results were not good. I was wondering if there was enough data to know if the Touring has decent side impact ratings? How is the safety overall of the Touring?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Personally I wouldn't make any assumptions about the IIHS test results on the Touring, based on the sedan. The Touring is actually based on the i30, not the Elantra sedan. It's possible the Touring will fare differently in the IIHS tests than the sedan.

I think it's interesting though that the NHTSA has apparently applied their crash test results from the sedan to the Touring. I base that on the fact that the results, and weight of the test cars, are exactly the same. Given the differences between the sedan and Touring, I don't think that was very smart on the part of the NHTSA.

The Touring does have six airbags and standard ESC and ABS, which are excellent safety features.
    Thank you for the response. I'm wondering when more safety data may be available for the Touring? This seems like a great car, but I'd hate to buy it only to find some safety concerns down the road.

Right now, we like the Touring very much, but this is our main concern.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for the IIHS to release crash test results on the Touring. As I recall it took them about 2 years to release results on the Gen 4 Elantra sedan. But maybe they'll be quicker on the trigger with the Touring.

You might also look up the European (NCAP) test scores on the i30. They are not done in the same way as the IIHS tests but they are better than nothing:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/hyundai_i30_2008/331.aspx
    Thanks for that link! That is informative, and it looks like the side impact test fared well. It seems the torso area is the area that had a slightly lower rating (though still adequate). I suppose i will have to make my decision before the IIHS releases results for the Touring.

Thanks again.
  • justloujustlou Member Posts: 35
    I'd like to know how people are driving these Touring Editions of the lot for well under $15K. I've spent the week at countless dealers here in the tri-state area trying to get the best deal, and none of them are even close to this. The car lists for $19.4K here. The best price I got so far was $16,200 before taxes and motor vehicle charges. The deal doesn't seem awful ($1,500 rebate, and $1,700 off sticker), but how are people getting these cars for between $14-$15K OTD??? I took my best price ($16,200 to 3 other dealers, and all of them said they can't match or beat it. I'm paying cash with no trade, and a dealer turned down my offer of $16K even + taxes and tags. I've never had a dealer let me get up and leave over $200. All together with NY taxes and MV , the best OTD price I can get is about $18.5K. How can it be more than $4K more than what others claim to have paid?
    If it helps, I got the car in the Washington DC area, which has a lot of dealerships that are very competitive with each other- it was easy to shop around to 6 different ones in the same day. Only one of them got under $15k in the end- and I had to send emails back and forth many times to figure out which one would get to that price. I've suggested this before- but maybe it's worth a plane trip/ train ticket to get here & buy it for less & then drive it back?
    Liz
    I have about 6 Hyundai dealerships within 25 miles of where I live in the NY/NY area.
    None of them will go below $18K "Out the Door". If I knew for sure I could save $3K+, I'd drive to DC tomorrow. ;)
    Try Towne Hyundai in Denville, NJ. They seem to have excellent prices through their internet department,. I was just about to buy my Touring there, but then Brad Benson's in South Brunswick, NJ beat them by $800. I paid approximately $16,000 OTD ($13, 000 trade on my Sienna plus $3,000 for the Touring). This included the difference in tax between my trade and the Touring, and registration. Brad Benson's is very high pressure, and makes you sign an agreement saying that if they beat a price you will buy a car that day. I prefer the sales department at Towne. They are much better to work with, and I appreciate their honesty, but the $800 savings and the fact that Brad Benson's is an hour and a half closer to where I live, sealed the deal for me. I love my Touring thus far. Just hit 1,500 miles. Marlene
    Thanks for the tip. I was at Brad Benson. Since you had a trade, it's tough to compare what the bottomline OTD price really was. Their "final" offer was $16.5K plus taxes etc, and they let me leave when I offered $16K plus tax.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    lou, have ya tried fitzmall.com? Super easy search on their site and they do have auto Touring's listed as low as $15,500. Of course that number could change on Friday night, July 31st (end of month!) if you are sitting in the dealership at 9:00pm with check in hand made out to them for $14,999.
    I just checked the prices and it's pretty interesting. They have a couple listed real cheap, but the the couple that are the exact match to the cars I was looking at here in NY (MSRP $19,400), are priced the same as here. $16,200-$16,700.
  • southallsouthall Member Posts: 3
    I had been shopping for an Elantra Touring Base for a couple of weeks when I happened accross an internet site for a dealer in Richmond, Va., 150 miles away from me. The site listed the inventory and the MSRP for each vehicle. But they did not post a sales price. Instead, there was a link that said "name your price". So I did. Within an hour or so, I had an email saying my price had been accepted, no haggling, no whining. After a couple more emails and one phone call, everything was set. We drove to the dealer today, did some paperwork and picked up our car. Everyone was very friendly. It was the most pleasant car buying experience I have ever had. Did I pay too much though?
    Elantra Touring Base with mud guards and mats: MSRP $19,475
    Paid $15,650, this price included freight, all dealer fees, and a $1500 rebate, but did not include TTT, which I will handle myself in NC.
    Dealer: West Broad Hyundai, Richmond, Va.
    Hmm, priceline.com comes to car buying! Interesting. I wonder what they do if someone names a ridiculous price, like $5000 for the Elantra Touring?
  • guargguarg Member Posts: 12
    I have the touring with 16" wheels and tires and it is not a bad as the 17 inchers in handling bumps. The Sport version with the larger tires have a lower profile which make the bumps harsher. The 16 inches absorb them much better.
    I also have the Touring with 16" wheels and don't find it bumpy at all. It feels no different than the 2008 Elantra SE that I also own. The only difference I find is that the Touring is a lower ride and the steering isn't quite as agile as the SE sedan. The seats are also harder but still comfortable.
  • sevenseassevenseas Member Posts: 44
    With having a strong interest in making the Elantra Touring my next car I was hoping those of you that own one could answer a few questions:

1) How is the stock audio system?
    2) Are you getting the stated MPG?
    3) Are the seats comfortable, especially for longer drives?
    4) Is the fit and finish holding up (no rattles)?
    5) Does the engine feel powerful enough?
    6) Are the headlights bright enough at night?
    7) Any complaints?

Thanks!
  • eba55eba55 Member Posts: 20
    I have a silver automatic with sport package. only 3600 miles so far.

1. I like it a lot- best I've ever had, but I'm no audio fanatic. Kids love the I Pod cable
    2. Yes, 26-27 in town.
    3. Yes, but I've only done a short road trip
    4. Yes
    5. Ok, but when merging I often wish I would've gotten the 5sp manual
    6. yes
    7. I'm not a fan of the black interior,but that's because I have 3 kids and a white dog who's never even been in the car but her fur is all over the floor mats.It looks great when it's clean, but it's hard for me to keep clean.

overall i highly recommend. This is my second Elantra and the other one was great too, but I wanted a hatchback. Love the versatility :) .
    I agree with all the above responses, except that I get between 25 and 26 mpg around town, but often in heavy traffic. The audio system is fine for me, although I usually listen to easy listening music or music of the 60s. The seats are comfortable although not a cushy as the seats on my 2008 Elantra SE. The finish is holding up fine thus far, although I have only 1,600 miles on the Touring, since I bought it in May. Engine is powerful enough, although it does seem a bit loud when I am accelerating onto a highway. I haven't taken it on a mountainous trip yet. My 2008 Elantra SE climbed the mountains of Vermont and NH without any problem. I would have gotten another Elantra SE, since my daughter will be taking ours to college this year, but I traded in a 2004 Sienna Van and we needed the hauling capability to get her back and forth to college. Thus far, I'm quite happy with the Touring, although it is a different ride than the SE sedan. It's lower to the ground, and has a more sportscar feel to the ride.
    Your price of 16,200 seems reasonable for a car that lists for 19450. I am in the Pennslvania area and I paid 16300 plus tax and tags. All of the dealers in this area are charging about the same. 1500 dollar rebate plus dealer discount. Those out the door prices of 14-15K are hard to believe. I notice some dealers in the Washington DC area are advertising prices about 15k, but tthey tack on a proceesing fee of about 350 bucks in addition to tags and tax. I was thinking of driving down, but it was not worth the 161 mile drive one way to take advantage of a few hundred dollar diffence. Plus the fact I like my dealer and it is only 2 miles from home.l
    I have the 2009 Hyundai Touring in Carbon Gray and it really looks sharp. Does anyone know if the windows are tinted especially the Front Windshield, it sure seem hot to the touch reflecting into the front cabin. If anyhone knows please let me know.
    I purchased it. Black with black interior. It looks sharp. I'm most impressed by the gas mileage. Took a 300 mile trip last weekend on 9 gallons of gas. Spent this week driving locally, and still averaging 28+ MPG. :shades:
    Yes, the windows are definitely tinted.
    I purchased the black with beige interior and love it. The black sparkles with all different colors when clean and in the sun. I have noticed that the cabin and steering wheel (which is black) gets extremely hot in the sun. I am going to purchase window shades to put on the windshield while the car is parked. I am getting between 25 and 26 mpg thus far but usually in fairly heavy traffic. I have almost 2,000 miles on the touring now and the mileage has come up from 23 to 24 mpg early on. I just filled up my tank today after almost two weeks for $29.50. Quite a change from my $75 a week Toyota Sienna that I traded for the Touring. Our only problem will be getting my daughter to college with less hauling space. I considered getting the carbon gray but my 2008 Elantra SE is carbon gray, which I love, but wanted something different. I was bored with silver since our Honda Accord is silver, and the Toyota Corolla my daughter totalled was silver, so the black was the best choice for me. I felt the red and blue were just too bright for this almost 60 year old woman. I'm curious about the cash for clunkers program. I traded a 2004 Sienna XLE in excellent condition and was given $13,000 for it (this was before the program took effect). I paid $3,000 OTD for the Touring. I was able to save the difference in tax between my trade and the touring as well. If I would have waited to trade the Sienna until the Cash for Clunkers took effect, would I have gotten more for my trade? And what does the dealer do with the car since under that program I don't think he could sell it? Thanks Marlene
    I really don't know anything about the "cash for clunkers".
    I bought my wife a 2008 Black Elantra last year. I never thought I buy another black car, but I thought the Touring Edition looked great in black.
    Without a trade, Towne in Denville NJ was offering me the Touring for $15,521, not counting tax and tags. When I figured the tax and tags, I would have been paying about $16,800 OTD and would have to sell my Sienna XLE LTD on my own. I didn't want to go through the hastle of doing that, and the tax savings was substantial by trading it, so I think I did well with my $13,000 trade and $3,000 additional OTD for the Touring atB. benson. It was about an $800 savings over Towne, but very high pressure. I'm surprised Benson let you walk. They stopped me from driving out three times that evening.
    Where did you end up purchasing the car, and what was your OTD price?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    If I would have waited to trade the Sienna until the Cash for Clunkers took effect, would I have gotten more for my trade?

Marlene, you would not have gotten more for your trade if you waited. Cash for Clunkers is only helpful if your trade-in is worth less than $4500. One of the provisions of the C4C law is that the trade-in must be destroyed--so you don't get C4C plus trade-in value, you get C4C instead of trade-in value.

If you had, say, a '98 Sienna instead of the '04, then it still wouldn't make sense to go the C4C route, because even the '98 Sienna is worth more than $4500, unless it's totally trashed.
  • brokejumper1brokejumper1 Member Posts: 5
    I am interested in an Elantra Touring and my wife and I have pretty much decided on the manual with the premium package if we can get it for around $16,000 or so.

My problem is that it was really tough simply to find a manual to test drive and if we want the premium package or a specific color the local inventory (Pacific Northwest) is incredibly limited according to internet searches.

Any suggestions on how to get the car we want? Should we try and arrange a purchase at a local dealer and see if they can arrange a trade to get the vehicle with the specs we want or would we be better off just waiting for the 2010s to show up and getting one of those when they will likely have more options. Thanks!
    Thanks. That is what I thought. My colleagues at work kept telling me that I should have waited until after July 21st and I would have gotten more for the Sienna through the Cash for Clunkers program. I told them it didn't make sense unless the car was quite old and not worth much, since the dealer is not allowed to sell any car that qualifies for the program. Thanks for confirming it. I feel much better now. Marlene
    It seems like low $16K's or high $15K are good numbers to shoot for on the Elantra Touring, from the last several posts I've read. But are these for the manual or automatic transmission? Would it be an additonal $800 for automatic or are most people getting quotes for the automatic?

I did get a salesman to offer me $16K for a Touring with A/T, but I wasn't ready to buy at the time. I am in the Portland area.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My wife and I drove a manual transmission Elantra Touring with Premium-Sport Package and mats. (I don't have all the options nailed, the wagon had tinted windows. Not sure if Bluetooth was installed). MSRP was ~$20,530. TMV after the $1,500 rebate is $16,639. The initial volley was to deduct the rebate, $3,500 voucher and $100 "scrappage" off MSRP and get us to $15,430 plus 6% tax, $249 doc and $8 title fee. Nothing to get excited about in other words.

We aren't sure we want another wagon (still leaning toward an xD OTD for ~$12.7, but that's another story), but the Elantra drove nicely and shifted good. I thought 2nd gear was a bit flat but it's hard to say on a short test drive. The 17" tires and alloys don't interest me, but maybe they could be craigslisted. The dealer wasn't interested in swapping them out. Tire Rack has a recommended replacement 16" tire for $71, vs about $110 for the cheapest replacement all season 17" to fit the Touring. Most seem to run more like $170 each. Did I mention that I'm cheap?

The sunroof was nice and the heated seats are high up on my wish list. I also like being able to use a USB stick since I don't have a decent mp3 player. I can't think of any other bells and whistles it doesn't have that I'd want. One minor sticking point is that Yakima doesn't have clips for it yet, so my roof rack wouldn't fit and Hyundai doesn't have an OEM rack yet either, although one is in the pipeline supposedly.

The dealer could get the color we like (gray) but I think they are about $2,000 too high when I read the deals here and look at Fitzmall (I have a sister in VA so in theory I could fly there on a free pass and drive one back....).

Pretty good showing by Hyundai and the salesperson was knowledgeable and easy going.

Steve, visiting host
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Just wondering how you guys are getting these deals? I'm looking at an SE but I prefer the Touring (Kinda torn..I drive 100 miles a day, so better MPG is good...but I HATE trunks)...I hear lots about these below-invoice deals but no one's making them around here near as I can tell. In fact, there seems to be a shortage, particularly of SEs (though they're not moving below invoice on the Touring prices either). I've even got multiple dealers to work with to play off of each other, and a local Nissan dealer that offers in-house unlimited powertrain warranties that I can hold over their heads (provided I do all the maintenance there, anyway).

Of course, I could have pretty much any GLS I want...tons of them sitting around without A/C don'tcha know. :)
  • sevenseassevenseas Member Posts: 44
    I test drove the Elantra Touring as well as the Scion XB today.

First, I really liked the look of the Elantra Touring. The car I drove had the Carbon Grey color. AC was strong and cold. Plenty of space with the rear seats down. Acceptable stereo. Easy to get the right driving position. Good driving visibility. Turning radius good. Car tracked well.

I found the seats fit well but a little too firm to my liking. The engine sounded very tinny, with engine power lacking but since reported mileage has been good I suspect its geared for mpg. The ride is firm, with bumps being felt (17" tires). Overall I liked it but decided not to purchase one. If the seats were more comfortable and Hyundai had designed a more powerful engine I would have bought it. Hyundai did a great job in overall design, especially for the price!

I stopped by a local Scion dealership after my Elantra Touring test drive and drove the XB. Overall exterior styling was good. Preferred the dash layout of the Elantra Touring over the XB which instrument gauge is centered. The model I drove had the Pioneer Stereo with Navagation. It sounded better than the Elantra but not by very much. Forgot to test the ac (will have to do another test drive in the future). I felt the engine was a big improvement over the Elantra Touring. Seats were more comfortable for me. Turning radius good. Better storage space with the rear seats down. A much more improved ride over the Elantra Touring.

The XB driving experience feels very odd to me. Driving feels like a mini van due to the front window and dash extended further from the drivers position, and squared off. I was unable to hang my arm out the drivers window due to it being too far from me. The folding arm rest is a joke. But I liked it better than the Elantra Touring, although I'm not sure I will purchase one (need one more test drive to decide).

I used to own a Mitsubishi Sportback (station wagon) and foolishly traded it in when I bought my Lexus IS300 to keep my car payments down. Now looking for an inexpensive wagon type car as a replacement and will trade in my beloved Lexus. Next test drive is the Subaru Forester.
  • nairbsodnairbsod Member Posts: 8
    Posted this over on the Elantra board, but this is the more appropriate place for it....

Just signed the deal on a 2009 Elantra Touring base automatic. OTD 15,750. subtract the cash for clunkers (4500) to that, and the price OTD was 11,250. This was from a MD dealer, but the car is registered in VA so tax was only 3%.

Here's the detailed breakdown:
    $14,371 car price
    +$695 Freight
    +$100 Documentation/Processing fee
    = $15,066
    +$84 State fees
    +$500 VA tax
    =$15,750 final price.
    -$4,500 cash for clunkers
    = $11,250

financing was 4.39% over 60 months.
  • edtrededtred Member Posts: 2
    What dealer in Maryland did you buy from? That is a really good price! Thanks for any info!

Ed
  • nairbsodnairbsod Member Posts: 8
    antwerpen was the dealer. even though we had the price set up before walking in the door, it was still a 3 hour experience. not the best by a long shot, but in the end the price was right. I had emailed all of the metro dealers and a few of them were willing to compete and get their prices down. I had 15,800 OTD but antwerpen came in at the last second with 50 lower - plus the car had a few goodies thrown in (door protection, ipod cable, locking lugs). the other dealers seemed like they wanted to play games as well - they would hesitate on getting me the info I requested (price breakdown and car specs).
  • garylegaryle Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like a good price -- better than I've been quoted this week. Who was the salesperson/dealer? I'm wondering if they've gone up in price after the C.A.R.S. rules got published last Friday.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    They were going up before that, depending on the region. Hyundai jumped into CARS early too, which threw things off a bit: suddenly Accent and Elantra were in high demand (probably I4 Sonatas too) because Hyundai was starting CARS early, plus they got high-enough MPGs to qualify under the program.