Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G8 to be discontinued in it's first generation

darkd75darkd75 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Pontiac
It's hard to believe but GM is killing off their best sedan due to high fuel prices and a weak economy. I have been debating on a G8 or the new Camaro, but I may have to fire up the Pontiac instead. There is no other car that can offer it's bang for the buck in the sedan segment.This is a sad day indeed...

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Really? When will be the last year? I'm assuming it'll run through at least a 3 year cycle?

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • darkd75darkd75 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure when that will be, but I'm sure that GM wants to get it's money back on it's investment. I am guessing it will run for three more years to complete the normal 5 year product cycle.
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    I want one bad to replace my '04 Bonny GXP in the next year or so; but I don't want a black interior. Any chance a lighter interior could be offered in '10? That's when my extended warranty expires on the GXP.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    It's hard to believe but GM is killing off their best sedan...

You're right! It is hard to believe! Proof, please. :lemon:
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    it's sad to hear, but not surprising. i predicted when the car was first introduced that it wouldn't sell and this was before the insane spikes and dips in the price of crude.

as i stated way back when, it's not the price of gasoline (though of course that's part of the equation) but the logistics of where the car and it's engine are built and then assembled. with the cost of transport also going through the roof, the idea of shipping engines across the pacific and then the finished product coming back across....well you can see this was a no win scenario.

i must say, i would seriously consider buying one in a few years, though...and it's possible i would pay through the nose for one; this car could become a really hot item on the second hand market.

jackg
    06 sts6
  • georgecavaliergeorgecavalier Member Posts: 54
    Besides the CTS, the G8 IS GM's best sedan. It seems like much of the automotive press is calling it a budget 5-series and it pretty much spanks it's more direct competition(i.e. 300C and Charger). I also heard that the Solstice will go away soon, as well. While I was never a big fan of it, the Solstice was the one of two vehicles in Pontiac's lineup that gave it the ability to boast that it's a performance division. I know all of this isn't happening now but 5 years isn't that far away. If there aren't any replacements for these models where does that leave Pontiac? Rebadged Cobalts (G5) and Aveos (G3) with less body styles and options as well as the Vibe which would probably be better off with a Chevy or Saturn badge. This, by default, would make the G6 the highest performing model. While I think the G6 is a great car, it can't be the flagship of a "performance division." If GM doesn't replace the Solstice or G8 or add any more legitimate performance cars, they might as well put Pontiac out of its misery.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I agree, without the G8, a higher quality car, I don't believe Pontiac will have a leg to stand on. Also, with no leasing option on GM cars, didn't they consider that people might not want to actually finance a G6. I seems like the limited their intake. They should do what others are doing, offer better incentives, get them moving. It really seems like the Pontiac brand is falling off the line. Their line up is getting stale and boring. You look at the overall brand and it does not reflect something of which shows nearly 2009. Pontiac really could be a great brand, showing lots of youth, and coolness! But, its like they put the brand on the back burner. The G6's are selling, but I am not sure I would ever finance one for myself. I would lease one though. and I am right now, but I am going to post my car on swapalease, and get a Honda product.

This would be a great time to evaluate their overall line up of all brands they own, and really focus on cars that could get them through to the top. I believe they have too many models, therefore, I think the overall quality suffers when you are just focusing on overall cars on the road. The G8 is an awesome car, if they could figure a way to add an engine, like a high powered 4cyl. It can be done, the VW brand has SUV's that are powered by a 2.0T. This would add a techy type appeal to the car, as you would get great mileage, and get the good looks. Then get rid of the G6, and make the G8 the primary car, since most cars these days are about this size anyway.

That would be so cool, a G8 with a nice efficient 4cyl, great mileage. The VW passat, the VW tiguan has this on their cars, and do just fine. I do understand that this is supposed to be a performance car, but with the economy, it was bad timing. The name G8 just seems like a gas hog. Though it really gets decent mileage.
  • 04gtpws604gtpws6 Member Posts: 12
    I live in two states: Ohio and California. I wanted to wait and get a 6 speed manual G8 GXP, but I didn't want to take a rental car to the Ames Tri-Power Nationals and Dream Cruise. So leased a sport red 2009 G8 GT on July 28th. I've raced it at Norwalk Raceway, Drag way 42, Milan, and Nationals Trails. Now, this weekend I drag raced at Fontana here in Southern Cali.

I was going to leave the G8 in Ohio for my car back there, but it was too fun to drive not to have it with me out here. I made a nice road trip out of the trip back, by going west on I-94 to America's Autobahn: Montana, and then way up into Alberta and British Columbia.

This is not only a fun drag racing car, it is a terrific road car. Gas mileage isn't all that great at 65-70 (26 mpg), but doesn't deteriorate all that much as speeds get up into the 85-90 range (22-23mpg). The car is impeccably smooth with perfect wheel balance. 120 feels pretty much like 70 except the scenery is moving by faster. The back seat might well be more comfortable than the fronts and there's a big bunch of room back there. This car is almost the same size as a 750i and with about the same back seat room.

I driven the base G8 with the V6 and the character of the car is just ruined without the big V8. I can't even imagine what this would be like with a 4 cylinder, but I know it wouldn't be for me.

This car is very much the car for the guys that had the Impala SSs from 94-96, and in fact, quite a few G8 owners are formers owners of the Impala. Of the 60 cars that I've had in my lifetime, this one might just be number one for bang for the buck. Where else can you get a big, comfortable, rear wheel drive, modern V8 sedan that will run mid 13s and top end at 170 or so for $31,000? I may just do another one so I can have the GXP with the 6 speed manual. Since I live in two states, I have to have sets of everything so that is my excuse.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Still waiting for some proof...
    You don't think that 26 MPG is great in a near full size car with a 361hp V8? I would be lucky to get that in my 2001 Z24.
    So far I have only heard this new on Inside Line.
  • 04gtpws604gtpws6 Member Posts: 12
    My 6 speed LS-1 Vette would do in the low 30s MPG when driven gently at 70-75 mph in 6th so I thought the G8 might do a little bit better. However, it's a heavier car by about 700 lbs and we had about 400-500 lbs of people and luggage.

What did surprise me is that when we got out to North Dakota and Montana and started rolling at 85-90 mph on I-94 with a few bursts up to 140-150 that the gas mileage didn't fall off anyways as much as I thought it would. I think our worst tank was still 22 mpg so in that respect it was pretty good.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yup I'm waiting for the GXP 6MT. No point in getting such a powerful car w/o a MT or a sequential/DSG (non-torque converter) trans.

:)

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    My son has a 8 month old G8 GXP - does anyone know what GM plans to do about spare parts and warranty?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    Thanks for the link - however it seems to state the situation to be better than it really is, especially for the high end G8.

From my son:

Parts are shipped to the US on request only, who knows why.

A dealer that a custom tuner recommended, failed to fix the TSB that GM put out claiming they (a GMC/Chevy dealer) "can't order Pontiac parts".

I hit the little blue button in the car to [non-permissible content removed] about it - they were no help.

The dealer that the GMC/Chevy dealer recommended was "bashed" by the Forum board that I frequent, as being poor quality in its work.

I quite a worry that support for the G8 is going this way.

What brand or vehicle is next?
  • gearhedgearhed Member Posts: 26
    This is by far, the best handling and fastest car I ever owned ( out of 19 vehicles). The styling is very elegant, not overdone. The fender flares imply performance, and the engine and chassis really deliver.

I paid $25,900 with my GM Card earnings and $3500 rebates and $500 customer cash. My deal of a lifetime.

I feel very fortunate to have bought one these Pontiac GTs before they were all gone.

I also test drove a G8 GXP. It's a rocket, but I balked at the $36,000 price the dealer wanted. I will say that both the GTs and GXP are going to be collectors cars in ten years. Their refined styling, great handling and powerful engines will always be in demand.
  • cruisinloucruisinlou Member Posts: 27
    Yes it is too bad that GM chose to dump Pontiac especially when this was the line that for many years was noted as having the muscle cars.
    I had a 2007 Pontiac Solstice GT which had a 4 cylinder turbo charged engine that gave you a huge bang for the buck but without much room for overnight trips for two people it became a day tripper now the Corvette on the other hand also being a two seater gave you a large trunk so you and another could travel long distances carrying a lot of gear.
    Then I bought a 2008 Pontiac G6 converta hardtop that offered some extra room for gear but only with the top up, if you put the top down it folded up and went into the trunk where it took up 98% of the room so your gear would have to go into the back seat.
    This car was not a performance car by any means because I had the 3.5 V6 with auto and a select shift that allowed me to manually shift through 4 speeds but it was as the term goes a car that couldn't get out of it's own way.
    We now have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD for all season use and a 2003 Corvette Convert. with a 6 speed floor shift, now I feel we have the best of both worlds but I hope the Vibe will give us what we need I know that the Corvette will take care of the rest.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Though not a huge Pontiac fan, it is too bad the G8 didn't stick around. I think it was unfairly eliminated. The G6 should be killed, but the G8 to stay around. It could have easily been made into a Chevy name if Pontiac was eliminated, which is was.

Though top priority now is practicality and economics. Focus a bit more on their engine options would have put them closer to a real winner. Notice how many sedans of this size are using really sleek smaller motors to push them. They could have done this. The new Terrian uses a 4cyl engine. Not sure how it measures up. They could put a turbo 4cyl. then the G8 could have had a performance package, the lighter V6 Turbo chargedengine would give it power, Lighter, agile and economical. Would it be anything like an Audi engine? Hmmmmm...that is a whole other forum.

I just think it was bad timing, and it screamed old GM muscle, which meant poor fuel mileage, and when the economy just got punched in the face. If they delayed its arrival, and focused on its engine a bit better...then I see the a brighter outcome.

It is sad that it left, because it had major potential, not only from a practical stand point, but from a competitive stand point, but only if the above points were met! It would have stood out. Only now it stood out, but only from past image.
    GM will take years to recover from the past and improve their image to clean,green, and "PRACTICAL!"
    I bought my Silver G8 GT in Sept 2009 and it is the best handling, fastest car I EVER owned. The Pontiac dealers were willing to sell it BELOW MSRP. Plus I saved $1400 with my GM card savings, plus a $3500 incentive rebate. Out the door under $27,000.

If buyers knew how great these G8 GT's are, Pontiac could sell em by the hundreds of thousands.

My condolences to everyone who found out about these wonderful cars too late to get one.

If you can get your hands on a new GXP anywhere, buy it and put it in a garage. It is one of those rare muscle cars, destined to be worth many times what you paid for it in twenty years.

Great job, Pontiac. You did a really exceptional last car.
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    As a G8 owner I agree; but why did you post the same thing in 3 different forums?
    I am disappointed that GM would spend $millions to develope this platform and body, then discontinue it, except with the Camaro, which is like sitting in a small tank (hard to see out of it).

The four door Pontiac G8 is a perfect design of front and rear legroom, visibility, power, steering and handling. Those who have one agree.

GM needs to rebadge this car as a step up from the Malibu.
This discussion has been closed.