Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Your Hybrid Vehicle Awards

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
With about two months left in the year, it's that time when people start compiling lists or bests and worsts, so why not here?

Make your case for best hybrid of 2008, most promising newcomer, hybrid least likely to succeed, or any other category you may come up with.

It should be interesting to see what trends we come up with by year's end.

Comments

• occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I have posted several times on this board. Have two Nissan Altima Hybrids, both purchased March 08. My wife and I both love the vehicles, absolutely no complaints at all. I have 21,000 miles on mine, my wife a little over 3000 miles.
    Both vehicles getting higher mpg that indicated on the sticker. It's like driving a real car, not a "wimpy" Prius that probably can't get out of it's own way. I suppose the small trunk may turn of some potential buyers but, otherwise no complaints. Plus looking forward to two times $2350 Fed Rebate (which I believe still applies for new purchases) So my vote goes to the Altima!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Well they have to put the battery somewhere!
  • langjielangjie Member Posts: 250
    i drive the NAH and it's great. proven toyota technology packaged in a sleek nissan design. so far it has surpassed my expectations in drivability, in line with my expectations for fuel economy. just wish the battery had a bit more capacity for those really really bad traffic days
    I have a buddy who's not a CarSpace member (I'm working on him ;) ) who wants to nominate the Prius since he owns two of them!
  • imscfimscf Member Posts: 34
    Read Edmund's review of the Altima Hybrid. With the steep premium you'd have to pay for the hybrid over the comparably-equipped Altima non-hybrid, it would take years and years to recoup the extra cost, money that could be put to better use or investment. Plus some options are only available with other options. So it does not seem to be a financially-viable decision to pluck the extra $ for the hybrid. And don't forget that non-folding rear seat.
    Yep, we've had the hybrid premium discussion in many places, but we're ignoring that for the moment here and just choosing among the various hybrid offerings out there.
  • langjielangjie Member Posts: 250
    On the contrary, the Altima Hybrid is one of the fastest hybrids to recoup your money. It may be $4000 more than the non-hybrid, but a lot of people qualify for the $2350 tax credit. For me, it will take about 5 years to recoup the premium. I might not have a fold down seat or as much trunk space as a regular 2.5 Altima, but I have traction control and stability control. I think this makes it a wash, convenience for extra safety.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I nominate the Ford Escape Hybrid. My AWD gets about 30.5, and many FWD owners report 35 MPG. It is the most fuel efficient SUV on the planet, and I can stuff 35+ Cu ft of cargo back there with the rear seats up.
  • yvrcodyyvrcody Member Posts: 6
    I also nominate the Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4. I have had mine for one year. The milage I get in the summer is exactly what the government reports: 7L/100 KM. The milage is not quite as good in the winter when it is cold outside (as is the case with most hybrids), but the handling of this 4x4 in the snow more than makes up for the small loss in fuel consumption....and the heated seats make the winter commute enjoyable. Most of my driving is in the city and the FEH will run in hybrid mode for very long distances for me. When I'm out on the highway and need to pass, the electric motor kicks in with the gas engine giving extra power to pass other vehicles with confidence. I have had a lot of fun getting it muddy in the back country as well. This truck with it's "hybrid" badge is a choice over BMW and Mercedes for all those "green" socially conscious uban yuppies and yet the FEH is also just as comfortable covered in mud when out in the country, so one can have the best of both worlds....and best of all, Ford stands behind the quality...with my extra warreny everything from oil changes, wiper blade, brakes etc., are all covered for free for 5 full years. It felt great when I recently took it in for it's 1 year service at the dealership, and when they gave me the bill the total cost for the service was ZERO!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The Mazda CX-7 but with the Ford Escape hybrid system.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I nominate the Ford Escape Hybrid. My AWD gets about 30.5, and many FWD owners report 35 MPG. It is the most fuel efficient SUV on the planet

It may be the most fuel efficient Hybrid SUV on the planet. It is far from the most fuel efficient SUV. The VW Tiguan TDI sold in the EU has a combined 40MPG US. And highway rating of 44.4 MPG US. Most of the automakers sell diesel SUVs everywhere but here that will beat the hybrids hands down. I am sure Ford offers diesel SUVs that will easily top their hybrids.
    "I am sure Ford offers diesel SUVs that will easily top their hybrids. "

Not here in the states, the only Ford diesels are on the large pickups.

Are you sure that the 40 MPG wasn't Imperial gallons? What it is in L/100KM? I suspect that in US MPG it would be about 34, which is similar to the FWD FEH (though the Tiguan is AWD). That is not counting any EPA pollution equipment required for US emissions that might decrease MPG...

Also note that hypermilers are getting 38-40 MPG in the FEH, although I don't drive that way. You could attempt to make the point that this is special driving, but there is no way you could similarly drive a Tiguan diesel to 30% better than EPA MPG, no matter what tricks you might perform. I personally get about 10% over EPA on my AWD FEH.

Not to mention price. If you think $32K is high for an FEH (limited trim), try the Tiguan Diesel for 45K (base trim)!

Final note: I don't know about your area, but Diesel generally runs 75 cents to a full dollar more than regular unleaded gas here in LA.

I suspect that cost wise the FEH may come out ahead.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I suspect that in US MPG it would be about 34

NO it shows a combined 45.6 MPG Imperial. Which I calculated to 39.97 MPG US. It is the same engine in the Jetta selling in all 50 states with emissions for the upcoming EU standards. Ford has different names so not sure which is equal in size to the Escape.

Tiguan TDI
    "NO it shows a combined 45.6 MPG Imperial. Which I calculated to 39.97 MPG US. It is the same engine in the Jetta selling in all 50 states with emissions for the upcoming EU standards. Ford has different names so not sure which is equal in size to the Escape. "

Interesting. The Diesel CR-V is rated in the low 30's, IIRC. I think that is a 2.0 Liter engine.
This discussion has been closed.