Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Heating Problems

rgauthierrgauthier Member Posts: 2
No heat from the front - blower seems ok and have heat to the back

Comments

• los1los1 Member Posts: 1
    no heat blows great,a/c great but have no heater what could it be
  • mr_zappymr_zappy Member Posts: 2
    Is it a Eddie Bauer?? I got a 2000, it didn't blow heat out the defroster only, I opened the glove box, took a short length of conduit, and wedged it in to hold the outside air damper shut. It doesn't blow hot air, but it is signifficantly warmer in there now
  • mr_zappymr_zappy Member Posts: 2
    My defroster blows cold air, though I put it on floor, or panel, it does blow heat. My owners manual says it uses outside air to defrost the windows, I took a short lenght of conduit, and used it to hold the outside damper shut. The defroster blows warm air, but I would like it to be hotter. Any suggestions??
  • steeler82steeler82 Member Posts: 2
    2000 Expedition having wierd heat problems. Front and rear heat blows warm for a while at idle, then begins blowing cold while driving around. But most of the time the front and rear blow cold, even at idle. Replaced thermostat, topped off radiator with new antifreeze, heater hoses are warm – not hot, but still no heat. I have seen some postings about blend door but have not checked that yet. Any ideas? Thx
  • coopa79coopa79 Member Posts: 1
    Front air blows good and cold rear air blows like the heat is blended in with it. I took the side panels off and took the top of the heat & air box off and found nothing to be bad. Both vent doors were good and I checked the actuator and took both of them apart and no gears were bad. I watched them with them on and they did what they were suppose to do. I took them off and open and closed the vents manually and still no cold. I could stick my arm up inside the vent and feel a little cold but is not blowing on out. The evaporator is cold so it should be working but it seems like it is mixing the cold and hot together. Is there anyone that might know what it might be beside acturator. Please help me.
  • pstrebeckpstrebeck Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Expedition, every time i turn on the rear air it makes a clicking sound and hardly any air comes out of the second and third row vents
  • jsnyder70jsnyder70 Member Posts: 1
    I have a pretty good leak that is coming from the right side behind the engine, up high. Can I fix this my self.
  • zvacmanzvacman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Expedition. It blows cold for 30-50 sec. then blows hot for 10-15 sec. It repeats the cycle over and over. I charged the system tonight without any change. Any imput would be appreciated.

Zvacman
  • space_cadetspace_cadet Member Posts: 1
    I have an a/c problem on my 98 expedition. It cools when you start the car and have the fan switch set on low, if you increase fan speed or start driving you hear a thump and something closes. I was told it was my blend door motor but I have enough of the dash off to see the door open and close when you flip the switch from ac to heat. When the thumping sound is created the ac may be blowing cool and the blend door stays in the same position but now it blows hot. Can you help?
  • mpalmaccimpalmacci Member Posts: 1
    my 97 expedition blows hot air for a couple of miles. then changes to cold. The gage goes from C to H. The oil and engine light comes on and i loose all power. Could you advise me as to what needs to be replaced. I am a desperated mother who needs her "TAXI"
  • silverangel1silverangel1 Member Posts: 1
    our 98 expedition blows out hot air in front however it wont switch only blows out the def and floor at the same time, it wont switch at all, the a/c works out the panel vents and the rear heat works correctly need to know how to get it to switch correctly.
  • ktimponktimpon Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Only heat comes out of front vents whether control is on hot or cold. Rear vents work great cold or hot.
    At first the front vents would get stuck on either cold or hot even when changing climate control. However, if you changed the vent setting, it would sometimes change from cold to hot or vice versa. The repair shop replaced the blend door, said the heat was okay.Yes, the heat is okay, but now it is stuck on heat no mater what the temperature selection(hot/cold) or vent selection. Brought it back, They told me a wire was loose and all was okay....Still stuck on heat.... Brought it back and they replaced the panel control for the front vents... Still not okay.... They are supposed to ask around and get back to me. They can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions?
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Sure sounds like the blend door. Maybe they messed up the install.
  • mdv1mdv1 Member Posts: 1
    When I try to turn heat/cold dial to either extreme, a clicking noise starts inside the dash. I think it is the actuator for the heat A/C door. Any insight?
  • bradspectorbradspector Member Posts: 1
    No matter what AC button I push, air conditioning or heat comes out of window defroster vents only. Any thoughts
    that sounds like a vacuum leak. The hoses that control that run under the battery tray and are subject to corrosion.
    In the front it is the blend door itself, the axles break. In the rear it is the blend door actuator. The front is a nightmare, the dash needs to come out. There are a few aftermarket kits that allow you to go in through the back of the glove box however.
  • eplajeplaj Member Posts: 1
    Where can I find a diagram of the vaccuum lines - I have a dash indication "service engine" with codes reading vaccuum leak. I too have a problem with my front air vents coming out the defrost and would love to fix it, but I am not sure where to find them???
    Not sure on the diangram, but the usual culprit is the line that runs below the battery tray.
  • bigdndaytonbigdndayton Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    need to locale the low pressure a/c recharge port on a 99 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4x4 w/rear air and the easiest way of accessing it
  • mikelixmikelix Member Posts: 5
    Bought a new 2010 Expedition EL LTD in August 2010; the vehicle has had more than a reasonable number of quality problems that should have been caught in normal factory quality control checks. About two weeks after having the vehicle, I lifted up the front passenger side floor mat and noticed the carpet was soaking wet. After taking it to the dealer for repair, it was determined that the plastic box containing the evaporator coil behind the dashboard had a crack. The repair required major disassembly of the entire dashboard, console, plumbing into the engine compartment, and probably more that I'm better off not knowing about. The repair procedure lasted 8 days. Things seem to be working well now, but I am concerned about other problems down the road given that so much of the vehicle was taken apart and reassembled. Seems to me that some basic QC check should have picked this up.
  • hrgprohrgpro Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford Expedition XLT. My heat is coming on but not feeling it coming thru the vents nor the floor vents hot. The blend flap behind the glove compartment closes but still no heat coming thru. What do I need to do to make it come thru the vents and the floor?
    Is it coming out the defrost? If you have a vacuum leak, the default position is out of the defroster. The blend door controls temparature, but not which outlets the air is sent to. I'd suspect vac leak. The typical place for a failure is the vac lines running under the battery tray, they get corroded and fail.
  • cachanilla65cachanilla65 Member Posts: 1
    have a 2000 ford expedition eb have plenty of air front and rear but no heat car has been flushed and termostat change when blowing air in lower setting feels little warm front and back but when set it on high is just cold any ideas
    thanks
  • tselmertselmer Member Posts: 4
    My truck blows hot air but I have no control on temp. It just blows hot ain't. I can hear the actuator door slapping in a rhythmic patern. What the cause obviously thr actuator door is woo
    Raking but not staying in the fixed position the temp control is asking for. Any advise on what to replace? :confuse:
    My 2001 Exepdition has had some trouble starting when it's wet outside. Doesn't want Tim idle and warm up. You have to stay and hold the RPMS till it warms up. Once you travel a few miles it starts to idle properly and it's fine. :confuse: Any thoughts?
    That sounds like a broken blend door. Is it the rear controls or the front?
    IAC - Idle Air Control valve.
    Is this the reason she won't start and idle. Once it warms up she runs like a new truck. The part looks easy to install.
    It's in the front controls. I can here the the blend door slapping trying to either close or opening. The heat always blows hot with no temp control. The rear controls seam fine. The temp. Gauge is staying at a 1/4 never seems to be running at the right temp should be running warmer. Is this a separate problem someone said ECT Control or idle control valve HELP!
    I'm guessing at the IAC as the culprit for your idel issue and it is easy to replace so it seems like a good place to start.
    In the front the blend door axles break which leads to no control (in the back it is the blend door actuator that breaks it's gears). Two ways to fix the blend door, the Ford way which is to remove the dash and put in another plastic door. There are aftermarket kits that you go in through the back of the glove box opening with a steel door. Look up Heater Treater, I think their site is heatertreater.com. I haven't had to do one yet, but will go with the second option when the time comes.
  • jjitkajjitka Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ford Expedition. I have plenty of air front and rear but no heat. The car has been flushed, fluids replaced, new radiator hose, termostat changed ... when blowing air in lower setting feels little warm if it is above freezing outside. We thought it was the blend door, so we took out the dash and ... the blend door is fine and in the open position ... so it is not that. I am hoping that maybe a new heater and hoses will fix the problem ... since it is exposed now and hoses ... but the hoses at the parts store do not look anything like what is on the car. I haven't started this project yet ... not sure how the hoses are attached. Some of them go to a T connection and there are these aluminum/metal coupling looking things where they are attached to other hoses. HELP!