Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Routan Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wonderinginmdwonderinginmd Member Posts: 4
    Having a hard time with dealers willing to do the 0%/72months and giving deep discounts on 2009 even this late in the calendar/model year. Got a dealer who said they could do both but by the time it got to the general manager for approval it was killed. Any thoughts out there?
  • krisofseattlekrisofseattle Member Posts: 20
    When they go $10000 below the sticker for high-end model, they don't make any money - VW takes 6K hit and the dealer sells you at below the invoice,

So, either way (cash or finance), they want to be above that level. i am, however, surprised that the price stayed the same as the Spring of this year.

That shows there really is no more room....

We got ours back in April Mercury Silver SEL with that premium jazz package. My wife drives it and totally loves it. The Honda owner turn their heads, and say: Hmmm what is that? a VW? Oh man!

He he...
  • 64221306422130 Member Posts: 47
    Took delivery last night for $20550+ Tax in Ardmore PA - about $9800 off SE with no options. They have 1 more left.
  • victorspoilsvictorspoils Member Posts: 1
    Just passing along our information to the group. Did an end of year deal with McKenna VW in Huntington Beach, CA. Bought SEL with RSE, Nav and Trim Pack 3 (Sunroof, adjustable pedals, roof rails, remote start). With the exception of the roof rails, everything on our model is now standard on 2010 SEL for comparison. On the 2009, we got the $10k off MSRP ($42150 down to $32150). We were looking at a 2010 SEL at a different dealer but they wouldn't go lower than $36,800 for the 1.9%, or $35,999 for regular financing. On our 2009, we qualified for 3.99% APR through Wachovia. Other offer from them was $36650 for the 0% APR--if you calculated the true cost over 5 years it was almost equal in either scenario--I took the cash back to keep the sales tax lower (in CA it's 9.75%--ouch). Wouldn't budge on more cash off despite the New Year's Eve purchase. Happy with transaction, everything on the car so far so good. They had a decent inventory unlike many other SoCal VW dealers, but this was the only 2009 SEL with both RSE and Nav, so I think that was part of the reason they wouldn't give additional cash. My gut is if we were buying a 2009 S or SE they would have. On a side note, purchased the extended warranty to make it 7 years/70000 miles. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, I think it's a great deal. Retail price $1500 and they will discount. Happy Routan hunting!
  • blindmelonblindmelon Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone got a deal on a 09 S model?
    The lowest price I could find so far was 19999 +tax&ttl ( include alloy wheels).
    I think there should be much more discount on 09 S considering the $20500 deal on SE above.
    Any experiences?
  • abbymabbym Member Posts: 5
    Sorry for the silence, was out of town. I'm hearing they are all going at $10k under sticker at the moment for the 2009. My dealership has none left and I was an out of town purchaser; did it all over the phone. I swear to you, I think the thing that clinched it was I gave the guy my credit card number for a $500 deposit if they took my offer, which was for $25,225 plus tax and title (included dealer fee and delivery to another city a few hours away). They knew I was serious. I paid cash, but could have gotten the same deal with around 4% financing through their VW bank. If I wanted the 0%, I would have had to pay more.

The sticker was $34, 350 or something (can't remember...whatever the basic SEL plus destination charge is...33,700 + 650 or something).

There was a $400 dealer prep that they rolled into the price. The tax/title was another $2k or so.

What you have to do is Google "VW" and a city name. Then search their new inventory. That's how I found mine. It didn't come up in regular autotrader searches and such. I think the cc deposit was critical for my deal. Plus, dealer would have gotten factory to dealer $6k incentive rebate and I qualifed for $1k rebate. None of this came up in our discussion, but clearly it is how they came down almost $10k.

Good luck all!
  • rmbalisarmbalisa Member Posts: 129
    Taking an out of state delivery of a 2009 SEL with Trim Pack 3 with MSRP of $36,215, selling price is $23,215...$13K under MSRP! No local dealers want to touch this deal...best I can do locally was $10,195 under MSRP. The only thing with this out of state deal is that I need to pay for shipping to my house and a notary fee to take care of the documents.
    How much of a discount did you end up getting the service contract? And is that the VW Platinum Warranty?
  • intotheohintotheoh Member Posts: 10
    Got an offer for a 2009 SE + RSE, Remote Start , Navi, Power lift gate for 28,104+TTL. Any good? MSRP was 35,000
    definitely not. i'd shoot for at least 9-10k under msrp. there should be about $6k off 09 SE's plus $500 for RSE, then the selling at invoice pricing. You should be looking for at least $9k off
  • mlocamloca Member Posts: 15
    I am looking to potentially take advantage of some of VW's lease specials on the Routan and I want to see if my logic is flawed. They are advertising that they you can get a 2010 Routan S for $289/month with no money down. The MSRP on that car is $26,700. Is it safe to assume the same parameters on a more expensive model. For example a Premium with an MSRP of $43,300 would lease out at $468/month which I find reasonable for this car.

I feel like I should go to the sales person with a simple sheet of paper that looks like this:

$289 $468
    ------------ = ------------
    $26,700 $43,300

Is my logic flawed? Seems to be a simple way to get a basic 36 month lease with 12K miles/year.

Any insight or buying experience would be great. Otherwise I will report back based on my strategy.
  • descartesdvd1descartesdvd1 Member Posts: 15
    MSRP $34,300
    Quote is 28,200 +TTL. I am in DC/NoVa.

How does this offer sound? I would really like an sel because of the engine but can't find an 09 SEL with RSE and the 2010's are out of my price range. I have found a 2009 SEL for $33xxx and they can add one DVD drop down screen for $700 plus labor but I am losing the nav (which I really dont care about) and the back up which I do care about. However, how does the dealer installed RSE compare with factory? Thanks for any feedback.
  • ed108ed108 Member Posts: 39
    Yes your logic is somewhat flawed.

Money factor and residuals differ from model to model. The S could have a residual of 45% and MF of 0.002 while the Premium is 50% and 0.0025. Or vice versa. Or any combination. It's possible the numbers would run the same way, but not likely.

Besides why are you making an offer based on what is advertized? If they're advertizing $289, offer $249 which would make your $468 be more like $403. Start low and if you have to work up, but don't start out high with your first offer.

My wife and I test drove one about 3 weeks ago. Went back to drive it again, the mileage was the same as it was 3 weeks ago. And as we were leaving the sales rep said "you would not believe how much we're discounting these". And I said, yeah if I'm the only one to have test driven in 3 weeks I imagine you're discounting a heck of a lot.

Personally I still think even $10K off msrp is too much to pay for a Dodge with a VW badge. But my wife likes it and we'll probably end up getting it. But only if they discount the living daylights out of it.
    I am right there with you on going low. My expiring lease is an Audi Q7 which I got or more than $100 less/month than the advertized price 3 years ago.

My wife too is the one that wants the Routan. Seeing that it's a Dodge with maintenance/warranty for 3 years I assure you I don't want it in 3 years. It seems like they will give them away.

I'm going to test the waters on the negoatiating front and will post my results.

Will
    Great deal. what city/state did you get the routan from? The best I can find on an 09 SEL is $23890 without the trim pack 3. That's 10k under MSRP and they said there is no more room. Thanks
    I just test drove a SEL with RSE & NAV and they quoted me the following numbers
    MSRP: $39,300
    $2500 down (they have some matching down payment program)
    $388/month
    Net of $69.44 + $388 or $457/month
    36 month lease with 12K/year miles

Money factor of .00099
    Residual Value: 48% residual
    I think they can easily lower the price to $440/month.

Any insight into this price?

Thanks!
    I think that is a decent deal. what price did you negotiate to? I have been getting buy offers of around $4k under invoice but when lease comes up the payments go through the roof. For instance, I was offered $500/month for 3/12k for an SE w/RSE. w/ nothing down. I am intrigued by the matching down payment program. What city? thank.
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    $39K MSRP for a VW badged Chrysler Town & Country? Seems a tad high. I would consider......anything else. At least you'll have the VW signature fake plastic leather.
  • cd_mama1cd_mama1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading this thread and doing some other online research, as this is my first time leasing. The Dealer here in Bristol already tried to pull one (more like several things) over on me. I am glad I have done my research. I am looking at his only Routan on the lot, a 2010 SE w/RSE with a MSRP of $33,400. At first he tried to play coy and told me I could have my payment under $300. He "assumed" I want to put my ENTIRE trade-in ($7500) as a down payment. Uh, NO! His "deal" was lowering the Cost Cap to $32K, Residual Vaule of $16650 and a money factor of 0.0008. He also was including tax (3% for NC, where we live and are tagging the van) title, and a $399 Dealer Processing Fee into the payment. His total was $419 a month. I told him I do not want to pay interest on tax, tags or fees. He also told me there were no fees till I started asking for details then he said he forgot the dealer processing fee. I think he was backpeddeling here.

After much discussing with my husband I went back with the following offer.
    $2500 down (either from my trade-in or cash we have on hand - which is better?)
    Capital Cost of 30K
    Wave the $399 dealer fee
    making the payment $339 per month
    All taxes and tags paid upfront

What do you all think? Was I too soft? After reading some of the posts here I think I could have gone lower. No word from him yet...
  • beedadabeedada Member Posts: 3
    What do you think of following:
    2010 Routan SE w/ RSE & Nav - grey on grey
    36 mo 36k mi lease in NY/NJ area
    $1000 total due at signing (incl tax, 3 yrs NY tags, 1 mo lease payment)
    $438/mo (including tax)

I thought this was a good deal until I started reading this thread..
  • ea7576ea7576 Member Posts: 10
    Looking at 2010 VW Routan SE w/rse

$33,400 MSRP

-$4500 Dealer Cash
    -$2000 Competitive Bonus (currently lease competitor)
    -$765 Hold Back

My bottom line buy is $24,500.
    Plus $2000/tax at 7.25%
    $350 doc and tag (IL)
    OTD $26,850

3% rate for 60/mo financing. I am putting $3000 down and my payments will be right around $422/for 60 months.

Can you beat it?
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I'm looking at a SE w/ RSE. $33,400 sticker. Haven't started the process of negotiating yet - haven't even test drove it yet. Dealer has 3 models on the lot, all similarly equipped.

What are the current incentives? Is there any "loyalty" money around now? I have a Passat from the same dealer. An OTD price anywhere near ea7576's number and I'm in. Thanks for the advice.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    edited May 2010
    I just re-read your post and your numbers. It's not adding up (or actually subtracting) correctly.
    33400 - 4500 = 28900 - 2000 = 26900 - 765 = 26135

26135 x 0.0725 = 1895 + 26135 = 28030 + 350 = 28380 = OTD

Am I missing something?
    My buy is holdback less $250. I am not buying for MSRP.
    Also, each dealer has a tiered dealer cash program depending on the routan volume they have done. Bottom line, some dealers may have sold more routans so the dealer cash incentive is higher. You need to go to a volume dealer to get the best price. Remember, I also had the Odyssey bonus.
  • allthumbsdiyallthumbsdiy Member Posts: 11
    vw recently ran a $10,000 off MSRP campaign (for 2010 routan, excl "S" model) which drew in some buyers.

does anyone know the exact incentives being offered to dealers to move 2009 models?
  • jubeijubei Member Posts: 1
    I don't know how much the incentives are, but I just purchased a 2009 SEL Premium for $28K. It didn't have Nav or RSE.
  • hongdoubaohongdoubao Member Posts: 2
    Does 28k include tax? I am also looking for a 2009 model, which state are you from? Thanks!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter for a major daily newspaper is looking for someone in the market currently for a minivan or soon to be in the market. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by July 7, 2010.
  • robin27robin27 Member Posts: 10
    I'm getting a price as follows: MSRP $43,300, $9,000 discount, $24,300. Is this a deal for this car? Thanks in advance. Houston TX
  • mozartmanmozartman Member Posts: 19
    robin27,

Should it be $34,300?
    Hi all.

I bought 2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL (4.0L 6 cyl) today. Without navigation and RSE. It has 5,500 miles on odometer. Price was $22,900. After paying document fee, sales tax, license fee final price was $24,500 OTD.
    Sorry, yes it's $34,300.
  • nimitzguynimitzguy Member Posts: 4
    Bought yesterday VW Napeville, IL for $30,600 incl. destination. (no taxes/fees/etc) I took the $4000 dealer cash and not the 0% the financing. Got 3.4% for 72 months through Chase via the dealer finance guy.

Emailed 15 dealers, all but one were ~$32,000 - USAA/Zag.com (buying service) had it at $31,600. Thanks to this board I knew I could do better even though many dealers said "where'd you come up with $9000 off sticker target" like I was an idiot. Targeted $9000 off sticker and got $8800. One dealer far away offered $31,650, so I told Naperville they'd have my business if they beat that...Both far away and local VW dealerships are high-volume I believe which likely helped their incentives. "Step up / volume incentives" based on # of Routan sold/month...?

Couple of thoughts...
    -Dealer started at $33K off the bat
    - Came down to that magical $32K that everyone seemed to floor at when I showed them USAA "that number must be wrong", "impossible"
    - Once I got near the number I targeted and threatened to go North, and local dealer knew I was serious, they gave in - but they sure pulled out the tears "we won't make anything..."
    - They increased the trade-in price above KBB twice just through a little pressure

I traded an '03 Odyssey. Routan will likely depreciate faster, but I more than made up for that gap in price (feature versus feature) against the 2010 Odyssey and 2011 Sienna. Both are great cares, but the Routan SEL is loaded - the 2010 Odyssey ES-L with RES & NAV is being cleared at ~$32K and the Routan SEL has many more standard features. The Sienna is a stratosphere higher in price and not even comparable. From a value perspective, Routon rules right now...Didn't pursue Chrysler as I think VW is more stylish and long-term the nameplate will help resale.

Good luck all and thanks again to this forum for helping me make a great purchase. Maybe could have done better - but feel satisfied overall...
    Thanks very much for the info.
  • cheapdad000cheapdad000 Member Posts: 33
    Apologies for the long winded post.

Just finished a whirlwind 24 hrs and am now the proud owner of a 2010 Routan SE w/RSE (now just need to explain to my wife how to work all the electronic gizmos). Had been looking at T&Cs and Caravan's to replace our 2008 Odyssey, then found that the Routan was a clone and that there were great deals to be had on it, so went that direction (plus I like the look of the Routan better). Was looking to spend no more than $25K for the SE. Spent the weekend at carmax/auction direct trying to find a gently used one - no real success there.

Started off investigating pricing using the USAA/Zag.com buying service (shamelessly stolen from nimitzguy above - many thanks). I was looking for the SE model (and then was going to install headrest DVD players myself). USAA car buying service showed target price of 23211 for SE and ~25K for the SE w/RSE. I'm in NC. Dealers were 200+ miles away - not too excited about making the drive, but worth it to save a few $s. Signing up for it and having them send me the price certificates revealed the names of the actual dealers.

Meanwhile I started sending quote requests from the VW website to dealers in my state and bordering states (Donkeypunch method from the Odyssey pricing thread) to open the dialogue. Lowest initial reply was $24.1K + ttl for the SE from LeithVW in Apex, NC.

I decided to start negotiating with the USAA dealers directly, one of them VW of Waldorf, MD had an even lower price posted on their website. $21,482 + 800 freight for an SE. Had the dealer mark up OTD pricing based on that price. Luckily the state of MD limits the dealer fee to a max of $100. OTD price was confirmed @$23,150 for the SE and $25210 for the SE w/RSE.

This became the new price to counter the offers garnered from the donkeypunch method. Was rather dejected that the 5 or so VW dealers I sent the pricing to told me to take the deal in MD because there was no way they could come close (I guess they hadn't moved enough Routans this month/quarter). Finally @4:30 received confirmation from Southern States VW in Raleigh that they could meet the MD price. Unfortunately, they did not have our first choice in color combinations. As they were the only ones close we headed off to buy our 2nd choice color from them.

While enroute, we received a call from Southern States VW in Durham (who I had not heard from all day long up to that point). Told them I was driving to their Raleigh branch to buy a car. He offered to earn my business by beating their price (and most importantly had my first choice color in stock). So we went and bought the vehicle from them.

2010 Routan SE w/RSE $25,000 OTD.

Vehicle $23,769
    Tax (3%) 713
    Tags 74
    Dealer fee 444
    OTD Total $25,000

Having them match the OTD price (as opposed to just the vehicle price) from MD saved me a few hundred $'s because of MD's low dealer fee - the NC dealer had to further discount the price of the vehicle to make up for their typical $400+ fee.
    cheapdad000,

Can you share with us the reason why you replace your 2008 Odyssey? Every automotive web site says that Odyssey is the queen (or king) of minivans. I am just curious.

Thanks.
  • cheapdad000cheapdad000 Member Posts: 33
    Mozart,
    Here are a few of the reasons:

- Odyssey is ubiquitous in my area. One parked in every driveway in my neighborhood, there is enough homogeneity here to not have everyone have the same car.

- Originally bought the Odyssey for the capability to seat 8, amongst other reasons (rarely used the 2nd row middle seat as anything other than a step for the kids to get to the back).

- VCM engine did not return the kind of mileage we had expected - average was 18-19 in daily driving which was mostly suburban/hwy, rarely any city driving. Big disappointment there.

- Transmission was starting to make some unsmooth shifts. Took to dealer a few times, they complained they couldn't replicate issue, etc. Problem didnt get any better after they fixed the transmission and brake recalls. Given the transmission problems of the previous generation, didnt want to have to deal with it.

- Odyssey held its value extremely well so my depreciation costs of owning it for 30 months I did were $100/month. If it had lost more value, I would have held onto it longer until the powertrain warranty was up.

- With 3 kids DVD player was becoming more of a need for my wife's sanity. The strap onto the seat ones were OK, but left lots of loose parts to break/get lost/etc.

- I plan on maintaining my own vehicles (tuneups, fluid changes, etc.). Had so many problems getting to anything attached to the engine in my old van (not the Odyssey) that I had sworn off vans from now on. However the front shape of the T&C/Caravan/Routan is almost like a car/truck. I can get to all the spark plugs/O2 sensors without having to tear the engine apart. [The no cost maintenance with the Routan is a nice treat as well].
  • 1stminivan11stminivan1 Member Posts: 2
    Best quote I got for 2010 SE w/RSE+NAV: $24600 +TTL

I am in San Francisco Bay Area.

Trying to decide between this and Odyssey EX-L(best quote so far: $28600 + TTL)

Any comments?
    We bought a 2010 Routan SEL Prem w/RSE & NAV, 4.0 for $29,000 incl TTL, Houston TX. We've only had it for a month, but seems like it will be a pretty good vehicle. It was between this and the Oddessy for us also. My husband liked the VW better. The RSE is great, NAV is great, gas mileage in city is about 14. If you need a car seat in the back, be aware that the D rings are smack in the middle of the 3rd row seating, making not the ideal fit for an adult in the back, but it does seat 7. The power doors and back lift are wonderful. I believe the Oddessy has a little more room on the inside (?) so I would take a hard look at it. If the DVD players are down, you're going to hit your head getting around in the vehicle. Storage in the back with all rows up is a winner. Twelve bags of groceries.
  • paherrpaherr Member Posts: 1
    $29K that included TT&L for an SEL Premium? So that was your OTD price? That's a real good deal! Do you mind sharing how you negotiated that? I'm in the process of finalizing a deal on a SEL with NAV & RSE, but haven't gotten a quote below $30K before TT&L.
  • wang3wang3 Member Posts: 1
    Get a 2010 Routan SE w/RSE MSRP: &33400
    OTD &25K
    RATE: 2.9%APR 36 month
    North Virginea
  • ap7ap7 Member Posts: 9
    Struggling with a deal in Los Angeles.
    Best I have so far on an SE is 0% over 72, $31500 OTD, or $26019 if I take the cash back. On the SE with RSE with 0% over 72 months, $33434 OTD, or $27947 with the cash rebate. Any LA folks done better? Any ideas??
    Thanks..
  • edward1106edward1106 Member Posts: 2
    My dealer tried to sell me the 7 VW extended warranty for the 2010 Routan.
    7 years/ 70000 miles cost $1400. Is it worth to buy it? Has any one buy extended warranty from VW?
  • search4carsearch4car Member Posts: 30
    I also posted in Lease, but realized this part of the question should be here. How much dealer/consumer cash back is there in Nov?
  • edward1106edward1106 Member Posts: 2
    Should be $5000 cash back
  • search4carsearch4car Member Posts: 30
    Edward - can you confirm there is still 5k D in November?

Also on another topic. Is the inventory of Routans going down? Have they stopped making them? What's the story>
  • karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    I'm not Edward, but I was looking at the Routan at the dealer last night and it's either $5,000 or you can get 0% for 72 months. Currently trying to see how low they will go with the 0% for SE or SEL. Last night without haggle the guy went right to invoice for the SE w/ RSE. Checking around with other dealers today....hoping to get a great deal on a SEL but may have to settle for the SE :(
  • kjdiscusskjdiscuss Member Posts: 5
    Just bought an SEL (No RES) for 29,400 plus tax, title, etc. Got 2.59% for 60 months. As I was closing it, I got an email from another dealer offering to take $500 off that, but was too far along to turn back. So I'd say you can get under 29K for an SEL.

Great van. Happy with the price and the van. Started by looking at Honda and Toyota but realized I could get the same features for probably 5K less. Seems like a no brainer. The MyGig radio navigation is quite spectacular. Much better than Hondas.
  • karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    Buying an SE w/RSE and touch screen radio this week. Total of $10,000 off sticker so $23,400 which is $25,052 OTD. Only thing I might regret is not getting the 4.0 engine, but having the features were more important to us and the lower price. I'm in a minivan, I don't need to be fast I guess...just hope I'm on the higher end of the mpg I have seen posted for the SE's.

$10K off sticker was found at one dealer out-of-state in Ohio. Emailed 4 dealers in Michigan and 3 of them said enjoy your drive to Ohio, not sure how they are selling them that low. Dealer in Lansing agreed to the price and said if they sell 10 Routans by the end of year they will get a kick-back, so they were rolling the dice. Not sure how much of that was sales BS or not, but I am glad I only have to drive 45mins and not 5hrs to get the Routan. Hopefully my first and last minivan!