Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Routan Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It was just a response to the other member on comparing quality/reliability.

Heck... Chrysler practically invented the minivan.. I sure can't imagine VW re-badging an Asian competitor's van... :surprise:

I think they did a nice job with it. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• krisofseattlekrisofseattle Member Posts: 20
    i read plenty of people who don't like routan - but these people i bet never drove one, or even seen a real one.

i don't care.

to me, it's only a van and my wife drives it mostly.

Can i drive a Volkswagen for a change and not have these VW purist calling it basically a fake?

i guess not - a protestant in a catholic church?.... just not "pure" enough.
    this topic maybe covered elsewhere...

i just noticed the steering column is not aligned with the dash board. So, the steering wheel seems (even though it's not) off-center because it is aligned to the column.

Does anyone else have this situation?

it may be a simple adjustment under the dash.
    It's minor, but it still bothers a precision engineer like me.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    ok, I didn't think I was going to say this but I will... I like the Routan and I wasn't bashing it. I was bashing YOU, mr. ENGINEER.
    A Routan is an AMERICAN van with upgraded interior parts and suspension parts by the GERMAN. From the drivetrains to the chassis, it's all AMERICAN.
    How many vans in the American market are built 100% in Japan and Germany? A Dodge Sprinter is 100% German. A Nissan Cube (a mini minivan) is all Japanese. A Mazda 5 is all Japanese...
    "I was bashing YOU, mr. ENGINEER."

i consider personal attacks to be inappropriate behavior in this forum.

Hope this helps.

"A Routan is an AMERICAN van"

i think the engineers at Volkswagen would disagree with you.
    i don't know why it is so hard for some people get a simple idea -

--- designed by Germans and built by Americans ----

is that so hard to grasp?
    it's not worth it for me to argue the obvious facts.
    i could just as easily had gotten a Chrysler, Honda or Toyota.

i just like Volkswagen, OK? i am a baby boomer, nostalgia of the 70's, even if it is controversial...
  • jjho72jjho72 Member Posts: 5
    --- designed by Germans and built by Americans ----

hmmm... isn't it more like

--- designed by Americans and built by Canadians (Windsor, Ontario) ----

If you open up the hood you'll see a Chrysler logo. I have a Routan and I think it's a great van. Besides the grill, suspension and interior it's a Chrysler Town&Country. It's like saying Dodge Grand Caravan and Town&Country are completely different vans.
    I'm not saying badge engineering is anything bad. If you look Japanese imports they do it all the time. Toyota Highlander = Lexus RX, Honda Pilot = Acura MDX. But let's not get carried away and think that this van was actually designed from VW.
  • rio_rio_ Member Posts: 7
    Jatmobile...sorry for the late reply...just got back from 3wks in Brasil

I bought the SEL with RSE in early May.
    I paid $27.6K before tax and registration.
    There was a $1500 discount for RSE and $500 for owner loyalty as well as the $6K cash from VW that I took in lieu of the 0% financing cuz I financed through my CU at 4.99% for 72 months which has a lower NPV than the 0% financing offer.

I tried negotiating some of the "hold back" but that discussion wasn't going anywhere fast.

Cheers ~ Rio
    Hi rio,

What color did you get? How do you like the RSE?

Kris of Seattle (Q)
  • cdb2017cdb2017 Member Posts: 11
    2009 Silver Routan SEL
    Package 3
    RSE

Asked for and received as part of deal second two sets of ear phones and second remote (hey, room for 5 in the back most of them should have head phones, right?).

Very no-hassle deal.

MSRP 39,3k
    Trade: 2004 Chrysler Pacifica priced by Volvomax on "Real World Tade in Value" forum at 4-5k

Out the door price including tax (8% here, ouch), dealer fees (if any -- I don't really care), DMV (at $165 but will be refunded difference if there is any) -- etc. etc. etc -- of 26k even.

Net was 13.3k off list -- maybe 5k of which was Pacifica (which means real discount was 8.3k off list).
  • bwoolery001bwoolery001 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a new 2009 Red Routan SEL, with RSE & Navigation

Paid $500 less than invoice, plus got the $3,500 cash incentive, AND used their special rate financing (was better deal than taking $7k and using my credit-union financing). Add 3% tax, $55 tags, $459 doc fee. Got $3k for my 2003 Mazda MPV w/ 145k miles, a cracked windshield in 2 places, scratches all around, an indention in the rear liftgate and a front bumper with a hole in it (don't ask). I thought that was great, and more than KBB for that condition, actually. Here's the breakdown:

Invoice $37,037
    Discount ($500)
    Incentive ($3,500)
    Trade ($3,000)
    Net Cost $30,037
    3% tax $901.11
    Tags $55
    Doc fee $459
    OTD price $31,452.11 with 0.5% for 72 months

What do you think?
    Did you get cash incentive PLUS a 72mos financing?
    What was incentive if you paid cash?

it was $6,000 couple months ago, if you paid cash in full.
    and $2,000 if financed it.
    Yes, I got the cash incentive PLUS 72 month financing. Not all dealers were offering 72 months, some either weren't aware or were but would only offer 66 months. If using their financing, incentive was $3,500 ($2k from VW, plus add'l $1.5k if purchasing RSE). If not using their financing, was $7,500 ($6k from VW, plus add'l $1.5k if purchasing RSE). I think the incentives are scheduled to end on June 30, if I'm not mistaken.
    Basically you got it 500 below dealer invoice - all other discounts being a part of VW promotions.

i would say it's pretty good deal.

Red one, huh? i love that color! we ended up with a Silver. Those are the best colors i think. We considered blue, but we thought we would get tired of it after a while and blue can look bad when it the shine goes away.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I could be wrong, but I think the dealers that offer extended financing (longer than what VWOA advertises), are the dealers that don't participate in the regional advertising association.

In my local area, there are five VW dealers... Four of the dealers sometimes run a general VW ad, touting 66 months for Routans, etc... But, the other dealer isn't included in those ads..

That dealer runs their own ad... with 72 month financing.. I'm assuming they can do this by using what they would spend on the regional advertising association to buy the extra months on the rate from VW Finance...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• reeves76reeves76 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased Routan SEL with Navigation. It's a demo car (I think) with almost 300 miles on it when we drove out. Black and Grey leather inside.
    Cash price is $26400
    Plus sales tax and fees , $28,850 OTD.

Like the nav&satellite radio&backup camera a lot so far. 4L engine is very powerful.
    Did you get the RSE with that, as well, for that price?
  • reeves76reeves76 Member Posts: 2
    NO, only navigation system. no RSE.
    i think that was a decent price at about 10K off the list price. they usually don't give you much more discount for having few hundred miles on it, especially when it is already deeply discounted.

Yes, the going price for SEL is 10K off list.
    SE is 9K off list.
    S is 8K off list.

Black looked really cool, we got a silver because we are laze :)
    We liked the sky blue at first, but changed our mind.

The trend seems to be black, white or metallic (not crayon colors)
  • jesskewljesskewl Member Posts: 3
    2009 Routan SEL with RES & Trim 3 package in Black

msrp 39,400 ~(7,000) off

purchased for 32400 plus got the additional 0% for 72m.
  • irishctirishct Member Posts: 2
    How did you manage the cash discount and get the 0% financing? In the quotes I have received, it seems to be the cash or the 0%.
  • jesskewljesskewl Member Posts: 3
    Well your correct in that aspect because the car was in their newspaper ad as 9000 off msrp and in the corner of their ad was posted all routans 0% for 72 months. Pretty much we just told them it was false advertising and after much back and forth they relented with 7000 off plus the 0 percent which we couldnt pass up. Believe me we walked out of there that night only to have them call us back. We just kept on telling them we are going to Honda and they miraculously came up with the right numbers afterall and I think did see the error in the way they presented the situation. After that it was all kissing are [non-permissible content removed] to get the "all 10's" on their survey.
  • dave253dave253 Member Posts: 1
    We just got an out the door price of $33350 with 0% on a SEL with RES and an extra set of headphones or they offered us 30350 cash.

While not a door buster the price seemed reasonable, considering it is a dealer trade.
  • tylerwkutylerwku Member Posts: 13
    Should I go for the true market value if I am wanting the 0% for 72 months? Many dealers do not take much off the MSRP if you take the special financing, but I know these are different times we live in today. I am wanting the Routan SE with the Rear Enterntainmnet Package. MSRP 32,700 with 1500 cash back and 0% offer (TMV is $25,576 with the 1,500 rebate for the REP). How should I start out? Any help would be great! Is it realistic that I can get it down that low?
  • jjomalleyjjomalley Member Posts: 9
    We got quotes for an SEL Premium Nav RSE. Basically $10K off the MSRP but not with 0%. If I went with 0%, then it came out to around $2300 under invoice.

MSRP: $44,500
    Invoice $41,233
    Price: $34,500 w/o 0% - rate was 6%
    Price: $38,000 w/ 0% 72 mos.

I'm probably going to go with the 0%.
    Was the $38,000 Out the Door tax and everything? I an trying to see how far under the invoice I can go with the 0% for 72.

Thanks for the help!
  • jjomalleyjjomalley Member Posts: 9
    No. Taxes and such were not included.

If you can get outside financing and walk in with a check, you should be able to get the $10K off.
  • dmiller21dmiller21 Member Posts: 2
    I am going to look at the Routan S tomorrow. I spoke with the manager on a internet special price of 14750 after all rebates. The MSRP is 25840, the dealer has a special price of 19250 and then with the Clunker trade they show a final price of 14750. I have a clunker trade, but the trade gets 16mpg and the Routan only gets 18mpg, so that number might end up being 15750, due to only 3500 for the clunker. They are also going to give me 4.49% financing for 72 months. All sounds great, but I would love to hear from memebrs of this forum. Thanks
  • abbymabbym Member Posts: 5
    I got a Routan SEL w/o any extras last week. MSRP was 33890 (plus destination??? this $750 never came up and I was not billed for it). I got 3500 CFC and 7500 off. My total off MSRP was 11,000. Then, of course, tax, tag, etc. I figure the dealer still made about $2300 (between invoice and MSRP).
    Here is the deal. I was rejected for this offer of 30,000 with a 3,000 customer cash rebate for a price of 27,000 for a Routan SE with RSE and it had the trim 2 package and the climate package, which I could care less for also. According to Edmunds the Invoice price is 32,686, so I believe I made them a reasonable offer? I see others getting much lower than invoice than what I am asking! I am requesting the 72 months O% apr, but maybe I should not mention this until the very end. Any suggestions? I am going to try another dealership tomorrow. The dealer said that with the cash for clunkers program that they have been booming, but I don't think the Volkswagens Routans are moving that fast...
  • wojo2000wojo2000 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased today SEL bare bones, the dealer's "no haggle" offer was $4500 under List Price or $31,323-$4,500=$26,823 or about +$529 over the Edmunds fair market value price of $26,294, and at least $1000 more than the nifty deals reported by Posts 60, 68, and 81. I was OTD at $24710 with $3500 clunker deal on a 98 Grd Voyager and I had a $500 off coupon. We had fun looking at new cars for the clunker program, but with somewhat unhappy ending because the VW dealer would not give us the prices noted here. No decent financing offered at this price point. Clunkers did not save us too much, already having a Prius, decided to keep one full-size minivan.
    I think your $500 coupon got you a better deal than my price. My OTD was 25150. That "list" of 31,323 is invoice, I think. The window sticker on my was def 33890. Congratulations! Now I'm feeling annoyed b/c even when I finished my deal, I knew I could've gotten him to come down more. Still, he did have to transport it to me. Oh, well. :)

As a side note, I believe we got the 7500 b/c there is apparently a 6000 factory to dealer incentive and a 1500 customer rebate. If I'd taken their 0% financing for up to 72 months (what a deal!), I couldn't have gotten that amount off. I had my own financing.
  • wojo2000wojo2000 Member Posts: 2
    Hey #81 aka AbbyM - Thanks for your OTD price! I knew I had a chance to beat you on OTD because my state only has 3% sales tax, so maybe you still did a bit better. But maybe I was not so awful on my deal. We get sales tax back this year as a tax credit, am I right? BTW, I think #80's clunker deal is doable if he has a clunker at 17 MPG or less (and is what I really wanted to so myself) but you and I needed the 20 MPG SEL to qualify.
  • lsufan1971lsufan1971 Member Posts: 3
    My local dealer has a Slightly used (16K miles) SEL Premium fully loaded RSE, Navigation, sunroof etc. I haven't been in to talk to them yet. Of course they quote the MSRP on the website of 33,950 but what would be a realistic price on this one with all of the rebates on a new?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Figure new it would be about 8500 off list. Since it has 15k miles I wouldn't touch it. They won't discount it enough to warrant buying. And it could have problems. Go to autobragblog.com and search for routan prices. Big discounts. Use it to get a dealer match.
  • rhapsodistrhapsodist Member Posts: 3
    Last week I purchased Black Routan SE RSE with Trim Pack 2 and Climate Package. The MSRP was $35,880. Dealer gave me a $10,000 discount. So my out the door price was $25,880 +TTL. I traded in my 07 Passat, so I just paid the difference amount. I tried the 0% with the $10K but the dealership said, you can have one or the other. I think I got a pretty decent deal. Thoughts?

:)
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Nice van -- great deal. Just don't be trading for 6/7 years. Why would you anyway. Gets you where you are going --- free maintenence too. After the 3 years -- keep your eye out for oil change deals at the chrysler dealers -- $20-25 max with coupons. You can ask vw to match if you want.
  • kt911kt911 Member Posts: 2
    After 2 months of research on the final choices of Odyssey & Routan, I have chosen the Routan for the look, handling and price. I have been to most of the dealers from east bay to south bay, and got different treatments from each of them. The worst is Daly City, the good one is Capitol VW in San Jose and the Best one is Sunnyvale VW. The whole team is friendly and professional, I would highly recommend this dealership and the Internet Sales Manager of Sunnyvale VW, he's one of the best internet sales manager I have ever spoken with and the bottom line is "He got me a really good deal on my Routan SEL w/pkg#3". Stop by and speak to him and compare your quote from others, I'm sure his team will work something out with you.
  • 64221306422130 Member Posts: 47
    what would be a grat price using 1.9 financing for a base s model?
  • tipoytmtipoytm Member Posts: 4
    We also purchsed our new SEL (base w/ dealer installed RSE single LCD package). Basically came out w/ $10K off MSRP and a decent trade-in with our 3-year old crossover/suv. I believe ours was the last one in stock SEL (they practically gave away the dealer-installed RSE, I had only to add about a hundred bucks on top of the sticker price for it). I like Sunnyvale cuz they were straightforward no-BS dealership, I dealt with their Internet manager who was friendly and accomodating.

I recently received an email from Roseville VW, they have about 9 SELs on stock, mostly loaded w/ RSE and/or Nav. They are advertising $10K off on all remaining Routans. Also learned that the factory-installed RSE package has an additional dealer incentive of $1,500. So if you are in the market for a Routan and in central/northern California, I suggest buying one right now. It should be easy to haggle $11.5K off MSRP on SEL Routans w/ RSE package. But check with Sunnyvale first, they might have more S/SE trims.
  • zerolastzerolast Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a 2009 Routan SEL for $24853 + tax/title at Hatfield VW in Columbus, OH. Was trying to decide between Honda Odyssey EX-L and Routan. Wife wanted the Routan. Price is $700 under Edmund's TMV and $9500 off MSRP. Happy with the vehicle so far and the transaction was first-class. Also got a 4.02% rate for 72 months (top tier credit). Usually go with Honda or Volvo, but will give this a try. Just traded in the XC90 as it was too small even for our older kids. Like the 36 months of free service. If you can beat this deal more power to you. Good Luck All.
  • troy23troy23 Member Posts: 3
    What all was on your SEL? Any extras like RSE, NAV, or pkg 3?
    It was a base model SEL. No extras. Hope this helps.
  • troy23troy23 Member Posts: 3
    After a nationwide negotiation with multiple dealers, I think I've come to the end of the line and am ready to pull the trigger on our new Routan. The Routan in question is a 2009 Routan SEL with factory NAV and installed two screen Rear Seat Entertainment.
    Price is $33,400 + tax, tag, title with 0% 72mo financing. If I went without the financing they would have taken an additional $4500 off but the financing works out to be a better deal as we are planning on keeping this van for a long time. The best deals will be had before the end of this month, so if you are thinking about buying, now is the time. Good luck and happy negotiating!
  • rainingdayrainingday Member Posts: 6
    Does you price 24853 includes dealer fees? Thanks.
    24853 +tax/title.
    I just paid $25,225 + tax/title (no dealer fee) for a base model SEL 2009. I would have loved to find an RSE but none around in the color I wanted.
  • wonderinginmdwonderinginmd Member Posts: 4
    Hi abbym,

Great price! I am working with a dealership in Md that offered $30k on a $40k 2009 SEL Routan. I walked away. Found on Edmunds they are listing it for 28k. How were you able to work it down to $25k with your dealer? I would love to get if for the same price. Want to buy tomorrow to take advantage of the tax credit!

Thanks,
    Tom
    Laurel, Md
  • rmbalisarmbalisa Member Posts: 129
    zero and abby...at what dealership did you get your routans at? do you have the breakdown of your purchase? such as the msrp, the selling price and the incentives that were included (consumer/dealer cash)?