Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    joecarojoecaro Member Posts: 44
    From your explanation in post 54, I don't think you are calculating mileage correctly. It's not how far you can go on a nominal tank of gas (well indirectly I guess it is.) Let me explain. Fill your tank. Note the miles. Drive around (the farther you go the more accurate you will be). Fill again. Note the exact amount of gas it takes to fill. Note your miles at this point. Subtract your earlier mileage reading giving you the number of miles since the last fill. Divide the number of miles you got by the number of gallons it took to fill. Wallah- your mileage. Do this a few times to get a consistent figure. The number of gallons your tank holds has no bearing on the mileage per gallon. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    joecara is correct on how to calculate mileage. I kind of suspected this was how you were doing it when you reported your low gas mileage. It is a common error. You divide the miles between fill ups with the amount you actually put in the tank, not the amount the tank will hold.

I'll look for your e-mail and get back to you on the capacity issue.
  • Options
    savana19savana19 Member Posts: 9
    Just joking!! (but I really am not blonde),

I just wanted to let you guys know that I am calculating the mileage exactly as Joe described.
    I learned how to do it when I was 16 and got my first car ( and that was over 20 years ago!! )
    But the reason I was also mentioning the miles on a tank, as alot of people do, because I am not able to go very far on a 14 gallon tank of gas. I used to have a Honda Accord and I was able to go 355 on a 14 gallon tank, so this was a real shock!! I just wanted to let you know this so you didn't think I was a complete idiot!! ha ha

Thanks,

Savana
  • Options
    rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    Folks - I had a '91 4runner until 12/31/99 when I bought a 2000 4Rnr. The '91 absolutely positively has a gas tank size of about 14 gallons (I think it is ~14.5 to be exact). The mileage you are reporting is ridiculous. When I traded my '91 with 104,000 miles (V-6, 4x4), I was getting 17mpg around town and 20.5 on pure highway driving. I would suggest there is some other problem affecting your mileage.

By the way Cliffy - This is my 3rd consecutive Toyota and no one from Toyota has mentioned a "loyalty" rebate to me by mail or phone!! Why Not? Am I too late to get a retro-loyalty rebate on my last purchase??

RBell2
  • Options
    savana19savana19 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much for confirming the fact that it is approx. a 14 gallon--- I started to wonder if I was losing it!!!
    Did you have an automatic V-6 also. Because that is the mileage I am getting and a full tune up has been done 6 months ago. I thought about checking the oxygen sensor and maybe just trying t add a gas treatment(which I have never done before) I would really like to hear back from you regarding the auto.--V-6 question. Thanks.

SAVANA
  • Options
    From time to time, Toyota runs loyalty rebates. The last one they ran was in August and I can't remember the last time we had one. I think it was a good two years ago. The August program would have needed to be submitted by the end of September so I am afraid it is too late.

If it makes you feel any better, I've owned Toyotas since '87 and buy new cars every two to three years and I haven't been able to time it to take advantage of the loyalty programs myself.
  • Options
    That reminds me: A blond was standing next to her car, her hads on her hips looking perplexed. Her blond friend comes up and asks her what the problem was. "I've got a flat tire and am trying to figure what to do next." Whereupon she gets on her hands and knees, puts her mouth to the exhaust pipe, and blows. "You idiot, that'll never work!" her friend cries. "Why not?" "You forgot to roll up the windows, you dummy."

Ba da boom.
  • Options
    Since there have been a few gripes about fuel gauges I checked it out with Toyota and a dealer who daid there is a fix. I gave the service manager my vin, and he called back to say I am eligible for a fix, and scheduled it for next monday. The NHTSA bulletin I posted before is an old one. Toyota has issued a newer one (not on the NHTSA web site) addressing the fuel gauge issue. I called around, and most dealers had not heard of it. Only South Bay Toyota, in Gardena took the time to check it out and get back to me.
  • Options
    lbasconeslbascones Member Posts: 1
    Can this be? Will Toyota really not make the 4Runner with a man. trans. any more? I've been in love with the 4Runner for over 12 years now, but I would not buy it with an auto trans. (personal preference). I was getting close to the point in my life where I can afford a 4Runner, and it seems like I'm hosed now. I looked for a basic 2000 SR5, but they come so loaded with stuff I don't care about that they end up out of my range.. This is so depressing.. The only truck I want, and it won't come with a stick anymore...
  • Options
    redfd15redfd15 Member Posts: 4
    I'm going to buy a new '01 4Runner Limited or an '01 Montero Sport Limited ( 4x4 ). Is the extra 5 grand or so worth it over the Montero, especially with Mitsu's financing deals? Please help. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    bgm2bgm2 Member Posts: 15
    Does anybody know where I can get details on the 2002 4Runner? I know it will be re-designed after the '01 but I don't know if there is any info out there about it at this point?
  • Options
    My '91 4Runner was an automatic, V-6, 4x4.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    4runlove4runlove Member Posts: 1
    Why do you need a limited? The SR5 is pretty nice and I'd still take a SR5 over just about anything else (including the limited models). Don't forget the Mitsu looks like a bastardized version of the Batmobile (U-G-L-Y) and Mistu's failure to report thousands of consumer complaints. Never buy a car from a company with a propensity to LIE :D Of course, that's just me.
  • Options
    jayt2jayt2 Member Posts: 2
    I just moved to San Fran with a '99 4Runner. I expected to get worse mileage in the city than I did in downtown Boston where I lived previously, but I've been getting less than 10mpg. I'm not a leadfoot, I coast downhill, and I don't drive at peak times. Is this ridiculous, or what? I figure I should be getting at least 14mpg. Anyone else live in San Fran? What kind of mileage do you get? Thanks.
  • Options
    jayt2jayt2 Member Posts: 2
    I just moved to San Fran with a '99 4Runner. I expected to get worse mileage in the city than I did in downtown Boston where I lived previously, but I've been getting less than 10mpg. I'm not a leadfoot, I coast downhill, and I don't drive at peak times. Is this ridiculous, or what? I figure I should be getting at least 14mpg. Anyone else live in San Fran? What kind of mileage do you get? Thanks.
  • Options
    avonohioavonohio Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 1997 4Runner Limited 38,000 miles that a friend of mine is turning in off a lease. He has kept this SUV over maintained by the dealer so it is a well maintained. The price is $22,000... Any opinion regarding the price and that year of 4Runner ???
  • Options
    tigger2tigger2 Member Posts: 4
    The brochure for my 2001 4WD 4runner says there is a stop/tail light bulb failure indicator, yet the manual makes no reference to this. Any 4runner gurus out there with an explanation?

BTW, nice vehicle. I did not know this going into the deal, but all 4WD 2001s come with the multi-mode, VSC and traction control.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'd look hard at the Isuzu Trooper S. Brand new they can be had for $22-$23K, 10/120K warranty 3/50K bumper to bumper. Toyotas are good, but I've always been burned with used cars.

-mike
  • Options
    casloncaslon Member Posts: 3
    The most gas I can put into my 2000 4-runner's tank is 15.5 gallons, and that is even after the empty light has been on a while. I took it to my dealer and they said that there was a fix for it, and it takes a whole day. They are going to have to drop the tank out of it to fix it. They say they are ordering parts now. Sounds serious. Has anyone else has this done? Thanks.
  • Options
    tigger2tigger2 Member Posts: 4
    My 2001 4WD SR5 rides a bit too stiff for my taste and needs. Any ideas on how to soften the ride yet keep decent handling? My 265/70R16s are inflated at the recommended 32 psi.
  • Options
    covocovo Member Posts: 8
    Don't fret, you probably have got one of the lemons that most 2000 Toyota 4runner owners have in which gas mileage is usually less than 10 mpg and you can only get 12 gallons in the tank at best..It's a known bug, NHTSA is aware. Push Toyota, I know they are being replaced and refunded if the lemon laws are covered and they have no where to run once they have to face the music.

When your not honest with the customer that's what happens.
  • Options
    Read my post of message 76, it is alot more seriuos than most people know or Toyota wants them to know..
  • Options
    It's a fuel gauge replacement, nothing more. It has nothing to do with your mileage or the actual number of gallons your tank holds. The gauge indicates more fuel used than is actually used. You still get 18 gallons in the tank, and your gas mileage is usually whatever you deserve depending on your driving habits. I have the same problem and had no trouble with Toyota looking at it, ordering the parts, and scheduling me to come in next Tues for repairs. I simply used my trip odometer to estimate how much fuel I used and filled up accordingly. Incidently, I have been getting between 20 and 23 mpg on a 1999 4wd SR5. Runs great. I go 350+ miles before filling up (although I never actually pumped 18 galons into her.) Hmmm.
  • Options
    kozarkozar Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know what was the last year that the 4Runner had those low seats?
    My roommate has a '95 SR5 and it is so annoying to ride in with the extremely low seats.
  • Options
    It ain't just a fuel guage replacement my friend. They replaced mine, as they told me I was the first in the states to get one, which I seriously doubt. Problem has plagued many 4runners, check the many reponces on NHTSA page. I know in my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee which was a V8 I used to get about 350 miles to the tank. I am lucky now if I get 180 and my driving habits have not changed. Even Toyota says it is wrong, that's why they have been buying em back when people are fed up with deception from them.
    I agree the fuel guage may actually show more than used but that is still not a solve all answer. How can I get 18 gallons to my tank when I personally saw them drain it dry and then fill it up and it only held 13...Hum...If my driving habits are bad then so is the guys at Toyota, they all admit the same problem. Toyota tried replacing my parts and it still was no good, and really it got worse. Now after squeezing every penny into the tank, which is not how you are supposed to do it, and drive 10 miles, according to my odometer, I am sitting on 3/4 tank. Something else wrong, I don't know but it's not my problem and the boys at Toyota can't figure it out here, so I was left with no other alternative. If you get 20 - 23 mpg congrats, I can't do it nor can anyone else who drives it. I would not imagine andyone would ever try and pump 18 gallons in it cause noone ever really attempts to run it that low. Frankly, for $36,000, I got better things to do than fill up every two days at 180 miles each time.
  • Options
    ycookmdycookmd Member Posts: 4
    My 99 gets mileage up to the high 200's per tank during extended highway driving (Dallas to San Antonio/Houston) depending on average speed. I'm not sure what my city mileage is, but it's sure not that great. Oh, well, I wasn't expecting a Civic HX.

When the fuel light comes on, the tank will take 13 gallons. If I drive it around for a few more days, it'll take 16-16.5 or so. I haven't wanted to push it farther.

There was a post on the Vmag forum a while back detailing how someone had (out of curiosity) run the tank dry to see how many mile he could get after the light came on. I forget the number, but as I recall, it was quite a lot.

I can't speak for everyone -- but for me, at least, it would seem that the issue is only the gauge and NOT the tank.

Just my $.02
  • Options
    I'm going in tomorrow to get my new fuel gauge. I'll let you know how it works out.
  • Options
    ricd1ricd1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 4Runner with the 3.0 V6 and automatic.
    Love the truck, but it has no UMPH (power). The cruise control is useless since there is no torque. I seem to be downshifting all the time. I have to downshift to crawl over a dime. My complaint is mainly at highway speeds.. Any good affordable upgrades available????
  • Options
    tolentino1tolentino1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm running my 265/70-R16s at 30 psi, 2 psi lower
    than recommended. Anyone have a major concern withdoing this? At this pressure, the ride is softer and the handling stable.
  • Options
    You do know that is one of the major causes of the failure of the firestone tires on the Explorers? Lower tire pressure translates to a squishier tire which gives you a soft ride, puts more rubber on the road, increases friction, and increases heat, increased heat leads to tread separation...

-mike
  • Options
    yelostn801yelostn801 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking for a used 4 Runner between 1993 and 1996 preferably a 5 speed stick but I would consider an automatic if it is the right car. I live in Utah and have just finish driving a 95 SR 5 auto that the dealer said was a California car he brought it up from California a couple of weeks ago. After a test drive, it seemed to me the car had very little get up and go! I drove a 93
    sr 5 auto later the same day and it had plenty of power. The 93 was a Utah car. Talking to several people, I have been told that California emissions is more stringent than Utah, and the California cars computer was set for a lower altitude and the Utah car is set for a higher altitude, and that is why the California car does not run well in Utah. I've not checked with the dealer about this but some "CAR GUYS" I know, tell me it expensive to set the computer for Utah Altitude. I was also told in 1996 the 4 Runner went to a larger engine ( more horsepower)is this true, and I if so, what is the difference? I would appreciate it if someone out there in the KNOW could answer my questions.
  • Options
    I owned a '91 SR-5 V-6 until last 12/99. I put 120,000 miles on it and traded it for a 2000 4Runner SR-5 V-6. There is a significant difference in engine power (which did change in '96). Engine power was the only complaint I had on my '91. You will find the power much better but not up to V-8 standards (like an Explorer or Pathfinder). However, for me, the horsepower was adequate plus I have the added advantage of much better gas mileage vs. the V-8 competition. I am getting 19 mpg in town and 23 on pure highway driving. I recommend test driving a 4Runner '96 or higher model 4Runner for your own comparison.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    siennamansiennaman Member Posts: 1
    I think the new Toyota Sequoia is all in all the best SUV that Toyota has to offer. It beats the Landcruiser hands down! What does everybody else think??????
  • Options
    IMHO looks like a tundra with a cap on it. The LC is so much classier looking, and an SUV that was designed as such, not as an afterthought. Personally it looks too much like an expedition to be classy. Also at a sticker of around $50K It's a big ridiculous! :)

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
  • Options
    i got the fuel probelm fixed on my 2000 SR5 last week, and so far everything seems to be fixed. I can get in about 15.5 gallons at the pump without having to force feed it. I know there is 3 gallons left in the tank when the empty light goes on, so I think i'm getting around 18 now.
  • Options
    I also just had my fuel gauge fixed on my '99 sr5. They had to drop the tank, empty the fuel, replace a unit inside the tank (sender) replace the unit in the dash. This necessitated them replacing my odometer which had to go to the factory to be set with my current mileage otherwise, I was told, thye have to report to the dmv (California) that my mileage was "undetermined" which would affect resale value.

In spite of some people here who have not been happy with Toyota about getting a response to their problem, I called the national office in Torrance Ca. which researched the problem, called me back, asked which dealer I wanted to go to, contacted the dealer, and someone from the dealership called me to set up an appointment. Other than the minor inconvenience of having to leave it there for a day, the whold process was simple.

Also, all the peo[ple I dealt with were helpful and cordial throughout the process.
  • Options
    ron200ron200 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2000 4Runner SR5 about 2 months ago and noticed there is buzzing noise coming from the stereo unit when the engine is running. The noise will disappear when I turn off the engine.

I will hear the noise not just from the radio also from the cd and cassette as well. I took back to the dealer and they said it is normal. I am not sure if I should call Toyota directly and ask them to send a field rep to check it out.

Does anyone has a 2000 4Runner that has this kind of problem?

thanks,
    ron
  • Options
    Not being a Toyota tech or expert, but from other experiences, it sounds like the radio or some other electrical device has a bad ground wire.

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
  • Options
    tilertiler Member Posts: 15
    caslon did they have to replace the odometer in your 2000 when they fixed the problem. I have heard that it needs to be replaced in the 99 but not the 00. joecaro you say they sent your odometer to the factory to be set with current mileage and only had your truck for one day? Did they replace your odometer with a new one or just have to reset your mileage? It's good to hear you both got yours fixed.
  • Options
    Evidently the fuel gauge and odometer are part of the same unit. My understanding was that they had to replace the unit and in order to do so they set the odometer of the new unit at the factory. They also had to drain the tank and replace a sensor and sender unit located in the tank. Everything seems ok now.
  • Options
    They did have to drain the tank, but they did not replace the odometer. It only had to be in the shop half a day.
  • Options
    newgradnewgrad Member Posts: 25
    Hello...I have a 2000 4Runner SR5 with Sport Package and I notice that every time I start to accelerate after the SUV hasn't been driven for a while, I hear a twanging kinda noise from the right front passenger area. Sounds like an antenna hitting a tree branch (my antenna is not up when I hear this and there are no tree branches around). After this initial acceleration it goes away and I don't hear it again until the next time. Has anyone had any success in finding out what this noise is? Is it fixable? Also, I have bubbles in my dashboard. Has anyone had any success in getting this fixed?

Thanks...
  • Options
    tilertiler Member Posts: 15
    Thank you both for the response. It sounds like what I heard about the 00 not needing the odometer replaced is correct.
  • Options
    I was just on a test drive with a customer on a 2001 4Runner SR5 4x4. With the engine running, I was explaining how the 4WD system works. While I was explaining things, he asked me what the button on the dash did as he hit it. The button in question was the center differential lock button. After that, I was unable to engage 4WD system. The lights kept flashing and the VSC lights was on.

I was very perplexed. We tried everything to make it stop to no avail. We took a test drive and nothing seemed to work like it was supposed to. It was very embarrassing

When we got back, he indicated that he wanted to come back on Monday to work out the numbers but wanted the system fixed. I agreed.

Now comes the funny part. After getting his information, I went back to park the Runner. When I started it, the system began to function as intended. It seems that if you hit the center diff lock button before the 4WD system is engaged, the system is confused and has to be shut off and restarted. I drove it to make sure everything works and it does.

Very odd stuff. Any owners of the 2001 should be aware of this quirk.
  • Options
    hermesnthermesnt Member Posts: 5
    Cliffy - this is exactly what happened to me on the test drive, but I thought I had a problem truck. So restarting the truck was able to correct the problem. Huh, I didn't know Microsoft was building 4Runners :)
    Have you tried it on any other trucks to see if they will all do it?
  • Options
    We don't have any other vehicles that have this 4WD system and have a button for the differential lock. The Sequoia has this system but to lock the center differential, you place the 4WD selector in low and the transmission in L.
  • Options
    Well so long as you don't get the "Blue Screen of Death" while driving @ 75mph, you should be ok!

hee hee

-mike
  • Options
    lowongaslowongas Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 4Runner Highlander, 13,000 miles, and after reading your posts about the gas tank and guage problems, I am wondering if I should have mine checked out.
    I can only pump in about 13.5 - 14 gallons after the gas light appears, is this any kind of a sign? Any things to look for?
    Thanks
    Low On Gas......
  • Options
    The problems posted here go far beyond what you are describing. The fuel tank should hold 18.5 gallons but the light normally comes on with between 3 to 4 gallons left in the tank. Your experience of the light coming on and putting 13.5 to 14 gallons falls right in line with that.
  • Options
    lowongaslowongas Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Cliffy1,
    So what are the other key signs to be on the lookout for with this gas tank problem.
    Low On Gas......