Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

1181920212224»

Comments

• sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    So when there is a passenger seated, the light is supposed to stay on?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    So when there is a passenger seated, the light is supposed to stay on?

If they are un-belted.

These are mostly federal requirements...not Toyota specific,.
  • linersliners Member Posts: 19
    Yes
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Sorry, I confused my lights.

The airbag light comes on to tell you the airbag is deactivated. This is usually because it thinks there is a small child on the front seat. In reality, it doesn't know the difference between a small child, a dog, a laptop or a pizza, it just measures weight.

There are Federal requirements for when it illuminates. Some manufactures use a time-out or a speed threshold to turn off the light.
  • sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    Well gee, the red flashing seat belt light does go off once the seat belt is clasped; however, that distracting pesky yellow Air Bag On light stayed lit during the entire test drive which included a few highway miles. We had the Venza at night and that yellow light is very distracting. It never went off. As it turns out, this "new" 2009 Venza also had other issues with the VSC. At one point, my wife put the car in Reverse and the beep beep beep went off and the VSC light stayed flashing and we were not moving yet. I think I need to pass on this particular Venza. There must be a software issue or sensor issue of some sort. That's too bad as the car is right for empty nesters.
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    easy, test another Venza. I had no problem whatsoever with my awesome Venza...i already logged in 20,000 miles...love every second of it.
  • sparklelovesparklelove Member Posts: 11
    I'm new to the forums and I have a question about buying a New 2010 Venza
    I posted this on another forum, but I need some help on my decision

4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
    Options are: MSRP
    Premium Package #2 $4,345
    JBL Premium Audio $1,090
    Destination $ 750
    Total $35,735

Now I was told by a friend that I am not suppose to pay Dealer Prep Fees, Ad Fees since I am not responsilbe for the them to sell cost effective ads, and floorplans and Holdback fees, and that I should get the car for at least close to 31,000 or 32,000, and just to make sure that I ask to see the Factory Invoice on the car to haggle right?

:confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    All that may be well and good, but I'd figure out how much I thought the car was worth, and offer a number a bit less than that. Something less than True Market Value in other words.

And then just focus on one number - the out the door price. Why spend an hour fighting over a $200 prep fee? (It is a junk fee, but do the OTD thing and you can ignore it).

Out The Door (OTD) Pricing questions

Enjoy the new ride!
    The light stays ON all the time when there is someone in the seat. Your wife's experience with the BEEP, BEEP and the VSC light coming on is because of the vehicles hill assist feature. Your wife undoubtedly stepped on the brake pedal hard before placing it in reverse thus making the system sense that you were on a hill. Under normal brake pressure, this does not happen.

I have had my AWD, V-6 for a year this week with 21,000 miles on it. It has been one great car. It rides great, gets plenty of looks and is very economical and still hauls butt besides.
  • nilkitwanilkitwa Member Posts: 5
    I wonder if anyone has a similar problem ?When I leave my 2009 Venza parked and not used for more then 3 weeks, the battery goes dead and I have to ''boost'' it to get it started. The dealer says that this is because there are so many electronics on the car that even with everything off the battery will drain out completely. He suggested I use a trickle charger or disconnect the battery if I leave it not used for more then 3-4 weeks; have never had this with any other cars, I am curious if anyone else has run into this, the 6 cylinder Venza has 8000 km on it and has been ''completely'' gone over by the service dept at the dealer
    many thanks
  • jonran73jonran73 Member Posts: 7
    I have an 09 Venza V6 AWD. Does anybody have a noise (ratling) problem on the steering wheel/column when you go over small bumps? (eg. road reflectors). Very annoying.
    My 09 V6, with AWD with 25,000 miles has developed a similar ratling which almost sounds like a sloppy u-joint. I will contact the dealer tomorrow.
  • macgyver001macgyver001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Venza V6 AWD. The alarm has gone off 4 times in the past 24 hrs without anyone being near the vehicle. Also, the aux plugs arent working so I havent been able to use my ipod. Has anyone had a similar issue? I checked the fuses and they are fine. Any input would be appreciated.
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    re: Ipod. I do not think it would work because the system only uses a MP3 player.
    Tjat may of caused yr plug problems.

How is your gas mileage. mine is lousy. Best i can get is about 23mpg at 70 mph.

keeep in touch via my email address,

Bob
  • tictoctictoctictoctictoc Member Posts: 7
    Hi There,

HAd the same problem( Alam going off intermittently) some days back. Took it to the dealer and he reset the sensitivity of the alarm. Everything is fine after that. ( No charge by the dealer.)For me this occurred bec A) I live in snowfall zone where temp goes to around -15, B) have Glass Breakage Sensor installed in this weather the glass might be contracting sounding the alarm.

AUX works fine hope you are using the cable provided with Venza for my I POD and it works fine.

Hope this helps
    Brought mine to the dealership last week, I have 21,000 miles now. Rattling noise started when it was around 18,000 miles. Anyway, they fixed it but its hard to believe coz they said it was bracket of the headers that was making the noise and the sound comes from the steering wheel inside the cabin. I have a feeling it will come back(noise) pretty soon. Good luck!
    Hi, I just wanna know hows ur venza doing. Did u fix the rattling noise in the steering? Just had mine fixed last week. Toyota ended up replacing the whole steering column... and the car now is like brand new. It just worries me that the whole rattling noise might be back after 18-20 thou miles when I dont have warranty anymore. Im planning to buy extended warranty because of this or just trade it in with a lexus GS 350 which I believe is built better.
    Consumers just put the new Lexus on a DO NOT BUY LIST for safety reasons
    At 32,000 miles and 14 months old, I still have the steering column rattle/vibration. I am going in for oil change next week and will re'check based on your column replacement. Dealer has documented the issue and two "cannot duplicate" checks.

Other wise, the vehicle has been great. Just came back from 1500 mile trip and averaged 27.5 mpg, mostly interstate at 75mph. Tire wear has been excellent. v-6, AWD, Michelins
    Its a sure fix if the dealer will replace the entire steering column. Maybe its a design flaw for this car. I traded my venza last month. Dont get me wrong, I love the car but it worries me what happens after another 20 T miles when the warranty is gone. I got a lexus LS 460 L with low mileage (almost same with the venza when I traded it) and it goes 27-28 mpg highway and its a V8. Its very efficient probably because of the 8 speed transmission. I ended up paying a bit more on my monthly payment but its all worth it. Better bring your venza before your warranty ends and you have to push the dealer sometimes so they get it done right. Good luck!
  • halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    Does this affect only V-6 models? Anybody with 4-cyl model expeerience same? First I've heard of steering wheel/column rattling.

I had a metallic rattling noise heard on left side when driven over uneven road surfaces and bumps. Strut mounts were tightened and problem was eventually traced to a left fender bolt/washer not securely fastened.

Hal
    The service manager at David Maus Toyota in Sanford, FL indicated that Toyota is aware of the problem and is currently working on a "fix". Apparently, they identified the problem in March, but the supplier could not generate the repair parts in a timely fashion to release the service bulletin then.
  • lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    My 09 Venza V6 did not have the customary tint strip at the top on the windshield. At the time I thought it was just a way to say a buck by Toyota. My eyes are sensitive to the light since I had my cataracts removed. I had a tinting company apply a tint strip for $30. I don't especially like it because it doesn't fade at it reaches the lower area.
    I was wondering for Venza's to have that strip or not?
    For those who have been concerned by a steering column rattle noise as I have for some time, there is a new TSB isssued January 6, 2011. T-SB-0005-11 replaces the whole sterering column assembly, OP CODE 442051. HOORAH!!
  • ibtravlinibtravlin Member Posts: 2
    Hey Mac:
    Have not had the alarm problem yet, but I have the AUX problem.
    My was fuse in position #20 was blown. It is in the fuse box under the left side of the dash. Right under the coin holder. I think is was a 15 amp.
    Take a look and see if thats it. If it works for you it should also solve the Ipod problem. :)
  • mikeor1mikeor1 Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions as to which ultra performance all-weather tires would be best for a 2011 Toyota Venza V6 AWD? I am driving 5 months/year in snow, the rest of the year in " liquid sun". :lemon:
    i LIVE IN CANADA AND HAVE A 2009 CVvENZA WITH THE THE FACTORY INSTALLED MECHLIN 20 IN ALL WEATHER TIRES.
    WORK GREAT IN SNOW FROM NOV TO EARLY APRIL.

HOPE THIS HELPS
  • carguyflcarguyfl Member Posts: 1
    Please call Toyota to report the steering column rattle/knocking issue. 1 (800) 331-4331. I called and filed a complaint. My 2009 Toyota has 41k miles and they will not replace the steering column because it is out of basic warranty. if enough people complain and file cases Toyota will issue a recal and fix the column for those who got stuck with the issue after the warranty expired. the part is $1300. Please call Toyota and hold them responsible!

Joe
  • shadowlady1997shadowlady1997 Member Posts: 2
    I too had a left dash rattle that was driving me nuts. The good news its that when I took it to the dealer (30K Miles) they confirmed the noise. They told me they thought it was a loose wiring harness underneath the dash and I would have to sign a waiver acknowledging that if they removed the dashboard to get to the loose wiring harness it would most likely result in "other" rattles in the dash. I went home to think it over and research my delema.

Armed with your advice about T-SB-0005-11 I went back to the dealer and I was amazed they took my advice, contacted Toyota and they authorized the replacement of the steering column. Rattle gone!
  • tictoctictoctictoctictoc Member Posts: 7
    Liners is right that all Venza's have this steering column rattling coming once they cross 20K + miles . I did have the same problem at exact 20K miles and 2.5 yrs of ownership. I was covered under Bumper to bumper warrenty and Toyota did take care of the same. Toyota should send a recall for the same. I love my Venza. I do have some other small issues 1) Rattling noise under the dashboard passenger side got it rectified 2) Winter time the cargo door doesen't open fully ( will take to dealer).
  • fair2usfair2us Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2012
    My 25,000 + miles Venza is doing this steering column rattle noise and knocking feel too. A local Toyota dealership presented me with a TSB for a Steering Column Rattle Noise, T-SB-0005-11, and I was told that my Venza was one month out of the Toyota 3yr basic warranty. I can either fix it myself or live with the noise. I then brought the Venza to a reputable independent mechanic and he believes that the rattle in the steering column may be resolved with the TSB for the Steering Column Rattle Noise, T-SB-0005-11. The independent mechanic also found that the intermediate steering shaft has slack in the u-joints. He recommends replacing the intermediate shaft first to see if that resolves the issue before replacing the steering column, which is a lot more expensive repair, as Toyota has suggested. If you are experiencing this issue with your Toyota, please report it to Toyota Customer Care: 1-800-331-4331 Toyota Motor Sales USA National Customer Relations 19001 South Western Avenue, Department WC-10, Torrance, California 90501
  • ogeeneogeene Member Posts: 1
    I just called today about same issue what everyone has here. This issue started with the car since under 30k miles, even right now is not big deal but toyota they not standing for their cars this is all I can tell. As soon as I mentioned that I my car at this moment has 50k miles they said that this will not be covered even under defective part they manufactured. I said mechanic was inspecting when it just started doing and they said there is no records in the system. So I would just suggest dont buy toyota since they had too many way too many issues with their cars, and they are not same toyota as used to be. I was amaized when lady said at consumer relations " we dont have any records that people are reporting this issue" thousands of people has same issue even forums are full of discussions about this issue, and most of owners end up paying for the part and labor. I can not afford paying 2k, toyota should be responsible for the defective parts
  • howy67howy67 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2009 Venza V6 AWD. I bought the car in late 2012 with 28000 miles. The steering column rattled when I bought it...didn't think anything about it. I just took it in for 30K check-up at dealer (32K on odometer). Was initially told it may need a 'grease-pack' replacement. Just rec'd call it needs a new steering column! Thankfully, I purchased a 100K extended warranty so repair will be paid by ext'd warranty. I like the car...the engine is amazing. The car was still barely under basic warranty when I bought it and after numerous searches, discovered there were some big-ticket issues with this auto. So I bought the ext'd warranty. I think the expense for the extended warranty has paid off. I'll keep the forum posted.
  • howy67howy67 Member Posts: 2
    Dealer had to order part - two days in shop. Part $1330 labor about $200. Fortunately covered by extended warranty. Out-of-basic warranty...otherwise would have been an out-of-pocket expense. Car is now rattle-free. Almost describe ride as tight. All is good for now.
  • fair2usfair2us Member Posts: 26
    Did you get your money's worth from this Toyota extended warranty that you purchased? If I had that warranty, I'd still own my '09 Venza. But the lack of responsibility from Toyota on this issue, not to mention the repair cost, just turned me off from buying another one. I am happy to see it all seemed to work out for you.