Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    Speaking of the gravel and rocks on the roads here in Colorado (Ft. Collins), I have persued a solution to paint dings that I know others have had good luck with. I've had clear "masking" applied to my front-end.

I've had other vehicles where after a few years of my frequent winter driving, look like someone took a shotgun to the front; lots of little chips.

The clear mask solution will cost a few hundred bucks but the lava rock they seem to use on Rabbit Ears Pass is pretty bad and I hate to see a new car get trashed out so fast.
  • Options
    greenmaxgreenmax Member Posts: 47
    I read that Consumer Reports have recommended all Toyota models except the 4Runner in their latest issue. Does anyone know why?
  • Options
    peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Two reasons for not recommending the 4Runner. First, they haven't tested it yet. Second, it is rare to recommend a new model in it's first year. They did it with the new Honda Accord after they tested it, but mostly they shy away from new model years.

The Toyota Highlander and Sequoia were not recommended at the start and now they are.

Looking at the magazine I see what you mean about Toyota. EVERY Toyota is recommended except the 4Runner. Since they haven't test it yet, I would not put too much in not being on the Recommended list.
  • Options
    mechfred1mechfred1 Member Posts: 12
    Bought a V/6 because it is part time not full time like the V/8.Like it a lot.Had a 97 limited 4X4 and liked it also.Like oil filter location on 03 not 97,had to remove skid plates to change oil and oil filter.Has good power compared to 97.Also better gas milage.I have been a certified mechanic since 1958 and owned my own shop for many years.Now retired at 74.Changed oil and oil filter at 1100 miles.Will change all gear lube at 15000.This is best if keeping 6 years or more.Also best to change all fluids about at 3 years.More often if used in dirt or mud.As we say pay now or pay more latter plus wear it out quicker and leave it to new owner.Fred mechanic1.My opinion after 55 years.Also remember all filters.V/6 has a timming chain no belt to change.It is also VVT/I. And all aluminum engine for less weight.
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I too, live in Colorado (south Denver suburbs), the "SUV capital of the world". I am shopping for a small to mid size SUV, preferably with 4 wheel low gearing. That why Liberty and 4Runner are on my short list. I like the Toyota quality, but the 4Runner will cost $7-9k more.

I'm not an off-road fanatic but I've had my Ranger 4X4 off-road and it's a lot of fun. I started looking at the RAV4, but I'm concerned the 4 cylinder won't have enough power to climb the mountain passes.

Cliffy, I did read your posts about your testing of the 4Runner. Thanks for posting them. If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd appreciate reading them.
  • Options
    fishingguyfishingguy Member Posts: 34
    400 miles or so and overall, I am dazzled -- and I am very picky. Bought 4X4 V8 with appearance pkg, leather and a few other options ($31.2k pre-tax). Goods and bads so far:
    Goods
    - Power, handling and xmission are stellar.
    - Fit and finish are rock solid.
    - Car looks awesome.
    - Overall mpg is between 17 and 18 (70% expressway); not bad for 4X4 V8
    - Added aftermarket Alpine head unit and Kenwood speakers with XM Satellite radio. This is completely awesome. Cartunes in Atl did a great job. Well worth the $1,100. Was surprised how muddy the factory audio was.
    Bads
    - I am 6'1" and cannot seem to find a optimal combo of seat and steering wheel adjustment to let me comfortably rest my hand on top of wheel. Either I have to put seat too close and lose leg room or tilt steering wheel all the way down and have it too close to my lap.
    - Alot of wind noise on expressway; no better than my ole 94 Explorer.
    Overall the vehicle is not as luxurious as my wife's MDX but I need to tow my 19' boat and MDX just is not cut out for this. Overall this is great vehicle. I am anxious to see how well it holds together for next 10 years since my leap to a Toyota was primarily for the long term reliability. I am surprised to see that Toyota want 5W30 oil in the V8. Just seems like a big torque V8 wants 10W40 to me.
  • Options
    beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Didn't mean to sound too anal retentive concerning towing req's? I am glad that we have such helpful people here:)
  • Options
    vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Yeah, the SUV capital of the world...hah! It does seem there's a disproportionately large number of them around here. I'll have to subjectively evaluate this when I drive my 4Runner to Chicago and WI later this month....

While shopping for my last vehicle, I seriously looked at 3 vehicles. The 4Runner, the TrailBlazer, and the Subaru Outback VDC wagon. I didn't like the Trailblazer much, nor the dealership where I went. Comparing the TB's 275HP I6 to the 235HP V8 in the 4Runner, they drove exactly the opposite. The 4Runner felt peppier and livlier. All around it drove better. Like the 4Runner interior a lot more, too. The TB did have significantly more space, though. The Outback I liked, though it was pretty short on low-end grunt, which the 4Runner was definitely not. The interior was nice, it was fairly spacious, though not quite as much as the 4Runner. But it was essentially a (very nice) car, and when it came down to it, I wanted a truck-like vehicle.

As for the Jeeps, I think the JGC is probably a closer match to the 4Runner than the Liberty is. Reliability issues and general comments in reviews about the Jeeps being unrefined steered me away from looking at them. I find my 4Runner very refined, making it easy to live with day-to-day.

The Rav4 was too small and cutesy for me to consider. Again, I wanted a truck.

Everyone and their dog owns an Explorer. They're a bit plain and common for my tastes. However, if you're considering the Liberty, maybe a V6 Escape would be a possible vehicle to look at? Probably about the same size, and has more power than the Rav4. Dunno if it has 4LO, though. Not really designed for off-roading.

The Durango was outdated and had horrid mileage, even when compared to a gas-hogging V8 4Runner. Though the redesign for 2004 might be worth looking at, if you can wait.

The Pathfinder or Pilot might be worth a look, but they didn't appeal to me (styling, image and no V8, mostly, plus the Pilot isn't very truck-like)
  • Options
    yomolsyomols Member Posts: 24
    I too am in Colorado and am about to pull trigger on SR5V6. Noticed posts on V8s using 85 octane. Anyone in Co. using 85 octane in V6?
  • Options
    sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    I bought a sienna van for my wife and it has a v6 as well as recommending 87 octane gas. We have been using 85 octane since we got the van and it currently has 6000 miles on it. So far no knocking or performance lost.....I just don't know if that will change in the long run or not.

I did a search on the web regarding this 85 octane in Colorado issue and the opinions were all over the map. Some folks even went as far as stating that it will damage your engine in the long run. I wish I could get a formal answer from Toyota.

SV
  • Options
    reddfishreddfish Member Posts: 54
    Hello everyone, I have been reading these posts for months and I appreciate everyone sharing their information about the 03 4runner. I bought a V8 SR5 back in Nov. 02. After the 1st week, I smelled the sulfur smell that others have talked about. I thought it was just due to the "break in" of the new vehicle/ catalytic converter. It was not. The smell continued and after three attempts to fix the problem at two different Toyota dealers they have said that Toyota is aware of this problem, but have no fix for it. In a bulletin released on Feb. 24 of this year, Toyota is trying to blame the smell on the refining process of gasoline in every state except CA. I live in FL. I was told this is only a problem with the V8 and not the V6. I was wondering if anybody else is having this problem and what they are doing about it?
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    At first, I thought I had hit a skunk with my V-8 Sport. That road fart smell comes and goes. It may have something to do with one brand of gas over another. I can live with it ; it gives it a little character.
    I like CA. I go there frequently on business. It's a nice place to visit......
  • Options
    I haven't noticed it here in CO with the V8. Maybe our crappy low octane gas is good for something.
  • Options
    I've tried every grade and brand of fuel available with no relief from the rotten egg fumes. My kids don't even want to ride in the truck anymore. My wife loves the truck except for that reason. I believe this is a defect and Toyota can't fix it, so they are trying to classify this as a "non warrantable" problem so they won't have any liability. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    This is not an issue with just Toyota or any other manufacturer individually. Look at the postings on the problems board for almost all manufacturer and almost all models and you'll see the same complaints. The EPA has kept the same regulations in place for all of the manufacturers for emmissions limits, but the refining requirements for the gas companies were lessened. This is to the tune of, from what I've heard, before the lessened requirements limiting sulphur content to 2ppm to now some brands being as high as 3000ppm.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but if it makes you feel any better, anything else you buy will likely have the same problem.

Ken
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    fwiw, I see this problem most often (in the discussions I read) with the Mazda MPV. Some people have success switching brands or grades of gas and others have gone to more extreme measures, such as replacing catalyic converters, with varying success.

The problem doesn't seem limited to one manufacturer or model.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jdk10jdk10 Member Posts: 2
    am think about buying a 2003 or 2004 4runner. everything i've seen says super unleaded. does reg do just as well. don't like to pay 20 cents more for super..if all you can use is super i may change my mind..
  • Options
    The V8 runs on any grade
  • Options
    My V-8 has had only 87 octane in it since I got it in late DEC. It runs fine.
    I have found that Amoco stinks much worse than Citgo. I have had a cold for the last week so maybe I just can't smell it.
      Perhaps, Toyota should market official Toyota clothes pins to put over your nose.
      In any case, when I get out of my 4Runner and other people are present, I just say, "Excuse me."
  • Options
    jdk10jdk10 Member Posts: 2
    does the new runner v6 get just as good milage and run just as well on 87 octane?? thanks for info
  • Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The V6 gets slightly better mileage than the V8 and runs just fine on regular unleaded.
  • Options
    johnm27johnm27 Member Posts: 2
    Need some urgent info please.
    I need to know if the dealership is being up front with me. They tell me that on the V6 4Runner Limited, a 6CD Changer "in-dash" is not an available option, and that the only way a 6CD changer can be installed is in the console, which they've done on my 4R (and it's a pain in the ax), and had I known that, I would never have ordered that option. Some of you responded to one of my earlier inquiries this week about a 6CD Changer, but I believe those that responded had a V8. And if the dealer is being honest, what is so different between the V6 and V8 that does not enable a 6CD Changer to be installed in-dash on the V6. Kindly give me your input. Thanks..
  • Options
    I thought all the LTD's around here had a 6 disc changer in-dash, regardless of engine, with the option packages that were available, unless they had NAV.

What you should probably do is go to Toyota's website and configure your own, the way you want it. It will tell you what option packages are available in your own region (maybe it varies?)

Interestingly, Toyota's site is showing different options now than when I first looked at mine on there. All the V6LTD's have NAV, which is only a single-CD unit in-dash. Could be different in your area.

Looking at the V8, it's got 2 option combos with NAV, both for about $1400 _less_ than the 6disc option. Seems to me like there's something screwed up on their site or with their pricing, it used to be the opposite way around....

WTF?
  • Options
    Unless things really have changed, I think the difference is with NAV. NAV + a 6 disk, the 6 disk is in the console.
  • Options
    I suppose if they don't have any non-NAV V6's, then they'd have to put the 6-disc in the cavernous center console.

Does Toyota frequently (mid-year) change available option packages?
  • Options
    rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    I'm wondering if there would be an auxilliary input inside the dash on my radio. I have a Limited V8 with the built-in 6CD changer.

For units without the built-in 6CD changer, where they can add the in-the-glove-box changer, there is obviosly an auxilliary input that they are connecting to.

I would like to perhaps tie in an iPod and would prefer NOT to use one of those dummy cassettes that has the head pickup style auxilliary inputs.

Any info appreciated.

-Eric
  • Options
    morrymorry Member Posts: 24
    I have almost bought a 4Runner in New Jersey. Does anyone have a suggestion as to an inexpensive way to get it to Ohio? I would really appreciate all help that you could offer. Thanks in advance.

Morry
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    vodgut, thanks for the input. It's strange, but the Liberty has more interior headroom, front and rear than the 4Runner (it's a taller vehicle). It also has more rear legroom - though slightly less leg room in front. The 4Runner is significantly larger on the outside though. Looked at the Escape. I like the exterior, but not the interior. Also no 4 wheel low. I've had a couple of Fords, it's time for a change. Wish Toyota would bring out 0% financing or cash back, that might give me the boost I need to buy one now.

As far as Colorado gasoline is concerned, I've been using 85 octane in my Ranger V6 for 85,000 miles with no ill effects. The engine still runs like new. However, I use only 91 octane in my BMW.
  • Options
    rickwil61rickwil61 Member Posts: 23
    I actually got a straight answer from Toyota. I called their 1-800-TOYOTA line and asked about running 85 octane in the V6 in Colorado. They told me that since the vehicle compensates for the altitude that I should use 87 as a minimum but that they really recommended 91 for better performance. I had burned a couple of tanks of 85 through my V6 but thought I should ask before I continued doing it. I didn't notice any knocking or other adverse affects although the power seemed to be down a little. I'm going to run a couple of tankfuls of 91 and then run some 87 and see if there's much difference in the performance. If not then I'll probably just run 87. My only concern about running 85 is if there are any long term consequences to doing it.
  • Options
    khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    If the vehicle has a nav system, the six-disc changer won't fit in the dash, and the console is your only option. Otherwise, there would seem to be no reason why you couldn't have the six-disk in-dash changer.

However, Toyota's distribution system is (IMHO) bizarre. Each region determines what is available on its vehicles and what isn't. For example, we in Michigan can't have nav systems. And I believe either California or Texas can't have four-wheel drive vehicles. This might be your problem.

The in-dash 6 CD changer is available only as part of the JBL Synthesis sound system which is $725 on our vehicle's sticker. This is a much more elaborate and powerful system, and its features go well beyond just the six-disk changer. If the dealer is asking $725 for just the console changer, he's trying to take you for a ride!

Good luck.

-Karl '03 4Runner Limited V8 4WD
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A net search will give you a bunch of companies you can email or call Morry. Or browse the eBaymotors.com listings. Lots of those ads mention transport companies used. Or ask a local dealer for a referral.

Your options are to "flatbed" it or go with a company that has drivers who actually drive the car to you and fly/bus home. My wife drove ("floated" really) a Ford LTD half-way cross-country when she was in college for some company just for fun. She also went 2,000 miles over her limit in the contract amount!

Don't have time or inclination for a road trip yourself, eh?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bjperlmanbjperlman Member Posts: 4
    First of all, thanks to everyone who posted information and impressions about the new 4runner. These discussions helped me decide to get it and also negotiate a fair price ($500 over invoice). 200 miles so far and I'm very pleased.

Does anyone have suggestions about after market radios and/or navigation systems? Would the sound improvement be worth the money? Do any systems interface with the steering wheel controls? Should I wait for a vehicle specific mounting kit to come out?

BTW, based on the cladding discussions, I must have strange tastes. I really like the look of my titanium with the contrasting cladding.

Barry '03 sport V6 4WD
  • Options
    kim47kim47 Member Posts: 9
    Eric, I have the exact same question you do. I have a V8 Sport with the 6 CD in-dash system. I'll be picking up an iPod in a couple of weeks and would love to skip the whole cassette adapter setup. I was looking at http://www.rcainput.com/ but they only have adapters for Toyotas through the 2002 model year and the adapter can only be plugged into a CD changer input. Next time I go to my dealer I'll ask them if they know if there is a way to add an RCA input to this JBL system.

Kim
  • Options
    jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    To your first question, about any suggestions, I would have to suggest alpine, eclipse, or kenwood excelon (not regular kenwood) radios. Alpine has a nice headunit with built in screen which can act as a Nav unit, or in many cases, a separate nav unit could be better/cheaper. Your second question can't be answered by anyone, but yourself. Is the sound improvement worth the money? Well to me, yes (depending on how much money) but to someone else maybe no. Ask yourself how much time you spend in your car, what kind of music you listen to, if you listen to radio or cd (good sound systems bring out the crappiness of radio) and how much you like a good sounding stereo system. To your question about steering wheel controls, all of those headunits (and more probably) can be hooked up to your steering wheel controls. The controls can even be changed if you want: say you would rather have track fwd and back buttons rather than volumn, you can have that done. Best Buy or Circuit City might not do this for you, but a decent car audio shop will. In regards to the mounting kit, I think they are already available, so no need to wait. Oh, and I like the cladding as well.

Hope that helped.
    -Jared
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Be VERY careful about hiring somebody to ship it. I got screwed a few years ago by a company out of NY when I tried to ship a Land Cruiser from VA to CA for one of my customers. It was a complete debacle. Get references and check them.

The best way to "ship" it is to buy a one way ticket to the city where the car is and drive it home.
  • Options
    coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    A few weeks back I looked at sites for local dealers (typically www.'dealername'.com) and found useful information on their new car stock. Actual listings of vehicles and factory options for each vehicle. It was obvious that almost all these sites used the same software, and probably were hosted at the same place.

Lately all these sites are completely different and have bogus option information (under "installed options" they list some of the standard features) and show a picture of last year's model of 4Runner. They've taken a giant step back in terms of the info they show, and have even gone from showing the current year 4Runner to pictures of the 2002s.

Any idea what's going on? I searched other Toyota boards and didn't see anything.
  • Options
    I could use some help from some of the people that read this forum. I recently posted a letter about the rotten egg smell from my 03 v8 4runner. Not only does it come through the a/c vent, but also surrounds the vehicle with this odor. This unsafe and sometimes embarrassing condition was addressed by Toyota as normal and unfixable. I was advised to keep my a/c control on the recir. option and to keep my windows closed. As you know, when using the a/c auto control, the computer decides whether or not to use fresh air or recir. and also what fan speed to use. I believe that if I spend over 30k for a vehicle, that I should be able to put my windows down and use my a/c any way I want to without being subjected to this noxious stink. I have decided to lemon law this vehicle and have already filed the proper paperwork and Toyota has already had their last chance to repair without success. Our next step is arbitration, and that should be coming up in April. I have been a Toyota driver for over 20 years and have never had a problem like this. I was told by the Sevice manager that the v6's do not have this problem and neither do any of the other 03 Toys. I would be willing to exchange my truck for a comparably priced v6, if that was an option. Toyota corporate called me and just said sorry about your problem, you shouldn't have to put up with that, and good luck. If anybody else has a similar problem with the v8 sr5 or limited, please send it to this forum so that I may print it and take to the hearing. I realized that I was not the only one with this problem by reading articles written here. Also a salesman at my dealership experienced the same thing on a test drive in a v8 lmt. and said they couldn't sell the vehicle for that reason. Thanks in advance for any help on this matter. I am not against Toyota as a company, just this vehicle and any others that are having this problem. I will post the results of the arbitration hearing either way. I think we have a good chance of winning this one. Not just for me, but for anybody else seeking relief from this situation.
  • Options
    carattorneycarattorney Member Posts: 62
    There are lots of educated and informed folks in this discussion group so I will give this tough one a try:

I am shopping for a V6 4 x 2 SR5 and I live in Arizona, but do a lot of business in California (5 hours to San Diego or Los Angeles). I can buy in AZ or CA--does not matter--prices and discounts about the same.

BUT--All the 4-runners shipped to Arizona have 17 inch alloys [p265/65R17]included and All the 4-runners shipped to California dealers have 16 inch alloys [p265/70R16]. You cannot get a new runner with 16 inch in AZ. You cannot get a new runner with 17 inch in California.

When you build them out on the Toyota website--you cannot build 17 inch wheels on to a runner to anywhere in CA and likewise, you cannot build a runner to anywhere in Arizona with 16 inch wheels.

I talked with just one dealer in San Diego who confirmed that all runners come in with 16 inch wheels there no matter what model. In AZ where I live, dealers confirmed that they only get 17 inch wheels on all models.

In fact: With the exception of California, you really cannot build 16 inch wheels to any State--they are all 17 inch.

1. Does anyone know why you cannot get 17 inch wheels in California from Toyota, but can in the rest of the United States?? Is there a law?

2. Does anyone have an opinion as to which size is better (price is the same amazingly). I can buy in AZ or CA--no matter to me.

3. Does one tire size get better gas mileage? Does one size ride/handle better on this truck?

Thanks, David
  • Options
    rokinkrokink Member Posts: 25
    I do not think there is anything that Toyota can do about this. I have been smelling it since 1984. It is related to gasoline additives that vary for multiple reasons. The smell typically comes from vehicles with "hi-tech" emission control systems.

I am smelling it again nowadays in a 2001
    E320 that uses premium.
  • Options
    Just read your post. I have been shopping lately for 4-ruuners. If you haven't found one yet and Arizona is an option for a drive back to Ohio, you may want to contact the dealers here in Phoenix-Scottsdale. Arizona is BIG truck State and every dealer has TONS of 4-runners--you can fill a ship with them. I haven't been looking specifically for NAV but I would be surprised if they did not have it here. I would go to the Toyota website Toyota.com, dealer locator, enter zip 85016 or 85024 0r 85251 and use the e-mail link to fleet at Bell Road Toyota or Camelback Toyota or Right Toyota (these are the biggest ones)and tell them what you want and see what they say. (FYI:I looked in California--dealers there do not have large supplies--trucks are not as popular as AZ.) Let us know what you end up getting.
  • Options
    intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Both tire sizes are equivalent in terms of size. The 17" wheels will slightly make your ride a bit rougher...SLIGHTLY (more alloy and less rubber/air). The 16" wheels are not as pretty...the current trend nowadays is toward more allow and higher profile tires. Handling will SLIGHTLY favor 17" wheels.

The MOST important difference between the tire sizes is aftermarket availability. Most SUV tire companies do not offer many choices in 17" wheels...however, that is starting to change. There is a whole bunch in 16" wheels.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Here is my non-technical 2 cents:

I have been shopping for a 4-runner. Last Friday, I got into a 2003 v6 4 x 2. Salesman turned on the A/C after we took off and a bad odor filled the truck and was blowing out of the vents. Now, I have test driven many new cars/trucks and they will have some "burning" odors when brand new--but nothing like that odor! The salesman turned off the A/C --opened the windows and commented that he has never smelled anything like that--that it was not normal and they can't sell trucks with that--he said he would find me another one if I was interested.

I asked the SALESMAN what that odor was and he commented that in Japan, they spray the engine and components with a chemical under the hood before shipping to prevent rust and corrosion while on the seas. He said that when it arrives in port--they are supposed to "wash it down" with another chemical that removes the first one. He thinks they forgot to wash this one at port and said that they can wash the chemical off at the dealer later.

When we got back from the test drive, the Sales Manager approached to see how I liked it and without warning to the salesperson, I asked him about the odor. He responded with the following: Same story about how they apply a thick corrosion prevention chemical in Japan BUT he says that for some units--they are forgetting to wash it off at the Port--prep facility in Long Beach, CA and that the dealers have no ability to wash it off--he said that if I buy that particular truck, I will just have to drive it until it burns itself off eventually or just find another one that had it washed off properly at the port. Manager says over the last few months, Toyota Japan has been applying the compound in heavier quantities that usual because due to the terrorism alerts, ships have been held off the coast longer than normal for inspection and documentation before being allowed in and there is more risk of corrosion.

I don't know if that was the same smell that some are experiencing, but this was what I experienced on one test drive. [I test drove another 4-runner a couple of weeks ago at another dealer and do not remember any bad smells on that one--but we did not turn on the A/C either]
  • Options
    rob222rob222 Member Posts: 49
    Anybody have a link to a 03 4-runner screensaver?
  • Options
    meemo87meemo87 Member Posts: 17
    There are three different head units for the JBL system in the 4runner. One for NAV, One for the 6-disc in dash and the other is a single disc. In Indiana you can get the 6 disc in dash on the Limited V8 but not the V6. There aren't any Limited V6's with the JBL set-up around here. The Sport V8's have the JBL system but not the 6 disc head unit. All the SR5's are equiped without the JBL stereo. This varies greatly by where you live.
  • Options
    fngfishfngfish Member Posts: 9
    I live in arizona and bought my 4runner at larrymiller for 500 over invoice. talk with mike cameron in fleet sales. He was the best there was no haggleing. He went out of his way to get the vehicle I wanted from another dealer. I didn't get good vibes from some of the other big dealers here in phoenix. good luck chris
  • Options
    khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Hi all. I'm posting this to give ammunition and reassurance to those fighting odor problems.

Our '03 4Runner Limited V8 10/02 build has no odor problem whatsoever. It had none when it was new, and has none now at 5200 miles. it produces no rotten egg smell, no burning smell, no unususal odors at all. I've used Shell, Mobil and Marathon gas ranging from 87 octane regular through 93 octane premium. I live in Lansing, MI.

They DON'T all do that. Bad odors are NOT a normal feature of 2003 4Runners.

Best of luck in your negotiations. I'm sorry to hear that Toyota and some of its dealers have chosen to address a problem by denial rather than action. This is SO short-sighted!

-Karl
  • Options
    mb0526mb0526 Member Posts: 11
    This is in response to the write-ups on the stinch that the new 2003 V8 4Runner is producing. I posted about 1 1/2 months back on this issue but no-one really responded. I too bought a 2003 V8 Sport Edition 4Runner in November of 2002. I have told the dealership many times about the horrific and embarassing smell but they also gave me the run around about fuel additives/spray from Japan. They just called me about a TSB put out on the subject saying that is was fuel additives causing the problem and they could do nothing about it. I have never owned a vehicle with this type of problem and I have owned a lot of cars over the 20 years I have been driving. I have also thought about going through the lemon law. Please let us all know how your case turns out.

Thanks,
    Michael
  • Options
    Thanks to Michael, Karl, rokink, and carattorney for your input. It is appreciated.
  • Options
    thank you to anybody else I may have missed
  • Options
    The coating they put on the vehicles to prevent corrosion during transport is called 'cosmoline', I believe. Every new car I've purchased (given they were all foreign - 2 Japanese and 1 German, I imagine they were all shipped) has had this and it does emit a smell when the car is new and the engine gets warm. It's somewhat sulfur-like, but nothing like the rotten egg smell described.

I've got about 590 miles on my V8 LTD, and the burning cosmoline smell is mostly gone now. No other bad smells coming from it, so I'm with Karl on this, it doesn't sound normal at all to get awful rotten egg smells.

As for where to buy one, I know Arizona is in the same region as Colorado. In fact, my vehicle was originally allocated to AZ, but got diverted here from the port by a dealer trade, because it was the only V8 LTD in Pacific Blue allocated to any dealer in the 6 state region at the time. Sounds like options will be pretty much the same through an entire region, and dealers can trade allocations within the region to get a specific vehicle, as long as it has the option packages you can find on Toyota's website. Otherwise it's special order and 4-6 months.

There are dealers in the Denver area that were willing to sell me one at invoice plus doc fee.