Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Internal air without turning on A/C?

bradpennockbradpennock Member Posts: 32
edited April 2014 in Nissan
There are times I am behind a smoking car and don't want to breath its fumes, but when I click on the internal air button the air conditioning automatically comes on.

I'd rather find a way to just switch to internal air and NOT have the air conditioning come on, but I can't find the right button or button sequence to push to get this to happen.

Ah, and I have the super swanky 2009 SL with Tech, Nav, and Premium packages.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    probably not too many vitamins in the ehaust fumes, but there are certainly a generous dose of minerals so at least you have that going for you.
    Ok --- if you hit the recirc button the ac will engage but you can adjust the temp of the air by moving the degree button to warm it to whatever you prefer.
  • Options
    bradpennockbradpennock Member Posts: 32
    As you can imagine, I DO NOT WANT the A/C to engage since that takes up more gas just to close off the outside air from coming in. Every OTHER car I've had has a way to shut off the outside air in a way that didn't engage the air conditioner.

I did a little digging and found this message thread on another Murano forum which better details the reason WHY the A/C comes on when we choose to shut off outside air:
    http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=378565&postid=4156000

It's the way Infiniti's are set up. Same with Nissans. The Murano I had before my EX was the same way. I believe the main reason they do this is if you have re-circulated air on (especially if it's cool or damp outside) then the inside air that you're breathing in and out gets damp, so without a/c on (which removes moisture from air) the air inside the car would get more and more moist, and would steam up the windows. Also if you press the front defogger button it automatically turns the a/c on to ensure it's blowing only dry air onto the front screen.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I am quite sure that the amount of extra gas needed to run the ac compressor for the times you need to filter out the noxious exhaust odor is negligible. And at least you are getting something in return for the investment --- easier breathing- definitely worth it.
This discussion has been closed.