Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Chrysler T&C & Dodge Caravan brake life expectancy!

18910111214»

Comments

• www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

If we want anything to be done with all these complaints about the brakes - YOU MUST FILE COMPLAINTS WITH National Highway Traffic Safety.

I just replaced my brakes for the 3rd time with 45,000 miles on 2008 van.

I had 1 mil left on the brakes with very little warning!!! The repair shop said I could have been in an accident from brake failure. I have two small children - this van is dangerous!

Chrsyler refuses to acknowledge the problem and after an hour on the phone with them - the rep told me that only NHTSA has the power to do another recall on the brakes!!!!!!

My van is out of warranty and they WILL DO NOTHING TO HELP ME.

Every complaint is researched and acknowledge. Even if it was awhile ago - you must report it!!!! Chrsyler is not giving them the information.
  • I had to do a brake and rotor replacement on my 2008 T&C.

I did the work myself.

In using EBC Green Stuff Pads I found that the part number for a 2008 T&C is the same as for a Jeep Wrangler 3.8 and a Dodge Nitro 3.7. Both of these vehicles weigh less than the T&C. This could be why the brakes wear out so fast.

I used EBC DP71798 pads in the front and DP61840 in the rear.

EBC slotted and dimpled rotors. Front GD7442, Rear GD7443.

Also installed new hardware from rockauto.com.

Raybestos H5774A Disc Hardware Kit Front qty 1
    H5819A Disc Hardware Kit Rear qty 1
    H15176 Caliper Bolt Front qty 2
    H15234 Caliper Bolt Rear qty 2

Got Speed Bleeders from https://ssl.zoovy.com/c=RRXvJj9QZX0RlN7CQORNdB38l/s=www.speedbleeder.zoovy.com/

This makes bleeding the brakes and easy one person job.

I used the Stainless Steel ones model SB1010-SS

And flushed the low quality brake fluid that came on the van (this is what is causing the calipers to freeze up) with ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, (very high boiling point).

When you use the Blue you can see that the old has been flushed out. They also make an amber with the same specs so that the next fluid change you can see when the blue has all been flushed out.

Last but not least go to Autozone and borrow brake setting tools for the rear brakes.

You will need some lube for the caliper pins and neversieze (spell?) for the bolts and on the hub surface where your rims touch the rotor.

Google how to change brakes on a 2008 T&C.

Took me two hours by myself including the brake bleed.

I was lucky in that my brakes went before 12,000 miles. I also received a letter from Chrysler saying they would pay for front brakes under warranty (12,000 or one year). I billed them for the for fronts, plus labor at the dealer rate. I got a check less about $2.00 for the repair.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,226
    Just to add something here. Car & Driver just summed up their long-term test with a Honda Odyssey. It also had braked problems, including warped rotors. So its not just Chrysler!

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• What does Honda Odyssey brakes have anythong to do with Chrysler brakes???
    Exactly nothing. Which is the point. All manufacturers have their problems. Read the whole thread (and the other threads on this same subject) and see for yourself all of the "Chrysler sucks" and "I'll never buy another chrysler" and similar comments. So I find it very interesting when the manufacturer at least half of those people would flock to for a replacement has the exact same problem.

• There may be many things in common we do not know about.

And there is now ONE report of problems with one Odyssey that we know about, against how many T&C's and law suits, globally?

Don't try to belittle the T&C brake problem just because another car is reported with warped rotors. Lot's of cars end up with warped rotors sooner or later, that does not mean the model have huge brake issues, like the T&C does.
    "Huge" issues that are solved by NOT using OEM parts. I've never owned a car that did NOT have a recurring problem with at least one OEM part.

I'm not belittling it, but I'm also not blowing it out of proportion like some other posters.

• bobc5bobc5 Posts: 8
    Not to argue against your point but I have tried from the expensive to the cheap aftermarket parts on this problem and so far have not had any success. Both rear calipers were recalled on my van and as you know from another post I have replaced the fronts now.

I replaced the front calipers on the advice of a "Dodge Expert" who claims that they have a "known" problem with the front calipers not being bad but hanging a little to much and not releasing. I have around 2500 miles on the brakes now and will check them again at 5k. We will see what happens.

Every car is only a machine and yes all machines will eventually have problems despite the best marketing of the manufacturer. Dodge under engineered brakes on a FAMILY vehicle. To me that is next to a crime and may actually be one if people lose their lives due to that fact. The last place anyone should cut costs is the brakes.
    I'm sorry to hear that. So you replaced the rotors with aftermarket units? Which ones?

If you keep having a problem no matter what you install, I also wonder if, as you posted a while ago, the wheels are causing cooling problems for you.

• KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Solicitation by attorneys or anyone else, particularly for lawsuits, is expressly prohibited by the Edmunds.com Membership Agreement, and any such posts will be removed.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • focuspullerfocuspuller Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    I had to change my front rotors and pads on my 2008 T&C at just under 12,000 miles. I was in luck as I did the work myself and was able to bill Chrysler. Since I did the work (free labor) and get non OEM parts, EBC Green Stuff Pads with slotted and dimpled rotors for less than OEM, the cost for 4 wheels was less than Chrysler doing the fronts only...$628.00.

Submitted the bill with the form they sent me and go all but $2.58 back.

Now for the other....The Brake Fluid Chrysler uses is of poor quality. Mine was dark brown with under 12,000 miles. I upgraded to ATE TYPE 200 Amber Brake Fluid. I got a set of "Speed Bleeders" (http://www.speedbleeder.com/), and now change my brake fluid in under 30 minutes myself.

The poor quality brake fluid that Chrysler uses causes the calipers to rust inside and hangup.

After 20,000 plus miles on the EBC brakes I have more than half left.

The stopping power of EBC components is great.
    edited January 2013
    I figure it is about time to follow up on this. It has now been nearly 9 months and about 18k miles on the cquence rotors and amazon pads. All is still good.

• Several moms at school have the new Odyssey and have nothing but praise for their new vans. Haven't heard any recalls for Odysseys.
    edited January 2013
    If you haven't heard, it is only because you aren't listening.

It is actually difficult to find a vehicle that doesn't have recalls, if not near impossible, at least from the major brands. If you'd like to know the list for any particular year Odyssey, let me know. Here is just the very latest campaign.

• This forum is regarding brakes. The link is for Odyssey air bags - not the same or relevant. My T&C has had 2 air bag recalls - so what's your point? Show me a massive recall from any car regarding premature brake failure.
    edited January 2013
    You said you haven't heard of any recalls for the Odyssey. I was answering. I didn't realize you were talking about just brakes, as your statement didn't specify.

Is there a recall for the T&C brakes? I hadn't heard or read that. Do you have a link or a recall letter?

• The whole thread is called "brake life expectancy".
    SMH. Yes there was a brake recall awhile ago, about 20,000 miles. Google it. Covered replacing front brakes with a $100 deductible. Dodge and Jeep (Chryler products) also have had brake issues.
    edited January 2013
    I did google it. Found nothing. A recall doesn't typically involve a deductible because a recall is a safety issue and MUST be fixed. If you have a link, I'd appreciate if you could provide it. Maybe I'm actuall owed something.

The older recall you speak of, I believe, was this:
    The recall applies to some 2010 model year Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger sedans; Dodge Nitro, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Commander and Grand Cherokee SUVs; and 2009 and 2010 model year Ram trucks.

And that affected just 24,000 vehicles. Far fewer than the 412,000 Honda Odysseys and Elements (2007-2008) that had a brake recall.

I want to stress, again, that I'm not trying to belittle the brake problem. I just want people to be honest with themselves and not blow it out of proportion or fool themselves into thinking this is some sort of isolate Chrysler problem.

• tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    Our '10 T&C just turned over 30k miles with original brakes. The fronts still look good, but rears were getting kinda thin, so I changed those out with NAPA hybrid ceramic pads. Rotors looked ok, but changed them to NAPA premium rotors, as well (they had a good sale going on). Will probably do the front brakes at the next oil change/tire rotation (every 5k miles). I do all the work. This is our fourth Chrysler minivan. I knew before buying this one I would be doing brake jobs, but others had to be done every 20-25k miles. This one isn't bad, especially considering it is a 4,500 lb vehicle that is subjected to lots of stop-and-go driving. So far, so good!
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    While I have posted rather positive comments regarding the brakes on our 2010, I must mention something that happened this past week. The small parking brake pull off spring on the back of the right rear caliper snapped in half. Caused parking park to be "on," so serious drag on that wheel. This happened before I changed out the pads and rotor on that side, but shortly after I rotated the tires. Fortunately, it was discovered after a short drive, but even so the brake was pretty hot. Spring is dealer part. Out of stock, and only one left in the metropolitan area. Got that one the next day. Used small spring found in tool box as temporary repair, replaced that one with new one when it came in and ordered another new spring for the other side (do one, may as well do the other, eh?). Spring was pretty corroded. New spring looks to be glavanized.
18910111214»