Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Article Comments - Super Sedan Showdown

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Once you get your hands on a supercharged 556-horsepower 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, you know that you need a 500-hp 2008 BMW M5 with which to measure it. It's a matter of practical science.

Of course, there's a sizable price difference between the $59,995 CTS-V and the $86,675 M5, and we don't want to get our comparison results skewed by mere money. Maybe we should add the 507-hp 2009 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG to our science project. Trouble is, this Merc's $86,875 price tag still doesn't put the CTS-V under any pressure.

Super Sedan Showdown

Comments

• porschecarreraporschecarrera Member Posts: 5
    Honest question here: Can someone explain why 7:59 is a lap record? Seems to me that a lap record implies the fastest lap time, but 7:59 is not the fastest time around the Ring. Is it a record lap for a CTS-V? :confuse:
  • draw007draw007 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, but the M-B is the Cats Meow. The side window chrome surroundings of the CTS-V wreak GM and their inferiority to euro design. Additionally, balls to the walls hp and torque figures aren't enough for me to convert to accepting an overpriced GM-made product.

Case (additionally) in point, ZR1.
  • ne1butu2ne1butu2 Member Posts: 21
    I never thought I'd see the day that a Cadillac would trounce the germans. I haven't driven the CTS-V, but I've driven the standard CTS. And I have to say that it's really good... maybe 95% there. The MB C63 is based on a marginal small sedan, has a cheap-o interior and an exterior with a goofy rear end. The 5-series is an ergonomic mess with interior styling derived from an ER. Visually, the 5's exterior carries itself like a cocky fat drag queen. So it begs the question, is the CTS-V good because it's really good? Or do I want one because these two Germans are so unappealing these days? I'm going to be anxious to see what the next RS-4 brings to the mix because I've pretty much written off MB and BMW.
  • Seven59Seven59 Member Posts: 1
    porschecarrera,
    7:59 is a lap record for a production sedan. Obviously, there are many classes of vehicles that test and develop at the Nurburgring. Here is Cadillac's May 9, 2008 press release regarding the Nurburgring time:

"2009 CTS-V Blisters Nurburgring.
    Breaks 8-minute barrier - potentially the fastest documented lap time for a production sedan

In testing today at Germany’s Nurburgring, Cadillac’s upcoming new 2009 CTS-V completed a lap of the legendary Nordschleife in 7:59.32. This blistering time appears to be the fastest ever publicly documented for a production sedan."

No other manufacturer has yet come out to challenge this statement.
  • sabastiansabastian Member Posts: 16
    I understand IL's logic in including the C63, but if you are going to test one of the smaller sport-sedans (that compete closer to its price point) against the CTS-V, why not include the M3 (which already beat the C63 in a comparison test). Sure, throwing the Caddy against two BMW's would have seemed odd, but I've seen the IL editors explain there way out of much weirder pairings (R8 vs Cherokee SRT-8 anyone?). The normal CTS has been compared with the 335i, so why not in this instance?
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    "So there you have it. My favorite wasn't even in this test."

Neither was mine. I'll take an M3 sedan with 6-speed manual.
  • thom2thom2 Member Posts: 2
    Nice try to boost GM's reputation when the company is about to tumble. Looks like GM wants to do some back door dog barking to save some face, but unfortunately no one is buying it.
  • aintmisbehavinaintmisbehavin Member Posts: 1
    blea blea blea, lick your wounds and tuck your tail. You got your doors blown again. Too bad they can build a car that will out perform your Euro sedans without breaking a sweat. Go Caddy, maybe that is why they are winning everything. :cry:
  • thom2thom2 Member Posts: 2
    those are not my sedans, i wish they are
  • lovecars5lovecars5 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry go spend another 30k for the inferior car. Not to mention cost american workers their jobs!!!! good call. If you like germany so much go live there!
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    I burst out laughing when I read draw007's post. Accusing the Caddy of being overpriced when comparing it to a MB, a German Chevrolet that's optioned out for the U.S market then priced for the gullible??
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    the truth hurts.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    Toyota should follow the C63 and stuff V8 the Corolla, then MBZ would have a car to compare to.

C63. The Germans won't even use that ridiculous little car for a Taxi.

LOL
  • storm10storm10 Member Posts: 261
    Germans don'y use Porsche for Taxi either...
  • rlb4rlb4 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me whether the panoramic sunroof creates additional heat inside the car? I am considering buying a new E350 and am undecided about a regular sunroof and a panoramic one. I live in the deep south so heat is an issue in the summer.