Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• john_dodejohn_dode Member Posts: 15
    It seems like this is off topic from 4Runners, but I have to respond to carattorney and his discussion of his "BLACK" truck. Also, using all caps for BLACK is more almost more annoying than martin45 and his whining. Doh!

First, you live in Phoenix. You get an average of 7.6 inches of rain a year. I live in Philadelphia. We have an average of 41 inches of rain and 21 inches of snow a year. So don't even begin to say that black cars look cleaner than others until you actually have some weather to deal with. I agree that black looks great, and if I had 3 straight weeks of sun I would consider black. But when it rains every other day, I'd rather get a color that can mask the rain, snow, and mud. And when it is 10 degrees outside, I really don't wash my car as much as I would like.

Second, anybody who has taken high school physics knows that a darker color absorbs more light and thereby more thermal energy than a lighter color, which is able to reflect some of the light. Now, I'm not saying there is a drastic difference in temp between the two and for most people it doesn't make a difference. So if that is what you are arguing, than I agree. But if you are arguing that a black car with a black or gray interior doesn't get hotter than a white or silver car with a tan interior, than I would have to disagree. If you need to learn about this first hand, you can do the high school experiment on the following page and get back to us:

http://www.nmsea.org/Curriculum/4_6/Interaction/Interaction_light- _matter.htm

Or if you want straight figures, the National SAFE KIDS campaign has figures on the temperature inside a car depending on the color of its interior:

http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/content3/news3/temperatures.sa- fety.all.html

JD
  • yomolsyomols Member Posts: 24
    I agree with you on Elways no haggle,I was just looking at it as a place to start. I have a Weather Tech cargo mat on a Mitsub. Montero Sport. Have had it for 6 years and have hauled bricks, firewood, top soil, etc. and it has held up great. I would definitely recommend it.Also have their floor mats. They are about 10 years old and will probably never wear out. Thet are a little industrial looking but they sure do the job. I'll keep you posted on purchase of the 4 runner, pls do the same if you pursue it.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    That might be the most diplomatic reply I have ever read on this, or any other message board. Nice job. In Alabama, black is hotter than a fire cracker, but it's a wet heat. ;-)

Don't get me wrong, black as a vehicle color is great, just not in the southeast US for one. Somewhere I read that they won't even paint a substandard car black in Japan because the color is so revered.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Ain't nothing nicer looking than a nice shinny black car/truck with tinted windows and nice alloy wheels. Yes they get dirty, but white is just as bad or worse and white doesn't look half as nice.
  • morrymorry Member Posts: 24
    I was lucky that my hitch fit perfectly when I picked up my 4Runner. Now the problem...how can I get a drop of about 4-5 inches if another hitch won't fit?

Has anyone replaced their backup bulbs with brighter ones? Where can get them?

Thanks,
    Morry
  • passthegravypassthegravy Member Posts: 17
    White doesn't show dirt nearly as bad as black does. Not even close.
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    I traded a silver Highlander for a galactic gray 4runner. The gray, in my opinion, is a little worse at showing dirt than the silver was, but is not as bad as black or dark blue. I really wanted a silver or light blue Runner but couldn't find one with rear air suspension. However, I am very happy with the gray, but I wash it more. I like black vehicles when they are clean, but I don't live in Phoenix! In fact, I have to park in a gravel lot, so dust is prevalent.

My hitch receiver was also tight. I could get the Toyota hitch in, but it was a bear to get it back out. After a few times it worked OK (I probaby should have tried filing the receiver as some have suggested). However, I needed the ball to be lower for my pop-up trailer--the Toyota hitch is straight. I was able to find one with a 2" drop at an RV dealer but he had to saw off the back of it because of the spare tire. It was also tight at first, but after installing and removing a few times it works OK now. My Colorado State U. hitch plug works fine--it is not tight at all. Unfortunately, probably most people that see it wonder why I have a Dodge Ram hitch plug in my Toyota. Oh well, I plan to retire in a year or two to either Boise (Steve--it would be nice not to have to wash my Runner very often!) or Fort Collins--if Fort Collins at least people should recognize the hitch plug as a CSU Ram.

I got the Husky cargo liner (the one that is made to fit over the folded down cargo shelf. It works fine. Also used the Husky liner for the back seat. IMHO, though, the Toyota all weather mats look best in front--they fit exactly, accept the anchor hook, and even say "4Runner".
  • barbarian71barbarian71 Member Posts: 11
    This quote sums it all up, I don't know where it came from but it says it best...

"Dirtiest car in the world is a black car, but the cleanest car in the world is a black car..."
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    This is a recall for some 4Runners from the Southeast Toyota Distributor. They tend to put a lot of garbage on the cars to jack-up the price. Looks like someone didn't do their homework. The following is from NTHSA's web site.

"Make: TOYOTA Model: 4 RUNNER Year: 2003 Recall Number: 02V339000 Summary: ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FIVE FACTORY ALLOY WHEELS (MODEL 6934 AND 6936), WITH FACTORY LLAT, AND WITH PORT INSTALLED WR4, FOUR ALLOY WHEEL UPGRADE PROCESSED AT THE JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA PORT AND DISTRIBUTED BY SOUTHEAST TOYOTA DISTRIBUTORS IN THE STATES OF ALABAMA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, NORTH AND SOUTH CAROLINA, WHEN THE VEHICLES WERE PROCESSED AT THE PORT, AN ALLOY TIRE/WHEEL UPGRADE WAS INSTALLED. THE UPGRADE INCLUDED 4 ALLOY WHEELS. THE ORIGINAL SPARE TIRE/ALLOY WHEEL WAS NOT CHANGED. THE SPARE TIRE REQUIRES THE USE OF A DIFFERENT STYLE OF WHEEL NUT TO ATTACH IT TO THE VEHICLE. Consequence: IF THE SPARE TIRE/WHEEL IS INSTALLED ON THE VEHICLE USING THE WHEEL NUTS PROVIDED FOR THE UPGRADE ALLOY WHEEL, DAMAGE TO THE WHEEL COULD RESULT AND COULD EVENTUALLY LEAD TO A LOOSE WHEEL. Remedy: OWNERS WILL BE PROVIDED WITH DIFFERENT STYLE LUG NUTS, A WARNING LABEL FOR THE SPARE RE/ALLOY WHEEL, AND AN OWNER’S MANUAL ADDENDUM. Notes: N/A"
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Those are not 4runners, they are Highlanders.
                               ; )
                            Mackabee
    I got the information about the recall from a 4Runner forum. What makes you think the recall is for Highlanders?

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=4de88375e46488a38b- a20b1796272d23&threadid=421
  • john_dodejohn_dode Member Posts: 15
    It is a 4Runner recall.

The NHTSA states that it affects 176 trucks, so it seems like a problem specific to the region, as indicated by "WHEN THE VEHICLES WERE PROCESSED AT THE PORT"

JD
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Mackabee was joking! :-)

tidester, host
    OK, I get it. Very funny. : )

--------------------

(176 trucks, not too much of a recall.)
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    are Highlander model numbers.
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    6936 = 4x4 limited HIGHLANDER
    6934 = 4x2 limited HIGHLANDER

or any model # starting with 69 will be Highlander

4RUNNER model #'s start with 86.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Sorry I've been away for a few days.

I bought my 4Runner through carsdirect.com. Their local affiliate is John Elway Toyota in Englewood (unfortunately, that's the far side of town from me, but they did get the color and options I wanted in the timeframe I wanted), and they work through the fleet sales there. I believe carsdirect's prices are a lot better than Elway's no-haggle price, so at least check there or other online sites as a sanity check before you do anything. I don't know if Elway does a no-doc-fee on their normally sold vehicles, though.

Overall carsdirect was a pretty good experience, but if I were to do it over again I'd probably get completely outside financing, despite their protestations about a particular lender. Chances are someone else has as good a rate.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide reports the same recall for both the 4Runner and the Highlander. I think we get recall info from the NHTSA site, so if there's something kaflooey, it's probably due to wrong data base input somewhere.

In any event, check your lug nuts.

Steve, Host
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Guys n gals -
    I've long been a 4Runner fan, but don't have one. I was stupid and didn't sign the papers on an 02 sport back in sept cuz I wanted to see the 03's - now I wished I wouldve as it was a great deal.
    Anyway - question is I have found 2 '00 4Runners - both black with sport pkg / sunroof / certified / ~36,000 miles for about 23k. This is a great looking truck!
    Questions:
    1) What maintenance is due or coming up (big stuff)?
    2) I know the '01's got VSC, Trac, and EBD.... do you think it's "worth it" to wait till I find an '01 instead? I don't think I really "need" these (also, does the '01 4wd model come with Trac? just curious)
    3) Anything else that is a big change from 00 to 01?
    4) Any tips/pointers for when I go look at these 2 vehicles?

Thanks!
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Thanks Steve and Chorton.
                    : )
                      Mackabee
  • forerunnerforerunner Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone plugged in a brake controller in their 2003 4runners.
    The new hitch comes pre-wired with a harness(in glove compartment) ready to be plugged in under the driver's side and able to recieve a brake controller. The problem is most brake controllers have 4 wires and the toyota wiring harness has 5. Which of the five wires is not used. Anyone help?????

Okay, I have a problem with my new 2003 4Runner. It hates my groceries.

Twice now it has brutally ejected portions of a bag of groceries onto the unforgiving concrete of my garage floor. While some items survived, in the first incident a container of sour cream suffered a compound fracture accompanied by release of a small amount of product. The last incident last night was much more heinous. A glass jar of yummy chili stir-fry sauce shattered, its eviscerated corpse exanguinating it's garlicy, spicy contents all over my garage. While it gave my garage a pleasant odor, it was undesirable.

So other owners, I beseech you, how do you keep your groceries in the cargo area of your 4Runner? I usually keep the shelf down, which may contribute to there being a drop-off, allowing groceries that have shifted during transport to fall out when the liftgate is opened. However, with the shelf up, I could see it falling even further, and causing even more carnage. Putting the cargo net across there seems kind of extreme and obtrusive just for groceries, but is it my only option? How do I stop the wholesale slaughter of my innocent foodstuffs?
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    If you got the shelf use the cargo net! This meght help
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    The cargo net that fits across the rear hatch opening and holds bags is a joy! It's easily installed and removed, convenient and holds an incredible number of full plastic grocery bags.

-Karl
  • passthegravypassthegravy Member Posts: 17
    Roll the tailgate window down and either reach in and get your groceries out, or at least make sure they won't roll out the back if you open the tailgate. (Note: Sure would be nice if Toyota would make the remote RAISE the window too.)
  • tacovivatacoviva Member Posts: 116
    My Maintenance req'd light flashes on start up for about 5 seconds. It has 5k miles on it and I suspect it's for the oil service. I changed the oil at 3k. Please don't tell me the "Dealer" has to reset this thing! Anyone know?
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    No you don't have to go to the dealer. It explains how to reset it in the owner's manual. I reset mine and it simply involved turning the key while holding down the trip reset or something like that.

-Eric
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    The big maintenance is at 30,000 and 60, 000 miles. I am not sure about the yr differences. I just traded in a 99 SR5 (pretty much loaded w/diff lock, sunroof, hitch, cd player, sport seats, etc..). I just bought an 02 Limited and the differences were the VSC, great 4WD system,leather seating surface, heated seats and it seems to have less road noise?
  • chris_in_boisechris_in_boise Member Posts: 18
    I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do have a question for you (sneaky, huh?).

With your new hitch, how much distance is there between the end of the hitch and the spare tire? I've got one of the old hitches, and it's easy to run out of room. Thanks.
  • forerunnerforerunner Member Posts: 5
    Funny you should ask. First thing I did when I got my truck home last week, was to try fitting my hitch. I had heard some complaints about guys not being able to fit their hitch and I was anxious to test it out myself. Turns out my hitch fits like a glove. It just barely touches the spare tire when I slip the steel bar through the hole to attach the pin. I guess the easiest thing to do if it bumps against the spare is to cut some extra off.
        Hope that helps. Now get me an answer to my question and we'll be even!
  • dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    I keep a cardboard box in the back. Not a tall one, but it covers about 1/3 of the rear area. I put the groceries that are likely to roll about, i.e. mayo, pickles, etc in the box. It is also great for my son's helmet, knee pads, etc.- keeps them from rattling around back there. If I decide to pick up something big on the way home, such as a TV or ?, I can simply trash the box and get another later.
    Looks like I have 3 options...

1) cargo net
    2) roll down window to check
    3) some type of low-cut box in the cargo area
  • drivelexusdrivelexus Member Posts: 2
    i am reading that the remote doesn't allow to roll the window up. Is there an option on this car where you can insert the key in driverside door and it opens/closes all the windows. The reason I ask is because in my Lexus RX when I forget to close the sunroof, I can do this.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    I have a 2002 Limited and was wondering if I can somehow program the remote (I don't think that the Limiteds have the Vip 3200 alarm) to lock/.unlock the doors as I could on my 99 that had the Vip 3200 alarm system? I know that it has the factory security light gizmo,but, was wondering if I had to buy the alarm pkg in order to get my doors to do this...I miss this feature (especially ayt night)...And, I do not want to have to buy the alarm pkg:(
  • tacovivatacoviva Member Posts: 116
    Thanks for the Maintenance tip Eric. Sometimes it's easier to ask on this board than read the manual. Cheers to all in the forum.

Steve
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Okay, let me see if I have this right. For the SR5, Toyota uses the gray colored cladding and finds the public doesn't really like it. So they offer an "appearance package" for $370(?) to get body colored cladding. Then within two months they announce they will stop the gray cladding all together and offer a $750 incentive on models with the gray cladding. Do I have this right?

Seems like anyone paying for the appearance package wouldn't be too happy. Plus how will they sell an 'appearance package' for vehilces on the lot when there is no charge now? (I know the appearance package also includes fog lights).

Also, does anyone know if there are additional incentive on the 4runner now, besides the $750 for the cladding?
  • delguydelguy Member Posts: 43
    I think there is a $400 incentive on the Limiteds. Perhaps others, but that's all I've looked at. Watch carsdirect.com at the end and beginning of the month. Then check a week into the month. That might give you an idea.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Fellas, if you fold down the rear seats, can you, theoretically, have a good sleep in a 4Runner?

And what's the distance between the back of front seats and the tailgate, from inside the vehicle? Thank you!
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    There were measurements somewhere I found that told the floor length, I don't remember where. I don't know what it is, but I know it's less that 6 (six) feet by more than a couple of inches. I have never tried, seeing as I am picking up my 4runner today (I have to drive from San Diego to L.A. about 9:00 this morning to go pick it up). This is one thing I was interested in, so when I get it home I'll measure it and let you know! If someone can do that before me, that'd be great!

-Jared
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    My wife and I checked this out. It depends on your height, and perhaps on how far forward the front seats are adjusted. If I recall correctly, your feet will be against the bottom of the 2nd row seat bottoms, which are tilted up and forward. If you adjust the front seats forward farther, you may be able to tilt the 2nd row seat bottoms farther forward and gain more room.

Bottom line, I think the max room was perhaps 5 ft. 9 inches plus.

That's the best I can do from memory. I'd like to hear what folks find for certain.
    The cargo area with the 2nd row seats down. 5' 9.5" from the tailgate where it closes to the bottom of the 2nd row folded seats. The back of the front seats is probably another 4 or 5 inches beyond that, but you'll hit the seat bottoms before you hit the back of the front seats.

Not terribly comfortable if you're 6'1".
    Some more questions, if you don't mind.

Vodgut, do I understand you correctly, that the actual distance inside the 4Runner from the tailgate to the back of the front seats is about 6'3 - 6'4?

As far as hitting 2nd row folded seat bottom before hitting the back of the front seats, how much does the 2nd row folded seat bottom stick out from the floor? I figure, if it's not by much, then something like a carpet (or a small futon, if the 2nd row folded seats stick out too much) could be used to level the floor completely from the end of the tailgate to the back of the front seats.

What do you think, is that possible?
    The actual distance inside the 4Runner between the rear tailgate and the back of the passenger rear seat, with the seat pushed FULLY forward is 6 ft. 10 in. However, there's still the 2nd floor folded seat bottom at the 5ft. 9in. mark, and that sticks up a full 10 inches from the rear load floor it abuts. That seat bottom is 5 inches across at the top, and with the front seat fully forward, there's just a big 8 inch gap that goes all the way to the floor between the 2nd floor seat bottom and the back of the front seat.

Straight from the back of my '03 4Runner - I just measured these.
    Vodgut, thank you for such a detailed account of the interior dimensions! From what you've said it appears that if one would take a futon which is 5'9 long and 10 inches high, and place this futon between the tailgate and the folded 2nd row seat bottom (which sticks out, as you've mentioned, at 5'9 mark, if measured from the tailgate), then there would be an absolutely flat surface which is 6'10 long and runs from the tailgate to the back of the front seats. Is that correct?
    If you found something that was 10 inches high, or sloped up to 10 inches high, you could do this. Remember that you'd also have to fill in the 8 inch gap between the back of the front seat and the 2nd row seat bottom to get the full 6'10", otherwise you'll only have 6'2".

I can probably take a digital pic soon here and show you what I mean....
    Yeah, it's not a problem, as long as space is available one can always put some sort of a box and cover it with something soft.

But let me see if I got this right. From where the bottom of folded 2nd row seats sticks out to the beginning of the 8-inch gap (between folded 2nd row to the back of front seats) there's a 3-inch space? I can't figure out how 5'9 becomes 6'2 :-)
    5'9 plus 5 inches becomes 6'2...gotta love English units. The 5 inches represents the thickness of the seat bottom.

There's 5'9 between the tailgate and the rear-facing bottom of the 2nd row seats. There's 5 inches of seat bottom, bringing it to 6'2. Then there's an 8" gap between the top of the folded 2nd row seat bottoms and the back of the fully forward passenger's seat, bringing that to 6'10" in total length at a height of 10" above the rear load floor.

Here are two pics, one from the passenger's rear door, one from the tailgate:

http://www.lethean.net/4Runner/conv_new-DSCN1448.JPG

http://www.lethean.net/4Runner/conv_new-DSCN1449.JPG

I only bothered to fold the passenger's side. If the front seat were fully back, it would touch the top of the vertically positioned 2nd row seat bottoms, but as is depicted there's about 8 inches between them.

Hope this helps clarify.
    You know what they say, it's better to see once than to hear a hundred times. Now it's perfectly clear!

Another question :-) Is it possible to completely remove the seats of the 2nd row? The backs fold flat very nicely, and if the actual 2nd row seats (which on your pictures are resting against the back of the front seats) could be completely removed, then there would be 6'2 inches of space (with a very small gap) between the tailgate and the back of the front seats.
  • rollie3rollie3 Member Posts: 13
    My wife and I have slept in our last two runners very comfortably. Our new 03 sport back seats are attached like earlier models so they can be removed in less than 5 minutes. First lift back seat bottom up toward back of front seat. Remove the two machine bolts [each seat] which attach seat to floor. A socket wrench will remove the four screws in a minute or two. when sleeping slide front seats forward and you will have over seven feet of length. We place camping gear, cloths bags, etc. in hole created by removing seat to level the area. This works great for us but we don't have anybody traveling with us that might like to have a seat to sit on.