Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Because the majority of Americans refuse to pay more for their goods just because it's made in the U.S.A. They don't believe it benefits them so they buy whatever is cheaper. Otherwise Wal-Mart wouldn't be so successful.
  • Options
    hoyafanhoyafan Member Posts: 48
    I've looked and there are afew FFH's for sale on eBay. That might be an option to consider for some that would like to buy right away but can't find any in stock at local dealers.

Also, here is a link to one that is a base model (no moonroof). I post it only because the comment was made that most are being made with the 501A or 502A packages (which is true as far as I can tell). This one has only the 500A and is thus not as loaded or expensive. I am in no way associated with the dealer - just putting it out there in case someone is looking for a less expensive option or doesn't want a moonroof. Dealer is in Tennessee

Type the following item number in ebay: 320372084933
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I pulled the trigger on a fully loaded white FFH over the weekend. Was able to get it for the A-Plan price plus got a fair value for my trade-in. It should arrive at the dealer within the next few days. It seems that the Dallas - Ft Worth area has a good supply of hybrid Milans/Fusions and negotiations were easier than I thought. Given the limited number that Ford will be building it seems that a significant number of the Fusions/Milans being delivered to dealers are hybrids.
  • Options
    hayley2hayley2 Member Posts: 44
    Has anyone had OEM Splash Guards installed on there Ford Fusion Hybrid or Mercury Milan Hybrid? :)
  • Options
    Given the limited number that Ford will be building it seems that a significant number of the Fusions/Milans being delivered to dealers are hybrids.

40% for April.
  • Options
    bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    Just priced on with about the same options my Milian HB has and it came out to $34,300.00 It does look nice inside and much better on the outside than the old Prius. Still I am a happy camper. Gas in DC now up to $2.40 / gallon.

I am finally learning how to drive this car. It takes me about .2 of a gallon to get to work. I am getting 40-42 if I am in a mood to have fun. It is like playing a video game on my drive to work. I need a 3rd eye to keep up with all the gauges! :)
  • Options
    ckeiserckeiser Member Posts: 2
    Can I ask when you placed your order? We ordered our Milan Hybrid on 3/21. I called Customer Service this week for the status on our order, and were told we first needed to call the dealer for the VIN number. We were shocked and disappointed when the dealer told us it hasn't been assigned yet. Reading the forums, FFH's ordered in March have either been received, or are enroute to the dealers, and most April orders have VIN numbers already. Does anyone know if MMH orders are running way behind the FFH's? Could the dealer be mistaken?
  • Options
    acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I may be mistaken, but doesn't the Milan come off the same line as the Fusion? Maybe they run them in batches, and the Milans haven't hit the line yet?
  • Options
    We ordered a MMH on 3/3 and a vin # was assigned approx 2 weeks later. From the date ordered, we received delivery on 4/29 or approx 8 weeks after placing order. We love the vehicle and are averaging 40 MPG, mostly city driving. :)
  • Options
    Did Ford verify your retail order? If not then your order won't get build priority. Sounds like your dealer may have goofed.
  • Options
    Just searched all of the dealer inventories within a 50 mile radius of Washington DC, not a single MHB in sight. Gas just hit $2.50 a gallon here. I bet they can sell everyone they build. I am so glad I lucked out to get mine. Three months now and the dealer has yet to get another. I got a call as it was being unloaded and I purchased it 4 hours later!
  • Options
    ckeiserckeiser Member Posts: 2
    I have been worrying something like that may have happened. I have a copy of the order and number. I had no idea verification was required. I am wondering if my salesman didn't know this. I do know a fusion hybrid was delivered to his lot. When he placed my order, he told me mine was placed before the dealership order. Yet I have no VIN# and they have a delivered fusion hybrid. Something doesn't sound right...
  • Options
    Your unit should have been assigned a Vin # quite some time ago. At least within two weeks after order was placed. I was told by my dealer that priority was given to sold units as opposed to dealer orders which I understand are on allotment. Did your dealer require you to sign an Order and have you furnish your drivers license to be duplicated and sent to Ford with the order? I understand this is a requirement by Ford to place a sold order. I would ask your dealer to refer to this forum and see for himself how everyone else experience has been. Sounds like your salesman dropped the ball somewhere. :mad:
  • Options
    rrollrroll Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I m taking delivery in Montreal Canada of a loaded Briliant Silver Hybrid, grey interior. I would love to see some pics with your detaling. Any chance of you sending a few to robert@rroll.qc.ca Thx Rob
  • Options
    gth743bgth743b Member Posts: 13
    Its not the battery pack that causes the reduction. I have a 2010 SE and its still a 4 star on rollover and rear seat side impact, so it seems to be the same across the board.
  • Options
    rrollrroll Member Posts: 5
    Ths is a response to BIGT. First time posting & not sure how to get in touch. Please read #772 as I would love to see a pic of the the detailing which you did. Rob
  • Options
    tony1962tony1962 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Ford Fusion SE 2009. I am curious about the original factory radio. I have the Premium 6 disc/cd changer with 6 speakers. Does anybody know how many watts this system has, and the manufacturers that Ford uses. I want to add a subwoofer to this system.
  • Options
    tpsvtpsv Member Posts: 3
    This info may help some....

Ordered Milan Hybrid - 3/31/09
    Order verification by Ford Hybrid division - 4/1/09
    Asked dealer and got a VIN and build schedule - 3 weeks later
    Build complete confirmation - 5/2/09
    Delivered - 5/20/09

Driving......so far 400 miles mixed use city/highway
    Average on system - 37.2 mpg
    Trip mpg variation - lowest 32 to highest 46 (trips of 10+ miles each)
    Excellent navigation system and sync works great
    Really fun to drive with nice power and control
    Very very quite inside
    Sometime hear high pitch whine from electric motor but not much distraction...
    I hope reliability will be as good too:-)

Tej
  • Options
    I noticed that when I check the oil level like fifteen minutes or more after engine has been shut down, that the level shows just barely above the low mark on the dip stick. I checked this with my dealer and was told that it needs to be checked like five minutes after engine is shut down or it drains into the oil pan indicating oil level is low. The dealer says this is normal. None of my other vehicles indicated low level when I check even after 24 hours.

Just wondering if any of you new owners have experienced this and do you think it is normal? :(
  • Options
    I have not even looked under the hood yet. :)

I am wondering about the owners manual saying that you go 10,000 miles between oil changes. I am not sure I will be following that advice.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Sounds like your dealer is giving you a bunch of cr-p. The dipstick should go into the oil pan and sometimes it can say low right after you shut off as some of the oil is still in the engine but slowly drains back into the pan which than should show full. What the dealer is saying is completely opposite of what it should say. Maybe he misunderstood you, if not I'd find me a new dealer as that one sure wouldn't get anymore of my service.
  • Options
    WyattNicholsWyattNichols Member Posts: 55
    I checked my oil 1 hour after a short trip this AM and it was exactly the same place it has been the other 4-6 times I have checked it, right at full. Several of those checks were first thing in the AM. What your dealer said makes no sense. What does the manual say?

Yea, 10k is too long. I'm planning to change at 7.5k miles.

Turned over 3k miles today. The constant readout mpg just increased to 39mpg (I think that is for the last 2k miles). The long term mpg you see when you turn off the car is 38.8mpg.
  • Options
    I agree with the replies to my question on the oil level. I'm going to call Ford Customer Service Monday and see what they have to say. When I check just a few minutes after shutting down my engine, the oil level is at full, but 15 minutes later it is at the low end of dip stick. :(
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    The reason it is at or near full minutes after shutting off is because as the oil circulates it blows oil onto the dipstick making you think it is full. Check it after it sits overnight and BEFORE starting and if it is low then add oil till it hits the full mark.
  • Options
    I have checked the oil level after 24 hours and the level is at the mark on the bottom. I agree with you, and I don't understand why the Service Advisor tells me it is ok. I'm going to call Ford Cust. Service in the am and see what they tell me. I'm sure it will be what everyone else is telling me, that it is low on oil. We'll see. :(
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Stop driving the car until the problem is solved. If the oil level is at the bottom you can do tremendous damage to the engine in a very short period of time. I wonder if the wrong dip stick was installed in your engine. Ask to see the service manager. Your present service advisor is an idiot.
  • Options
    He meant the oil level on the dipstick is at the bottom of the acceptable range (meaning it's probably only a quart low). Won't hurt to drive it like that for a few days.
  • Options
    gth743bgth743b Member Posts: 13
    Did anyone else see this article?
    http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?Feed=PR&Date=20090428&ID=98- 46069&Symbol=F
    I was amazed that they were able to get that outside of DC.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    See messages around #681 from this forum....
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Well that is better than what I thought. Not correct though.
  • Options
    yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Fusion/Milan and Escape/Mariner Hybrids sold 3906 units in May-2009.

Probably Fusion/Milan Hybrid combination has overtaken Camry Hybrid sales.

After all, these 2 vehicles give nearly 40 MPG while Camry gives around 37 MPG.

Finally, Americans have learnt to make Excellent Hybrids.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    yerth10 says ,"Probably Fusion/Milan Hybrid combination has overtaken Camry Hybrid sales."

Possibly that is true, but the Camry hybrid probably sold around 3,000, and remember: it's a 3-yr-old model, while the Fusion/Milan are brand spanking new.

And I'm sure there are good number of people who might have been shopping both the Camry hybrid and the Fusion/Milan hybrids, but who decided to "hold off" and take a look at the 2010 Prius which is upcoming. The anticipation for the new Prius is hurting all other hybrid sales right now.

Brand new cars with "good buzz" usually have a sales spike.

Not to say they are not excellent cars, but before declaring them "excellent," why don't we give it a couple of years and let them get some good road miles under them, eh?

More competition from Ford helps Toyota work harder, so it's all good.
  • Options
    I wonder if they will increase production of Hybrids? Interesting comment that I have to agree with:

“Consideration for our new products is increasing,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, Sales
    and Marketing. “Even as the competitive environment intensifies, Ford’s relentless pursuit of
    quality, fuel efficiency, smart technology and appealing designs is winning new customers.”

I agree, folks are starting to take note of this. If Ford is going to strike this is the time.

I must admit that I am confused why the over 50% drop in the Focus. Even the Taurus is 50% off. I actually like how the new Taurus looks.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/May09sales.pdf

It is funny how the marketing guys can swing the figures. They are at a 36% vehicle drop from last year. However I use to work in Army recruiting and I know how to make the lines on the chart go up. :)

I was reading about GM and how it started going down one it started sharing platforms and the cars uniqueness disappeared. Perhaps that can explain why the Mercury Grand Marquis is still selling. Brand loyalty you think due to uniqueness?

I know I posted a lot in this mail.

Three months, 3k mileage on my Milan HB, 36 mpg overall with spurts up to 45 mpg. No issues, and not one Milan HB has showed up at one of the largest Mercury dealers in Maryland. Where are they?
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I must admit that I am confused why the over 50% drop in the Focus. Even the Taurus is 50% off. I actually like how the new Taurus looks.

50% drop in Focus because gas is $2.50 not 4.50. Americans have short memories. Good thing we have CAFE to mandate what car you want, right? Losers.

The 50% off Taurus is still the old Taurus, the new one isn't on the street yet as far as I know. It looked pretty sharp that the Chicago auto show, kind of Acura TL-ish in the front, while the Fusion strikes me as TL-ish in the back. I guess there are only so many ways you can draw lines on the front and back of a car.

They are at a 36% vehicle drop from last year. However I use to work in Army recruiting and I know how to make the lines on the chart go up.

Yeah they went from talking about vehicles sold to market share...I guess a bigger piece of a smaller pie balances things out a little? :confuse:
  • Options
    A bigger piece of the pie is always better regardless of the size of the pie. At some point overall sales will go back up and when they do Ford will see a significant jump in sales volume if they maintain their increased market share.

The fact that Ford saw a month over month improvement and had a "less bad" month than Honda or Toyota is significant. The fact that they did it while reducing incentives is even better. And they have yet to sell the MKT, Transit Connect, new Taurus and Ecoboost versions of the Flex and MKS, all due later this year.

Throw in the Fiesta which will be a new market segment for Ford plus a redesigned Explorer, Euro Focus, etc. and Ford should be sitting pretty at the end of 2010.
  • Options
    Not so sure about holding off on the 2010 Prius. I had an 07 Prius, and compared to the Fusion, it looked and felt cheap, Toyota had better start putting some better quality into their cars if they want to keep up with Ford. The plastics they use in the Prius is mainly recycled, and it looks it, very susceptible to scratching, especially the dash. Unless Toyota has improved on material quality, the 2010 may not be much better than the 07 was, it sure isn't any larger inside of any note.

The only real advantage the Prius has over the Ford, MPG, that's about it, it sure isn't quality anymore.
  • Options
    jeff_hjeff_h Member Posts: 20
    acdii: The only real advantage the Prius has over the Ford, MPG, that's about it, it sure isn't quality anymore.

I am about to part ways with my 2005 Prius (with 127,000 miles, so I've gotten my use) and have ordered a Fusion hybrid -- like you said, the MPG is better in the Prius but after driving the Fusion there is no comparison when it comes to ride quality.
  • Options
    feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    I am considering a 2010 Prius. I think many improvements have been made in the 3rd generation.

I hate to buy before I see/drive a Fusion hybrid. Saturday I went to the local Ford dealer. My wife and I walked all around the showroom, walked around the lot, looked at numerous cars, and not one salesman approached us.

Next i called another Ford dealer 25 miles away. No 2010 Hybrids, and none expected for "several months."

I then called another dealer, 50 miles away. He said they have none and do not know when the factory will begin 2010 assembly.

I once rented a Fusion, and was impressed with the vehicle. But the dealers are going to need to show a bit more interest. Plus there is still a tax credit for the Fusion. Get with it Ford!
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Prius. My 2005 model went 127,000 miles with only a couple problems, both of which were covered under my extended warranty. I was making the observation that to my wife and me, the ride in the Fusion was far comfier and we both rode front and back seats during the test drives. I have a carpooler that rides in the back seat everyday, so while for some that rarely ever have a backseat passenger, I have one regularly so it's important to me.

As for being ignored at the Ford dealership, what city and state was that in? I like to play the "Mississippi" game where I count "1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, etc" in my head to see how long they take to get to me. The first visit to the dealer made it to 12-Mississippi, I was almost over to the Fusions. We took a test drive in a regular Fusion (no hybrids on the lot, 2 were due-in) and that's all we wanted for that night, our only aim was to take a drive. The next time was just me going to back to place the order, and I got to 2-Mississippi and there was a guy there "hey there, can I help ya?" and I said no thanks I'm looking for (salesman's name). I should have started counting again because I wouldn't have made it past 6-Mississippi and there was another just as I had gotten halfway to the showroom... I made it past him, and like an NFL zone defense as soon as one broke off, there was another to pick up my moves. I finally made it past #3 to get into the door of the showroom and find my salesman, where we wrote up the papers to order the car. Sorry to hear your experience was like walking through a ghost town.

As for calling the dealer 25 miles away, they might have had none in stock at the time, but didn't they offer to special order one for you? I understand that you probably would not want to take them up on it without at least a test drive, but it's surprising that they didn't offer to order one for you as I think that's easy money for them with just watching the car come off the truck and doing PDI and then out the door it goes.

The other dealer (50 miles away) that said that they did not know when the factory would begin their 2010 assembly would have to be really out of touch. You should be able to (just like dealer should be able to) run a "build your own" online and then do an inventory search in their area. In fact, the dealer should have the capability to use their internal system and put in the car criteria and run a search within 500 miles. My Dad is retired and spends his time ferrying cars from one dealership to another (for a Toyota dealer), they do searches within their region all the time and my Ford salesman did a search for me to find my exact match and we decided we needed to order one. To hear that the dealer didn't know about any of this or not even know if the model was being built yet (I saw a window sticker with a build date of April, so there were probably some before that), wow that is surprising.

Well, whatever you decide on, be it Prius or Fusion or otherwise, good luck with it!
  • Options
    WyattNicholsWyattNichols Member Posts: 55
    Yeah,
    Several of us have commented on Ford's Fusion Hybrid advertisements, but no cars to buy.

The 2010s are out, each one of us who has a MMH or FFH has a 2010 car. My dealer has 2010 regular Fusions.

I've never driven a regular Fusion, but I suspect it would drive the same as the FFH.

If you can find a car to test drive, maybe a regular Fusion, you might want to special order a FFH so you get only the options you want. Many, but not all of the dealers are pre-ordering the FFHs with all the options because the demand is still high enough that FFH buyers will pay for options they don't need or want just to get the cars. Which means more profit for them.

Yesterday I read a review of the specs on the 2010 Prius and the FFH. There was very little difference between the two cars on interior dimensions. Now, I've never been in a 2010 Prius, but I drove a 2009 Prius for a week, and there is a big difference in the "feel" of the interior space, with the FFH "feeling" like an Accord. I know "feelings" aren't facts, but the Prius only felt a little bigger than my Saturn Ion. I suspect the Prius does have more trunk room than the FFH due to it being a hatchback.
  • Options
    I am still waiting on my 2010 FFH, but did test drive both the regular model (when they did not have a hybrid on the lot) and also a hybrid. They are both on the same chassis and suspension and drove very similarly (transmissions are different but that's not really noticeable), I thought the FFH may have drove a bit better but I was probably biased since I was finally getting to drive the hybrid version.

The Prius is versatile and you can flip down the seats that cram all sorts of stuff in it, so if that's one's interest it's probably the better move. For me it was the ride as well as the $1,700 tax credit which is not longer available with the Prius and softens the blow of the price differential.
  • Options
    feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    Thank you for the above comments.

We live in Utah, and there are other dealers not much further away. I plan to make a decision soon, and for that reason I would really like to drive a Fusion first. I like the tax credit, but thus far, the indication is the Ford dealers will add more than that to the MSRP. The Toyota dealer did not, plus they offered $2000 more for my trade-in than I expected.

Again, thanks .... I will not jump into either without a great deal more research. Actually, that is the phase I most enjoy.

I feel some urgency to proceed soon. I am absolutely convinced that gas will continue to get more expensive. Hybrids will become hard to find again, and the dealers will take advantage of the shortage. Plus, I feel congress will raise taxes .... that is the only way they will ever get the public into small electric vehicles. Yeah, I know, pretty pessimistic .... but that is what I foresee.
  • Options
    hoyafanhoyafan Member Posts: 48
    I would recommend anyone considering a FFH check out the Edmunds consumer reviews at: http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusionhybrid/2010/consumerreview.html

Rarely (if ever) have I seen such positive reviews for a vehicle. Out of 24 reviews to date, there is only one negative review. People are extremely happy with their FFH.

I would also encourage any FFH owners who have not added a review to do so...
  • Options
    I second the reviews, when I was looking to purchase a CUV, I read the reviews for the models I was interested in, and based on the consumer reviews, made my decision. It was for a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz, which also was highly recommended, and It turned out to be a really great CUV.
  • Options
    Ford decided to give build preference to confirmed retail orders (orders placed by consumers and verified by Ford) over stock orders. These retail orders also do not count against the dealer's allocation. This means you can order a FFH and be assured it will be built as soon as possible regardless of the dealer that ordered it.

Go drive a regular Fusion and if you like it and you want the hybrid then order the FFH. Because this doesn't count against their allocation (that runs out this month I believe so don't procrastinate) they should be willing to order one for you at no more than MSRP, sometimes a lot less. This is different from buying one off the lot.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    We bought a white 2010 FFH from dealer stock in Dallas, Tx about 3 weeks ago. When I was looking there were at least 10 Fusioin/Milan Hybrids in the metroplex area. If you go to the Ford website and put in any of the DFW zip codes (75204, 76210) you can see for yourself. They are selling well, but not flying off the lots. Those of you really interested might want to make the trip. We only have about 800 miles on ours, but it is a great vehicles so far.
  • Options
    fressersfressers Member Posts: 3
    What grade of gasoline needed in 2010 Fusion Hybrid.
  • Options
    highmiler650highmiler650 Member Posts: 75
    It is in the manual.
  • Options
    Almost positive it's 87 just like regular fusions.
  • Options
    fressersfressers Member Posts: 3
    tnx