Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Grand Cherokee Ignition Locked

ConfoConfo Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Jeep
96 Grand Cherokee.

Key won't turn in ignition. Followed manual (turning steering wheel while starting), and that worked, once. Had same problem later that day, and next time was harder before it worked. Tried this am, didn't work anymore (hesitant to use any more force. Thoughts?

Comments

• pedroman74pedroman74 Member Posts: 2
    did you ever figure out what waa wrong? My 99 has done the same thing.
  • len19len19 Member Posts: 3
    I ended up taking the entire lock cylinder out to replace. Was tricky getting to it, but once done, it wasn't all that bad.
  • schimmeyschimmey Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for a better solution also.. problem has happend to me about 5 times, yesterday it took me over an hour to finally get it unlocked by forcing steering wheel (I have actually gotten out of my car and pulled with all my might to get it unlocked) I am afraid I am going to break it for good.
  • anton510anton510 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Steering and Ignition lock won't turn.
    Tried hitting key lightly with hammer to see if it would turn. No luck!
    Also tried wrestling the steering left & right while trying to turn the key. Again no luck! Are there any other suggestions or tricks that anyone can recommend?
    If I grind off the tab on bottom of cylinder will it pull out?
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • lerxstrulzlerxstrulz Member Posts: 4
    This is a common problem with Chrysler vehicles. The cylinders get worn down and the keys won't contact them enough. There are two solutions:

1) Put the key in the ignition and give it a couple hard taps with a rubber mallet or your shoe and it should turn.

2) Remove the cylinder assembly and take it to a locksmith to get the tumblers serviced. Should cost you less than 20 bucks.
  • bvaneppsbvanepps Member Posts: 1
    2002 GC Overland....I'm always very patient with it and turn it really lightly until it works. Sometimes it takes 20-30+ tries but has started every time it has happened.

Happened first in September 2010 (135,000 miles) while on vacation in Door County. I had it repaired with a cylinder from an '02 from a junkyard because the shop could not get one before we had to leave. Now it's happening again, likely since it was not new. I see you can find them on the internet but I'm skeptical, I think I'll take your advice on the locksmith.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.