Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Odyssey Hydraulic pump noise

justthefactsokjustthefactsok Member Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Honda
I have an '07 Odyssey with the dealer installed tow package. Since new I have occasionally heard a whine like a hydraulic pump in distress after driving the interstate and slowing down at an exit or toll booth. Doesn't do it all the time and I've checked both PS and AT fluids and all are at the correct levels. Hard to get it to do it on a short drive to the dealer and it doesn't do it all the time, but seems to be getting both more frequent and louder. Tranny seems to shift and operate fine, but turning the steering wheel when at a stop seems to change both the pitch and volume of the noise. Power steering pump issue? I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the PS cooler that is part of the tow package.......have no earthly idea why they feel it is even necessary.

Comments

• kcm50kcm50 Member Posts: 2
    Had the same issue on my 2005. Dealer replaced power steering pump and high pressure hose associated with pump. This stopped the noise.

Recently my wife said the noise has returned. Going back to the dealer this week.
    A coworker had the same problem. Dealer had to replace power steering pump.

I don't know if this is something Honda is aware of. The mechanic had no trouble finding the problem.
  • justthefactsokjustthefactsok Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for posting your experience.......it seems to confirm my suspicions of the PS pump as the culprit. I have noticed a distinct lack of PS boost on a couple of these occasions, so that pretty much all points in the same direction. Just curious, but did either you or your co-worker happen to get the dealer-installed tow package with the power steering cooler? Trying to figure out if that is a contributing factor or not.
  • attendeeattendee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 without the tow package and my power steering pump is doing the same thing, sometimes it is almost impossible to turn the steering wheel when sitting still. The dealer says it will cost over $500.00 to replace.
  • justthefactsokjustthefactsok Member Posts: 3
    Sorry I neglected to post this sooner. The noise finally got bad enough in the hot summer weather that I took it in to the dealer. As soon as I pulled in the service bay the service rep said " you'd better get them to check your power steering pump while you're here", so the noise was pretty obvious. Turns out that Honda has a service bulletin on this and they replaced the PS fluid reservoir, a check valve, and 2 hoses. It cured the problem immediately and all has been fine for the past 8K miles. I think there was some sort of restriction (bad check valve?) that was starving the pump for fluid. It was covered under warranty and even if you've gone past the warranty mileage limit, I can't imagine how that repair could be more than $150.... unless of course it has gone on so long that the pump has been damaged.
  • antaggie1antaggie1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Odyssey(just under 60k miles) and had the same problem. No towing pkg but the noise was the same along with difficulty turning at slow speeds. The dealership recommended replacing the power steering pump. They called Corporate and agreed to cover 75% of the cost. Howerver, after
    seeing the stories here, I wonder if it shouldn't have been a recall which
    cost me nothing.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.