Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Heated Seat Problem

steelheepsteelheep Member Posts: 4
What would make my heated seat kick off. It won't stay on very long? Thanks

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Does it have a thermostat/temperature control?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steelheepsteelheep Member Posts: 4
    I'm sure it has something to that effect. But I don't know. The only temp control it has is a choice of 2 buttons on the doors with 3 temp settings.
    For safety, heating elements have some kind of regulator. It might be a thermostat or other kind of electronic controller. Perhaps someone else has hands on experience regarding the Yukon's system - anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • denaligirliedenaligirlie Member Posts: 4
    if it makes you feel any better...i have a 2003...and only the driver's side does the same thing...have checked fuses...fine....passenger and the other two seats work fine....i'd like to find out what happened...it worked one day and not the other...
    Have you checked the switch?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steelheepsteelheep Member Posts: 4
    Haven't checked the switch yet. But mine acts just like denaligirlie and it's very aggravating. :mad:
  • denaligirliedenaligirlie Member Posts: 4
    yes, and it's fine...looking for the connection under the driver's seat...maybe it came loose? any other suggestions?
    Checking the connections would have been my next suggestion. I'm running out of ideas and hope someone else might come up with something. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Checked the fuses, wiring, connectors under the Driver seat, and switch... Have you also checked the junction block in the engine bay for any of the circuit breakers/Fuse that may be associated with the Driver Seat...?
  • Danville94526Danville94526 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Yukon just started doing the same thing last month...about two weeks after the extended warranty expired. I have not yet taken it in to the dealership.
  • kevibykeviby Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99' yukon w/heated seats that stopped working about 2 years ago.

Checked everything,switch, fuses, finnally took the seat apart and found the heating element is a pattern of wires between the cushion foam and the leather cover. It is very small wire and over time it will break. I soldered the break and it works again like new. I hate to say this but it is a bit of work to take it all apart, but it beats a $300.00 or better repair at the dealer!
  • jdawg11jdawg11 Member Posts: 1
    I've seen other boards where this is either the heating element that breaks under the seat, or the switch that actually needs to be replaced.

Has anyone actually has this issue repaired yet?

Do we know what the repair process is, or do we have a cost?
  • paderickpaderick Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 GMC Yukon XL. The heated seat on the driver side has just started acting up. When I start the car the heated seat will come on. Then it will go off. Them it will come back on. It might go to high and then to low and then to off and come back on again. You hear a click sound under the driver seat when it come on and off. I can turn it off and then it will come back on. The seat does heat up so the heat part is working. The passenger side is working like it should. It did this about a week ago and stopped and now it is doing it again. The seat heats up and works fine when it is not doing this so it makes me think that it is not the heating element. It looks like alot of people have had this problem from what I have read but no one has posted how to fix the problem. Please help if you know what is wrong. Thanks.
  • rose56rose56 Member Posts: 3
    Iam about to purchase a used 2011 yukon xl denali. I took it for a drive and noticed that the passenger heat seat light turns on but the seat does not heat up.. I am very concerned, since the car it almost new. Is this an easy fix?
  • concernedoneconcernedone Member Posts: 4

the heated seats on my 03 Yukon xl started going off almost immediately when the problem started a few months ago, I would push on the door button for butt and back it will go off in less that a second, if I push the button for just the back it will stay for slightly longer maybe a second. The passenger door goes off also like they are connected, I was told that it might be the switch in the drivers door. It is actually being looked at tomorrow along with having an O-ring and the oil pump replaced due to it knocking after I start it up, then the knock goes away, new belts a couple other things $1900.00, Have had to have the speedometer cluster taken out and rebuilt due to the lights going out $160, now my mirror stopped showing me the temp and direction, I will get that fixed, I love this car it is the quietest most comfortable car I have ever owned, I'm close to 170.000 miles hulled softball players basketball players soccer ,baseball, I have never used the on star but do use serous xm (sp) back to the issue at hand I personally think in my case it could be the main switch on the drivers door. Though my mechanic showed me what was left of one he just fixed and it was actually burnt, the part that heats the seat. Here are a couple of suggestions, if your looking at buying one if your going to be hauling kids to sporting events you better get the xl and get the one that has the large gas tank mine will hold 32 maybe 33 gal. 03 I believe I also the 1st of the flex fuel which I have never used. I got this with 30,000 mile. this thing rides
    better and is quitter than my wife's 07 Lincoln mkx but all her seats are heated and ? cooled ? I will let you know what I am told about my seat issue, Long winded Peace

• UlindaUlinda Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 03 XL in June 2015, and I used the heated seat on the driver side about 2wks ago and it worked fine. Now I tried again in the cool weather and it will not stay on, at the same time the passenger side turns off immediately also. I now see that this is a problem with this vehicle. I will look into these suggestions. Thank you all above for your comments on what to try to fix this problem. BTW Betsi the Burb was a 91 Suburban. Great car. This 03 looks new and updated but is a definite down grade, in stability, smooth ride, handling and I am getting a hair worst gas mileage with the 03xl-- go figure. This 03 feels like a tin can after the big old 2500 Burb.