Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Denali/XL Autoride Suspension

Comments

• roo9roo9 Member Posts: 5
    Your info has certainly gotten me started tracking down my problem. I have tested from the red wire on the truck side of the connection at the compressor and have 12 volts - would this indicate that the ALC relay is working?
    I also tested the compressor and it runs with 12 volts to it. I also checked the resistance of the exhaust solenoid and got a constant 24 ohms.
    But my compressor does not run. I don't know what to look for to check the Level Sensor at teach wheel - where are these exactly? Thanks.
    I drive an 03 Denali xl. The compressor is not actuating at all. I have checked the red wire at the connection to the Compressor and have 12 volts on the truck side. Does this indicate that my ALC Relay is ok?
    I have also checked the resistance in the Exhaust Solenoid and have a constant 24 ohms. The Compressor runs with 12 volts put to it. The fuses are good.
    I do not know what to look for relative to the Level Sensors at each wheel - where are they and what do they look like? Thanks.
  • mag44mag44 Member Posts: 32
    Sorry for the slow response, been whitetail hunting for the last week.
    The level sensors are easy to see from the each wheel well while kneeling by the tire, You will spot the bolt that holds them on and the sensors themselves have a linkage. You can disconnect each one and rotate the sensor, you will hear a very faint beep by the compressor if they are working.

I haven't heard a lot of sensors being bad but it's worth the check.

I may before I went through removing each one, just for fun, jumper the blue and white wires from the exhaust selonoid on the truck side of the connector. I may also want to check the continuity of the wires going through the connector just in case one of the wires may not be seated properly in the connector.

See what happens with that.

I am not sure but can photos be posted here I can't seem to do it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can post photos here using the Img button below the posting box. You need an online place to host them - the URL of the photo will go in the spot that the button opens (after the img scr = part). Then you click the Img button again to "close the code".
    I did the Blue/White jumper and the compressor did not start. Can I buy just the pressure switch?
    I have not found a place to just buy the replacement pressure switch.

I had another thought if you want to try another couple test.

If you want to try this one first or do the second one first it's up to you, you could jumper the 5 V wire on the pressure switch (orange) directly to the signal wire (green) to see if the compressor kicks on bypassing the pressure switch.

If it does, then..

Inside the exhaust solenoid is a small plunger that when a voltage is applied to the solenoid it activates a magnetic field and moves this plunger. This may be a long shot but the plunger has a small (I think orange) oring and even though you are getting a good ohm reading it's possible that the plunger could be stuck!

This means you would need to cut off the epoxy and get inside the solenoid which only takes a minute if all checks out then put it back together.
    Thank you!
  • pablo14pablo14 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I just purchase a 2008 Denali I dont know much about the Autoride suspension, just what ever is in the manual. It just seems that the rear supension is lower that the front one and the truck looks unlevel even when its turn on, and I was wondering if there is a bottom or switch in the truck that would level it manually, if not do any of you know if i can have it lift with a special kit that would keep the auto-ride working still?

Thanks
    I did end up buying the replacement compressor and that solved my problem. That was a few miles ago and now the shocks have started to leak. I did buy the Arnott OEM replacements. How do you get the old air line off of the existing shock - I am afreaid to pull too hard.
  • jkeightleyjkeightley Member Posts: 4
    Each line is held onto by metal clips. Grab the clips and twist them 1/4 turn around the hose itself. Kinda like a quarter turn lock. Maybe someone can explain better than me...
    Thanks for the help. I had slready gotten the clips off, but the line had some rust formed behind the small flange and gasket which was up inside the fitting. It just would not come out untill I lubricated it with some PB. Thanks for following up.
  • chepartnerchepartner Member Posts: 1
    I'm having problems with my air ride suspension from a 03 Denali. So far I got a new compressor, new relay and all 3 fuses are working fine, I try to test the sensors but I only heard a little bip on one front sensor and the rest didn't do anything. Is there any way to test the ESC (electronic suspension control) please help!!!
  • fishinfreaksfishinfreaks Member Posts: 1
    Is there a video tutorial out there anywhere that would walk through the process of replacing the autoride shocks? Just the shocks is all I'm looking for.
  • swearnswearn Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I purchased new rear shocks and compressor for my 2005 Yukon xl Denali from Arnott. I checked the compressor before I put it on and it checked out fine. I changed out the shocks and compressor and rebuilt the drier unit and plugged everything back in. However, now that it is installed the compressor will not run and could not clear out the error message on the dash. Still says Service ride control. Here is the list that I have done.

Changed relay for the system.
    Changed *1 40 amp fuse
    Changed 30 amp RTD fuse
    unhooked battery for 30 minutes.
    Cleared all error with controller.
    Rechecked all connections.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Thanks
    Swearn
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    edited July 2011
    The one thing I did not see you mention specifically is the ECM, did you check the connection at the ECM?

As far as "Relay", I have a 2007 Denali it has 3 ALC relays, 2 sitting side-by-side in the fuse box in the engine compartment with the 3rd relay cable-tie to a bundled wires just below and outside of the fuse box. Does your particular year has only 1 replay, or you have identified a bad relay so replaced the one..?

BTW, I believe there is a difference between "Service Suspension System" (compressor and air leak related) and "Service Air Ride Control" (Electronic control function related)... You may check with your local GM Service Department to be sure.
  • dbetheldbethel Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2011
    This thread was most helpful for me to troubleshoot my 2002 Yukon XL Denali auto ride system. I ended up buying two remanufactured OEM GM rear shocks from Arnott to replace my leaky originals and the Arnott compressor "kit" to replace my burnt out compressor (from running constantly because of the leaky shocks).

The installation of everything was super easy and the included air dryer rebuild kit was much needed as my original dryer material was very wet. Everything worked fine for about a month and then last week the compressor failed to come on with a heavy load on the the hitch.

When I grounded the light blue wire going to pin 86 of the automatic level control relay (attached to the engine side of the underhood fuse center) the compressor would run. This told me that the problem was that the Suspension Control Module (SCM) was not activating the relay by sending a low (ground) signal from output A10 C2 to pin 86 of the relay coil.

Further investigation discovered the cause which was an open coil circuit (white & blue wires) on the new Arnott exhaust solenoid which is part of the Arnott compressor "kit" assembly. The SCM can detect this open circuit and it will not activate the compressor relay when it detects an open exhaust solenoid coil circuit. However I had no fault messages or indicators displayed on my dashboard.

I read earlier in this thread that the exhaust solenoid coil should normally read about 24 ohms of resistance and that shorting this circuit by temporarily connecting the white and blue wires together would "fool" the SCM into thinking that the exhaust solenoid was functional which would result in the SCM activating the compressor relay.

I tried this with the load on the hitch and just like someone else posted earlier, the compressor would come on only for just a couple of seconds and then stop. Each subsequent off and on cycle of the ignition circuit would trigger another very short activation of the compressor relay.

I am wondering if the non functional exhaust port operation causes some other issue perhaps with the pressure switch that prevents the system from running longer. Does anybody have an opinion on this? I guess that when I get the warranty replacement Arnott compressor / exhaust solenoid valve assembly later this week I will find out.

Thanks to all of you for educating me on the autoride system. Despite the premature failure of the Arnott exhaust solenoid I still highly recommend this company because of the great pricing compared to GM and because of their excellent customer service.

Dave B.
  • dabunksterdabunkster Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering how this worked out and if you ever found anything out. I have run all the troubleshooting tips. Checked fuses, relay, and tested the compressor by jumping pin30 and pin 87 on the harness at the relay and the compressor runs. I'm afraid it is the electronic suspension control module. However I have yet to test out the exhaust solenoid which is my next step.
    Arnott replaced the compressor assembly (which contains the exhaust solenoid) and my auto ride system is now working properly again.

In my case it was a bad (open circuit) exhaust solenoid coil that was causing the computer to not start the compressor.

I would check your exhaust solenoid coil resistance. You should read somewhere around 24 ohms.

Dave
  • firstmbfirstmb Member Posts: 2
    THE IS IN YOUR FRONT SHOCKS. how many miles vehicle has, and do you feel the cracks in the road? I replaced my front as well with the replacement sencers and that took care of the error message. The error message is always in the front shocks .Good luck.
  • mtinitiganmtinitigan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Denali XL and about a year ago, I had a service light turn on. After taking it to my local GMC dealership, they advised me that I needed to replace my right rear shock. After hearing the price they were asking to replace the shock, I decide to take my problem to my mechanic who has been servicing my car for years. He replaced the shocks for half the cost.

After several months, I started hearing a hollow sound every time I would go over a bump. I did start noticing that my ride was a little bumpier so I took it back to my mechanic.

For the past week, he has been unable to locate the problem. He has check all four shocks which he stated were still good. After reading these posts on the air ride suspension, I realized that I no longer hear the noise the compressor usually makes. Do you think that this is causing the hollow sound noise?

Please help

Mark
    I am not sure about the "hollow" sound but my 2002 Denali XL rode poorly especially when towing with a bad compressor & leaking rear air shocks.

It is easy enough to test the system. Simply put a load on the rear of your truck with the ignition on and within a few seconds you should hear the compressor and see the rear of the truck raise.

If the compressor does not run with a load on the rear of the truck you will know how to troubleshoot it by reading the previous pages of this very helpful thread.

Dave
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mtinitigan,
    I would recommend speaking with your dealer of choice. If they are unable to find the concerns I would recommend asking them to involve Technical Assistance. I hope this helps.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • randy104randy104 Member Posts: 2
    This has probably been covered already - but can anyone summarize if its possible to replace the air shocks and beef up the coil springs on the Yukon Denali XL? Towing a 21 foot bowrider boat - not all that heavy but it blew out the suspension apparently.
  • jim334jim334 Member Posts: 9
    I put Z71 shocks on my Yukon XL and I tow my 23 foot boat with no problem. The boat and truck are level. You have to put resisters in the old plugs that used to connect to the shocks to turn out the service air ride light.
  • randy104randy104 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Jim. Your Yukon XL previously had autoride? BTW my air ride is shot now because the compressor is on a lot - but I have no "service air ride" light on? Also did you change your coil springs or leave those? Randy
  • gizmo0706gizmo0706 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL with autoride. The compressor works and lifts the rear end just like it always did but now I have the dreaded "service ride control" message showing up after driving a few feet every time the vehicle is moved. Would this likely be a problem with the front shocks? Nothing has changed as far as operation or ride but these dash warnings drive me nuts! I just got the "service tire monitor system" message off last month, this vehicle is going to bankrupt me! Any help would be great!
  • ukondoitukondoit Member Posts: 28
    From Virginia - I have the same vehicle (2004 Yukon XL Denali/Stabilitrac) with about 120K miles. If you can't hear the shocks leaking then it might very well be a bad front shock. There is a sensor on the top of the shock tower and these connectors get hot, brittle and then fail. One Local tune up shop said that they had to replace these connectors and leads and told me that they could only order the entire vehicle harness which was like megabucks. They were nuts. I went the dealer and they went to Baltimore to get the two connectors. Only one was bad, but I'm sure that the other side would have failed soon anyway. The dealer also had to replace on of the shocks which was less than 1 year old. ($677 parts!). It would not pass the ohms test. When you connect an ohm meter to the leads on the top of the shock and there is no continuity... that's a problem. Arnotte in Fla used to have these shocks new, but right now they do don't have OEM fronts. They have remanufacturered rear shocks at a fraction of the price of new.
    BTW - If you hear the compressor pump running a lot, you might have a line leak or bad shock. If you let this go, the compressor will eventually fail. Arnotte has replacement compressors at a very reasonable price.
  • thedutydoctorthedutydoctor Member Posts: 2
    MAG44, I wanna thank you for providing this repair info, being an engineer I hate to replace mechanical parts when its something like a simple solenoid repair, this will save me $2000 I have the same fault I found the original workshop manual wire diagram and traced it to this part but didnt go much further believing it was a sealed unit (the solenoid) and would probably not survive the exit route Crush and Extract... now I know this I will go ahead and do this... maybe over the next few weeks or when the weather warms.

I used to own a Citreone Xantia when I lived in the UK and they had mineral oil suspension system (Auto leveling) the dampers were Spheres with Nitrogen filled bladders, £100 each back then stupid money... anyway I found a small engineering shop that dismantled them, refilled the Nitrogen bladder (or replaced it ) and re fit the mineral oil and bingo! so I gots to wondering if anyone is looking at re-engineering the original OEM shocks for these big trucks... being this is my only wheels for a long time it has to keep running

Many thanks for the info I'll post if I have any issues
    the-doc
    You can purchase re-man shocks from Arnotte Industries in Floriday at a fraction of the price of new - You have send in your old ones so that can rebuild them from someone else.
    The remanufactured shocks from Arnott are only $380 for the pair ($190 each) compared to about $600 each for new GM replacements.

They are actually better than new because they use better rubber for the bladders and they have a lifetime warranty. If you need to replace your shocks, going with Arnott is a no brainer.

They also have new (not remanufactured) replacement compressors with a one year warranty for a fraction of the cost from GM. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid15_pid96.html
  • mthomp6584mthomp6584 Member Posts: 1
    I wish I would have read the blog before I purchased. I have had the same error message since suspension was installed over two months ago with assurances that Arnott would send new sensors to correct problem.

Just called them again directly. Explained scenario again and was given an attitude by the Customer Service rep "Marvin". When I asked for a his boss he claimed he was the boss that makes that decision. I am guessing Adam Arnott might take issue with that. We will see.

I actually needed another suspension replaced on a 2007 Escalade but was waiting to get this one right first. Instead of buying two full suspensions, I will be returning this one.

Very unhappy with whole experience.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Mthomp6584,

Did you have a Service Request number? We can look further into this for you. Please send us an email with that and any other information and we'll assist as best we can.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rjarrettrjarrett Member Posts: 1
    This one has me stumped!! This all started with a code stating that the position sensor was not working. I found a wired that had rubbed through going to left rear position sensor. I soldered and shrink wrapped the splice and thought all would be well. Now the compressor will not run. It did run before we fixed the wire? Compressor is ok, exhaust valve ok, pressure swith jumpered appear ok. Did not start compressor when any and all were jumpered. ECS is not sending ground signal to relay to send voltage to compressor. You can ground out the wire to relay and compressor runs. All fuses OK. I have all the service manuals and cannot find info on checking position sensors without Tech II. I do not know if this is correct but I pinned out wiring at ESC checking the signal and low reference voltage at the ESC and thought I would see a flutuation in voltage based on the postion of the lever. All I get is .03 no matter were the level is located. The ESC is sending the 5 volt signal to sensor through red/Bk wire. If you jumber the Red/BK wire to the Gr/Wh wire you get the 3.5V at ESC as expected. This would lead one to believe that the position sensor was bad. Problem is that both back sensors check out the same which I find highly unlikely that they both could be bad. Also why did the compressor work before when the Red/BK wire was broke? What controls the ESC to send ground signal to Relay? Any thoughts?
  • spy4652452spy4652452 Member Posts: 1
    I just read all the posts on this forum I could find and didnt see anything addressing the issue I ran into today. The Service Ride Control message has come on for a while, with no issues, but tonight when I drove home I noticed the ride was super bumpy, like I was driving a super slammed low rider. When I pulled into my garage I heard a horrible crunching sound, and it was the roof rack of my denali hitting the garage door. My truck is riding 3-5 inches higher then Ive seen it ride before, and it is not going down. Its stuck at its highest setting. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance to any suggestions and help.

Another side note, my speedo will randomly stop working and lock on like 140 MPH or on 0 for a whole trip, then work perfect the next day. Annoying...
  • cptmike13cptmike13 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Yukon Denali. The compressor comes on but air is leaking from the exhaust solenoid.
    I bought a new Arnott Compressor OEM, Will repalcing the compressor and air dryer parts associated with the Arnott kit solve my air leak? Or do I have to buy the exhaust solenoid seperately. The bags are not leaking nor is air escaping from the hose. It is just getting dumped overboard. I cant find a parts diagram and the dealer is no help. There is definately an air port (looks like a check valve) that the air is escaping from.
  • alcernalcern Member Posts: 1
    Are there error codes which can help diagnose the problem associated with this message?

Thanks

Al
    The Arnott replacement compressor will have a new exhaust solenoid attached to it. As far as I know you can not purchase the exhaust solenoid separately anywhere.
  • doug6263doug6263 Member Posts: 1
    Last summer I replaced rear shocks and air compressor with units bought from Arnott. Now compressor won't run. At point I did hear air leaks. What does this mean? Is compressor toast?
    It could be a bad exhaust solenoid or the compressor itself. My replacement compressor from Arnott stopped working after only a few months because of a bad exhaust solenoid. They simply sent me a new complete assembly under warranty.

Since you purchased yours last summer just call Arnott and ask for a replacement compresser with a new exhaust solenoid since it has a 1 year warranty.
  • cptmike13cptmike13 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I have a brake and muffler guy who is going to do the install. I will get him to put the new compressor in and we will see what happens. He has a code checker and has to clear one for a recent drivers side catalytic converter replacement.
  • mikeb49mikeb49 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know why I would NOT get code for the Autoride when I dismantled the compressor? I tried putting voltage to the compressor and think it is bad but now I wonder if another control is also bad since I'm not getting a service message? Thanks for input!
    My 02 Denali never had a failure message or a code stored for any of my compressor or exhaust solenoid failures. The only way that I knew that I had an issue was when I noticed that the compressor was not running when I hooked up a heavy trailer.
    I don't doubt it. With Level Ride, ABS, Wheel sensors and ECBMs.. Unless you have a 15K (Tech II) computer like the dealers have, you're not going to see the codes using one of those inexpensive analyzers. Recently I learned my lesson when a reknown local trans shop (not a dealer) told me that I needed a new ECBM, when actually I just needed two wheel sensors and a hub. Thank god, my regular mechanic that does my light stuff, said.. Take it to the dealer. I might have also unneccessarily bought a $1,000 ECBM (anti-lock brakes computer).
  • mikeb49mikeb49 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for the input! Next question-are the front shocks air adjusted or just electronically dampened? If they are not air adjusted like the rear shocks then mine are definately bad! And if I'm not getting any service messages on the dash I'm replacing with regular shocks ASAP!
  • xman67xman67 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All, I need help locating ALC relay on my 2004 Denali. I looked in the fuse box under the hood, did not find it, only found RTD fuse (good). My compressor is not working and need to check relay. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • nermalinermali Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, thank you all for posting. As of yesterday, I have 2 new rear shocks and a new compressor from Arnott. Everything works great, but the ride on the driver side is about a half inch lower than the the passenger side. I noticed this issue before the new shocks and was hoping to not only solve the problem that bad shocks give, but also fix the uneveness. I checked and measured the level sensors and they are all sitting the same at about 2 1/4 inch between top connector and bottom. Look forward to hearing from anyone that could help.
    edited June 2012
    The relay on my 2002 Denali was attached to the side of the fuse box on top of the drivers side wheel well in the engine compartment. You need to remove the plastic shroud surrounding the fuse box and then you can see it.
    I also noticed that the rear end of my 2002 Denali XL sits about an inch lower on the drivers side than on the passenger side. I also installed rebuilt GM shocks and a compressor from Arnott like you did (not to fix the ride height unevenness but because the originals were shot).

I am fairly sure that this is not a shock or compressor or a ride height sensor issue since the shocks share a common air line so there is no way for one shock to have more air pressure in it than the other one does. Correct?

I am thinking that I simply have a weak spring on the drivers side. Any other ideas?
  • xman67xman67 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I did locate it and replaced it but my compressor still will not turn on. I have bench tested it and it works w/ power to red wire. On to the next item.