Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• martin45martin45 Member Posts: 51
    This is totally amazing! I cannot believe that with the lack of intelligence displayed here that some of you can even afford payments on this disgraceful SUV! Even more, I cannot imagine how some of you survive in life.

How long can it possibly take for people to come to the realization that there is an exhaust problem with the 2003 4Runner that is adding to the smell problem? It will not magically disappear as some think.

Credibility is lost for those now changing their mind about the sulfur smell. It is either there or not.

Toyota designed this piece of junk, not you. So quit the defensiveness and deal with the truth. The excuses and the remedies posted here are laughable. If Toyota representatives are reading the posts here, they are now probably embarrassed themselves knowing the audience purchasing their vehicle.

The smell problem exists and Toyota will not accept responsibility!
  • martin45martin45 Member Posts: 51
    If you do not have an 2003 4runner, (which I doubt you do) take a step back on the smell problem.
  • dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    I had a Tacoma with the V6 and the TRD supercharger. Pulled an enclosed trailer that probably weighed 3500lbs. The supercharger helped signigicantly!! Gobs of more low end torque. Look at the torque curves that TRD publishes. Only drawbacks: a little more noise from under the hood and a MINIMUM of 92 Octane fuel. Gas mileage when not towing was exactly the same as before adding the SC. Hope this helps.
  • ltc9024ltc9024 Member Posts: 11
    We hear you. Give it a rest. Give me your address and I will send you some good Canadian old cheddar cheese to go with your w(h)ine!
  • tomcat83tomcat83 Member Posts: 7
    Hey martin45, who bought the stinky 4Runner? Smart move.
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Very much appreciate your reply, exactly the information I was hoping for. I was aware of the octane requirements, the noise is not an issue. After installation and use I will post on the 4Runner Accessories link my comments on this TRD upgrade. Again thank you,
    ...Bob

and..... Romania Toyota ( www.toyotaguys.com ) have the best price.
  • tetra7tetra7 Member Posts: 3
    goto this site:
    http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm

You will find a very good explanation and some problems you MAY run into with a supercharger.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    From reading your posts about the smell of the 4Runner, I decided to take one out for a test smell. I liked it so much, I bought it. It may may be an acquired smell, much like Limburger cheese, but when you appreciate the finer things in life, well, it grows on you.

:)
    tetra7,

Gadgetonline is must reading for anyone considering purchasing a TRD supercharger.

Thank you for passing this on...

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Hey folks ,
    I just stopped by Sandy Springs Toyota in Atlanta area and drove the SR5 model 4WD V6 and V8 for the first time. Here is my feedback on both and please do comment if your impression was similar or totally different ..

SR5 4WD V6 (with 4 miles on ODO): Ran smooth off the mark and throughout the rpm range. Felt a tiny bit short on power going uphill but was not bad whatsoever. The positive impression was that the ride seemed settled and quiet with not much drivetrain noise in 2-wheel-drive mode. Moved it from H2 (2-high) to H4 (4-High) during the test drive and then noticed the drivetrain had stiffened a little and bumps became a little more pronounced.

SR5 4WD V8 (with 6 miles on ODO): Ran smooth off the mark and at speed. I was expecting a lot more smooth response from this legendary V8 but didn't feel the difference from the 6-cyl. In fact, since this one is all-time-4-high, there was that same stiffened feel to the suspension that I found on V6 with H4 mode. My reasoning was the extra smoothness and refinement of the V8 will more than make up for the stiffer ride but the difference in refinement was not there (at least to my senses).

Bottom line (at least for me) was that I walked away more impressed with the 6-cyl as it offers the versatility of staying in 2-wheel-drive and moving to 4-high only when situation requires it. That would also be easier on the fuel consumption and drive-line wear and tear. But on the other hand, Toyota has been making this all time all wheel drive in the LC for more than a decade with amazing reliability so may be my concern of extra toll on the drive-line is unwarranted.

Will look forward for more feedback on this ..
  • reddfishreddfish Member Posts: 54
    Hey Tidester, Thanks for the link. I have a child with asthma. kb28, you may be better off waiting until 2005 to buy your 4runner. Rorr, I like Mexican food as much as you do, including the beans, but that doesn't mean I want the resulting gas smell in my new vehicle.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    You continual comments of a 'bad smell' are like a BAD SMELL. You have been heard, check the box and move on.
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    With the cladding gone and the exterior of the SR5 essentially looking like the Limited, has anyone heard about any changes for the 2004 Limited model???

I was hoping that they would bring back the two tone paint package and some of the old colors that were on the previous generation.
  • a14014la14014l Member Posts: 2
    I heard of 03 SR5 OTD for 22,500 at Keyes Toyota. Anyone know name of salesperson or another dealer that will match price?
  • suvowner1suvowner1 Member Posts: 33
    rward99:
    did you see anything about memory seats or hid headlights as a 2004 option ???

bkhan1:
    I have towed many boats with 2wd vehicles and never had a problem, as long as you are using concrete boat ramps, not anything dirt, then 2wd should almost always be ok, remember the weight of the boat improves your rwd traction significantly, just don't floor when coming up the ramp, just start off nice and easy and you should have no problem. But I would def opt for the V8 for pulling any full size boat. Limited slip diff has been heavily debated on other edmunds sites, and one is not available on the 4runner in either the 4wd or 2wd, it only uses traction control to apply brakes to a spinning wheel.
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    We put some 25K tow miles on a 4,000 lb trailer with our '98 4Runner and traded it in at 75,000 miles on an '03 4Runner Limited V8. The '98 (essentially the same truck as yours) was almost perfectly reliable.

In spite of having almost twice the torque as our '98, the '03 behaves much the same when towing. Even mild grades will cause the torque converter to unlock, and/or the tranny to downshift to 4th. Frankly, I've been a bit disappointed at how little difference is apparent between the two vehicles. I'd guess the same would be true with a supercharger bolted on to your 3.4.

I found that with proper use of the gearbox, out '98 was capable of just about anything when towing, even in the mountains. Note that proper use of the gearbox includes 5,000 rpm in second gear for minutes at a time when towing up long hills on interstate highways in the mountains. The 3.4 V6 and 4-speed AT are very robust, and gave me no trouble at all in spite of this punishing behavior. The only limiting factor on towing in mountains is the brakes, which are VERY prone to fade if you don't use the gears to brake the truck (and will fade on long, steep downgrades even when using 2nd gear to descend).

My suggestion would be to keep what you have and enjoy it. The 3rd gen 'Runners are a class act.

-Karl
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Anyone know name of salesperson or another dealer that will match price?

Please, no posting of contact information on the boards including names of salespeople.

tidester, host
    Karl,

I am surprised that your ‘03 4Runner Limited V8 performed basically the same when towing that your ‘98 had. Last week I considered purchasing a ‘03 Sequoia because of its 4.7 V8, same engine as your new 4Runner. If I had made that purchase and found little difference in towing performance, I would have been very disappointed. The Sequoia is rated to pull 6200 lbs., my 4Runner 5000, not an appreciable difference considering the HP and torque increase in the larger truck.

I’m probably under estimating the power and durability of my ’02. I have the option to buy the 7 year/100,000 mile warranty from my Toyota dealer for $950.00, something I would do if purchasing the supercharger. Probably will do this regardless of what I decide, if the towing causes a problem the repairs will be covered. I consider warranties something you must buy on most domestic cars, not on Honda’s or Toyota’s. My guess is I will never need to use it.

Again thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. Spending $3500.00+ for the supercharger for towing may not give me the performance expected but buying the $950.00 warranty will give me piece of mind.

Bob....
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    When I was shopping I drove both the V6 and V8 versions (all SR5 4WD) and liked them both. I did notice differences, but I'm mindful of how difficult it is to be accurate in these things. Since I wasn't using instruments I don't want to claim too much. Other caveats: There may be unit-to-unit variations, there may be variations over time if the computer programming allows these engine/transmission combinations to "learn" how to work together (I've heard that it does), my test drives were not long or strenuous. I drove several V6s and V8s, and took care one time to drive the two engines over the same course (few miles of freeway, back roads, streets and stoplights), one right after the other. I drove the V6 in both 2WD and 4WD mode.

The two versions performed very similarly, perhaps due to the fact that one has more torque and the other has more horsepower. If transmissions were perfect, more horsepower would always mean better performance, but the broader torque band of the V8 (and the fact that the difference in horsepower is small) probably makes the V8 faster in most situations. One useful test of power is 50-70 MPH acceleration, and both felt equally strong/fast and were impressive even though I wasn't using full throttle. They did the job differently, though. The V6 transmission kicked down immediately and smoothly, while the V8 just pulled hard for a while before kicking down. That may be due to different transmission programming, designed to take advantage of the V8 torque. Though they were both quite civilized, the V6 was a little noisier under heavy acceleration, and didn't sound quite as smooth--no surprise with two fewer cylinders.

Though they felt equally powerful, the V6 seemed a little more responsive, if not "sporty," and the throttle response was smoother. Some of this is probably due to the extra torque (and transmission ratios?) the V8 has at low revs, making it easier to jerk the vehicle around with the throttle. I posted a while back that the V8 felt a little more "clunky" in throttle transitions, especially rolling on the throttle from a near stop. The V6 felt slightly smoother over bumps, especially while turning, and this could be due to the 130lb lighter engine.

There are other reasons to choose between the two engines. The little "V8" badge in the grille is a fun thing to have. Others have written about the newness of this engine, but some have noted that the V8, while several years old, is paired here with a brand new transmission. In terms of long-term reliability, I think it's probably a toss-up. For example, my wife's '98 Camry needed a new transmission to fix a recurring problem, but the engine's been perfect. For me, I liked the availability of a 2WD mode, with its better mileage and potentially lower mechanical wear. A few have had problems with bad smells from the V8s, and the problem appears to be less or absent with the V6. The V8 is better for towing, and the May+ production units will have a beefier hitch (and a $300 bigger price difference)--see my previous post on the new tow ratings.

By the way, that big plastic shield on the top of the V6 that says VVT-i is not just window dressing. It's a heavy thing, bolted at the front and hinged at the back and padded to provide sound damping/insulation. It covers what I believe are air plenums and I expect it softens intake drone under acceleration.

As I said above, these are my opinions and experiences. My decision bounced back and forth several times and I would have been happy either way. You should test drive until you feel comfortable with your choice, and drive what you like. It's your money!
  • sween77sween77 Member Posts: 31
    Its people like Martin that make it difficult to take this sulphur issue seriously. Martin writes in incomplete sentences and it is obvious that his mind can only concentrate on one issue at a time.
    Im curious do you still have your cladded SR5 4Runner? As much as you hate the vehicle I would assume that you have traded it. Trading a vehicle that you hate and proclaim to be "junk" would be logical. Therefore I am betting that you still have the vehicle.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I saw an unusual 03 4 Runner over the weekend . It had SR5 on the back, had the body matching cladding, and the Sport Hood scoop. No V-8 sticker and it had the 16 inch tires. It almost looked like a new model.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    I hooked up a trailer to my 03 4runner this weekend using a 7 to 4 harness converter from an auto part store. Everything works except the left and right signals. When I signal right, nothing happens and when signalling left, all the lights flash. What am I missing?

SV
  • dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    I responded to your post about the supercharger, remember. Before you decide, go back and review some of the posts about how well the 03 4Runner tows. I never owned a previous version of the Runner, but I did have 2 Tacomas, both with the 3.4 V6. The 97 model was stock and the 99 model was the one that I had the supercharger installed on. There was a BIG difference in towing ability, especially on hills(and we have lots of them in WV). Now to the 03 4Runner, my supercharged Tacoma had almost as much torque as the 4Runner V8, but the big difference is the transmission!! With the Tacoma, I was having to downshift to 2nd gear on some of the steeper hills. The truck had no problems mechanically and was able to tow the trailer, but the 03 4Runner does it much more effortlessly and gets about 4 mpg better than the Tacoma(either one) ever did. The 5 speed transmission never downshifts lower than 3rd gear, so I'm never running 5000 RPMs. I don't know if you can do a search on towing, but I do recall seeing several posts from people who were extremely happy with the way their 03 4Runner towed.
  • kb28kb28 Member Posts: 25
    On a Special order 4Runner Sport model: A 2003 delivered in late August or early September with whatever incentives Toyota is offering at the time; or a 2004 delivered in December with surely no incentives and probably a price increase? Which choice fellows?????
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I will continue to compare the two motors until I am ready to jump in. By the way, I am curious if I should take the extra load of V8 on the drive-line into consideration when comparing the two models. Common sense tells me a truck running on 2WD about 90% of the time is much less likely to encounter problems than a truck that is 4WD all the time. I understand Toyota has been making Full-Time 4WD LC for the last 12 years and there should not be any reliability issues but isn't a 4WD V6 inherently more reliable than the 4WD V8 model ?

Also, what about the ride factor ? Isn't the V8 4WD going to ride stiffer when compared to V6 4WD ?
  • jagsdadjagsdad Member Posts: 56
    Has anybody test driven and noticed a significant difference with the upgraded X-REAS shock absorbers? Under what driving conditions does this work? It is really noticeable or do you have to drive like an idiot and take turns too fast to appreciate it?
  • barbarian71barbarian71 Member Posts: 11
    I know we've been here before, but I am still looking for that elusive answer: The manual recommends 91 octane or higher for "improved vehicle performance"

Could anyone define the "improved performance?" I think I have noticed that my V8 limited seems to respond faster with less press on the accelerator with the 91 but am I just imagining this with the manual's "improved vehicle performance" in mind?...

I would like to think that 87 is just fine, but does anyone know scientifically what Toyota is talking about with the "improved vehicle performance?"
    Coupedncal, I think your questions about reliability are good and reasonable but it would be hard to get reliable answers unless one of us could talk frankly with Toyota's engineers in Japan. Short of that, I'll speculate a little and invite others to do the same.

The extra torque of the V8 could certainly put an extra load on the driveline, especially if one was towing a lot and/or near the rated limits. However the V8 has a different transmission and most have assumed that it was designed for the torque of the V8. The AWD of the V8 will be under load 100% of the time, but even with the multi-mode of the V6 in 2WD, many of the front drive parts are still spinning, even if not under load. In addition, the AWD mode (mandatory in the V8) would serve to spread out the load and consequent wear, and the V8 presumably lacks some of the 2WD/4WD switching parts that the multi-mode V6 needs. The real gain for 2WD seems to me to be in the 4Runners that are 2WD only, where the extra driveline parts don't even exist.

All in all, I too suspect that the V6 is less likely to encounter problems if it's operated in 2WD most of the time, but I don't think the difference will be very great. My opinion is that these differences in reliability are small compared to the differences between brands, and that's why I like Toyota. They show great quality in their design and execution, and I've had very good experiences with them.

As for the ride factor, my experiences with the two versions didn't match yours exactly. The V8 might have been a little stiffer, but what I noticed was a little more general "wiggle" after bumps or crossing road seams. That could have been AWD-related, but I couldn't tell. It was not a large difference and I've had a hard time expressing it except to say that the V6 felt a little smoother and less "clunky."

BTW, others have commented on this a little in previous posts. Maybe they'll do so again.
    Barbarian71, higher octane fuel is harder/slower to ignite, and the engine can therefore tolerate a greater ignition timing advance. The engine has a knock sensor and adapts to the fuel, backing off the advance when it detects knock. Backing off the timing advance reduces peak horsepower.

This stuff is a factor for higher compression engines that are designed to take advantage of higher octane fuels. The V6 has a slightly higher compression ratio than the V8 and may see a slightly bigger benefit from the higher octane fuel, but both are apparently designed to make maximum horsepower on premium.

Mileage on premium will be slightly lower, so your cost for having max horsepower on tap is more pennies/mile for fuel. I don't think there are any other tradeoffs, as neither of these engines require premium for normal operation.

I think this is pretty consistent with previous postings on the matter, but perhaps I/we are managing to miss your fundamental question. Would you care to clarify?
  • goose17goose17 Member Posts: 4
    I have had my V6 2WD Sport for a few months now and love it. I have a few minor issues that I was hoping I could get clarified. 1) The V6 is a little noisy and seems to have the proverbial "deck of cards" sound when it is running. It is worse when cold but with the windows up I can typically hear it in the car. Is this typical for other V6 owners out there? The engine performance seems to be fine. 2) My height seat adjustment does not seem to stay in place. At first I thought I was hitting the lever when I was getting out of the car but I find I am having to crank it back up on a regular basis. Anybody else having this problem? I need to take it in anyway for the recent recall but I thought I would see if these issues were just mine. The engine might be working as designed but the noise seems wrong somehow. Thanks for any inputs.
  • barbarian71barbarian71 Member Posts: 11
    Your explanation makes sense...I wish you wrote the manual instead of Toyota...I wasn't sure if "improved vehicle performance" meant hp, gas milage or something else.

So other than reduced peak horsepower/ a few more mpg, you are saying that otherwise the engine will operate basically the same on regular? I guess for some reason I interpret "improved vehicle performance" to mean "better for engine" so I just wanted to be sure the enigne will have the same longevity on the lower grade fuel.

Thanks
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    making the engine work a little harder by running the 91 octane, so the longevity might be slightly enhanced using 87 all the time. Either way, there is not much in it.

As far as the 4wd/2WD discussion above, surely it would be less wearing on the rear drivetrain set (driveshaft, axles, diff) if the 4WD were engaged, thus causing the front set to take part of the load of pushing the truck along? In this context, your best bet would be to get the V-6 and drive in 4WD all the time.

But Toyota has never had issues on the Runner with the durability of driveshafts and axles, which usually last the life of the truck, so it doesn't make much difference either way.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    What is usually the reason? Engine, tranny, the car just falls apart?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    trucks, old Runners usually die because they are rolled in some wonderfully wild stunt that went awry!

Seriously though, these trucks have an awesome amount of longevity. The 89-95 V-6s had an engine TSB that chased some off the road, but Toyota will fix the problem for free, and apart from that, the entire 2nd and 3rd gen had no systemic engine or transmission problems.

It is the same story as many old 80s Toyotas...eventually the paint fades, the vehicle is not worth that much any more, the rust starts, the owner gets bored with the vehicle. But if you want to keep it, it will give you 15 years no sweat, and more if you are so inclined. There are so many of these still running around from the 80s, compared to other trucks, it is ridiculous.

Offroad fans love the older ones, and an old Runner is a great way to pick up a bulletproof platform to build a great offroad truck on (suspension mods, lifts, oversize tires, etc).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Nippononly makes a good point, but it probably applies mostly when the engine is producing a lot of power, such as towing or steep hill climbs or hard acceleration. As I understand it, higher octane fuel withstands higher peak combustion chamber pressures before knocking or, worse, detonation. If the engine spends significant time at those higher pressures, it might fail sooner.

I'm with nippononly when he says "Either way, there is not much in it." Engine longevity will probably be determined by other factors. If my past experience with Toyota engines is any guide, as long as you change the oil frequently and do regular maintenance and don't really abuse them, you'll wear out before they do.
  • ddw5ddw5 Member Posts: 23
    Goose17- there was an earlier post on a "fluttering noise" that turned out to be a leak in the exhaust manifiold. My v6 Sport has the same problem. You will notice it increase in frequency with rpm and also in volume with harder acceleration. I am taking mine in tomorrow. What recall are you talking about??
  • john_dodejohn_dode Member Posts: 15
  • fsudavefsudave Member Posts: 2
    For those of you who take your new 4runners to the dealer regarding the dreaded fluttering - sputtering noise from the V6 engine, please keep us posted as to possible fixes. I see a lot of posts about the same V6 noises on other boards, but no real solutions. Mostly, the dealer usually says that's the way there supposed to sound.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Just a reminder that the 4.7L V8 drivetrain has been out since 1999 in Toyota Land Cruiser. Therefore, this drivetrain has ALREADY proven it's reliability (around the world!). So, not need to worry about wear-and-tear.
    Intermed99, I thought I'd read in several places that the 5 speed auto transmission in the new V8 4Runners was new this year. Not just new to the 4Runners, but a new design.

Can you or others shed any light on this?
    I've been posting too much here, so I'll take a break and get back to work. Before I do, I remember that some had asked about mileage on the V6s. After 1 tank (fuel grade unknown) I got a measured 19.7 MPG against a trip computer report of 20.0. The driving was mixed city/hwy, mostly with a light foot and more hwy than stop & go. Interestingly, the computer reports about 27.5 MPG at 60 MPH cruise, so that may be an (overly optimistic) indicator of how well one might do on long drives with few stops. Maybe 25 MPG is possible then?

As for the newness of the V8 drivetrain, it finally struck me to check elsewhere on this (Edmunds) site. From the "Helpful Links" box at the left edge of this page, the 4Runner "Road Test: First drive" see the 2nd and third paragraph pasted below:
    --------------
    The 4.0-liter V6 is an all-new engine design that incorporates some firsts for a Toyota truck. It's the company's first all-aluminum truck engine, the first truck engine to make use of Toyota's Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) and the first Toyota truck engine to employ a variable intake manifold. The results are impressive: 245 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 283 pound-feet of torque at 3,400 rpm. The engine is also LEV-certified and boasts significantly reduced amounts of lead to make it more recyclable in the future.

The optional 4.7-liter V8 is not quite as new, but it is no less deserving of mention. Debuting in the Tundra pickup in 2000, the iForce V8 has gained a reputation as one of the smoothest, most refined eight-cylinders ever to grace the engine bay of a pickup. Generating 235 horsepower at 4,800 rpm and 320 lb-ft of torque at 3,400 rpm, the iForce engine offers slightly less horsepower but significantly more torque for those who need the extra grunt for towing.

The biggest news for V8 buyers is the introduction of an all-new five-speed automatic transmission — another first for a Toyota truck. It features slightly lower gearing overall than the previous four-speed, but a taller overdrive gear for better highway mileage. All V6-equipped models retain the same four-speed automatic used on the previous model.
    --------------
    That's one source. Perhaps it can be cross-checked with others for accuracy.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We're still saying the same thing in the Limited Road Test, also linked in the Additional Resources Box.

Steve, Host
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    jorgjorg,

Sorry for the delay in response, I was on vacation.
    To start out with, I got the cladding, because that was standard both when I ordered and when it was built. I'm not sure what the case with Sports are at this point.

As far as ordering/negotiating, it was suprisingly easy. With a cumulation of about 20minutes on the phone and no more than 12 emails, I got my 4runner ordered. Granted, much time was spent before I sent out any emails or calls here on edmunds and other sites researching and on the car lot driving/looking.

As far as once I decided on a 4runner sport 4WD V-6 with 'no' options, the process was simple. I used edmunds and toyota to find dealers in my area that had internet sales people. Once I had that, I made sure in the comment section available that I mentioned the no option requirement and that from what I knew that it would be a build order. I got about ten responses in two days, of which probably 75% didn't obviously read the comment and tried to get me into a SUV with moonroof, jbl, spoiler (ugly,ugly,ugly), etc. I then emailed them all and reiterated my requirement for NO options asked for best prices,etc.
    From that point the decision was easy, many said they wouldn't do build orders and of the ones that did, all said "bottom line, $1000 over invoice" or more, and carson toyota (of whom I eventually purchased from) gave me a $500 over invoice quote. After letting the others know of the lower quote only one matched it. On a side note, I called many of the dealers that said they would do a build order, and most of them did not seem confident in the process. Carson not only was one of the two with a $500 over invoice quote, but also were VERY confident in the process because they do many build orders a year (probably the most on the west coast from what I hear). So I would say to you, get the bottom lines by just asking (that didn't take more than two emails and 5 minute phone call to two or three places) and then ask how experienced in the build order process they are (in my mind the MOST important aspect).

Once I chose the dealer, I exchanged maybe three emails, a couple of phone calls, and it was done. Toyota requires a $1000 deposit (which they didn't even cash) and the order was put in. I was notified a couple weeks before 4runner got in (three months after ordering) and I worked out financing over the phone in like 10 minutes. And when the 4runner made it onto the lot, I picked it up and drove it off the lot in like an hour.

Hope that was some help,
    Jared
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I have a V6 SR5. On my first tank of gas, I got 21.1 actual mpg and the computer showed 22.5. This was mostly freeway around town (not on a trip) with a light foot for the break in period. I am extremely pleased. This is 2-3 mpg better than my old Ford truck that had 120 less hp and weighed 500 pounds less. I also cross shopped the Jeep Liberty and heard many stories on that board claiming less than 15 mpg with the V6.

Regarding the engine (ticking/fluttering) noise in the V6, I do think that is typical of the VVTi engine. Especially since many people report similar sounds.
  • goose17goose17 Member Posts: 4
    ddw5 - Got something in the mail this week about a recall on the v6 engine concerning a fuel pulsation damper. Says on certain early 2003 v6 vehicles so might not apply to all of them. Thanks for justifying my ears on the dreaded fluttering noise.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    The 5-speed auto is new to Toyota this year. However, Toyota has always been known to produce ultra-reliable trannies (unlike Honda's recent problems). It's engines are also reliable, but the sludge problem a while back did not do well for it's reputation.

I think the 5-speed tranny is the least of any worries. The "i-Force" V8 is basically the same engine used in Land Cruiser/LX470, except that it is tuned to run on regular fuel (tiny bit more HP, but less torque). Therefore, the 4Runner's 4.7L V8 engine has it's roots around since 1999, not 2000.
  • pfessor10pfessor10 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone spotted any of the new, upgraded towing receiver hitches that were to become standard on the V-8's? Is it too early for them to have reached the mainland from Japan?
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    I had a very interesting experience this morning in my 4Runner. Well, the stereo display and odometer were fairly dimmed, and got dimmer as I looked over toward them, but the trip computer display didn't have that effect at all. When I looked back forward they got a bit brighter. Then I tilted my head 45 degrees right and they went almost completely dark. I tilted my head 45 degrees left and they looked as bright as normal. At first I was confused.

Then I remembered that the sunglasses I bought last night are polarized filters. So the light coming off the odometer and JBL stereo display must be polarized, too, in order to change between completely dark and normal as I tilt my head. But no such light from the trip computer.

Kind of irrelevant, but I thought it was interesting.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I have that same problem sometimes with ATMs. I sometimes look like an impression of a crane as I tilt my head at all sorts of crazy angles trying to read the display.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    So the light coming off the odometer and JBL stereo display must be polarized...

I think the plastic in front of the lights acts like your sunglasses and polarizes the light (as opposed to the light starting off as polarized).

tidester, host