Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Want to Buy a Outlander But Need to Know ...

idavidsonidavidson Member Posts: 41
edited May 2014 in Mitsubishi
Hi,

I test drove an outlander. I loved the feel and
look of the car. Very nice cabin.

But I need to know some things that only long
term users will know. They are in no particular
order.

1) Any comments on the CVT? Have there been recall
notices, problems. Is it much better to get the V6 with
regular transmission.

2) The specs say you can tow 1500 pounds. Can people
comment on their experiences towing.

3) The Mitsi warranty is great in length, but do they
give you a hard time when you make a claim?

Number 1 is my greatest concern since I have not
read much about positive or negative experiences
with the CVT. I test drove an ES with the CVT and
it sounded a bit loud but was otherwise reasonably
smooth. I want to know if it will have reliability issues
since its a relatively new concept.

Comments

• costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    I have the 07 xls with the v6 and love it . I have all the paks on it and got a great deal last new years eve. Get the V6 if you can !!
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    1. XLS, V6, 6 spd auto. This is a great combination: good power to weight ratio, good (not great) fuel economy - 20-21 mpg in warm weather, and only 18-19 mpg now. No problems with towing. I towed fully loaded U-haul trailer for over 700 miles round trip last summer without the sweat. If you plan to carry some cargo or few people often, with AC on - get V6. Otherwise - 4cyl will do.
    2. 1500# is not that much, trailer itself can weight 600-800#
    3. I used warranty only once (ASC sensor), no problem with dealer, I even got free loaner for a day. They were very professional, and really determined to get perfect score in the follow up survey call.
    4. Either way (V6 or 4cyl) it is a great CUV, perfect size, good handling and performance, rather stiff suspension (European sedan feel).
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Another shout-out for the V6 six-speed. Great powertrain. Mine ('07 AWD LS) has been problem free except for one recall when it was new.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • idavidsonidavidson Member Posts: 41
    But can anyone who owns the I4 with the CVT comment on its performance
    reliability?

Thanks.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    We have an 08 Outlander SE 4 cyl with the CVT.

Just under 7000 miles and have had zero problems with it. Seems to work fine. Finally used the 4wd mode just a few weeks ago when the weather started getting really bad. Went up our snow and ice covered lane without any hesitation whatsoever.

So far, since we purchased it in June, we have been happy with the whole package. I have changed the oil twice and we plan on taking it in for the 7500 mile checkup soon.
  • olliexls2007olliexls2007 Member Posts: 28
    I've had mine overheat (as the manual states: if ya smell it shut it down.) or words to that effect.
    I had mine overheat in the Smokey mtn area 2 times during 1 vacation trip on paved roads up developments. Let it sit for a while as the book says and then took off. BIG problem!!! you then only have 6th gear..pain in the rear when going back DOWN the mtn! After a while the other gears kick in and all is well.
    Took it to the dealer and they hooked up a computer to the "car" & told me that a problem ws registered but the only way to see what actually happened was to open the throwaway sealed read unit & inspect it.
    The head mechanic told me that the shop manual says to only use the 4WD or LOCK when absolutely necessary...stuck in mud,sugar sand,deep snow,etc. This is not what the sales brochure of the owners manual state at all. Says 4WD for better traction,etc in the rain, avoidance manuvering,etc. I always ran the 4WD every time it rained for safety. Now I'm told I may have "cooked the tranny"!!!!! :mad: :confuse: :sick:
    Anyone else have this problem?
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    So far so good on my '07 LS V6 4WD. I agree that they don't explicitly say to not use the 4WD on less than slippery surfaces (it's supposed to be a full time 4WD). I typically use it in 2WD to save whatever fuel I can on dry roads, but leave it in 4WD when it chimes about being close to freezing or rainy days. I'd say except for the inconvenience of losing the car for a while you're covered under the warranty and should get it fixed if you suspect the tranny is toast.
    I hope 4WD won't damage the tranny. I probably run 4WD 50% of the time from Dec.-March.
  • olliexls2007olliexls2007 Member Posts: 28
    Head mechanic told me not to use it unless absolutely necessary.... Deep snow, ice, "sugar sand"..... Said the "car" has ACS, etc and that should take care of most of the problems... It rains hard and a LOT here in the summer months & I liked to use the 4WD every time it rained to be on the safe side ...but not any more.

See what your shop "guy" says re: 4WD where you live and let us know.
    I have a free oil change to use before the end of March, I'll ask him while I'm there.
  • tkrafttkraft Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a used 07 XLS. The dealer said that the factory Nav can be installed in place of the radio by the dealer. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Don't trust dealers....
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Don't know the answer, but you might just wish to go with an aftermarket Nav unit. The factory unit is only map updated infrequently from what I hear and it cost a lot compared to say a Garmin, etc. (and if I remember correctly the map update process is a pain(search under nav unit and read). I have the Rockford Fosgate radio unit (not NAV), and love the sound, but not the fact the red leds wash out in sunlight. IMHO I'd bag the Nav and go for the radio.
  • outlander_ladoutlander_lad Member Posts: 4
    Hello;

I am an 2007 Outlander Owner and I really like my SUV but I need a recommendation for a good service dept in the Clearwater florida area.
    There are three dealerships in the area but I can't seem to find anyone who can recommend one?? My current service dept in New Port Richey is not acceptable.

I work in Largo area so anything in the Pinellas county could work??
  • noey8noey8 Member Posts: 16
    I posted this on another thread:

The Outlander is currently on my short list for a new small suv but I have some concerns about the awd system.

I took this from another forum from a guy who got stuck in a snow storm:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by armymen
    Hi,
    yesturday i was like stock in the snow, i was in 4WD lock.
    the problem, only my Front left side and my back Right side where spinning.
    are my system is defect ???

I got this from another thread:

[quote=chenarm;234450]This is taken out of the Outlander service manual

"As the vehicle is intended for on-road use, long-time driving on a sandy or slushy road must be avoided. When the vehicle is driven on a sandy or slushy road for a long time, the fail-safe function of the electronic control 4WD system tends to enter the protective control mode which switches the control from 4WD to 2WD gradually in order to protect the drive system, and the indicators ("4WD" and "LOCK") tends to illuminate"

So what time frame is meant by long-time? I live in the northeast and sometimes driving to the ski resort from the city can take up to 3 hrs in a snowstorm. Will this system hold up well? (of course keeping in mind one will have dedicated snow tires).

Anyone experience this problem?

I contacted Mitsu Canada about this who in turn told me to call my local dealer. The service manager there said that he has not heard of this problem coming in.

I want to get a good all around small suv, and the current outlander seems to fit the bill, but if the awd system goes against it's intented purpose than that's a big problem.
    I've left mine (2007 LS AWD) in 4WD auto for weeks at a time during our Wisconsin winters and have had no issues. Even in 4WD lock, there is no locking differential, so you might have only one wheel per axle spinning. I think it's the same in any CUV. My friend has a FJ cruiser and it has switches to lock the axles. It's meant for more serious off-roading.
  • solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    I too have an 07 V6 4WD outtie....Got 34,000 on the clock and I spend most of my time in Colorado using 4WD AUTO....I've never gotten stuck in snow or loose gravel heading up to the trailheads...
    I keep it in 4WD AUTO all the time...even on the Interstate....I traded in my 2000 Forester for this outtie so I like full time all wheel/4WD.
    I've had no problems....
    These other posts about limiting the use of 4WD I suspect are bull&#@t. :sick: There is nothing my operator's manual about limiting the use of 4WD...
This discussion has been closed.