Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MY FUTURE OLDER CAR?

piCARsopiCARso Member Posts: 16
I have digressed from my original inquiry( see 58-66 Thunderbirds ?) so I am starting a discussion about your average (income) middle aged man who pines for the style, substance and quality of an older automobile. I know I am not alone in this feeling of wanting a piece of the past and I am not so naive to think that everything old is good. That is why I would respectfully ask for comments from vintage car owners as well as people like myself. Both the 50's and 60's interest me equally. Review my Thunderbird discussion and please weigh in. I am not well versed in this method of communication so please forgive my clumsiness.
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Help us out a bit.

Please answer as best you can:

1.What's your budget?

2. Do you want to go FAST?

3. How BIG can you stand them? As big as they come, or are there limits as to size?

4. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

5. Are you content to drive a car everybody knows, or must you have a car that is very unique?
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    ...I'd say go for something nice-looking from the mid-60s. Domestic automotive technology was reasonably well settled in by then, and a competent mechanic should be able to figure out most of what's under the hood. The cars themselves were generally powerful enough to be usable on modern roads, and the stuff they didn't have (split brakes with front discs, better carbs, etc.) can be retrofitted fairly easily.
  • piCARsopiCARso Member Posts: 16
    Budget: Keeping it real, under 10 would be nice. I see a lot of nicely kept cars of every make, model and size on ebay selling for -10. If that seems too restrictive what will 15 to 20 bring.

Wife:An ingredient in this equation not to be overlooked or underestimated. It will be our classic car not just mine, therefore I think we need to take the flat black chopped Merc off the table although the outlaw in me would love to own one.

Speed: Not really important, happy with 55 on the turnpike and something that drives smoother then a foot stool.

Size: Doesn't matter, thank God. I am more interested in style and imaginative design. I don't mind those big rolling living rooms. Probably not the late 50's big finned Cadillacs though.

Introvert/extrovert: Yes. I am quiet and conservative by nature but there is definitely a showman just below the surface.

Unique: Not necessarily. Most cars from this period, even the most modest would turn heads today. When car design moved from the boat to the box, cars lost their individuality. Paint them all silver and do you have a Mercedes or a Ford?

Bottom Line: My wife will approve a sensible, informed choice.( maybe even an illogical choice if I beg)

My knowledgeable host has suggested post 55' when power steering and brakes, and other amenities make driving pleasurable.

I like period color : pink, powder blue, pastel yellow and green bodies with white tops and the opposite.

I like well appointed chrome, 56' Crown Vic, Mercuries of this time period, articulated headlights and wrap around back windows, 59' Olds 88 Holiday,59'&60' Impalas, Edsel. 1959 seems like a great year for styling to my eye. The same models in 60' don't look as good to me. I don't mention Belairs since they are so expensive. I guess my heart "is" in the 50's but I do not want to ignore the 60's. Early Mustangs are iconic but their often cheap prices make me suspicious. I can appreciate the muscle car but I don't see it in my future unless I hit the lottery.

Convertibles: sure, I don't want to eliminate them. Summer is short in Maine and who wouldn't want to drive around with the top down. Tell me about well functioning models in the 60's and even 70's, those neglected diamonds in the rough.

Variables:I Understand Many ! I don't need numbers matching. I would like a worthy and reliable driver that won't bankrupt me but satisfy my desire for a piece of automotive sculpture and help to inform others like myself what are the strengths and weaknesses of the cars in this period. With rebuilt engines and transmissions I know all is speculative but give me your best general ideas. I appreciate and welcome all opinions. Thank you for your consideration.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    i did a Hemmings dealer search in Maine.
    in freeport
    gotta go, i am going to browse though the inventory. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    Since your heart is in the '50s because of the style, you may want to keep your eye out for a resto-rod. These are cars that have been cosmetically restored but have had more modern drivetrains, steering, brakes, and/or amenities such as sound systems installed. A well-done example won't be cheap, but it will less than an example restored to original standards would be, and if the lack of originality doesn't bother you it should be a better drive.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    I was about to recommend this model Tempest, too. Good way to get the style of a GTO without the huge $$$$. But it sounds like '50s is more his preference, so a 57 or so Pontiac, Buick, or Olds in good shape should be easy to find, $10k for a 4 door, $20k for a 2 door should get a good one, I'd think. It'd be hard to find a good convertible at under $20k, wouldn't it?
    One thing you haven't described - how much work do you want to do on it?
    A '57 Chevy 4-door might work, although I think 60s cars drive a lot better.

A Ford Falcon Futura might be nice.
    Yes, a '57 4door would work. I'm not too crazy about cars related to early Mustangs, though, given the major body rot my '65 experienced.
    True but if you have a car with body on frame construction and unbolt-able fenders, and where the aftermarket supplies replacement panels, it's not such a big deal to repair certain rust issues. In the UK they cut out rocker panels like we change oil.

Actually a very handsome 4-door car you can buy for ridiculously few dollars is a 65-69 Corvair, if you want to get into the hobby real cheap.

50s cars are so CLUNKY though.

I do have a few 50s favorites though....like a black on black '58 Plymouth 2D. BAT CAR! (Also a notorious rust bucket, sad to say).

I always thought a Valiant station wagon would be pretty cool to own. Rare bird though.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I would love to have one of those later Corvairs!

The Valiant wagon is pretty cool, too. We inherited one of those back in the mid-60s. Gee, I was in my first accident (as a passenger) in that car...

Convertibles are great. I love convertibles. The thing to remember there is that when the top goes down the price goes up - considerably so.

That lot in Maine had some fun stuff. Not cheaply priced for what it was but cool.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Thank you for your reponses. I have been busy with my homework. There are some handsome convertible Ford Falcon Futuras and Corvairs on ebay right now. They are small, sporty and seemingly reasonable. They are a good suggestion for a tight budget and not over the top. Their modesty makes them a jewel in the rough. The 57' Belair 4 door, picked again for affordability, was a liitle stodgy for me. The 58' Plymouth 2 doors were over the top gorgeous with prices to match. Fun to dream though. The 67' pontiac was another great suggestion. What do you think about 59'-61' Impalas, 2 and 4 doors; Edsels, Cougars, 59' Old's 88 and some of those big convertibles from the 70's that seem cheap and unpopular, even without their roofs. Is it gas consumption or aren't they vintage enough? There are a few vintage car places in So. Maine but prices are not realistic. They are buying them cheap from away and doubling the price. Any more dimonds in the rough out there?
    The Cougar is kind of a bargain Mustang, that's true.

I don't think you'll be able to touch a '61 Impala Coupe. Those are very very popular.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    some of those big convertibles from the 70's that seem cheap and unpopular, even without their roofs. Is it gas consumption or aren't they vintage enough?

I don't think it's gas consumption or not being old enough...it's just that for the most part, they weren't very good cars. And that's coming from someone who loves big 70's boats! :blush: GM's big cars were still pretty good in 1970, but the 1971 models were pretty poorly put together in comparison. They were still pretty good performers, with the right engine. Even the 1972 models weren't bad performers, but unfortunately, 1973 would see to that.

Still, I think they can be pretty cool cars. I wouldn't mind having a 1975 LeSabre convertible, baby blue, preferably with the 455 V-8. I think the '71-73 LeSabre/Centurion and '71-72 Impala 'verts were pretty sharp looking, too. Most LeSabres and Impala probably just had 350's, but a 455 was standard in the Centurion, making it a performance bargain.

I think Ford quit making big convertibles after 1972, and Chrysler gave it up after 1971, and none of them sold in near the quantity that GM did.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    '67 GTO is highly recommended as are the following: 65/66 Mustang V8 Coupe, 65 Falcon Futura Coupe, 67 Cougar Coupe as these can include Power steering, Automatic tranny, & even Air Conditioning.

The Studebaker Hawk would really be uncommon and an eye catcher.
    Yes the last 62-64 Gran Turismo Hawks are nice looking, kinda T-Bird like, with sturdy engines, attractive body on a very dated chassis and suspension. Hard to find parts, though, for Studebakers. Not much of an aftermarket, so buy one totally done and totally complete except maybe for simple mechanical stuff.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    As long as you don't get a 58 Packard Hawk - one of the great uglymobiles. it probably gets points for being rare though there's good reason for the rareness...

Like Andre I have a soft spot for 70s boat convertibles. Looked at a 74 Impala convertible long enough ago that it was on a regular used car lot. I couldn't quite pull the trigger. Some of that might have been that it was a 74. That was the worst year ever for cars.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Putting the Packard name on that 1958 Hawk was a miserable thing to do.

About ten years ago, I had the chance to buy one of my favorite cars. A 1952 Chevy. It was a four door Deluxe and it looked and ran well.

But I got to thinking. Suppose the lower end loosens up as they always do given enough time. Who is still alive who would be willing and able to work on those babbitt bearings and rods?

Who would be able to reseal that closed driveline when the internal seals fail?

And when the kingpins need to be replaced, who could do them?

Modern shops hate to work on cars that are fifteen years old much less one that is 50 plus years old. I lack the skill and equipment to do anything extensive.

And suppose someone runs a red light and takes out a rear door and quarter panel?

On that Chevy, used parts could probably be found but what it it was a Studebaker or a Packard or even a Chrysler?

This is why I haven't bought anything.
    shifty can tell you all about the difference between asking price and selling price.
    if you see something you like, it doesn't hurt to ask.
    if your offer is not accepted, keep looking.
    My experience has been that the asking price is always flexible, and oddly enough, even more flexible if the seller likes your approach to his vehicle.

Here's my silly Rules of Thumb on this subject

1. The asking price is the act of the seller exercising his First Amendment Rights under the Constitution. This price does not have to have anything to do with reality, unless of course the seller actually wants to sell the car.

2. Never bargain with a seller on the phone before you see the car. This PO's most sellers.

3. Never challenge the asking price directly, as if it were "wrong".

4. Don't talk price at all until you have driven and inspected the car.

5. Make an offer. If he counters, work from there. If he refuses to counter, write your offer down on a business card and wish him a good day and WALK.

Remember, the old cliche still holds true:

"You cannot negotiate successfully if you cannot leave the table."

6. Bringing price guides with you is helpful, if they favor your cause of course.

7. DON'T say "I saw another one in the paper for $2,000 less, because you've just played straight man to his retort---well then, smart [non-permissible content removed], go buy that one!"
    8. don't forget to send shifty a thank you note for this priceless advice!
    i am not kidding. :)
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...bring at least one other knowledgeable person with you. They'll spot things wrong with the car you might miss. I've spent a lot of time looking at cars at Carlisle and the guys with me spotted things wrong I'd have first missed.
    Good suggestion...even BETTER, it would be beneficial if that person doesn't like, or is benignly indifferent to, the kind of car you are looking at. You'd be amazed how "being in love" with a certain type of car will blind you so badly you'll stagger around for months wondering how you could have been so stupid.
    Good suggestion...even BETTER, it would be beneficial if that person doesn't like, or is benignly indifferent to, the kind of car you are looking at.

Sounds like a plan. Shifty, the next time I fall in love with another old 70's mastodon, I'm bringing you with me, because I know how you feel about them! :shades:
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Thought you might want to take a look at this article. It is about a lady who has owned a '69 Dart since it was brand-new.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/automobiles/collectibles/06EGO.html?scp=19&sq=- Auto%20Ego&st=cse

By the way, how is your '68? Have you finally let it go yet?
    keep hanging onto the Intrepid and maybe in 40 years or so you could make the NY Times!
    nice post! i only have to hang onto my mustang for another 23 years to match her.
    of course, she is not giving up her car, so it's like trying to catch up in age to your older sibling. :surprise:
    You guys are having way too much fun. Hope you haven't forgotten me. Great advice about stradegies for buying a car. I will remember them. I know when we were looking to buy a boat, every one we saw we wanted and we rationalized away any imperfection. You know what the letters B.O.A.T. stand for: " Bring out another thousand" And of course the well know homily: "The two happiest times in a mans' life is the day he buys his first boat and the day he sells it". I hope this does not apply to vintage cars. Thanks to all your great council. My horizons have been broadened. Initially, all I thought about was the outside of the car but Mr. Shiftright got me thinking about handling and performance. With my modest budget that 65-69 Corvair looks interesting. I know there is a group of rabid admirers out there and in the past I have overlooked them because they are small and modest compared to many of the showy late 50's cars. Looking at them with a fresh eye I admire their compact simplicity. Well kept convertibles with I imagine thrifty 6 cylinder engines sell for below 10 consistently. What can you tell me about these cars? Are they fun to drive, good engines, brakes, suspensions, etc.? Anything I should know ? The field is narrowing.
    mr shifty provide great insight and he is willing to share it.
    lucky for you and many others.
    go to google and type corvair.
    if you see somthing you like, post back about it.
    i am sure you will get some opinions. :)
    I think the Corvair is okay. I'd probably go for an automatic (the manual shifter is so clunky) and if the engine has recently been resealed, tuned, etc. all the better. Those engines do seem to leak a lot. I think the auto is a 2-speed though, and it reminds you that you are still in 1965--1969.

Corvair brakes are EXCELLENT---best American braking car in 1965, hands down.

Handling needs a mod to the steering to quicken the ratio lock to lock, otherwise it's pretty good.

You'd have to join the Corvair network to learn all the tricks.
    Cool story, thanks for posting it. My '69 Dart GT had those same hubcaps. I did end up selling my '68 Dart. The guy paid for it in full, and I gave him the title. He hasn't come to pick it up yet, though.
    Corvair to Corvette, my head is spinning. 1168, 23 pages on ebay, something for everyone. Clearly the 60's are preferred but since you have brought them into the picture give me your analysis of the 70's,80's and 90's. I like the look of the late 70's and early 80's. Many well kept under 10 with no takers, why ? I liked the Pontiac. Am I right to think that a clone is a lesser model dressed up with script pretending to be the real thing ? Any more suggestions of strong candidates for the financially challenged will be considered.
    In the case of the GTO, Pontiac itself "dressed up" a Lemans, so the term "clone" seems a bit hypocritical to me. But yes, a clone is a FAKE, but not necessarily any less a car.

After 1972 or so, American cars became burdened with clumsily-designed emissions controls, lower compression engines, and generally mediocre performance, quality and styling. They are simply not highly regarded by collectors and for good reason. The thrill is gone and you end up tinkering with them all the time.

This rarely gets any better until the mid 1980s, when you start to get some interesting American iron again, like the C4 Corvette and the Buick V-6 Turbo cars.

In fact, one could actually attribute the rise of the "red hot" collector car market for 50s and 60s cars, to the rather dismal choices people had of late 70s and early 80s cars.
    If that LeMans actually has a 389 in it, though, someone has been messing with it. Pontiac only put that engine in the GTO.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

No I mean that Pontiac just built up a Lemans into a GTO themselves (at first). The 64-65 GTO was just an option package on the Lemans. In '66 it became its own thing.
    Oh, OK, now I see. You're right, the GTO was just an upgraded LeMans. Actually, at the time, I wanted to take a GTO chassis (with drivetrain, suspension, etc.) and drop on a LeMans 4-door hardtop body with corresponding interior. Thought it would make a great Q-ship. A slightly weird idea, but not the weirdest that I had at that age.

• lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    My Q ship was going to be a 2 door 69 Valiant with Hemi Cuda engine and suspension with old-man hubcaps and the dual exhausts tucked discretly out of sight.

My logic was that the Barracuda was built on the Valiant chasis, so all the 'cuda parts should bolt right on.

A nice sleeper, I thought. Sometimes, in my more practical moments, I thought that I'd settle for a 340 instead of the Hemi.
    too many beers lokki....yes the 340 would be a much better choice. I think that hemi would twist that frame like a pretzel.
    A friend at the gas station tried to sell me his Dart with a 340...said it only had 20,000 miles. Course, he said he got those 1/4 mile at a time....that's why he had to hold the floor shifter in 2nd manually, otherwise it would pop out.
    My logic was that the Barracuda was built on the Valiant chasis, so all the 'cuda parts should bolt right on.

Well, they made Hemi Darts too, so it sounds like it would be a feasible thing to do, as long as you swapped everything you needed, and did the appropriate beefing up.

A 2-door Valiant would probably be sturdier, too, as it had a B-pillar and framed doors, whereas the Hemi Dart/Barracuda were hardtops.

But yeah, a 340 would probably be a much better bet overall. In the Dart GTS, the 340 was good for 0-60 in about 6 seconds, with an automatic tranny and middle-of-the-road 3.23:1 gearing. And that was just the 4-bbl 340, not the six pack.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I heard the Hemi is a lousy engine for a daily driver. It doesn't idle well, like slow speeds, or stop and go driving. It likes to be driven flat out.
    6 seconds? Did you get that from a GTS club website or maybe some "published times" from an old mag?

A 440 in that car wouldn't even run that. Show me the time slips is my skeptical response.

I'm thinking 7.5 to 8 is more real world.
    That 0-60 time has been in my mind for years now, so I don't know where it came from. I remember some test where they compared a 340 Dart, a 440 Dart, and a Hemi Dart. I want to say the times were around 6 for the 340, 5.8 for the 440, and 5 for the Hemi.

I know those buff rags tend to get a bit optimistic with their 0-60 times. Case in point, the infamous 3.9 second 1965 Catalina 2+2.

However, stuffy old Consumer Reports once tested a 1969 Charger with a 440-4bbl. automatic tranny, and 3.23:1 gears. Even they got 0-60 in 7 seconds flat...and CR's times tended to be a lot more conservative than the buff rags.

I remember an old test somewhere of either a Barracuda or a Dart GT with the hot 273-4bbl V-8, and with the automatic it came in around 7.5-8 seconds.

I think even a 1974 or so 360-4bbl in a Duster/Dart Sport was still good for 0-60 in around 6-6.5 seconds. And the 360 wasn't the performer that the 340 had been. Peak hp, when you're comparing net ratings, was similar, but the 340 had a broader power range.
    I found a summary of road tests showing a '70 Duster 340 at 5.9 seconds - no idea what was done to it, though. Next closest 340 was a '68 Barracuda at 7.1 seconds. The table had the '74 360 Duster at 8.2s.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Somewhat true of older performance hemis. The big block Wedge is a better daily driver.
    Cant' believe those numbers. I know when these old cars are run today, or put on dynos, well, they don't correspond to those numbers from way back when. Not even close.

Magazines of that time were notorious in faking numbers or....more excusable, very sloppy in how they did the tests.

The old big blocks make a lot of noise but they can't get much power to the ground, like a modern car.

I'm sure you could get 6 seconds out of a GTS with a balls to the wall modified 440.
    Oh, I know they're not what you'd call 'objective' - other thing was makers giving the mags specially-prepped versions. I seem to remember CandD catching one red-handed (Pontiac?).
    That was one famous one, but really some of these guys were using wristwatches while driving to gauge 0-60 speeds. I mean, c'mon.

And sure, you can install very low rear ends, use racing slicks, aviation gas, radically advanced timing, ice up the fuel supply, take out the spare and back seat and all that stuff and get at least another second or two out of it I'd guess.
This discussion has been closed.