Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Are you happy you didn't sell your SUV?

13»

Comments

• bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    I saw the thread titled, "Are you happy you didn't sell your SUV?" and had to chime in my 5 dollars worth.

We have a 2003 GMC Envoy that we bought for the following reasons:
    a) Utility - haul a lot of stuff at times
    b) 7 passengers (have had to use quite often)
    c) Pull our road trailer
    d) 4WD capability here up North, especially when it snows.

When the gas got high, some others around us were dumping their SUV's, buying a small car, and the bottom line was they lost money on the deal. I figured till I sold the SUV, and bought a small car, the savings in gas would never make up for what I would lose on the deal.

Besides ... the four reasons for purchasing the SUV in the first place, still hold true, so why the heck would I get rid of it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    the mild winters over the last few years made it seem like it the suv was overkill for the drving conditions.
    this year: payback! :P
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • daddysangeldaddysangel Member Posts: 14
    Thanks, Steve, for clarifing what exactly a `Nox is.

DA
  • daddysangeldaddysangel Member Posts: 14
    Agree with you about the Utility.

There was a mini Cooper spot that computed gas savings with one's current vehicle VS a new mini Cooper at $4.25/gallon for petrol/gasoline. I toyed with the spot several times.

However, with the low miles that my dad and I go around our small hometown in my 2005 Equinox LT, there's no rhyme or reason for trading to a mini Cooper.

According to the spot, I'd be in a deep hole looking up for ever :P

We'd have to put some bungie cords on my dad's rolling walker with it's bicycle streamers blowing in the wind while towing it behind us in the mini Cooper. Now that's an image to laugh at :D;)

Daddysangel
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    We have suv's that are literally at half of the ownership (30 year goal) time frame. One has app 11k per year and the other less than 8k per year. Due to business applications, they were never on a payment schedule and fully depreciated @ 5/6 years, A small issue: I still carry comprehensive insurance, as they stil have uncommon residual value. So the real persuader would be: how much over the monthly payments for a new economy car (say Civic- @ 400 per mo, plus the cost of gas $ 48. per mo. it actually uses) do I use for suv gas. So far the SUV gas ranges from 89-122 per month. What does the math say to others?
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    So the real persuader would be: how much over the monthly payments for a new economy car (say Civic- 400 per mo, plus the cost of gas $ 48. per mo. it actually uses) do I use for suv gas. So far the SUV gas ranges from 89-122 per month. What does the math say to others?

As the old robot on lost in Space used to say, "does not compute". ;)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "In fact there were times when I used to commute to LA that if they had sold a Abrums tank that got 12 MPG I would have driven that. "

Just for fun, note that the M1A3 Abrams tank gets 3 gallons per mile.
    Standard battle tank mileage was about 3 gallons ot the mile. Even the old M-60. I might have been able to squeeze a few more MPG out of 548 or a APC.

What I was saying however that there were times when I was in heavy traffic in LA if I could have pulled 12 MPG out of a tank I might have been willing to drive one. Maybe just a Bradley if I could get them to leave the gun mount?

But On long highway trips I do get 12 MPG pulling a travel trailer with my SUV. This is a fantastic country to tour and visit. The four Corner states have some very interesting history and plenty of RV parks where you can stay for $20-$30 a night. Unhook the SUV and drive to plenty of interesting sites. In May I would like to go see Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone. All things that make me glad I didn't sell my SUV. Without the trailer I can still pull down 16-17 MPG in comfort.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    You know I am now 65 years old and have not seen Yellowstone. It is on my list for sure. Now if I can just find an SUV I like that gets 30+ MPG on the highway, I may be satisfied. As long as it has XM radio.
    What do the hybrid SUVs get? My best friend just got back from a 3 month trip through the lower 48. He has a brand new Danali loaded with the 6.0 and he averaged just about 20.

I like my Tahoe and I would love it with a Diesel. Right now I believe I have the same size motor as you do, a 5.7? Cat back and cold air. But it looks like I might need a new muffler after all the snow I was in last year.

So far the best diesel I have owned was my old 7.2 Ford Powerstroke. 20 MPG towing 5000 pounds. But it had more than 500 Pounds feet of torque. Put that motor in my Tahoe and it would get 25 easy. The F-250 was a heavy beast.

Don't need XM because I prefer a multi changer with a good speaker system. The drop down DVD player is a nice option as well even if we have a flat screen in the RV. So leather, heated seats, zone heating and air, I have 4wd but 2wd would get better fuel mileage, and a towing package works for me. The Nav system is a nice addition as well.
    You know that was a real plus in the GMC Hybrid PU. The Bose system was far superior to the JBL in this Sequoia. I have a whole set of CDs that I burnt right from the originals. Then I only play the copy CD. This Toyota will not play half the CDs I have. Skips and has no changer. Changer and XM is not available with this lame NAV. If I could put the Audio and climate control from the GMC into the Toyota I would be way ahead here. Of course this pig is still lucky to get 17 MPG on the road. And it is only a 4.7L V8. It is about equal to the GMC 5.3L power wise. I tell you that BMW X5 diesel had some power. It was almost scary. I am sure I would get a ticket as it just jumps from 50 to 85 MPH. Passing on a hill with this Sequoia is marginal at best. It is not slow like a Prius or Corolla but nothing to write home about.

I am not totally sorry I bought this SUV. I probably should have waited till I found the diesel SUV I really want. I do have a young fellow that is very interested in the Sequoia. He has two kids with one on the way. Not room in his Rav4 for 3 child seats. He was working on my overhead door and fell in love with the Sequoia. He knew all about them and acted like he wanted to try and get financing. I won't give it away. I have the patience of Job when selling a vehicle. The GMC was on Craigslist over a year till I got my price.
    "You know I am now 65 years old and have not seen Yellowstone. It is on my list for sure. Now if I can just find an SUV I like that gets 30+ MPG on the highway, I may be satisfied. As long as it has XM radio. "

The Ford Escape Hybrid will net you 30+, if you stay around 70 MPH. I get around 32 with my 2008 AWD FEH @ 75 MPH.

It is no good for towing, however.

But it does have satellite radio, I'm not sure which one (the 2008 didn't come with it).
    The Escape is kind of small. I can get 30 on the highway with an X5 or ML320 CDI. Both a lot bigger, better handling, quieter, more comfortable. I don't want to give up my Sequoia until I can get something better. Though if VW were to sell the Tiguan with the 4 cylinder diesel it would be worth the downsize. It should get near 40 on the highway. That and my Sister and brother in law just tried to buy a FEH in October. No discounts, which ended up $10k more than the V6 they got that is loaded. I rode in back and it was not comfortable AT ALL. They like taking ours when we go on trips to the desert.
    Many new hybrid SUVs come with XM or Sirus? My friends Denali got a year free. I don't think unless they start offering diesels in SUVs you are going to get something that can tow that gets much better than 21 MPG.
    our '04 escape has leather and the rear seats have some recline.
    last week we drove about 1600 miles visiting universities.
    they seemed ok to me.
    in a role reversal, a couple of times i sat in the back watching a movie, while my daughter drove. :blush:
    "The Escape is kind of small. I can get 30 on the highway with an X5 or ML320 CDI. Both a lot bigger, better handling, quieter, more comfortable."

... and both are a LOT more expensive. I think the Tiguan is about the same size as the FEH. As to price, it depends on where you shop. The dealer here tends to keep them on the lot (last time I checked), where as some dealers in the mid west have maybe one or two per quarter. Ford only produces 25K FEH per year due to lack of batteries.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,685
    I've been fairly impressed with the packaging of the Escape. For being a small-ish vehicle, it seems pretty roomy inside. Now if you need a third row seat, or full-sized SUV-type cargo space, it's not going to cut it, but it seems like a decent 4-adult vehicle.
    my wife still loves her '04 escape, but we are kind of looking for another vehicle due to too many drivers and not enough cars; opposite of you. ;)
    with some fortera triple treads on it, she has no problems when the weather is bad.
    that's usually when she points out how much she likes it.
    we have 4 fords, so we will be looking at another one.
    my wife wants an escape hybrid. there is a limited model now like she has now, but they are very expensive.
    i am thinking the 4cyl/6 speed limited would be a good choice for us, instead.
    while doing my research, i noticed the escape has about the same cargo capacity as an edge!
    "my wife wants an escape hybrid. there is a limited model now like she has now, but they are very expensive.
    i am thinking the 4cyl/6 speed limited would be a good choice for us, instead. "

You would not make up the difference in price unless you own for 6 - 10 years (depends on gas prices). I got the FEH because I wanted the technology, and all my miles are in town. But the FEH limited is pricey unless you can find a deal. Also, unless you live in California, there may be very limited selection.

If you can sign a deal before March 30, you can qualify for the Hybrid tax credit, which runs $3000 for the FWD and $2200 for he AWD.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    The tax credit might make it pencil out, if you drive a lot and gas prices go back up (which they must, eventually). But personally, I am a big believer that simpler is better. :shades:
  • stewpidasostewpidaso Member Posts: 45
    I agree minivans r the best especially if you need the room or have a family. they typically get better gas mileage & the sliding doors are so convienent when you have kids(don't have to worry bout them banging doors & easy in and out). It's to bad domestic automakers don't make a good minivan. I would have definetly bought that ford flex if it had rear sliding doors. Heyll, why don't they put power sliding doors on the front doors too? it would be like jumping in a spaceship. haha or put sliding doors on suv's? I'm a sliding door advocate as you can see, easy access baby!!!
This discussion has been closed.