Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• rubiconrobertrubiconrobert Member Posts: 3
    look on the turn signal lever for it
  • dldjeep01dldjeep01 Member Posts: 6
    :lemon: I posted earlier with problems with my new 2007Jeep 4x44dr having a problem with what is called the "death wobble" It has now been back to the dealer 4 times and the last time someone from Chrysler actually came in and replaced the steering dampener. I am still having the problem and I now have a lovely $30,000 lawn ornament. Has anyone had any luck under the lemon law for the death wobble? :lemon:
  • edna20edna20 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Wrangler. This morning I thought it felt like the fan was blowing cold air even though the heat was on. I noticed on the way home after work that as long as I am moving the air is hot, but then when I stop it gets cold. I've ready a bunch of different things about the heat core and vent flaps and such but wanted to know if anyone could help narrow it down for me before I blow a lot of money fixing something that maybe isn't needed!
  • jaxgepjaxgep Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 97 WRANGLER 4 CYL. I AM HAVEING A PROBLEM WITH A ENGINE LIGHT COMING ON. THE CODE AT ADVANCE AUTO IS FUEL SYSTEM LEAN. I HAVE HAD A O2 SENSOR RP\EPLACED A BOUT 6 TIMES SINCE MARCH.
    CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY IDEA WHAT MAY BE GOING ON. THANK JD.
  • rockfreak121rockfreak121 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Jeep wrangler 4cyl. When i start my jeep up it runs fine for about 30 sec then starts to idle very low and rough. It continues to do this for about a minuite or 2 then starts to idle ok again. The same thing happens when i first start the jeep and drive it. It drives ok for about 10 sec then starts to run rough and backfire if i dont let off the accelerator. If i do let off the accelerator it does the same as i explained in the first sentence. If i dont let off the gas it wont accelerate and backfires. If i press in the clutch and rev it up for about 5 sec it will stop doing this and drive fine. Also, The engine has to turn over more than it should to start it, it lags a bit. The problem occurs mainly when the engine is cold or hasent been driven in half an hour or so. Please let me know if anyone knows the problem.

Thanx.
  • str86pwrstr86pwr Member Posts: 2
    I have replaced every sensor under the hood connected to the throttle body even the tps sensor. But when i come to a stop the engine idles around 1100rpm then drops down too 900rpm all the time. any suggestions?
  • str86pwrstr86pwr Member Posts: 2
    check your timing. make sure it's in spec. make sure it's not retarded too much.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    But when i come to a stop the engine idles around 1100rpm then drops down too 900rpm all the time.

My 1999 Sahara does the same thing- especially when ambient temps are over 70F. It drives me nuts.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sosgoodsosgood Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 that the instrument cluster just went out. The fuse is good, and i checked all the wire harness and did not find a smoking gun. I look to try the instrument cluster disconnect but could not find it. Any help? Also, the overhead lights do not work.

Thanks
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    You may want to do a physical check while it is idling and see if the throttle cable is returning to full closed position. I have a hand throttle and if I forget to turn it all the way off, it has a similar effect.

If it is idling that high and the cable is good, perhaps take it to Autozone while it is running and have them check to see if any codes are being thrown.

-Paul
    1. Remove cover over defrost vent. Pries right out.
    2. Remove 3 screws underneath holding on top of black dash cover.
    3. Remove knee panel with 2 phillips screws.
    4. Remove metal panel under knee panel with 2 phillips screws.
    5. Remove 2 screws holding on lower portion of black dash cover and remove cover.
    6. Remove 2 screws holding on dash. Pull out.
    7. Check contacts for wear/oxidation/dirt. Clean with denatured alcohol and q-tip. Be sure all pins are straight. Coat with dielectric grease for good contact.

Reattach is reverse.

For overhead light, ensure Fuse #4 is installed and good.

-Paul
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    If it is idling that high and the cable is good, perhaps take it to Autozone while it is running and have them check to see if any codes are being thrown.

Cable is good and no codes. I also cleaned the throttle body, no joy...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• wranglerpainwranglerpain Member Posts: 2
    Man I had the same problem for years!!!!All you have to do is disconnect the o2 sensor! I know sounds wierd but thats all it is . Next time you start it up and it starts its crap, go underneath the jeep and disconnect the sensor ( it's pigtailed so it will just unplug) and thats that! The only down fall is your check engine light will come on . Now on mine there is a pre- catalytic and post catalytic O2 sensor but they run in sequence! So undo 1 and it wil overide the other! Trust me give it a try it took me years and all my patience to find this bug!!!!!
  • wranglerpainwranglerpain Member Posts: 2
    My airbag light recently came on on my 97 wrangler. At the same time I noticed my horn was no longer working! Iv'e checked the fuses and they look o.k.I even removed the airbag module from the steering wheel to see if the wires were broken or severed....nothing. Any ideas other than replacing the whole system....can get quite pricey?
  • burntupburntup Member Posts: 64
    Your JEEP idles rough and backfires because it is caught in the money sucking vortex of The Dodge Chrysler JEEP Corparuption.

I have had the O2 sensors replaced replaced on my fine 99 three times.
    I think the solution might be to put an "Off Road Only" exhaust system on and stab the check engine light with an ice pick.

...ice pick, ice pick, ice pick. I might have found the perfect tool for negotiating with the smiling non-Service Manager- at My Friendly JEEP Dealer.

????Dealers????

Why do those who sell cars go by the same name as those who stand on the corner an sell crack?
  • vickyltvickylt Member Posts: 9
    The shifter used to shift gears with makes rattleing noises all the time...like something is loose where the shifting actually goes on. This happens while driving and already in gear or changing gears. Is this normal for a Jeep or could this be problems? If so, what kind of problems and what is the fix for it? Something a mechanic would have to fix or something a novice could do? Repair cost? Thanks for your help!
    Your transmission mount, that attaches the transmission to the skid plate, may be loose or broken. It is NOT a hard fix and the part is not expensive at all (less than $30.00 IIRC).

-Paul
    Paul, thanks for emailing...how do I get to this in order to replace it (inside of jeep or underside)? Do you by chance have any instructions? Thanks so much, Vicky
  • btezrabtezra Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same exact issue w/ my 1997 Wrangler as well. Did you receive any info on what may be the issue or a possible solution yet?

I have to take mine in for inspection next month, was hoping it is not a pricey fix ;-)

Any info is greatly appreciated - thank you!

Craig
    The only response I received was to pull the boot/console off and check the skid plate that attaches to the shifter and make sure nothing is loose and that it's not broken. I'm just not sure how to take that apart! :)
  • btezrabtezra Member Posts: 2
    is that in reference to my reply about the air bag light/horn not working????
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The transmission mount has to be replaced from under the vehicle.
    If you look underneath below the doors, you'll see a large plate about two feet wide that goes from one chassis rail to the other. The plate is attached to the chassis by three bolts on each side.

In the center, on top of the plate, is the transmission mount, and on top of that is the transmission. The transmission mount is attached to both the plate and the transmission by bolts.

To remove the mount, first support the front of the transmission where it joins with the engine using a jack stand or blocks. Next, remove the bolts that secure the mount to the plate. Then, while supporting the plate, remove the three bolts on either side that secure the plate to the chassis and carefully lower it out of the way. Finally, unbolt the transmission mount itself.

Reverse the procedure to replace it. You can easily do this job yourself if you have a floor jack for the support and lowering of the plate, otherwise you'll need the help of a friend.
    This is invariably an issue with the clockspring, which is a device that allows the steering wheel to rotate while maintaining electrical connections to the column.

Either a faulty clockspring itself, or a poor connection to it, usually the ground.
    Hi Mac24...the sound sounds like it is right there inside the Jeep where the boot that covers the shifter is. Do you still think it's the transmission mount or could it be something loose inside that boot? If so, does the boot pull off easily?
    If the mount is bad it can allow the whole transmission to vibrate, which in turn will cause the shifter to shake and make noise.

However, there are a few other things that can cause the same thing but unfortunately, while they can be fairly easy to rectify, most of them require the transmission to be removed to access them.

To remove the boot you just need to unsnap the bezel, then the pull the boot up the shaft. You should then be able to see (a) which (if any) parts of the shifter or its mating parts in the shift tower have excessive movement, and (b) how little room there is to do anything at all through the hole in the tub.
    Vicky, basically, you need to support the transmission with a floor jack or jackstand, then remove the 6 bolts holding the transfer case skid on the frame (aka the shovel) as well as the 4 bolts holding the transmission onto the skid plate. Once you remove those 10 bolts, you can remove the skid. The mount is on the bottom of the transmission and just bolts on.

-Paul
  • skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
    I noticed that the knob that selects the direction of the heat may open vents. I make sure its all the way to the left now and will see if that was the cause of my water problem. When I turn it all the way to the left you an almost hear the vents closing. Who knows?
  • efosterefoster Member Posts: 2
    I've got a Stright 6, 4.0 2005 Wrangler Unlimited.
    Yesterday my CEL came on. I was able to get the Diagnostiv Code just not sure what it means in English! Help
    P2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Low Limit
  • efosterefoster Member Posts: 2
    Ok, So I have been looking online until my eyes have crossed, and am really not coming up with much. I have found references for Dodge ect, but nothing really referencing Jeep. Anyone have any experience with this code and thier Jeep!
    Take it to autozone (or call em) and ask em what it means - they read the codes for free.

-Paul
  • rbyrumrbyrum Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Wrangler and the first time I crank it each day it runs fine until I shut it off for a short period of time, when I crank it back up and take off it starts to spit and sputter for a while. If it sits all day while I'm at work it runs fine. I have replaced the wires,plugs,cap and rotor.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    It is likely the fuel lines are the problem. When they get very hot like they do in a engine compartment with a hot engine and little airflow, some of the fuel in the lines may vaporize causing the fuel injectors to push out fuel with pockets of vapor when you first start up. If this is the problem it should only last for a very short time and then the engine should return to normal as fresh cool fuel enters the lines. This problem may be caused by lower than normal fuel pressure. You can also try insulating the fuel lines at the top of the engine right before they go into the injectors, just don't use anything flammable.
  • kevinmk3kevinmk3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler and my spedometer lights at night do not turn on, as well as all my rear break/blinker lights are out as well. I was wondering what I need to do to fix the problem. Hope someone knows what to do.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • rbyrumrbyrum Member Posts: 2
    It does not have to get hot, example I can crank it first time after sitting all night and drive it for less than 5 minutes, shut it off then re-crank and when I take off it statrs to spit and sputter I even hear it pop some times.
  • msantos003msantos003 Member Posts: 2
    the problem i am having is when it is cold outside and i take off in my jeep for the frist time it hesitates and jerks until the engine warms up. it will do it somtimes when it is not cold outside but all the time when it is can somone help me i want to take it in to get fix but i like to have an idea whats wrong.
  • msantos003msantos003 Member Posts: 2
    my problem is when i make a turn going at slows speeds i hear a whining sound coming from the back i think it is the rear end but not sure i have got the rear end rebuit at the dealer once before i just dont understand why it keeps going bad please help
  • rryanjrrryanjr Member Posts: 4
    Hey everybody, I recently got into a fight with a phone pole and am in need of a full driver side door. Anybody from New York know where I could get one without sacrificing my first born?
  • skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
    I forgot to ask....is there a possibility that this could have been the cause of the water on the driver side floor?
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    The auto parts section of your nearest craigslist would be the best starting point.
  • jphackjphack Member Posts: 2
    my 1997 wrangler 2.5 was running great....then it decided to run at max speed only!
    While on the local hiway, it suddenly in traffic, accelerated to max RPM. I have checked throttle linkage, and all of the obvious, check for codes....nothing! The throttle body butterfly is closed, and the linkage, return spring, etc. appears normal. I suspect TPS, but shouldn't it set a code? Help, Please!!!
  • jphackjphack Member Posts: 2
    I just changed the TPS, no difference!! It still still goes to full throttle without touching the accelerator. :confuse:
  • wvjeepnwvjeepn Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 wrangler and have a problem we just can't figure out... after driving for about 20 min, and the jeep heats up, it acts like it is running out of gas and won't idle unless you take your foot off the accelerater, it almost always does it when going up a hill. If you sit and let it cool for a for a few minutes it will run again for a 1/4 mile and starts all over again. We have replaced the fuel pump, ignition coil, pickup on the distributor. It also had new plugs, wires and dist. cap and rotor button prior to this problem. We also checked the cat. converter and it wasn't plugged. Any help would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • wvjeepnwvjeepn Member Posts: 2
    Hey I just read one of your past posts about your jeep acting up after you drove for a about ten min. Mine is a 99 and is doing the exact same thing. After about 10 minutes it acts like it is running out of gas, shut it off and cool a few min then you can go another 20 feet and it does it again. We replaced the fuel pump, ignition coil, dist. pickup, and it already had new plugs and wires. Did you find out what the problem was? I'm so sick of throwing money away, would really apprecitate any info you have.
    Thanks,
    Kat
  • buglvr70buglvr70 Member Posts: 1
    Hey folks need some help. I drove my wrangler all day stoppin here and there. At one point when I went to start it, as soon as it was turning over it made this nasty noise and sounded like someone threw rocks under the hood. Then it was smooth. I went to my next stop...same thing, I checked to see if anything was loose...nothing. When I got home. I started it again, it was fine!??! Plus at one point I was driving, and the "check gage" light came on and the oil gage was bouncing from the left to the middle of the gage. Back in forth and then it stopped and didnt do it again. Is my car haunted??? Am I carzy?? Please help...

:confuse:
    Check your throttle position sensor. I had identical problems once I gave my Jeep a mud bath while offroading. :) Simple $50.00 fix and you can install it yourself easily with a torx bit and socket set.

-Paul
  • jeepgermanyjeepgermany Member Posts: 3
    I tried to engage the 4wd on my jeep and the lever seemed to jam. Eventually it went up but the 4wd light did not engage and the gears seemed to spin. I also had trouble getting back into normal drive but it eventually did.

What steps would i take to diagnose and repair this problem?
  • burntupburntup Member Posts: 64
    A question or two...or five...or 7.
    When you attempted to engage Four Wheel Drive was your JEEP moving or stopped?
    Do you have an automatic or an manual transmission?
    How often do you engage Four Wheel Drive?
    When you attempted to disengage was your JEEP moving?
    When was the last time the front axle was serviced?
    ...last time the front drive train was submerged?
    ...miles on JEEP?
  • jeepgermanyjeepgermany Member Posts: 3
    1) stopped
    2)manual
    3) rarely, mostly highway driving here in Germany
    4) reengaged while stopped, but moved forward a bit thinking it was in 4WD but light was out
    5) unknown, not in the last 9 months since i purchased it
    6) last time it was submerged was 5 months ago
    7)80000 miles on jeep

Thanks
  • egeorge1egeorge1 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2001 4 CYL W/AC AUTO WRANGLER. THE ENGINE RUNS FINE FOR THE FIRST 4 OR 5 MILES THEN MISSES AT IDLE AND SLOW SPEEDS. MASHING THE GAS PEDAL TO THE FLOOR AND IT TAKES OFF ONLY TO MISS AGAIN AT SLOWER SPEEDS. ANY IDEAS
  • rebel99rebel99 Member Posts: 11
    hey yall i just bought a 2000 jeep wrangler tj and i freakin love it. it has a soft top and half doors and i was playin around with it gettin to know all the stuff and i noticed that when i take the doors off the interior light does not go off and i cannot find out how to turn it off, ive tried many things. now, i found the sensor on the door frame where when the doors pushes it in the light goes off, but how does that happen if theres no door at all?! anyways i know its a rookie question but im new to jeeps, so if i could get some feedback on my little dilema i would be more than greatful, because i love driving with the doors off. thanks in advance! :confuse: