Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Just a heads up to new 4runner buyers... Stopped by a tire shop to buy wheel locks for my new 4runner and learned that road hazard coverage is not included on the tires. If you want it, you can usually purchase it inexpensively from a tire chain. Discount sold me road hazard for $80 or $20/tire..
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    Funny you should have that story, as I traded in my Integra for my 91. I did not have any reservations about going from a little sports car to a truck. I have been a 4-runner owner ever since. I do drive long distances to work(33miles one way) and the truck is great in good and bad weather.
    Hope if works out for you.
    I agree that you should find another dealer to investigate the maint light. I also have an Accord, and my Maint light went on. Apparently, the light goes on the Hondas whenever scheduled maintenance is required, and I guess I missed that part in the manual.
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Chidofu, you need to go to your manual and read pages 115 (h) and 120-121 (h). The maintenance light signals a need to CHANGE your oil, not add oil. You should also immediately check the oil level on the dipstick. If it's significantly above the "full" mark bcause of the oil you've added, you're in danger of the crankshaft counterweights whipping the oil into a froth that can't lubricate your engine properly.

The procedure for resetting the light is called out on page 121 (h). I heartily agree with BMW323 that any dealer that doesn't know this should be avoided!

-Karl
  • ltc9024ltc9024 Member Posts: 11
    rlopez2032: I have the V8 Limited. This discussion has come numerous times. I have checked and the owners manual for BOTH the V6 and V8 and both say exactly the same thing on page 242, "SELECT Octane Rating 87 or higher. For improved vehicle performance the use of Octane rating 91 is RECOMMENDED." If using Octane 91(premium) was needed it would not even mention 87 but would have said Octane Rating 91 REQUIRED!!! Any independent studies I have read say that unless the manufacturer says that premium is REQUIRED you are wasting your money using it. Mine runs just fine on 87. One of these months I might try 91 for the month to see if there is a difference but I doubt it.
    Just my view.
    SAVE YOUR MONEY.
  • olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    I'm pretty sure if you have the A/C on AUTO and it's very hot in the vehicle, it automatically engages the recirc function when you start up until the interior cools down a little. That's what mine does, anyway.
  • hannerhanhannerhan Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone with the exhaust smell problem purchased the Borla dual exhaust that is now available? I am considering getting a V8 model, and adding that exhaust, and was hoping that since the exhaust would be directed to the sides, it wouldn't go in the back window if open...

Just a thought.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    I purchased a 4x4 Sport V8 with the dual factory Borla exhaust. Yes, it has grey cladding and I LOVE it! Anyway, the Borla is SWEET! Gurgles and has instant throttle response. It reminds me of a Cobra SVT. I have not had any issue whatsoever concerning the sulphur smell. I have had my windows/sunroof down numerous times and run Phillips 66 93 octane. Great machine, I traded a '02 4x4 Sport for this baby. The V8 power is short of remarkable, I am sure the Borla adds
    ~10 or 15hp and probably an additional 20ft/lbs of torque over stock. The air cleaner is a reuseable Borla similar to K & N. Nice to have this exhaust and a 6/75,000 warranty.
  • ckshubinckshubin Member Posts: 39
    What the maximum towing capacity of the Toyota 4Runner is? I'm researching vehicles to tow a trailer and cannot find the info for the 4Runner on it's towing capacity. Info is usually in the owner's manual....

Thanks!
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    I take it you mean the new 2003's?

For the current 2003's, I believe it's 5000lbs. However, I think the more newly manufactured V8 2003's may have an upgraded tow hitch with a higher capacity.

There were some posts earlier in this forum about towing capacity, it wouldn't hurt you to use the search function to find 'em.
  • jak001jak001 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 V6 Ltd. Like a lot of things about vehicle. However, have a couple annoying problems that I wonder if anyone can relate to. there is an annoying squeak coming from front end suspension. usually notice at slow speeds. also the drivers seat has a squeak that is annoying. Dealer has not been able to solve either problem.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Jak001,

Similar things have been brought up in here more than a few times. Try searching for them, and you might find some answers that were written well back then.

-Jared
    Do you know where I can purchase this system aftermarket? I also have an 03 V8 Sport, and would like to check this out.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    They have a website, http://www.borla.com

I ended up just searching for it on Google and found it there. The setup looks fairly interesting. I don't know much about putting in aftermarket exhausts or how hard they are to install, though. Looks like they wanted $869 for the '03 4Runner system on their site. Wonder if anywhere else has it cheaper....
  • jak001jak001 Member Posts: 6
    jared, Thanks for your suggestion. I searched and only remedy I found had to do with side air bags. I do not have side air bags. Also, loking for input on suspension squeaks.Have another appt at dealer next week and would either like to offer solution seeing as that dont have one or else show them this a common problem on 03 4 runner
  • jagsdadjagsdad Member Posts: 56
    What is a Borla factory dual exhaust? What does it do? Any drawbacks? Is it really a factory option? If so, how much does it cost. I did not see that option on any of the Toyota literature?
    For those who asked, I inquired with my "insider" source at Toyota. He said he did not know about "any new colors yet." Take that for what it is. He previously told me he expected that there would be some new color options. I'll post an update if I get any more information.
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
  • rlopez2032rlopez2032 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the response, I also have the V8 although mine is a Sport Edition. I definitely will use regular unleaded next time I have to go to the pump. Just bought my first full tank yesterday and spent over $30.00 on premium unleaded gas. For somebody who is used to driving a 4 cylinder Honda, this is quite a shock. Don't exactly know how much less it would be a full tank of regular unleaded but it should be much less than $30.00, I hope.
  • car_geekcar_geek Member Posts: 8
    In my area the difference in price between regular and premium is about 20 cents, so on a tank of 23 gallons your talking about $4.60 extra. Of course that ads up over time.

BTW - my friend has a Porsche and the dealer 'caught' him putting a tank of regular in his car. He brought it in for service and it showed up in the computer when they ran a diagnostic - they asked him about it !
    Check out Performance Products, they offer the Borla cat-back for $750ish. The Borla is a Port installed set-up that has stainless dual pipes, I noticed last night that it also includes a Borla intake reusable filter and free flowing intake. Performance claims that the system can be bolted on in your garage, just two screws and a gasket. I paid about $500 for the option from the dealer. Also, I am not noticing any sulphur smell from my exhaust. I held my hand up to the Borla stacks last night and it smelled like roses. The Borla makes the rig sound like an old Cobra SVT that my brother had, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, SWEET! I hand washed my rig for the first time last night, the gray cladding is very nice, no streaks, runs or other headaches associated with a painted surface, the water/soap just floated gently away.
  • jorgjorgjorgjorg Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all your updates. Has you been able to confirm with your insider that they in fact will still produce 4WD Sports with V6 in 04. Still getting wishy washy answers from various dealers.

I'm really questioning when they say not in production as really meaning not part of the cookie cutter stock send to dealers, but the factory will still make 'em. Any insight much appreciated.
  • car_geekcar_geek Member Posts: 8
    Narrowed down my choices between a 4Runner SR5 and Sport Edition - Sport has a few extra options such as side airbags, leather steering wheel w/audio and of course the X-REAS suspension. They're offering the Sport for about a $1000 more. Opinions ?
  • olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    My driver's squeaked like crazy (no airbags); they had to order & install an entire new seat frame. It's silent now (as it should be.) If you're not getting satisfaction from your dealer, email Toyota from their website. That seems to do the trick.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    I was looking at the Sport, and endup with a black SR5 that came w/ 17" wheels, side/curtain airbags, moonroof, leather steering wheel, 10 speaker JBL... The only thing really missing that distinguishes it from a Sport model is the hood scoop, the rear spoiler and the XREAS suspension. None of which were important to me. Note on the suspension.. was talking to one of the service guys and he noted that although the XREAS system is great, servicing costs could be substantially higher for any suspension work.
    I wouldn't buy a 4Runner without the side airbags (for safety)and X-REAS (for performance, and because its just so damn cool). You could order an SR5 with airbags, but you have to go Sport or Ltd to get X-REAS. So I'd suggest you get the Sport for the extra grand. I think you also get better brakes with the Sport too.
    Interesting. I hadn't heard of the dual exhaust as a port-installed option offered by Toyota. Are you sure it was port-installed and not a dealer-installed aftermarket upgrade? Sometimes dealers trick out vehicles with aftermarket stuff, like fancy rims and better leather interiors. Maybe I'm wrong. Even if it is aftermarket, sounds super cool anyway... And for $500 sounds worth it. Can you tell me more about the air cleaner? Is that located in the engine compartment or connected to the cat-back system? How often do you change it?
  • uktruckeruktrucker Member Posts: 14
    My 2003 Limited V8 is about to go in for it's first service at 3K. I'm still getting a vibration under load which peaks around 1700 rpm and disappears above 2000 rpm. It can be felt though the pedals and steering wheel, and heard as what sounds like exhaust resonance. The problem occurs if I torque brake the truck and rev it to 1700 rpm, so it's definitely engine induced via the exhaust, engine mounts, skid plates or something. Looking around the web it looks like some people with the Lexus GX470 have the same problem, so I supect I'm probably not the only 4runner owner with the problem too. Has anybody got anything definitive on this issue I can tell the dealer before I get an "they all do that" response...

Also, for some reason the cover over the dashboard centre speaker has started to rattle. Anyone know how to take it off?

Other than these issues this is a great truck. If they could sort out this boom and buzz it'd be even better.
  • hannerhanhannerhan Member Posts: 18
    It is a port installed option in the Southeast region of the US only. I believe there are also 18 inch wheels available down there...

I am not in the Southeast, but I think I will buy the Borla when I get my Runner, and install it myself.
    A while back some people were commenting on how cool the Global Extremes 4Runner looked. For lots of good photos, check out safarigard.com and go to prodcucts/toyota, or go to projects/global extremes. Way cool. This is the company that outfitted that vehicle.
  • rokinkrokink Member Posts: 25
    I had a '96 4runner that had this high frequency vibration that I felt in the gas pedal, shift lever, and steering wheel. I later learned that it was in the Land Cruisers and previous 4runners as well. I am not surprised that it is in the GX as well. BTW, it is in my '03 V8. I would not worry about it. It is normal for Toyota trucks.
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Uktrucker, I strongly suspect they do, in fact, all do that. The demo I drove did and our V8 Limited does also. It's really pretty minor, and I don't have a problem living with it. I'd guess that it probably involves a harmonic resonance that they weren't able to tune out.

As mentioned above, our '98 'Runner had a similar problem, although it occurred at 2700 rpms.

-Karl
  • dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    Drove at highway speeds with the back window down for the first time today. Needed to haul some 2x4's and had to let them stick out the window. Got the sulphur smell when I had one or more of the side windows open, but if all that was open was the tailgate window, I didn't get the smell. Actually the smell was kind of invigorating and it cleared my sinuses!! I LOVE my 4Runner, even if it isn't perfect
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    dust90, do you have a V6 or V8?

BTW, a week or so ago I was driving behind a Camry (looked at least 5 years old), and I could smell a mild sulphur smell, so it looks like this problem has been around for a while. Shame on Toyota for producing stinky cars, it's just not cool :-(
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    and all cars and trucks do it a little bit sometimes, folks! It is often worse from vehicles that have not been kept in good tune, or are under load (steep hill, pedal-floored acceleration).

I notice it from all cars whenever I leave California...Seattle is one of my favorite destinations, and I'll be darned if less than about one in ten cars there stinks exactly the same way. I always used to attribute it to the fact that they have much less stringent emissions standards up there, and since it is people in federal-standard states that are reporting this problem, I have to believe there is at least some validity to my little theory!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• reddfishreddfish Member Posts: 54
    I was offered a v6 limited with nav for $37600, is that bad or good?
  • rokinkrokink Member Posts: 25
    reddfish: Tell us what other options are on the vehicle.
    I think this problem with the sulpher smell may be bigger than we thought. Yesterday I was walking behind my son, who was riding is tri-cycle. Sure enough, I smelled the sulpher smell. I investigated and foud that Toyota also has a company that makes trikes--Toyotricycles. I'm calling my congressperson...
  • reddfishreddfish Member Posts: 54
    6 disc cd changer, plus all the standard options on the limited. no mention of any others
    That price sounds high, unless its out the door. I presume its a 2WD. Isn't the invoice on Edmunds for that setup about $34K? Have you looked at the message board, "2003 4Runner...What did you pay?" It seems you should be getting them down close to invoice. The SR5s and Sports seem to be going considerably below invoice.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Well I headed East out of San Diego to Ocotillo Wells SVRA in the Anzo Barrego Desert to go offroading in the new 4runner. My review is absolutely amazing. I have a sport, so I have X-REAS and let me tell you, that when you are teetering through tight canyons, or over rocks, you can really feel the benefit. The truck was so stable and solid, it was unbelievable. I even towed another truck (I think a ford 150 modified) out of a sand bank within the first 3 miles (which tested the towing capacity really quickly). The only downside was that with X-reas and that stiff suspension, you can really feel the ruts, but I wouldn't trade it for anything when it comes to being able to really feel your way over obstacles.
    I had time in deep sand, and it floated through flawlessly (I kept up speed of course). I tested the DAC (downhill assist control) which worked, but was a huge leap of faith taking my foot off the brake! And I also spent much time in 4-LO, which was so powerful (I have the V-6) over rocks and over the big hills. Overall, amazing truck, didn't scrape at all going over things, and the Air conditioning and stereo was a blessing in the 104 degree, two hour off-road trek.
  • leej2leej2 Member Posts: 7
    Since the "rotten egg" discussion is kicking up again all interested may want to check the following link from The Irish Petroleum Industry Association. It was the most informative thing that I could find with a quick search of the web.

http://www.ipia.ie/oilbrief/hydrogen.htm#Hydrogen%20Sulphide%20Nu- isance%20from%20Vehicles%20fitted%20with%20Catalytic%20Converters

A couple of excerpts:

A small number of cases have been reported of catalyst cars producing a smell of bad eggs associated with formation of hydrogen sulphide. The problem arises through:

...the presence of a low level of sulphur compounds in petrol

...the storage of sulphur by the catalyst during lean operations
    ... the release of hydrogen sulphide during fuel rich operations e.g. heavy acceleration, sharp deceleration after cruising, warm up.

and

The smell associated with hydrogen sulphide from catalysts is perceived as unpleasant and a nuisance. The human nose if particularly sensitive to hydrogen sulphide and can detect it at concentrations as low as a few parts per billion. This is around a thousand times lower than the concentrations likely to give rise to health concerns.

It sound as though there may be fixes by using Catalytic converters with different designs. Maybe after-market?
  • dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    Mine is the V8

jagsdad, find out what your son had been eating before you call your congressman! It may not have been the tricycle! My boy can certainly emit some strange gases at times!!
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    I haven't experienced the smell problem, but I've been interested in this topic nonetheless. Hearing about different experiences, I've been wondering if there might be a way to change the system operating point to reduce or eliminate the smell. leej2's post gives me enough information to suggest some possibilities.

Because of the emissions laws and warranty issues, it might be a problem to change the cats or to make significant adjustment changes. However if this problem is due to an unusual (but sometimes persistent) combination of operating conditions, it might be helpful to change those conditions, at least a little. These changes would still fall within the normal operating range of the system.

The obvious candidate is to swap out something like an oxygen sensor. These components control (in closed-loop operation anyway) the leanness or richness of the mixture. They're not lab-grade instruments, and so I assume they vary somewhat in their calibration, unit-to-unit. I'm wondering if they might vary enough to get the engine away from the operating point where it produces the smell.

I only know a little about this subject. Hopefully others can contribute, and maybe even perform an experiment if the approach looks promising and there is enough motivation.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You know the SO2 discussion has gone on too long when people start talking about flatulence.

tidester, host
  • nbuchanannbuchanan Member Posts: 6
    My boat trailer wiring harness has the conventional flat 4-way wiring plug. The hitch plug on my 4Runner is round, but I don't know if it's a 5, 6 or 7-way. Does anyone know which adapter I should use?

Many thanks!
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    nbuchanan,

I just went through the same thing, but I didn't get it to work correctly so I hoping someone else can help both us. By looking at the round connector on the 4runner, it looks like there are 7 connections. I too have a 4pin boat trailer so I bought a 7 to 4 converter from Autozone. Everything works except for turn signals. I am not sure what is wrong--still investigating.

SV
  • jcla7jcla7 Member Posts: 18
    sovang and nbuchanan, Just did the same thing. Got a 7 to 5 adapter and it works just fine. I've got the 5 pin trailer connection; I believe the fifth pin is to lock out the surge brake feature so one can back up without activating the surge brake. I wouldn't think 5 versus 4 would have any bearing on the blinkers. How old is the trailer?

Incidentally, just used the '03 V6 to tow my boat about 100 miles through some 2 lane, hilly terrain. It worked terrific. Then had to go down a really bad gravel/rock road to launch. Again, terrific. The more I drive this truck, the more I like it.

JC
    I tried mounting my 2", 1" shank width and 1.5" shank length into the factory supplied hitch receiver. The ball shank was too small, in other words the hole for the shank is 1.5" across, meaning I need a 1.5" shank width ball. I have looked everywhere for a ball that size. Am I missing something in the measurements? Also, the rig is rated to tow 5,000lbs, the factory hitch receiver is rated for 10,000lbs.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    JC,

I have an old trailer so it is possible that it was wired incorrectly. With my 7 to 4 converter, the left signals doesn't work atall and the right signal blinks all the lights--like when the emergency button is pressed.

SV