Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• rainman5542rainman5542 Member Posts: 114
    The only thing specific to success in the China market is the size of the backseat. It takes a lot of money to afford a Buick in China and owners usually get chauffered around, i.e., the owner rides in the backseat.

The silver lining in my onboard voice phone system is that my girlfriend's name is easily recognized. I can call her totally with one push of the steering wheel butoon and four commands in sequence.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    Backseat on Lacrosse is major item when hauling four adults. Wife ended up in back on trip with relatives and the reviews were outstanding on the room,comfort and overall experience.
    Good you can get girlfriend with one push of the button and four commands. FYI- make sure you get the right button and more importantly- the right commands.
    Have fun with the new car.
    Any comments on the 6- qt oil capacity in the 3.0L & 3.6L V-6. seems like a great approach to better lubrication and longer life???
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    And the right girlfriend.

6 quart? My book says 5.5 with filter?
    The Olds Aurora, Aurora engine by NorthStar, the 96 took 7 or 7.5 quarts. Mine also had oil cooler. The purpose of the extra oil was to aid in the cooling and have more consistant temperatures throughout the motor, hence longer life. It also used a high flow low pressure system to aid in uniformity of temperature. Coolant in the engine was full flow at all times.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    I know I'm jumping in late in the conversation, but the way the system seems to operate in my car is when you give the bluetooth command and it responds " bluetooth ready", it is handing the control of the call off to your cell. I haven't been able to get it to respond to call "home". the phone just says "pardon?". That is because stupid here :blush: doesn't know how to program voice commands into my phone, so it is my cellular device and not the car's system that can't obey the command. I hope this helps.
  • cooleyddcooleydd Member Posts: 105
    edited October 2010
    I do not believe that the System is supposed to download the phone numbers from any cell phone. Instead IF the cell phone is capable it is possible to access the numbers in the cell phone itself - no mass download just access those in the cell phone when the cell phone has the ability.

As for the remembered 30 phone contacts - these are shared with OnStar. I am not sure it OnStar is not operating if these 30 numbers would be available. I believe these must be entered separately with phone number and voice command to access.

You can store hundreds of addresses, etc. in the Nav system but these are not available by voice for cell phone calls.

Does this make sense?
    That is exactly how I understand the system to operate!!!
    rider: 5.5 in the 3.6L is correct. We have the 3.0 on the 2010 cxl and it calls for 6 qts. More oil capacity seems like a good thing for engine & oil life. Maybe the DOHC setup requires more oil in the system. The 3.0 also has a cast aluminum oil pan that replaces the old stamped steel design so they may have changed the oil pickup/sump setup also. The driveability is outstanding with the new 6-speed. We drive 10+ mph when possible and the car is "learning" our patterns at 70-80. Car really runs better at 80 due to higher RPMs like the old Cadillac 4.1L but much higher RPM due to DI and DOHC. Great overall design IMO.
    Those who have access to an App called Vlingo may be able to use it if it is available for your phone. It has a new feature (in Beta) which may allow you to access your cell phone "hands free" to make calls on your cell phone. I would assume if you can make a call using Vlingo and you have the phone system in your car - it would all go through the built-in system. If someone tries it - report back to us here.
    You are incorrect about how phonebook works. It does d/l from the phone each time you pair so it has the most up to date numbers and names. A Directory you can scroll thru appears on the car display.
    In my two cases, a Buick and a Dodge Journey, it is possible to use the Voice Commands in the PHONE. However, it is less handsfree and defeats the purpose of steering wheel controls and bluetooth connectivity.
    Contacts DO download and should (except in 2010 Lacrosse') Using the phone and its features is still possible but negates the usefulness of bluetooth and is not handsfree. Bluetooth lets me keep my phone in my pocket or briefcase. I never forget it in the car.

Alternatives put forth lately are a bit like using a wrench as a hammer.
    I've had engines with aluminum pan in the past. I read somewhere that it aided in cooling oil. Other than reasons stated earlier for more oil, maybe GM was trying to extend the time between oil changes as well.
    I'm glad to hear your setups are working great. I was suspicious of a problem on the 3.0 I drove. It just seemed to have no power when I put my foot in it. It seemed slower than Malibu with 4 cylinder. But it may have been my personal perception, yet I lean toward some issue on that one car.
    What RPM do you see at 70MPH?
    I hope that the units, 2010-2011, are essentially the same and it is just a matter of doing a program update to fix issues.
    If we knew who was actually making these for GM it might be possible to make direct contact with company and find out what they have in the works.
    Many such small boxes use Linux as an OS. I have two OTA HD TV tuners that use Linux. They were marketed by a US company as the first implementation of recieving HD over the air and you had to pay a fee to get box to work. The company went out of business. The boxes were made in China. Someone figured out how to reprogram them using a computer with Linux and changed them to work with all current over the air broadcasts. They even came out with updates that added functionality later on. Updates are available on internet. Just download and copy to thumbdrive. Plug USB thumbdrive into unit and do an initialization procedure. In a few minutes it would be reprogrammed with the latest and greatest features.
    Let us hope such will be so easy on these units.
    Is the phone bluetooth?
    On mine I have to go into the phone menus to turn on some features so that it will work with car bluetooth.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited October 2010
    Lately, it seems as though this thread has turned into a bashing exercise of the Lacrosse rather than sharing the positive aspects of the car. If the Lacrosse is so bad why would one spend all this money buying one? So guys temper your comments and instead of dissing share your tips and secrets of how to get more out of the car and how use the plethora of tech features in the Lacrosse.

'Nuff said!
    I have HID lamps. Along the upper edge, looking through the clear surface you might see a chrome twisted rope design. I see gaps in the chroming, one over an inch long. The sort of thing you might see on very old assemblies where the plastic is starting to separate or get water in.

Anyone else have this issue?
    Is yours absolutely perfect? Maybe it is the best car 'you' have ever owned.
    There is no doubt that there are a number of gadgets added to this vehicle that were not available just a few years ago. Nice, but not always functional according to some. With our posts and feedback, maybe these issues will be worked out.
    Billed as a luxury sedan, there are still issues with the basic automobile that stop it from getting the seal of being gold standard.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Since I hate cellphones and think that Bluetooth is just another stupidly-named gimmick that may or may not work as advertised anywhere it is used, I have no interest in reading page after page of gripes about how a car company may have built a vehicle that has some issues with a friggin' cellphone feature that probably cost $3.95. I would be far more interested in determining how the CAR works.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Has anyone pushed it to the limit yet? I have a long way to go before break-in is complete.
    Salesman told me he took one for a run. His full time profession is cop. He claimed it went to 140. It might have been a used one on lot, but in any case I find it strange there was not a limiter.
    Olds Aurora had 115 limiter unless you had V rated tires and speedometer went to 160. At 100 it started to feel a little light and like flying a small plane, but very respectable in handling and ride. It was bred for the autobahn. It was a bit noisy as well, like the air moving across the skin of an airplane.
    Cellphones are likely here to stay and you should be thankful for Bluetooth. I personally hope it will be a requirement that eventually disables being able to use the phone itself from the drivers seat.
    And for your info, much of the compaints are related to those who have the Navigation, a $1995.00 option. With that price tag we have a right to complain or try to figure out things collectively.

I do have a point though, that this Topic/thread needs to be subdivided to make it easier to find what you might be looking for.
    The 3.0L with the 2.77 final gear ratio runs at 1700 rpm at 65. At 75 it is around 1900 so at 70 it must be 1800 or so. Per prior posts I think that is why it does so well on the highway mileage with 29 average on first trip at 70 -75. 80-85 knocks it down to 27.5, understandably.
    The driveability issue you noted seems to be related to the programming in the 6-speed trans. You have to "drive aggressively" to get rpm's up with DOHC engine and the constant shift up tendency. We drive it on the road and it seems to like higher rpm's at 80 with less (or no)downshifting on most grades. It also seems to "learn" if you drive more or less aggressively IMO.
    Aluminum oil pan is normally a higher end feature so glad to see that. Short version is I see lots of Cadillac like stuff; heated leather seats,engine,trans & software, dual A/C, bigger brake rotors (12") and overall finish for a lot lower price point than Cadillac. Great choice for us.
    Interesting that 2011 3.6L uses same final drive ratio. It does make me wonder why the 3.0 was killed and if there were other drives with these engines. I have not compared the torque and power curves of these engines. Or bore and stroke.

I do have to wonder what part of GM pulls the strings on drivetrains these days. Prior to muscle cars, Lincoln and Cadillac were only allowed to get big powerful engines. Cadillac still had some control when it came to the Aurora. They would not allow the 4.6, only a downstroked version at 4.0L. The only Aurora that got the 4.6 was the first one off the line, used as prototype.
    I don't know which version was used in the Lucernne from inception. The 09's I looked at had the 4.6, known as the Super. I was disappointed to see that some options available on the other levels were not available in the Super. I'd bet Cadillac said, "No 4.6 unless some options are left off so you don't compete so closely with our Cadillac."
    The cell phone issues are issues with the car. The car was advertized one way but works another. Many of us make calls from our cars because we have to. Its part of business and trying to squeeze more efficiency out of each hour we are on the clock.

This is no different than a leaky sunroof, a radio that has noisy AM reception, a power window which won't work etc.

Perhaps we need to call on Edmunds to upgrade the forum so that topics can be separated into threads.
    edited October 2010
    I have some limited insight to the pre-CH XI GM, but hard to figure now with Lutz gone and new product design in hands of new "team" IMO. The 3.0 & 3.6 are same family and only diff I see is larger bore for more torque on 3.6 - same stroke with bored out block. 3.0 has been in Cadillac CTS for a while and well accepted. 270 HP on later models vs. 255 in Lacrosse. My take is that the 3.0 elimination had as much to do with marketing the 2.4 I-4 as much as anything. No 4's in Caddys for marketing reasons, so the 3.0 goes there. Also crossovers need V-6 and 3.0 is showing up in those.
    Friends with Caddys mostly state " fuel mileage is awful but runs like a racecar". Higher final gear with same 3.0 & 3.6L engine choices. So I agree with your comment, Cadillac is running some of the decisions due to their price point/competition- a $45,000 4 cylinder competing with BMW,Mercedes and Audi- not to mention the rice burners with very high output engines- I don't think so!
    Also the 3.6L Lacrosse loaded CXS that goes into the mid $30's had to be a better P&L contributor than the CX & CXL in the low 30's for the same basic car- just one guys opinion- and everyone has one.
    "......Contacts DO download and should (except in 2010 Lacrosse')"

That's what I meant, in the case of the Lacrosse. It seems as if the voice commands lend to the actual cellphone taking over the call.
    edited October 2010
    Why have a car based system, with voice control, if you force me to use the phone with its small buttons and screen as if it was a tiny remote control for the main GM system?

My prior car got this right. GM left it incomplete on 2010 models. I am told 2011 Lacrosse does the contact transfer into the car at each daily pairing.

Its poor customer service to fail to acknowedge my safety concern and my request for a firmware upgrade. It ought to be child's play. Dealers know zip. GM does not care and they think they are on track to catch Lexus with a CXS?
    "......Why have a car based system, with voice control, if you force me to use the phone with its small buttons and screen as if it was a tiny remote control for the main GM system?"

I undestand what you are saying. But what I have noticed (and I really only use bluetooth for incoming calls) is that you use the voice commands of your cellphone via the bluetooth connection. So you would say "call home" for the # you have listed on your cell as home, but the cell has to have "home" programmed for the slot with your home phone.

I dunno, my 72 year old father figured it out on his, but I'm still an electronic dunce.
    edited October 2010
    > This is no different than a leaky sunroof, a radio that has noisy AM reception, a power window which won't work etc.

--

Sorry, but it is very different. I don't need to supply my own weatherstrip with a sunroof, my own radio antenna for the radio, or my own switch mechanism for the window motor. And in none of those examples are the pieces I need to supply made by one of any number of shadowy Chinese manufacturing concerns who may or may not choose to make their product to a documented standard, if there even is one.

Some people have no problem with this. Some do. That alone tells me that the car is probably not the issue. In any event, it is extremely tedious to have to plow through page after page of discussion about something for which I have such fundamental contempt.

So it is not true that the bow down to Ecotec 4 cylinder is replacing the 3.0 across all GM.
    I can see why they'd push it in the biggest sellers, trying to get overall sales of MPG up to EPA figures. I think the requirement reads, "fleet average".
    One area I'm hoping to gain is longevity, durability. The tradeoff for more gas, maybe, and maybe lower insurance. I've seen on GM vehicles with 4 cylinder standard, the V-6 option would lower insurance.
    That is, I'm hoping that the 3.6 won't have to work near as hard or spin near as many times, depending on final ratio, and that will translate into longer life.
    edited October 2010
    "Some people have no problem with this. Some do."

Actually, 100% of 2010 Lacrosse owners have this problem. Further, Bluetooth is not a Chinese standard or a Chinese part. My phone is a Blackberry made by RIM, a Canadian company. My phone model is a Storm2 (9550) and it is on a tested and approived GM list! Bluetooth IS a well documented standard. I traded emails with an AMERICAN engineer who was responsible for the GM work in the Camaro.

Perhaps another analogy will help. Say your new car works perfectly, except when you exceed 70 mph. At higher speeds the brake lights no longer operate.Now I come along withh MY "fundamental contempt" for speeders (you) and dismiss your safety concern and your concern to avoid traffic tickets. Any light bulbs going off yet?..pardon the pun.

One way to avoid plowing thru posts of no interest is to skip them and also resist responding to me when you haven't a constructive thing to add.
    How do you know that 100% of owners have this problem? Answer: you don't. As for cellphone standards, they are not worth the paper they are printed on. It is a fly-by-night industry and the technology is unstable at best. Personally I would not be unhappy if laws were passed making all usage of the things illegal in cars, handsfree or not.

Finally, I am not responding to you. I don't even know who you are. I don't notice who writes what here, nor do I care. I am responding to a collection of posts about cellular technology that are impossible to skip given this format. I come here to read about cars, not cellphones. I feel sorry for you if your life is dependent upon a cellphone. That is about as far as any sentiment I have in this goes. Stop being so thin-skinned. Is that constructive enough for you?

• djaadjaa Member Posts: 8
    Have had my LeCrosse for about a month now. Ever since the evening I drove it off the lot 1500 miles ago I have a vibration any where from 52-70ish MPH. Took back to dealership and complained. They roadforce balanced the tires and still have the same problem. The service manager stated there seems to be a problem but must be the nature of the car. (not for that kind of money!) He has a call into GM rep. and will get back with me, I hope.

Any other proud owners of the LeCrosse having this issue?!!!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited October 2010
    What were the force readings on the road force balancing?
    Did they rematch any tires with the hubs?
    Did they move any wheels to different locations on the car, front or back?
    The Road Force balancers now can tell them which tires to put with which rims and where to locate them to get the best roundness under load for the 4 tires.

I would suggest they check the alignment and set it to the very optimum setting.

Does it have Michelin tires on it? That may be the company's next move by putting a set of prechecked Michelins on.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

No vibration problems here. My 2010 CXS compares very favorably with my last car, a 2009 Mercedes Benz E350, when it comes to smooth ride and quiet cabin.
  • djaadjaa Member Posts: 8
    Yes to all questions. As far as the alignment , the car was delivered to me with a crooked steering wheel so they had to align it also. We (service manager and I) drove two other cars and they were worse than mine. Mine is somewhat better after the balance but still has very noticeable vibration. I am hoping others might have the same problem, report it to GM and the engineers will go to work and find a fix!
    OK children or anyone else in this forum.
    Please take a look at added forums, as described by this forum, but BTW is not universal wording as to what it means across many if not all sites like this which mostly known as a forum.
    Forums have Rules. And let us act as gentlemen who wish to share knowlodge, not personalbe.
    The new forums are under Buick, 2010+ Buick Lacrosse. There is one titled "Rants & Raves" for those who want to get personal with their car. Praising or criticizing of your car might be appropriate here. The one place for our cars that anyone can talk it up.

Thanks all
    GM will apply the I-4 where they can, but the 40+ upscale market is indifferent to the initial cost or the mileage, within reason, IMO. Your comment on Cadillac controlling their engines is right on. Ford & GM still sell over 40% trucks and truck like SUV's, with predictable mileage so the "average" is hinged on lots of little cars with 4's. I read the V-8's are declining and the big 4 cylinders e.g. Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, GM are the fastest growing powerplants in popular models. I don't see a 4 cylinder Yukon, Silverado Expedition or F-150- does anyone else?
    Longevity is an open item for the newer GM DI/DOHC engines. Nissan, Toyota and Honda seem to have the designs down cold, so hopefully the old reverse engineering paid off for GM and Ford. We have had many 3.8L GM V-6's and other than the intake/plenum issues they were great designs, again IMO soo...
    Check the final drive ratio on the I-4 equipped Lacrosse - 3.23 vs 2.77 on most V-6.
    The Ecotec I-4 gets rave reviews and no past issues with oil coolers, intake gaskets or sealing problems that we have read about. Good engine designers in most GM cars with certain exceptions. The variable intake on the 3.0/3.6L was specifically aimed at the plastic plenum design sitting on an aluminum intake sitting on an iron engine in the "old days". Talk about mixed expansion coefficients!
    Insurance rates on new Lacrosse is stellar- with O/S safety ratings all around.
    Great car so far with all the high points, hopefully durability will be the standard for the new GM designs.
    This car has some good points but has shortcomings as well if it is a Luxury car.
    I'm working on a list of issues. Many have been mentioned by others besides me. When I finish it, I'll post it in the Rants and Raves.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited October 2010
    Personally-directed posts are prohibited. Those who choose to make them risk their own posting privileges. Enough said - this discussion is about the LaCrosse, not about what one thinks of other members.

PS - e_net_rider - Sorry, that discussion doesn't really work for us. I have been around long enough that I know where they lead. This is a perfectly good discussion in which to talk about things you like or dislike.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kjs8kjs8 Member Posts: 53
    I read on the forum that the 2011 LaCrosse will load ones cell call list into the car's memory for callup on the Nav when making outgoing calls. Can this software upgrade be loaded into the 2010 models at the GM dealers service facility? This is how it was to work as part of the bluetooth features on the 2010 originally.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since we're getting quite a few questions and comments about this specific feature, I've created a LaCrosse Bluetooth discussion, and will ask that future conversation and questions about that feature be posted there - thanks!!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The recommended octane gas for the CXS with the 3.6L engine is 91 octane. So far I have been using the mid grade 89. However, yesterday I shopped around for the 91 but could only find 93 octane gas, which I bought.

My question: are there any harmful effects to using 93 versus 91 octane? And how much a difference is 89 from 91 and will that invalidate the warranty?

-
  • wolfman14wolfman14 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    If I park my 2010 Buick Lacrosse on a slight incline I start the car and proceed to put the shift in reverse to back up. But it is not so easy with this new Buick. I need to keep my foot on the brake while stepping on the gas pedal to back up safely so I will not roll forward into whatever is in front of my car at the time. I was told by the dealer this is normal. That is ridiculous. This is definitely a safety problem. It also rolls back while I am stopped and proceed to drive forward. The dealer said it was normal. I thought this was an automatic transmission. It acts like a manual transmission with a clutch. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • kjs8kjs8 Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2010
    When you back up in mine you have to push on the gas relatively hard to get it to move. Then when you shift into drive to proceed forward the car lurches forward because you think you have to push on the petal the same as going in reverse. Dealer said that the forward and reverse petal response is not linear and reverse requires more pressure than in drive for the same acceleration. It just always catches me and the car leaps forward after selecting drive and accelerating. Sounds like a strange design.
    Agreed mine does the same thing and it does always surprise me. Can't seem to adjust my thinking to the process.

Have not tried to back up on a hill but could understand how it would happen. Now warned!!!
    Theere is never a chance of harm with a higher than recommended octane rating. At worst, it's a waste of money at the pump.

Too low a rating and its possible the engine could suffer from premature ignition aka knock or ping. A severe case can lead to engine damage and a void warranty. Modern engines will sense knock and retard the timing to elinminate knock. Mileage suffers some but it saves the engine.

I run regular IN MY 2010 cxs 3.6l.On ocassion I will full with mid grade. No perceptable differences.
    I have noticed that in my part of the country and south, that 91 had been the premium for many years. And when I got to the north it was usually 93 with an infrequent 92. Sometime during the last year 93 became the premium around here. So, to me the 91 requirement seems outdated since it is no longer available.
    Also I use gas from the GM list of tier 1 vendors, but I have not yet seen the tier 1 stickers on any pumps.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    >On ocassion I will full with mid grade. No perceptable differences.

If you have a tank filled with 87 octane regular and you use it down to a quarter or third, and then refill with 89 midgrade, you essentially end up with an 88 octane mix. IF the car is optimized for 91 octane, you aren't going to notice any difference.

If you use the tank lower, which I don't like to do, you end up with a purer mix. But ideally try filling with 93 after getting down to a quarter. That would mix 1/4 87 with 3/4 93 and give a mix that is about 91 octane. That would be a better test.

Or just alternate between 89 and 93 for your refills.

It's my anecdotal finding that a higher octane of 89 rather than 87 for my 87-rated engine delivers slightly better fuel mileage. It's noticed on longer drives using the car's computer readout for average fuel economy for that trip. The 1 or 2 mpg better mileage might be a 6 percent increase balanced against a 4% increase in cost for midgrade.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I'm not sure that mixing that way would be truly beneficial for MPG. It used to take some time for the fuel trim to adjust to driving conditions and habits and fuel. They may have overcome that method of calculating for the engine.
    I hope the mileage improves. As of now, with premium, it appears the only way I'll see 27 MPG for highway is I hold a steady 60 to 65 MPH.