Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,196
    edited April 2011
    A close look at the sales numbers for the LaCrosse shows the following trend.
    2009 Calendar year 27,818
    2010 Calendar year 61,178 – 120% increase

2010 First quarter 26,882
    2011 First quarter 24,810 – (7.7%) decrease

Sales in first quarter of 2010 by months:
    2010 January 4,246
    2010 February 8,291
    2010 March 14,345

However, comparable sales for 2011 show a steady decrease
    2011 January 3,771 – (11.2%) decrease
    2011 February 8,100 – (2.3%) decrease
    2011 March 12,939 – (9.8%) decrease

I have a theory that perhaps the new Regal is cannibalizing LaCrosse’s sales. It seems as though GM has not positioned the LaCrosse properly. For essentially the same size and features the Regal is so much cheaper. If they are trying to attract a younger demographic that is a good thing but there should be more of a differentiation between the Regal and LaCrosse to justify the price premium. But what do I know? I am just an average Joe.

Source: http://media.gm.com/content/dam/Media/gmcom/investor/2011/DeliveriesDecember2010- .pdf
  • Comparing the 2009 Lacrosse sales to the 2010 sales is laughable, they only made a few 2009 Lacrosse's because the 2010 was coming out...The 2009 production was stopped early, which I know because I was in the market for one and not many were available...It's disappointing to see the sales dropping on the new Lacrosse, it would be interesting to see which cars are gaining sales in it's category also....
    When it rains, it pours. Would you believe that after writing about declining Lacrosse sales I saw four of them today? One white, one silver and two midnight blues. After complaining that the Lacrosse was a rare bird, so rare in fact, that I had only seen two in one year....And on a rainy today, I had 4 sightings which was very refreshing.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    Thanks for the reply, but I already knew that. I want it to work. The memory is the reason I passed over other vehicles such as the Impala.

A somewhat alagorical story: Once upon a time there was a company well known for its computer sound cards. They even implemented new types of sound for use in gaming which became a standard for several game makers. Many were satisfied of the products and raved about them, but there were many that also had problems because they did not carefully vet their software and thus lots of rants. As almost all computer part manufacturers do, they created software fixes. Alas their fixes were not fixes at all. They turned off the features, via software, that some customers were having issues with. Their support got a bad reputation for sure. Also decision makers in the company decided "end of life" for product was when a new Operating System was released. Thus if you wanted to move to a newer operating system you had to buy a new sound card, they hoped from them since they were the premier maker. Customers got smart and the company went "BANKRUPT".
  • gberpagberpa Posts: 44
    I have also seen a lot more '10/'11s in our area. My block has 3 -2 qucksilver including my '11 CXS and 1 black.
  • e net rider, I like your reply to customer service. Do they really think that it is as simple as that? Did you find any fine print in the owners manual that said "if you have memory seats, you may experience shortness of breath due to being pushed up against the stearing wheel"?
    To say "just shut it off" is a huge cop out. Why don't they tell the owners the truth which is they don't know why it is occuring and we do not know how to fix it.
    My car shakes at highway speeds (GM customer service, do not message me) and if they tell me to just shut if off, I will be really annoyed. I already know they don't know why it is shaking.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse
  • I have a 2011 Lacrosse CXS. The car always felt like the tires were out of balance also. I Took the car to the dealership,both the service advisor and the mechanic drove the car and said nothing was wrong and they could not help me.(Less than 300 miles on car) I took it to a independant tire dealer and said the wheels were not true. I went back to the dealership and had the zone rep drive the car and he said he could not feel any problem, but had the alignment checked..all ok. They decided to put 4 new michelin tires on(oem)..did not help..less than 500 miles on car..total of 3 trips to the dealership by now.I then took it to another independant tire dealer and had the tires checked and "road forced balanced"..did not help. I now have 2600 miles on car..took it back to the dealership again this week..they let me drive another 2011 Lacrosse (only 14 miles on odometer)..it had the same balance/vibration problem..only worse!! I got in my car and left...GM/BUICK do not want to hear it!! The dealerships stopgap problems from going to engineers or corporate people that can solve your issues. What do I do now..I'm not sure..this is my 8th new GM vehicle since 1992.. I presently own a 2500HD Silverado,and a GM Winnebago motorhome.I am happy that someone else that had these problems got them solved even tho it took a long time.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    dwight9,
    Thank you for the update. I look forward to hearing from you once you have spoke with a dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I would be interested to know what size wheels your LaCrosse has. If you don't want to share it in public, I understand. Do you only notice it at highway speeds? Feel free to email me: 50324dave@gmail.com

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse
    e_net_rider,
    I apologize that you do not like the functionality of this feature; however it is operating as designed. If it is difficult to get in due to the seat moving so close to the steering wheel another option would be to set the memory seating a little farther back, to accommodate getting in the vehicle, and then moving it forward to your specifications. I hope this helps! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Dave..I have 235-50R/18 tires on my 2011 Lacrosse. I notice it feels like an out of balance tire at 40-50mph..and at highway speeds above 60mph, it's almost like a vibration. I guess what really bothers me is that 3 dealership employees could not feel it, or did not want to. My wife can feel it from the passenger seat, its that bad. That new 2011 Lacrosse that I drove this week was really bad..it only had 14 miles on the odometer. Thanks for the info on your earlier message.
  • Employees from your dealership must not know what they are supposed to be aware of. Keep after it!
    Mine had the wheels road force balanced. One was out of tollerance and that tire was replaced. I have personally driven three from different delerships and found each one to have the same vibration and in addition, if idled up to 1500rpm or so while in park, the car will shake then as well. That is still the case with mine. I have 17" steel wheels. I keep telling myself that one day there will be a recall for this.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse
    1, it does not work as designed. It goes to random positions.
    2, is it supposed to move ahead when the rear door is opened?
    3, if this is design, then it is time to fire some designers and fix issues.
    4, issues include problems with NAV rear camera system. Screen is unusable when the sun hits it. It is surrounded with reflective chrome bezel. These are safety issues. Cameras such as these are available in much wider lighting ranges so they don't get overexposed by bright sun low in sky. Also, brake lights cause overexposure. And the porting of the exhaust is such that in cool weather you see nothing but a white cloud of condensed exhaust vapor.
    I am going to check and suspect that setting to factory defaults will turn off some seat memory functions. As told by one saleman, turn it off, and you, I suspect it was a known problem before the vehicles were built.
    I feel for you guys with the shakes. Hope someone gets this figured. Maybe the wheel mounter at factory forgot to have his alcohol for breakfast and your vehicle is experiencing second hand DT's.
    Back to being serious, can you tell which wheel, wheels are responsible? Does it move to rear if rotated? If it stays in front, then it could be something in drive train such as CV shaft or brake rotor. I have not actually seen the construction of these but on older vehicles where they were of double layer construction, weights looking like large expansion pins were driven into the vents around the edge. Throwing such a weight would be a problem. Because of iron casting it would be near impossible to cast a perfectly balanced rotor. So, if they are of this type and have no weights, then someone is not finishing the job.
    e_net_rider,
    I would like to thank you for all of your feedback. I have passed this information along. I hope that you are able to utilize one of the alternative options I have presented. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Dave, my 2011 Lacrosse also vibrates at 1500rpm when in park. I bought the Lacrosse because I can tow it behind our motorhome, 4 wheels down, just start (pushbutton) the engine, shift to neutral,stop the engine. Most automatic vehicles you cannot tow 4 wheels down, you have to go to a manual transmission. After having the baseplate installed on the car for the towbar attachment, and towing the car for 1 hour, the battery was dead. My last GM vehicle,(2008 HHR), the owners manual stated you had to pull a fuse to prevent battery drain...which worked great for 3 years..no dead battery. The owners manual on the Lacrosse does not say you have to pull any fuses. I called the Buick/GM customer service phone number, they could not help,said take it to the dealership..which I did,no help.All I wanted to know was what fuse(s) to pull to prevent battery drain. Again, the dealerships won't contact the higher echelon to help solve problems. I bought a battery disconnect switch and installed it on the negative battery post,the positive post has a terminal board attached, no room to work. I hope this doesn't cause any problems, more than resetting the radio, everything else worked good, Nav still held all the right info. I will keep after the dealership,thanks for the encouragement. JOHN!
    Pulling the negative terminal is correct, even though it used to be the positive. Any stray electrons move from the negative terminal to the positive.
    This vehicle is supposed to have something to stop drain. Maybe it does not work unless in park. I had battery die, only two months old. It was defective.
    They did not send someone to get you started?
    NAV info is stored on HDD, hard drive.
    edited April 2011
    navychief3,
    I have spoke with Technical Assistance trying to find out if there is a fuse that you could pull to save your battery. Unfortunately there is not; however, they did say that disconnecting the battery would work or periodically starting the vehicle and letting it run. If you have any questions comments or concerns please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    edited April 2011
    As Regal (Opel Insignia) sales ramped up the Lacrosse sales flattened out about the same time that GM offered the CX in 4-cylinder (soon to be E.assist only) trim with cloth seats. CXL and CXS with leather and upscale options required additional ~$1400 for a V-6 (3.6L) thanks to marketing gurus. The upscale models also came to the dealers with the ole "option pack" and $34-$38,000 MSRP on the window that resulted in GM significantly increasing the margin (profit) per vehicle again thanks to the marketing gurus.
    These moves did differentiate the Lacrosse from the Regal, mainly by price and margins to GM.
    Sales figures are still very good for Buick in total and the margins are higher (except for Regal) so all is happy in the Motor City for now. CTS doing well also at higher price point.
    The unfortunate shakeup at Toyota and Honda will help GM with sales in the short term until gas hits $4-$5/gallon and then the bottom will fall out again for the big (60% of sales) truck/SUV sellers like Ford, GM and Chrysler (pre Fiat).
    At least we have access to good cars like the Lacrosse and Regal thanks to Brother Lutz (semper fi!)
    with the ole "option pack" What pack is that?
    At current gas prices I'm sure many are looking more closely at mileage figures.
    Younger people are more interested in the Regal. Not to say the Lacrosse is not appealing to a wider market. It is also likely taking from Lucernne sales since it has already passed its last year and as GM has done with other vehicles reaching end of production, they remove some options from the available list.
    I saw the new Lacrosse commercial last night, laughable from my experience.
    In today's economy, GM best bet at boosting Lacrosse sales is getting buyers from slightly higher priced vehicles or giving the buyer something he can't get in other vehicles. For starters they'd need to refine the quality and improve some areas and definitely not blow off customers with "that's the way it is designed." Bad design? Fix it.
    Option pak refers to loading certain models with option packages rather than individually priced options as in the past. For only $3800 as an example you can get say Bluetooth but you have to take sunroof, memory seats and Navigation in the pak. Another approach is to only offer certain options on certain trim levels or models. If you want upscale leather you have to buy the primo upscale model with heated and cooled seats plus the $4800 price difference with whatever options the manufacturer choses to pak onto the car. Many variations to the theme but the result is you pay more to get what you want and also get some or many options you do not want or need. Hard to work around and get the car you want at the price you want to pay. Great fun though.
    Now I'm in sync. If you remember I was doing my shopping when many of those changes took place. One in particular, H-arm dropped from CXL & CXS, brought back shortly as an option on CXS but not on CXL, at least while I was buying. What was included then became a pricey option package because the H-arm then included full time active suspension damping with sport mode and GY 19" tires & wheels. I have to wonder if they had a contract with GY to sell x number of tires and no one was buying the 19" wheel/tire combo. Owners experience seems to show that GY & maybe 19" wheels would be a bad choice.
    And if you are buying off the lot, then they do have them cobbled together as you suggest. That is why I did a custom order. Everyone I looked and searched out had a sunroof if it came close to having other wanted options.
    Makers claim that building fully custom costs more than building the way they do. Maybe that should be read, "custom builds are not as profitable."
    I want to know why they decided to make the spoiler standard on CX model.
    Does GM have a surplus of them?
    Is it a marketing trick?
    Is it actually functional in some way beyond a cosmetic thing? That is, does it reduce drag or provide better stability at highway speeds?
    I want to know! Guess I'm sort of a technical guy.
  • dwight9dwight9 Posts: 8
    Christina, took my CSX into the dealer today and they reprogrammed the item that controls the clock, this resolved the problem.

Thanks, Dwight
    Wow! They can reprogram something like how the clock functions, but they can't or won't reprogram some other issues.
    The unfortunate shakeup at Toyota and Honda will help GM with sales in the short term until gas hits $4-$5/gallon and then the bottom will fall out again for the big (60% of sales) truck/SUV sellers like Ford, GM and Chrysler (pre Fiat).

Driving by a Buick-GMC dealership I couldn't help but notice acres and acres of Buick-GMC SUV and trucks on the lot. When we thought GM was out of the woods and back on its feet again up comes another gas crisis. Again, it seems as though GM was blindsided not antcipating the geo-politics of the Middle East which is having a devastating impact on sales. At this rate it won't be long before the Big 3 will be back in Washington looking for yet another bailot.

These guys just will not learn. If they wish to produce big Trucks and SUVs, they should develop more fuel efficient alternatives. For example, a genuine 35-mpg hybrid Truck/SUV, diesel-turbo, all electric or nitrogen propelled vehicle. I don't know if they are working behind the scenes but the auto industry should be working more closely with companies such as Boston POwer Technology to speed up development on more powerful batteries for trucks and other large vehicles.
    It is not just the mfrs that do not learn. The American public went right back to buying huge inefficient vehicles as soon as the last artificial gas crisis was past. The dealers will have to offer big discounts to move the iron and the public will buy them on sale. Same cycle over and over. No National energy policy other than providing the oil companies with their 6% profit margin on ever higher imported oil (6% of $10/bbl or 6% of $115/bbl oil - which would you pick for your bonus calculation?) vs. lower price of domestic oil.
    I recommend taxing large gas guzzlers for real instead of giving business deductions for mega priced SUV's & trucks to further incent irresponsible fuel usage just because you can afford it. Sad to say the Europeans are way ahead of us on that score.
    As stated before, at least we have a choice in what vehicle we buy- just not the price of fuel that is set by the greed and idiocy of our fellow citizens.
    Sorry for the rant. Love this new Lacrosse- great performance & MPG.
  • cooleyddcooleydd Posts: 105
    We do pay more taxes on gas guzzlers in form of the tax on gasoline and on any taxable repairs.

The American people will buy what they want and at the price they can afford. The Auto companies have to build to the public demands. Of course the public is fickle and will change their minds depending on the days news. Unfortunately the Auto companies cannot change production that quickly so they will always lag behind.

Many talk about having an all electric vehicles. This is very impractical as the distance travelled is such that you must always have another car to use if the trip is over 50 to 100 miles. In big cities this is not unusual for people to drive this distance on one trip. Therefore a combination electric/gas powered is the only answer (as per the Volt) to not having a second car for longer trips. All electric just will not work as a single car for most of us.

Battery research has been going on for years without a whole lot of change and it will probably continue to go on with minor changes for the next 5 to 10 years. I simply cannot stop every 60 to 100 miles to recharge for a few hours.

I have great hope for cars like the Volt but the cost of the combination will be high (but less than the cost of two cars). To me it is the only answer to having an efficient combination to have only one car. Having two cars (one all electric and the other gas fueled) to handle my requirements make no sense. Maybe 70 % of my trips would be within the restrictions of an all electric auto BUT I would still need a second car that would handle the other 30% longer trips.

The other problem is the electric grid - it has trouble now handling our electric demands. Thin what the problems would be to have millions of cars plugged in day and night charging their batteries. Since it is almost impossible to build new electric generating plants - some object to whatever fuels them - I don't see a solution to this problem for years to come.

Solutions are not near as easy as some people would lead one to believe. We like our big cars and trucks and I see no way this will change to any great amount in the foreseeable future. Just give me a car like the Lacrosse with a better mileage (however it is obtained) and I certainly will be happy. But I do not want to lose any of the creature comforts it gives me now.
    I agree with your comments. The point I was trying to make is exactly what you say. The American public will continue to buy whatever they can afford and want - that's why it is America. The resulting problem is that since we do that and some Americans chose to buy say a Hummer for whatever reason and it gets 8 MPG, we, as a nation, use more fuel than if the person bought a Lacrosse that averages 24 or so (3X better MPG). I think that person s/b taxed or pay more for his/her gas due to his choice that has an impact on price and demand for the fuel used by the whole nation. True they pay for more fuel, but that does not offset the higher price that has to be paid by all due to the absence of an effective energy policy. guess we will keep going to war to feed our demand for more, not less oil.
    gotta love these Lacrosse and other choices that offer safety, room, and MPG of 20 in town and close to 30 MPG at 65 on the highway.
    Thank you Bob Lutz (Semper Fi!).
    edited April 2011
    cooleydd, ...I agree with you on the buying habits of Americans but not on the range limitations of future Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs). Take for example, an American company, in cooperation with the Japanese government and a Japanese taxi company who designed a “refueling” station for electric cars. The station does not recharge the depleted batteries but instead replace them with a fresh car battery in one minute and 59 seconds.

Think about that for a moment, in two minute the old battery can be swapped for a fresh one; in less time than a gasoline fill up. So, any thought of range anxiety or the need to have a second car is eliminated. And guess what? in the process will create millions of new jobs to put this new infrastructure in place. I saw a video on this but can’t quite remember where, but meanwhile here is a link with some more details http://www.itechdiary.com/battery-replacement-stations-for-electric-powered-taxi- - - -in-tokyo.html

P.S: Here is the video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lp_6VyIeSY
  • cooleyddcooleydd Posts: 105
    On the battery replacement>

Think what the cost would be for a supply of all batteries for all electric cars and there cost at roughtly $10,000 per. What would be the rental to make this a going business (including the charging). What would be the cost of the inventory, Also be sure to include the cost of the facility, the upkeep and the profit.

Doubt that we would pay the calculated amount for a "battery charge".