Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

1353637383941»

Comments

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited November 2012
    We're sorry that you're having difficulties getting this AFL concern addressed with your dealership.

I finally brought my 2011 CXS in today and the issue was resolved in about 30 minutes. The service manager said that they were very familiar with the problem as there is a technical bulletin out on it. (Probably not seriuos enough to prompt a recall)
    All that was required was a reprogramming of the lighting system. The notation on the work order reads as follows:
    CAUSE:
    -- MS N9657 Headlamp Control Module

Don't know what that means but the warning light has gone away and the headlights seems to be working fine. By the way, they gave me a copy of the instructions for the service technician and the only thing I can discern from it is "J2534 Pass Thru: Final Instructions and Programming Complete."

Finally, I want to thank my original dealership in Hanover, MA for doing such a fine job. By comparison, the dealership closer to my home had no clue. As a matter of fact they had never heard the term "AFL Lamps" before much less to fix the problem.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    Sounds like you might have USB port. These fixes for reprogramming the dealer gets from GM. If they install with normal test equipment, it takes them 1/2 hour plus. Once the dealer gets that program, they can put it on a USB thumb drive, advised to do so by GM. GM claims it then takes only 2 minutes to install update.
  • football2fanfootball2fan Member Posts: 1
    I am unable to set the clock once we went off DST. I have been to the dealership three times with no luck. I have a 2010 LaCrosse CXL. I did not have this problem in the past. I can set it manually and it will keep the correct time until I shut off the engine. Does anyone know how to set the clock so it keeps the correct time?
  • joelippard3joelippard3 Member Posts: 18
    Sounds like your dealer is not very adept. This one is simple. The software that governs that needs to be re-programmed. Same thing happened to my CXS with NAV. There is a software update that addresses this.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    footballfan2,

We'd be happy to check up on this with your dealership if you wanted. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, a summary of the situation, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Got a new 2021 LaCrosse yesterday. I've had memory seats before and never liked them so on this car we won't bother to engage it. My wife and I are fine with the same setting so no aggravation necessary. Keeping as much of the tech stuff off the board as possible. Turn on the key and drive. Wish me luck.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    Joe, mine is doing the same thing. Had it checked when the oil was changed at a Chevy dealer (Same company, just the Chevy dealer was 15 miles closer). The looked for codes in the radio. Nothing. Now, I lose the volume, it "resets" itself, And when it comes back on, 12:00, Jan 1,2006 and no GPS for about 2 min. Then is sets to correct date, but GMT. Hopefully that's all it needs is a reflash. Gonna take it to the Buick shop. At least they work w/ the Nav system on a reg basis.
    We hope all goes well with your visit, cooterbfd! Looking forward to an update.

• tejadastejadas Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer to this question? Did you end up buying this headunit? I am also considering, but, like you, hesitant to buy something like that from China. I have the 2012 Lacrosse Premium 1 and love it, but REALLY regret to getting the touchscreen option :(
  • nicetwinnicetwin Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2010 CXS. The reprogram fixed it last year. This year when I took it in, it was out of warranty. They told me that the bulletin they had said that if the reprogram didn't work, that the radio needed to be replaced. They decided to make a good faith warranty since I had been in the year before with the same problem. They replaced my radio. The only problem was that I couldn't pause or rewind like I was able to do before. They ended up getting another radio. Apparently this time it was designed for the 2012 models. According to the dealership they had to wait for some guy to write a new program so that the newer model radio would work correctly with my 2010 model. Everything works fine now.
    nicetwin,
    It's great to hear that you've been able to get this taken care of on your CXS! Let us know if you should ever need anything - we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com
    I am unable to set the clock once we went off DST.

The same thing has happened to me too on my 2011 CXS. I just can't get the darn clock to retain daylight savings time. It resets as soon as the engine is turned off.
    Anybody else having this problem, and was it satisfactorily resolved by the dealer?
  • joelippard3joelippard3 Member Posts: 18
    My 2010 CXS is doing the same. The dealer is ordering an entirely new Radio/NAV System to be installed next week. It appears Buick has had hit or miss reliability on them. I'm glad it's not being replaced on my nickel. Service advisor told me they run about $600. If I were Buick I'd seriously be going back on whoever manufactured these units, I'm sure they're probably outsourced. Still Loving the Buick though! A fine example of quality American Engineering!
    The dealer is ordering an entirely new Radio/NAV System to be installed next week.... I'm glad it's not being replaced on my nickel. Service advisor told me they run about $600

This brings up an interesting dilemma. I intend to keep my Buick CXS beyond the warranty period, but because the electronic components have a tendency to fail I am strongly leaning toward buying an extended service repair agreement.

Most, including me, feel that an extended warranty is a waste of money but in the last few months my computer died, dishwasher went on the blink and this week my dryer and now my CXS. All of these failures were due electronic malfunctions.

Are electronic components such as NAV, HUD, Radio, etc. covered by the GMPP warranty?
    Keep us updated on how the replacement of the radio goes, joelippard3!
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The problem with extended warranties is that they represent a high cost from very shady companies. If you can buy one from GM, the cost will be very high. These policies have exclusions and limitations that can make getting paid for repairs a nightmare. They constantly change ownership --- beware. One of the highest industries with consumer negative experiences. I'd take my chances.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    Take the 1200 bucks or so for a good GM warranty and put it in the bank. If you can add a few bucks in here or there and hope for the best.

Most of the technology in the cars is pretty reliable. If you do have a problem a few years down the road, you will have a little cushion to fix it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    I bought a GMPP plan through Black Cadillac http://www.jamesblackcadillac.com/gmpp.htm
    I saw another on the internet promising large discounts--bellgmpp.

Do some comparison shopping. Black is very up front on their site.
    Here's the link to the text of the GMPP agreement for Major Guard:
    http://www.jamesblackcadillac.com/majorguard.pdf

From Bell's Site:
    Major Guard Protection PlanValue Guard Protection PlanBasic Guard Protection PlanCompare PlansFrequently Asked QuestionsNew VehiclesUsed VehiclesContact UsPremium Service Coverage for Your Vehicle
    Your car, truck or van is a major purchase and something you'll want to enjoy for years to come. Protect your vehicle, and likely enhance its value, with Major Guard, the premium and most comprehensive vehicle service contract from General Motors.

With Major Guard, virtually every component of your vehicle is covered in the event of mechanical failure beyond the warranty period - even if caused by wear and tear *.

Major Guard protects you against unexpected financial expenses by covering parts and labor costs. If repairs are necessary, they can be taken care of conveniently through any of the more than 7,000 GM Dealerships across the United States and Canada.

Best of all, when you're on the road with Major Guard, you have the premium service contract endorsed by General Motors . . . and security and peace of mind for the life of your vehicle service contract.

Parts and Labor Costs
    Virtually every mechanical, electrical and electronic component of your vehicle is covered against failure even if it results from wear and tear *. You're covered for parts and labor on:

•Engine
    •Transmission / Transaxle
    •Front / Rear-wheel-drive assemblies
    •Fuel system
    •Engine cooling system
    •Heating and vehicle manufacturer-installed air conditioning systems
    •Electrical, computer and audio systems
    •Braking system components
    •Suspension (Front / Rear)
    •Steering system
    •High-tech components
    •Seals and gaskets
    •Safety assemblies
    Covered Parts
    •It's as simple as this: If it's not on the very short list of what's not covered, it's covered!
    •For years, millions of Major Guard customers have known that, "From the engine to the trunk lock, if a part breaks - even if it results from wear and tear * - and it's not on the list of the few items not covered, Major Guard will pay for the repair less any applicable deductible - whatever the part!"
    Non-Covered Parts
    •Sheet metal
    •Body parts, panels and rails
    •Bumpers
    •Chassis frame
    •Cross members
    •Hinges
    •Trim, moldings, and bright metal
    •Paint
    •Rust damage
    •Convertible and vinyl tops
    •Weather-strips
    •Carpet and upholstery
    •Exhaust system and catalytic converter
    •Tires
    •Glass
    •Lenses
    •Sealed Beams
    •Light Bulbs
    •Batteries
    •Brake drums
    •Shock absorbers
    •Squeaks , rattles, wind noise and odors
    •Correction of air and water leaks
    Unless required in connection with a covered part we will not pay for: engine tune-up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubricants, engine coolant, drive belts, radiator hoses, heater and vacuum hoses, windshield wiper blades, air conditioning recharging, fluids, spark/glow plugs and wires, brake pads/linings and brake shoes/rotors, manual clutch disc, vehicle manufacturer recommended maintenance services and parts.

Every other part is covered!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

My 2010 CXS is doing the same. The dealer is ordering an entirely new Radio/NAV System to be installed next week.

It took a while, but the clock was reset to DST. This required some reprogramming which changed all my settings but I am happy with the result.

Now I have a new annoying problem--an intermittent ticking that sounds like a time bomb. As usual, the techs can't duplicate the condition.
  • seven7aseven7a Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there's been any resolution on this problem (bogging down on the verge of stumbling)? My 2010 LAX has been doing it for 6-8 months. I don't have the time or the money to let my local Buick dealership to give me the runaround (poor history with the sales dept and I'd rather not give them another nickel).
  • anonymous17anonymous17 Member Posts: 4
    My 2010 CXS LaCrosse with 35K miles on it has developed a rear sunscreen problem. The screen no longer reliably deploys when I actuate the switch. It hangs after going about an inch up. If I manually pull on it it will deploy the rest of the way. I see no obvious tears or blockages etc.
    any thoughts on what's up with this and how to repair it?
  • bobinorbobinor Member Posts: 63

23,000+ on my 2011 CXS and still loving every moment in it. Haven't checked in here for a couple years and I need to know if any of you have had a similar problem with the remote key. The battery ran down in my every day remote so I replaced the battery after getting the warning in the DIC "Replace Battery in Remote Key". Problem is the warning won't go away. It appears whether I open the door without a remote present or with either of my 2 remotes. It appears again after starting the car. Touching the "menu " button on the turn signal stalk erases the message but it's annoying to keep seeing it pop up. The dealer didn't know of any means to reset it and said to bring it in to be checked. Though I'd check here to see if anyone has a clue how to get rid of the warning. in the DIC.