Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    "..... Pretty much the same result as 68 Camaro RS that came with 302"

Don't you mean the 307?? The 302 was strictly a racing engine in the Z 28, IIRC
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    AFAIK, sport and touring refers to the suspension option available on CXS, maybe on lower models for 11. Suspension changes should show no major impact on MPG unless it is enabling you to drive more aggressively. Putting your foot in it will eat more gas.
    Or are you referring to manual shift mode? That will certainly eat more gas.
    That does sound like disappointing MPG for the 3.6.
    There have been discussions where it gets better than the now discontinued 3.0.
    It seems that most with your setup have been reporting upper 20's at highway speed. I certainly expect that when mine gets here. At 65 to 70 MPH you should be getting the EPA figure. And not dropping off that fast as you increase speed. I would not expect that much drop until cruising in the 85-90 range.
    With the automatic air system, is it possible to run in recirculate mode?
    (Malibu seems to have a faux recirculate. that is only partial recirculate. Not good in hot humid climates or smelly air. Air conditioner does not keep up well.) If this is some continuation of the old flow through ventilation of GM, then they should have trashed it back in the 70's. Time of when efficiency started becoming important.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    edited September 2010
    I've tried and noticed maybe a slight difference with premium getting better mileage. The manual says premium is recommended but "regular gasoline will not harm your engine". So I just use unleaded plus, a happy medium. You can pay more for gas and get a little better mileage or use regular, pay less, and mileage is not quite as good, In the end it's about the same cost to operate. Some of us just feel better paying less at the pump. I have not checked city mileage . I know it is probably not too good. I do know that combined city/hwy is 22 mpg and most of my driving is highway.
  • kjs8kjs8 Member Posts: 53
    I have an 2010 CXS and do a 10 mile stop and go commute and average between 17 and 18 MPG. I just got back from a trip crusing at 65 MPH and it averaged 32 MPG in both directions after filling up on the freeway prior to getting on and just after getting off . I wanted to see exactly what sustained highway driving would render. I'm impressed and very happy with the performance vs economy. I always use a middle grade gas.
  • kjs8kjs8 Member Posts: 53
    I have an 2010 CXS and do a 10 mile stop and go commute and average between 17 and 18 MPG. I just got back from a trip crusing at 65 MPH and it averaged 32 MPG in both directions after filling up on the freeway prior to getting on and just after getting off . I wanted to see exactly what sustained highway driving would render. I'm impressed and very happy with the performance vs economy. I always use a middle grade gas. Tire pressure at 35 PSI.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Help us improve Edmunds.com! We need consumers who have bought a car in the past 6 months for a study on Monday, Sept. 20th, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm in Santa Monica. You’ll be given a $40 gas card, bag of cool Edmunds goodies, plus participants are invited to join us for lunch afterwards. Contact pr@edmunds.com to see if you qualify.

Or, click on my screen name for my contact info and send your email to me. I will forward it to Edmunds PR.
  • enphanenphan Member Posts: 23
    I heard lacrosse is a huge sale for buick, three to four time more than Lacrosse 2009 (obviously, since it is such a beautiful and nice car). I try to find this information from the web, but can not find it. Even how many lacrosse sold per quarter.
    Can you send me the link to the website? or is it from magazine?
  • tom2246tom2246 Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone had an issue of the link with the USB port and IPod Touch breaking? Evidentally there is a software patch that needs to be installed in the car.
  • rainman5542rainman5542 Member Posts: 114
    I briefly had a problem and believe it was caused when my iPod 5th gen went to the first menu level to get to video mode. It just got jossled around being in my 'junk drawer.

I am concerned that the iPods are housed in an unsecure junk drawer (compartment). It should be under lock and key in a locking glove box...which the CXS doesn't have. While I'm at it, where is the coin holder most cars have?
    Mariah

I hope you have the contacts to address a few issues.

1. Will there be a software upgrade to make it possible to send my Blackberry Storm 2 contacts to the HDD in my 2010 CXS? I am OK with it happening via USB cable or bluetooth.

2. Is there a known problem with a loud clang or bang immediately as the car starts? I read about one Lacrosse owner who had his exhaust system replaced to fix this. Its either that or a starter problem.

3. My 3.6 V6 only gets 24.5 mpg at 75 on cruise. Is that acceptable? It seems about 4-6 mpg worse than what others report. As an aside, cruise seems rather crude when the road is hilly. It will allow up to 5 mph variation before taking action to adjust. My mileage figure is from straight Interstate roads (all on I-75 between Gaylord and Pontiac).
    Definitely 302 because it was the same designation as in my 68 Pony, 302, but HP. I dug to find out how GM came up with this odd sounding engine and learned it was a down-stroked 327. Much like what Ford did to early Mustangs turning a 289 into a 260.
    AFAIK, 307 was not put into anything until 69. A friend had 69 Camaro with 350, base model. What a dog, my Pony would run circles around it. A school mate had 68 Yenko but totaled after only 2 months. Not sure what was in it.
    Was the grade comparison with everyday or strictly highway driving?
    Does the brand make a difference?
    I had for years usually used Enmark, a southeast brand. During that time, in two different vehicles I found that Chevron gave better mileage, but only in those two, and with no discounts the Enmark ended up cheaper on a per mile cost.
    Newer vehicles and card discounts eventually turned me to BP, ending up less per gallon with discount and it seemed good gas. When discount went away, changed to Chevron with $0.10 per gallon discount. In the 09 Malibu I-4, it seems to run a little better on Chevron and shows more power as I move up in grade. I'm guessing these newer engines are self-tuning to get the best of every gallon. Note, in Malibu it seems that all big name brands are about the same, at the regular grade anyway.
    And because there have been a few issues of the first converter, at the manifold, plugging I'm sticking to the name brands as a caution.
    My wife drives a KIA and likes to use cheap gas. I can always tell when I fill with name brand as idle smooths out nicely.
    I can tell you that Aurora engine is quite a bit different and can be expensive to work on. Aurora owners posted many times that they found using non-OE parts was detrimental. Often the engine just would not run right after some miles and the solution was to change back to GM parts.
    The engine uses some old technologies that were once scrapped. The engine block is split at the main bearings and has to be in order to remove the crank. Early Auroras have engine oil cooler. They employ a low pressure oiling system. And have a full coolant flow in the block at all times. Detroit quit that design possibly in the 50's because of sticking thermostat problems.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    You could always just take your iPod with them you when you get out of the car. Otherwise, presumbaly you are already locking the car when you leave it. If someone can break into your car, they can probably get into a glove box too.
    It's parking attendants/valets and auto mechanics I worry about. I have to give them a key. No valet key as on my Mercedes. I could prevent acess to the trunk (golf clubs or laptop) and also the glovebox where MB had the iPod connector, yet the car could be driven and parked.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Rainman5542,
    For you software question I will have to escalate that for you to our technical department to get an answer. In order to do that I will need you to email me you’re VIN, and your contact information. Unfortunately, I cannot say whether the bang is a known concern. If you have this concern I would recommend getting the vehicle diagnosed. As far as your fuel economy is concerned. Many factors can cause low fuel economy. Such as low tire pressure, dirty air filters, proper viscosity in your oil, using top tier fuels which doesn't mean premium fuel, using your recommended grade of fuel, avoid accelerating quickly and using full throttle. Also, have your truck empty for less weight, and avoid idling as much as possible. If you are still experiencing a concern with mpg then I would have a dealer look at the concern. You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    I'll send a private email with my VIN and contact info.

My gas mileage was at a steady 75 mph on CRUISE CONTROL. The car had 1700 miles on the odometer and tires at 34.5 # Fuel was BP and/or Marathon.

Thanks
  • overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    you can find monthly sales figures on media.gm.com
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    edited September 2010
    I have the same addiction. I can barely keep a car a year. So many cars, so little time! ;)
    I am going to look at a metalic white/tan CSX tomorrow with every option, but the sport suspension and RSES. My salesman marked it sold before he left on vacation for a long weekend, so nobody would sell it while he was away.

I am not sure if I want the sunroof. We have hot summers here in Florida. I also usually like a sporty suspension and black interior. I guess I can always order exactly what I want.
    "......A school mate had 68 Yenko but totaled after only 2 months"

Ugggggh! I'm gonna be sick :sick: Usually, it was a 427 for a Yenko! Worth HUUUUUGE Bucks today
    rainman,

My personal opinion is that the cruise control may have been the culprit in this case. If the speed would drop 5 mph befor accelerating to get back to speed, that could cause excess fuel consumption, as the cruise probably would cause a harder acceleration than you would normally apply yourself. Try not using the cruise, and when you reach a hill, let the car decelerate by using steady pedal pressure. You won't lose that much speed 5, 6 mph, and when you reach level pavement, the car should begin to re-reach speed on it's own.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,079
    I was browsing the dealer lot yesterday and they have a just-arrived 2011 CXL in Summit White with the titanium leather interior. Looked surprisingly appealing. I think I like the regular white paint better than White Diamond Tricoat. It was pretty loaded up but I note in reading the sticker, it appears that the 17" alloy wheels no longer are standard on the CXL -- this had 18" wheels listed as standard, not in the options column. It also had the 3.6 engine, sunroof, driver confidence package, and a few other things. Very nice car.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

"......I am not sure if I want the sunroof. We have hot summers here in Florida. I also usually like a sporty suspension and black interior. I guess I can always order exactly what I want. "

Well, I think being in a hot climate, black interior is the last thing you'd want. I have a '65 Buick Wildcat convertible with black vinyl, and whenever it sits in the sun for 10 minutes, you better make sure clothes touches the seat or you'll leave your skin right where you sat (OWWW :surprise: )

As far as the sunroof, I didn't want one in my Lacrosse either (If I want sun, that's what the Wildcat is for). However, on hot sunny days (sound familiar down there???) I crack all 4 windows and lift the sunroof (not slide it open) and leave the sunshade half way. The car is MARKEDLY COOLER when I go to get in it in the afternoon. Not necessarily enjoyable to me, but definitely useable!

Good luck on your search.

PS: MARIAH: Extra points if you can tell us what years Buick manufactured the Wildcat!!!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    have a '65 Buick Wildcat convertible with black vinyl, and whenever it sits in the sun for 10 minutes, you better make sure clothes touches the seat or you'll leave your skin right where you sat

Now that's a nice car! I once jumped into a friends big ol' Mercury Marquis convertible and actually burned myself on its white leather, so I can imagine how black vinyl could hurt.
  • john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    I came close to buying a CSX White Diamond, that had the HUD and Navigation system. Since I have On Star and a GPS, I didn't figure I would need the Nav system, so went with the CXL, red exterior and titanium interior. My daughter has a 2009 Cadillac CTS and I feel the LaCrosse rivals this car, and is thousands of dollars less. I do like the All Wheel drive option on the CTS, and sometimes second guess my self on not getting a LaCrosse All Wheel Drive, with the HUD and Nav system. Either way, I'm sold on the LaCrosse.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    edited September 2010
    Mariah: Excellent forum for customer minor questions. Our 2010 Lacrosse CXL is excellent in all respects with 2100 miles so far. 29 mpg with 3.0L engine at 75 mph.
    The DOHC DI engines provide max torgue at higher speeds so using the manual shift on a large grade, to hold in lower gear, makes the 6-speed not "search" for right gear due to the economy programming. Beautiful road car.
    Technical question on the oil dipstick, part#12632893 please. I had the oil changed early and the dealer installed the 6 quarts required for the 3.0 V-6 engine. I checked the level and the reading is much higher than the upper cross hatched area for the full reading. Same condition with the factory fill originally. Will you please check to see if this is the correct dipstick for the 3.0L engine?
    No big deal but could explain some of the confusion on oil usage if readings are off.
    Thanks for the help- great customer service and outstanding forum.
    regards Crankee
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Crankee,
    I am glad that you like your Lacrosse! :) I can research your question for you but I will need you to e-mail me your VIN. You can get my e-mail by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    One of my cars is an 08 Solara SLE Convertible with the dark charcoal leather interior. I left it out with the top down all day in the sun on a 90 degree day (one of the many we had this summer) and thought that the seats would be unbearable with my shorts. Much to my surprise they were as cool as a cumber and no skin to seat sticking at all. I don't know how the seats are construceted but was amazed that they were not like any of my other convertible seats I have owned.
    It must have rained. Either that, or they are upholstered with Toyota's famous magic pixie dust fabric. You cannot repeal the laws of physics. And I'm not sure what this has to do with the Lacrosse.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you read the message to which gened1 was responding, you'll note that the conversation was about dark interiors. It's a legitimate on-topic comment, whether you doubt the accuracy or not.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

My mileage readings were during a level part of my trip, not the hilly portion. Cruise accelerates in an average fashion, neither easy nor aggressive. 24.5 mpg with a 2.77 axle is poor, no two ways about it.
  • It's not terrific. On the other hand, I don't know that folks buy a Lacrosse for its gas mileage!
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    Gregg: We bought our 2010 Lacrosse exactly for gas mileage among other factors. We enjoyed the 29 mpg at 75 mph (w/o cruise control) on 1500 mile trip that included hills of WV & PA. As we have posted before, the V-6 and 6-speed in the Lacrosse with the 2.77 final drive ratio is set up for economy NOT 1/4 mile races. The program is always trying to get into higher gear so you use the manual shift feature on the Lacrosse to "lock it into gear" on a big hill i.e. Wheeling WV. That keeps it from "searching" up and down trying to get into the highest gear. Cruise control allows the searching that hurts mileage in one man's opinion. AT 65-70 mph the mileage is in the low 30's - GREAT for a 4400# large,comfortable, safe car.
    The safety and convenience features (mostly standard on the CXL we have) are just icing on a very well designed and built vehicle-guess that's why it is selling.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >thought that the seats would be unbearable with my shorts. Much to my surprise they were as cool as a

Those toyotas are just so wonderful! :P

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I stopped to actually get inside a Regal today. They are really nice. No chintzy shortcut stuff inside.

The Red Ruby Firemist color is coming with the 2011s. A rich blue is available and a bronze black along with the more moderate colors.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• buickdawgbuickdawg Member Posts: 8
    Hopefully the blue will be a nice shade...Been disappointed with GM's blues of late, Buick only gets dark ones that are nearly black....Wanted blue in my '95 Monte Carlo and navy was all that was available then, but since then Chevy has had some nice blue shades....That laser blue was awesome!!! The superior blue is nice too....
    I'm totally confused as to what is actually coming in LaCrosse with touring package. I've looked under quite a few LaCrosse since the beginning of the year and have seen 3 different suspensions under the rear, none of them looking like H-arm.
    For 2011, the touring package w/ H-arm is available on CXL according to a window sticker I looked at, BUT, it had the same exact suspension as the CXS next to it without the touring package.
    I'm pretty sure I know what H-arm is. I even googled and found a large catalog of various suspensions and my idea of what H-arm is matched. I have owned 5 vehicles with the H-arm in the past and always found them to ride and handle well on the rear.
    I can not help but worry that what is on the window sticker might not be what is on the car. I had that experience with touring tires.
    And I received a call today that my CSX is supposedly in transit. Don't know why it takes two weeks to get here, but I only ordered two weeks ago.

Maybe some of you would like to check your rear suspension and report back. I hope so.
    I bought the Lacrosse for multiple reasons. Gas mileage was not high on the list, however, when my car gets 15% less than what it should, it does become a QC issue. I am quickly getting disillusioned with my dealer service.

I have a loud clang from the starter or exhaust system immediately after the car starts. It is intermittent. I brought it in to be checked and things checked out OK visualy but the noise did not appear during the few hours it was at the dealer. I was advised to come back if it became more common. I was told they would want to keep it overnight. Three weeks later, it is more common but I was told NOT to bring it in (because it wasn't constant) and I was told I had never reported this before. Fortunately there is an online record as well as a paper one.

This dealer, Suburban Cadillac-Buick, Troy MI, has self serve appointments using a web portal. This first time I used it, the service manager said he had no record of me making an appointment. Both the salesman and the SM seemed unwilling to own the problem and get it corrected. Their system assigned me to a Service Manager who had left employment there two weeks earlier. This dealer also solicits comment on their web page and promises immediate response to issues. It is now over two weeks and I have yet to get a phone call.
  • overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    EPA ratings are derived under very specific, controlled circumstances. getting 15% under your EPA rating isn't proof of defective parts on your car. My old car was rated at 17 in the city and I was lucky if I got 15 due to lots of stopping in urban traffic. Highway mileage is affected by AC use (many cars run AC compressor all the time on AUTO mode), speed and loading. Cruising at 70-80mpg may yield lower mileage than what the EPA predicts even if the road is flat. I am willing to be ANY car today can meet or beat its EPA rating on the hwy if you go betwen 55-65mph on flat road.
    Can you explain why all others who have posted their mpg on this forum are getting real world, not EPA, mileage that is about 15% better than mine?

EPA ratings, from about 2008 model year, were revised and are more accurate and in line with real world numbers. Your old car rating was useful only to compare cars within the same weight class. The rating is improved and you are comparing apples to oranges.

PS. I am not suggesting a recall as the subject line indicates. I think its a carry over from another poster I replied to a few days back.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Someone mentioned that they recently checked out a Regal. For anyone who has, what did you note as being the major differences between Regal and Lacrosse? I'm having trouble getting my arms around the differences in the way that these two cars are positioned.
    For those who consider these things, the Regal is not made in the USA. It is German made. The engine is assembled in China.

I read a few days ago that the 2012s will be manufactured in Canada.

The first obvious difference is size.

The Regal is positioned as sporty. A drivers car. The Lacrosse a luxury car with good driving.

A Google search will turn up comparitive reviews.
    The Regal is smaller, and handles better. There is much less room in the back seat. The Regal also only comes with a 2.4 liter 4 cyl. engine. I am used to a V8, and thought that the Regal could definitely use more power. A turbo will be offered in the near future.
  • enphanenphan Member Posts: 23
    The reading show average from day 1, include stop at stop sign, warm up etc.
    When you are on highway, reset the average fuel economy (CXL manual section 4).
    Then run at constant speed for couple minutes, it will give you average mileague per gallon.
    I try 92 gas and it gets about 29-30 mile/gallon at 70 mile/hr
    for 87 it gets about 24-26 mile/gallon at 70 mile /hr
    65 is actually seem the best mileague economy.

Without reset it will calculate from last reset, which could be from day 1 if you have not done that.

Hope it helps
    I do not think the Regal engine is built in China, unless Tonawanda, NY has moved there.

The obvious difference between the 2 is size. The Regal is a smaller car, and has a smaller -- but not necessarily small -- back seat. The Regal's trunk is bigger IIRC. But overall it is a smaller car.

The Regal comes only with 4-cylinder power. As of today it only comes in CXL trim, which is nicer than the Lacrosse's CX level but perhaps slightly less nice than the Lacrosse CXL/CXS. The Lacrosse has more features as well and can be had with 6-cylinder power..

• vince33vince33 Member Posts: 1
    Gregg, we bought a new CSX in July, had the same "clunk" sound. It is coming from the long baffle on the exhaust system. The dealer replaced entire exhaust system. the problem is gone. You need to call Buick at tell them, they will help you with the dealer. Go back and read messages 604,606,607,609,610,632,633,and especially 640. Print those messages and take to your dealer. Good luck, Vince33
    You never answered the bonus question......What years were the Buick Wildcat made??? (no answers from the gallery please!) ;)
    Thanks Vince33

Ray (not Gregg)
  • cooleyddcooleydd Member Posts: 105
    From http://www.timelessrides.com/wiki/buick/wildcat

The Wildcat was produced by Buick from 1962 through 1970, and many consider this model the real first performance or muscle car from Buick. Although it is not true muscle car by definition, the car did have a large and powerful engine. The 1962 Wildcat was actually a sub model of the Buick Invicta, with a 325 horsepower Nailhead V8 engine producing 445 ft-lb of torque, which gave the engine the name of "Wildcat 445". The upgraded Invicta was a two door hardtop and included bucket seats, a center console with a tachometer and transmission shifter, special exterior trim, and the Wildcat emblem on each c pillar.