Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Soul Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
Tell us about shopping for your Soul!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• gofitguygofitguy Member Posts: 4
    Bought the Soul ! for my son last week at Liberty Auto Plaza in Libertyville, IL. He drove the Nissan Cube & Scion xB & strongly preferred the Soul. Liberty has been great to deal with in every way. I've bought numerous Nissan's from them but this was my first Kia. They went out of their way to locate & trade for the color my son wanted & had it the next day.

So far, he LOVES the vehicle. The styling isn't as polarizing in or out as the Cube & it has more power & standard features than the others in this class for the price. The 1.9% APR financing & much longer standard warranty make this a fantastic value as long as the reliability is good.

As a repeat customer, I got a very good deal. Most dealers in this area are asking list price & adding options but Liberty did give me a fair discount (not much profit margin) & a super-easy buying experience with no "brain damage" from the staff.

I highly recommend the Soul ! & Liberty Kia.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Congrats on getting your new Soul, gofitguy. It certainly sounds as though you had a pleasant dealer experience. You can stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to tell even more people about it if you'd like. I hope that your son enjoys his new ride :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Wow, I really thought there'd be more activity in this discussion. I will be making a deal very soon on a Soul+ with the five-speed sometime in the next week, I hope. I'll post the results here, in case there's anyone reading the Soul discussions.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    oh yeah, I'm following the Soul discussions. Kia is one my two favorite carmakers and the Soul has definitely caught my attention for it's smooth quirkiness.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• onelegsoulonelegsoul Member Posts: 3
    I bought a Sport model with the sun roof, paid 18,900. Vestal NY at Matthews Auto, nice people everything went great. So far I love the car and I'm not a young buyer, I'm 43 but the car fits me. I lost my right leg a few years back and the seat height in this is perfect for me getting in and out of it.
  • gswhatgswhat Member Posts: 1
    So far So good. I have had a few new cars over the years but this is the first new car I have bought that I have not found any defects yet. I am 52 and believe it is a very sensible and classy car. Comfortable and good head room with lots of extras for the price.
    It is the ! model which includes the sunroof. Paid 18,500 with a little extra pinstripe and home link / compass mirror from Coleman Kia in NJ. They were good, price was fair and they found me the model and color I wanted.
  • scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    You people are crazy for paying over OVER sticker for a Kia Soul. In three months there will be rebates on them. It happens with almost every new model that has any appeal at all.

I went to a Kia dealer while CfC was going on. They wanted me to give them $18K for a Soul+ manual transmission. I laughed and walked away. The salesman called me today, now that CfC is over, and offered the car for $17K. I told him to call when it was down to $15K or so. I expect the call in November.
  • tc1030tc1030 Member Posts: 1
    They actually got good deals on there Souls, both are under suggested retail. Most Kia dealerships are doing between 1500 to 3000 above MSRP due to lack of inventory and high demand. Good luck getting a + model for 15K, you may be waiting a little bit longer than november for that phone call. You could however purchase yourself a xB and for 17K you will not get sat. radio bluetooth keyless entry power w/L or a 10 year 100,000 mile waranty. But hey at least you will get a good deal right?
  • nationwidekianationwidekia Member Posts: 1
    "You people are crazy for paying over OVER sticker for a Kia Soul. In three months there will be rebates on them. It happens with almost every new model that has any appeal at all.

I went to a Kia dealer while CfC was going on. They wanted me to give them $18K for a Soul+ manual transmission. I laughed and walked away. The salesman called me today, now that CfC is over, and offered the car for $17K. I told him to call when it was down to $15K or so. I expect the call in November."

Supply and Demand - the most basic principle of economics!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to see if you were looking to purchase a Toyota or Honda vehicle but after doing some comparison shopping, purchase a Hyundai or Kia because of price/value . Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, October 9, 2009.
  • honkinunithonkinunit Member Posts: 5
    See, and it isn't even November yet.

Laura, you bought exactly the car I want. What color did you get?
  • honkinunithonkinunit Member Posts: 5
    Wow. At $15,707 you actually got the car for under invoice, assuming the $695 destination is included in the $15,707.

For that price I could fly to PA and drive it back to CO for less than what the local rip-off artist is quoting me. They are insisting that they can only offer $500 under MSRP, but then the destination and a $399 "dealer fee" get added back in.

No thanks.

When I am ready to buy, I will start emailing surrounding states and try to strike a balance between the distance I have to travel and the price. Colorado dealers are even worse than California, because it is so far to go to get competing markets. Dealers in Kansas City sell a lot of cars to Coloradans for this reason, especially Subarus. The new Legacy is going for $2000 over MSRP here.
  • 08outtie08outtie Member Posts: 13
    I just stopped by a Kia dealership in San Jose, CA. They have mark up on both the cars that I was looking at, Soul and Forte. The mark up is about $2K on both vehicles for all trims except the base. The Soul that they put inside the showroom was over $20K on the dealer's sticker with the mark up. I know that final price is negotiable, so I wouldn't care much about the number on the sticker and I wasn't ready to buy yesterday anyway. The salesperson sounded nice enough even knowing I was there just to look. But come on, in my opinion, Kia is in no place to ask for mark up even their vehicles are now competitive among other Japanese manufacturers. Even if they are willing to negotiate down from the sticker, putting a mark up on a supposedly "value alternative" is deterring shoppers.

I also went to Scion. the dealer I went to told me that they do not negotiate. They said they have "no hassle pricing" LoL. But at least they are selling everything at MSRP and in fact they actually sold out all the xD and xB. They had no inventory to show me because of the result from CfC.

So comparing a dealer who had experienced high demand, sold out inventory and charging MSRP, the Kia dealer is really disappointing by putting a mark up.
  • sleeplessinlasleeplessinla Member Posts: 1
    Out the door cost was 14,490.86. Was prepared to pay about $900 more when they called me back to say car was "on sale" and could be had for this price.

Had a great experience with Karrie Hubbard (internet manager)and the whole team of Kearny Pearson Ford/Kia in San Diego. My husband and I actually took the train from LA, where they picked us and drove us to the dealership. Glad it all worked out as we had no other way home.

Transaction was almost completely done via email and phone and no hassles with dealer add-ons or any other sales pitches we weren't interested in. Boy am I glad Simi Valley wouldn't budge on insisting I get $400 anti-theft system. Almost paid about $1500 more for this very car. Also got the 0% financing. Best deal I've gotten since my 1995 Honda Civic with no power steering.

Drove the car home from San Diego and no complaints. Not the target demo for this car (almost 40 mom of three) but everything I was looking for. Needed a safe car for baby sitter to drive kids around town. Hadn't ever heard of this car before I saw one in the parking lot of Ikea on Sunday. So glad I discovered it and Kearny Pearson in SD.
  • csp558csp558 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am interested in a Soul Sport, Titanium, Auto, Loaded. Can you give me what options you had and the price before taxes etc.? Thanks JOHN
  • seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    Can someone share how much they paid for Soul OTD around New York City.
  • rav4manrav4man Member Posts: 21
    I saw two of these this winter flipped over off the road. What is that all about?
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    people can't drive.
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    I took a test drive in a Kia Plus automatic and it had heated leather seats. This option doesn't show up in the brochure and when I asked the salesman if this is an aftermarket add on, he said that's how they come from the factory. I called Kia and they told me no such options exist. The leather was black with white stitches and very well done, but the seat heater was useless. I liked the car for the relatively high seating position and the short length, with 161 inches it will fit into any garage and it will be easy to park. I probably wouldn't take it on a long trip but as a city car it's near perfect. It has four doors and a hatchback in a very short body, drives well, better than the Fit, and more relaxed than my VW GTI. I'm considering this instead of the Honda Element or CRV now.
    edited February 2010
    The limited-production "Special Edition 3" comes with the black leather and seat heaters. It's not available on other Souls.

Kia Soul Special Edition
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    Thanks for the update. The Kia rep. at the toll free phone center wasn't aware of its existence. I really liked the interior, I hope they would make it available on the other models. Maybe by Christmas they'll have them.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The local kia dealer has $1750 added to the msrp plus $600 in paint sealant. He must have 15 Souls gathering dust on the lot. Pretty funny.
  • soplushsoplush Member Posts: 29
    Due to layoff, my credit history has taken some blows of late. I need an inexpensive reliable car, and the Soul looks like it meets my needs. I could put 2000-3000 down on a car w/o "pain". How accomodating are Kia dealers for people with poor credit? Does having cash to put down help improve my chances of getting financed or not?

I've explored buying something outright that's "had the wheels run off of it", but everything I've seen is pretty scary, and I don't want to buy $2000 worth of unreliability.

Appreciate any feedback you guys have. Thanks.
    I think that depends on the dealer, but here in Macon, Georgia, the Kia dealer has been actively recruiting buyers with poor credit. Of course, these buyers probably wind up paying MSRP+, not to mention high interest rates and exorbitant charges for a "protection package."
  • bkl1bkl1 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Hi
    Hubby and I bought a new Soul + last week at Kia Mall of Georgia near Atlanta. It came with the Audio upgrade package, the rear bumper applique, the floor mats, cargo tray and wheel locks. I talked to every dealer in the Athens/Atlanta area and even test drove a few and none would budge on the sticker price. Couldn't get any other dealer to come down below 17,800 for the bare bones + model even when we went in to test drive. The Mall of Georgia dealership came down over the phone, their sticker price was $17,655 and we paid $15,900 including tax and all fees for our new Kia. It was the only no hassle dealer we found. In fact it took us less time to buy our Soul and drive home, then to test drive and listen to the sales pitches at other Kia dealers. Absolutely love our Soul, still can't believe the great gas mileage and the blue tooth and audio controls on the steering wheel are awesome! It took us a while to contact each dealership and try and work out a deal, but we got one in our price range and are very happy with our Soul.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Nicely done!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you bought a Kia in the past year, a reporter wants to hear about your decision and your experience to date. Please email pr@edmunds.com with your contact info before Saturday, March 27, 2010.
  • coliphagecoliphage Member Posts: 10
    Got a quote from dealer:
    Soul + with audio upgrade, cargo cover, cargo net, cargo liner, floor mats.
    $15,950 OTD, including all but titling and registration, which cost about $40.

Tax rate is 7.65% here and we qualify the $1,000 competitor rebate.
  • aaasupr1aaasupr1 Member Posts: 3
    We ended up buying a Toyota Venza, but we did consider this vehicle. We walked away from a deal with the highest loaded Soul on the lot for a pre hard stance negotiation price of 2ooo usd below invoice, or in this area, Tampa, 16500. Loved its zippy engine and look, ride did just not satisfy. Great warranty.
  • cars1977cars1977 Member Posts: 2
    On 6/28, bought a Shadow Soul Base model for $13441 minus a trade-in that Edmunds says is worth $928. Didn't qualify for competitor rebate, did qualify for grad rebate ($400)which brings me down to $12,041+$200 doc fee(this includes destination fee). This does not include tax, or registration. Drove the car home on this date, but then the dealer called me telling me the rebate changed and I could also have the grad rebate AND 0% APR. I was happy with this. I could not think of a reason the dealer would call me back except customer satisfaction. I guess I'm too cynical now. Courtesy Kia in Attleboro, MA was my dealer-Love my car!
  • coast2coastcoast2coast Member Posts: 13
    Great Job KYFDX!

I was wondering did that price include any rebates or customer credits?
    Trade-in?
  • fourml8rfourml8r Member Posts: 8
    just picked up a 2010 soul (!) model automatic with no extra options. msrp $18890, invoice was $17,995. paid $17774 ($221 BELOW invoice) + tax/tags. also got 3 years with 0% financing.
  • fourml8rfourml8r Member Posts: 8
    correction on my price, see below:

just picked up a 2010 soul (!) model automatic with no extra options. msrp $18890, invoice was $17,995. paid $17734 ($261 BELOW invoice) + tax/tags. also got 3 years with 0% financing.
  • markusofmarkusof Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I got my Soul+ for a price I cannot say, I Think I SOUL (Stole) it as it was less than any posted.
    I have Soul + with audio upgrade, cargo cover, cargo net, cargo liner, floor mats, Sun Roof and 7yr Unlimited Mileage Glass Coat / Teflon Protection.
    $18420 + 895 Glass Coat = Soul

Tell them Jeff Sent Ya...

I would recommend you talk to Faiz Tueimeh.....
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    ya got there, markusof. Enjoy it! Kia is on a roll that is really surpassing that of big bro Hyundai right now, IMO.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• tampachrissietampachrissie Member Posts: 3
    Can you tell me which dealer you were working with? I've looked at Century, but couldn't get them below invoice more then a couple hundred.
  • kidfunkkidfunk Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody bought a soul+ with audio upgrade lately?
  • sirk98sirk98 Member Posts: 7
    Thinking about purchasing or leasing a Soul+ automatic w/ sunroof/foglights, rear applique, sound upgrade, cargo net/cover, etc; remote start, wheels locks, etc...

Wondering what people are seeing out there. I am in NYC area...
  • jjcaijjcai Member Posts: 1
    Hi, sirk98. I'm also looking around for a Soul + (basic config is good enough for me). I'm in Stamford, CT. The newly opened dealer said they just sold out SOUL for now. Any good KIA dealer you know in NYC (or metro NY)? Thx.
  • sirk98sirk98 Member Posts: 7
    Hi jjcai

Stamford actually seemed the most honest of the dealerships I spoke to. Check dealerrater.com--seems to be a good resource for finding reputable dealers...

If Stamford is out of pocket, I might try Karp Kia on Long Island, as they have great ratings
  • goodvibesgoodvibes Member Posts: 1
    Hi all
    I am live on the Central Coast of Cali, and had no intention of buying a new car for a very long time but there I was in my CSAA rental after my 2009 Pontiac Vibe was totaled, and a check to buy my new car with.
    I drove 6 cars in 4 days, the SOUL was first, and the last!
    I went back on the last day of the month to buy one. The only SOUL that was left on the lot was not my 1st choice. I wanted the Automatic Transmission in Dune, MSRP $16450., as I recall. That's it, no add ons.
    I am now the proud owner of a car that any 20 something would love to own, and I am 48! I love it! My SOUL is so safe and so cute. MSRP on my Lil' Alien? $19650., and the price sold to me $16750.. That is one heck of a motivated salesperson!
    I am still comprehending the events of the events of the past 3 1/2 weeks without a doubt.
  • larchmomlarchmom Member Posts: 2
    Was seriously considering buying the Soul ! w/premium package from Kia dealer in East Meadow, NY, but then saw that they got an "F" from the Better Business Bureau for lots of complaints, so now I'm asking myself -- and anyone out there with experience -- am I crazy?!
    Also, I have 2 teenage boys who will be driving this car (altho it will officially be MINE). Concerned about visibility & blind spot, and lack of 4WD. Any comments, anyone?
    If I don't get the Soul, may well go for a used certified Honda CRV, which would be the 2nd in our steep driveway.
    Welcome anyone's thoughts.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Well, if your dealer has an F from the BB and you don't want to do business with them, that shouldn't sway you from considering the Soul. Just consider one from another dealer. After all the BBB rating is for the dealer, not Kia.

As a snow belt occupant (Chicago area) I can understand your concern about the lack of AWD. A couple of weeks ago I dropped $900 on a snowthrower. :cry: For small CUV alternatives, you might also look at a Nissan Rogue or Juke, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson, and so on. All can be had with AWD. I'm assuming price is at least something of a concern since you mentioned the CR-V alternative would be used, so you might also look at, say, the Ford Escape which should be reasonably priced used.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • larchmomlarchmom Member Posts: 2
    Fushigi,
    I take it you have a Soul, though? How has it been handling the roads with snow and bad weather?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    No, I don't own a Soul nor have I sold it to the devil. :D I was merely expressing my opinion that while FWD w/traction control is tolerable in winter conditions, AWD makes it a whole lot easier to handle.

My wife has a '12 Elantra (FWD, of course) and I have a '10 Outlander GT (AWD). In winter the Outlander can be driven almost like it's on dry pavement. It handles and accelerates just fine. Braking, of course, can't be helped by AWD so you still have to be an aware driver & allow appropriate distance.

You mentioned in your OP that you had a steep driveway. I would think that AWD would make it much easier to handle when the driveway is slick or there are icy patches (that always seem to elude our best attempts at clearing away).

That said, if you anticipate the vehicle mostly being driven on roads after they've been cleared then AWD wouldn't be necessary.

As to the cost difference, in your area I would think the added cost of AWD would be returned when you sell the vehicle so that's a wash. You're mostly left with the 1-3MPG penalty AWD systems impose over their FWD brothers.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who has recently traded down from a midsize to a small car, or who recently bought a compact car after shopping both midsize and compacts. Please e-mail pr@edmunds.com with a daytime phone contact and a brief description of your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• namonanamona Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2011
    I got a quote for 2012 Soul + with Auto transmission of $16,500in the chicagoland area. Is this a good price?
  • amysmamysm Member Posts: 4
    Been looking for a kia soul+ for several months now. A local dealer has the one I want with the upgrades I'm looking for. The msrp is 20,070. Sale price I am being offered is 18,978. Based on my online research I believe this to be $300 under invoice. (seems too good to be true) I will be leasing which I have never done before. I am being told the money factor is .00164. The residual is set at 56%15k and 57%12k . Lease is 39 months.

What do you experts think?
  • biochemistbiochemist Member Posts: 19
    Hi, looking at a 2012 Soul+ with interior lighting, wheel locks, floor mats, & automatic for an MSRP of $18545, and the dealer is willing to sell for $16500 + title, license, and taxes and will throw in the iPod cable. Seems like a great price. Just wanted others' thoughts before I sign. Thanks.
  • biochemistbiochemist Member Posts: 19
    what other options were on the car? MSRP? I just posted with something similar but had almost $400 in options for the same selling price. Which dealer?