Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    The fact that the cruise control light doesn't blink suggests your problem may be external to the cruise control system itself. Here are a couple of things you can try:

-Check the clutch switch, which disengages the cruise when the clutch is depressed. If this has become maladjusted, it should be easy to fix.

-Check to see that your brake lights aren't on for some reason, and that your emergency brake is fully off. Either of these things will cause cruise to disengage, or prevent it from engaging.

Good luck.

-Karl
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    Thanks for reminding me that there are external systems that interact with the CC :)
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Thanks for the info on the ground clearance measurement. I'm going to try to measure mine and see the exact measurement. Any idea why they use the rear differential? Is that generally the lowest point underneath? Or the lowest point without skid plates?
  • so_caliso_cali Member Posts: 65
    According to the owner's manual, the new 2003 V-6 is designed to operate on 87 Octane or higher - a nice way to cover yourself for any situation.

I personally wouldn't waste my money on anything above that.
  • chas215chas215 Member Posts: 22
    I have a new 03 V6 4Runner. Am experiencing a hissing sound from brake pedal each time it is applied (sounds like a small air pump). Can anyone tell me if this is a normal brake pedal function of the 4Runner or should I take it in to my local service dept to be looked at? Have other Toyotas but have never experienced this brake pedal sound before. Thanks for your feedback.
  • 4spoiler4spoiler Member Posts: 2
    I am considering getting extended warranty for my 2003 4Runner. Want to see what your comments on getting extended protection plans from Toyota.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Hi 4Runner owners !
    Can you please tell me what is not perfect with your truck ? I mean heavy stuff (transmissions, engine, suspension, brakes, steering etc), not just the look (me I think it looks great).
    For instance can you ever feel the transmission shudder when it shifts ? In fact can you feel it shifting at all ? When you push harder the gas pedal will it lower the engine power when shifting ? I'm asking because I hate that. Please mention if you have V6 or V8.
    Thanks a lot.
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    Has anyone heard anything about the 2004 4Runner? I was wondering if Toyota will come back with the two-tone colors for the LTD now that the exterior of the SR5 looks a lot like the LTD.

Personally, I really liked the two-tone paint on the previous edition and would wait for a '04 if two tone paint was going to be available.
  • kstittkstitt Member Posts: 9
    I have recently noticed a strong vibration while the transmision is in drive (5th gear) and stopped at a signal. When I shift into park or neutral it goes away. It does not make a difference if the air conditioner is on or off. The 2003 V8 4Runner has 7,000 miles. Has anyone experienced this, and if so what has been the fix?
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    bmw323is--My fuel filler door is steel, and the backing structure is also. How did you find out that yours is aluminum? Have you tried a magnet to confirm that?

Vibration at idle--My V6 does it a little, some of the time. Quite minor, and I wouldn't have thought anything of it if it hadn't been mentioned here before.

Delicate (=cheap?) headliner material--One of the only places where I think they went with an inferior product. It scuffs too easily, and there were a couple of minor scuffs already when I picked it up new! I'm the only person who's ever driven this one, other than dealership personnel, so I know it hasn't been abused.

Fuel octane to use, and the consequences--This topic has been explained in very good detail here previously. Might I nudge those interested to use the "Search this Discussion" box at the bottom of the page? That search technology is wonderful stuff!

Climate control keeps switching back (in manual mode, anyway) to recirculate setting--I've seen this mentioned a time or two before, but no resolution. Has anybody asked Toyota or the dealer about this one, or should I be the first? I read the owner's manual once, and don't remember this being handled.

Transmission imperfections--There have been some discussions and comments on the behavior and responsiveness of the two different transmissions previously in this thread. I've driven both multiple times, and like the V6 better, though they're both good.

Mileage--Still getting around 20 MPG in mixed driving, with a bias toward highway. Pretty spiffy for a 4200 lb vehicle with 245 HP!
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    If it is like what I am used to, the climate control will automatically switch to recirculate when the interior temperature of the car is very far from the setting. Once the interior temperature has become closer to the set point, the climate control will switch back to outside air. The recirculate setting is more efficient for both heating and cooling and is incorporated to assist in initial cooling/heating when necessary.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I purchased mine through my dealer, for ~$925.00. I traded-in my 2002 Explorer for my new 4Runner Ltd. Thankfully, I had also purchased a Ford extended warranty for my Explorer, and it paid for itself about 5-6 times over before I finally got rid of that lemon at ~46,000 miles. Had I not had the extended warranty on the Explorer, I would have been in BIG financial trouble, and would have been stuck with that truck. With the new 4Runner, I hope I never have any problems, but it only took one bad experience with a new vehicle in which an extended warranty saved my butt, to convince me that a manufacturer's top-shelf extended warranty makes very, very good sense, especially for someone like myself, who drives at *least* 350 miles/week. In fact, I've had my new 4Runner for 2 months now, and it has nearly 5000 miles on it so far. Therefore, you can imagine how fast I'd blow through a standard factory warranty in terms of MILEAGE.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    * 2 colors dropped - Impulse red pearl & Imperial jade mica
    * Limited available in white
    * Color keyed cladding standard on SR5
    * SE still has gray cladding
    * SR5 & Limited have 3rd row seat optional
    (excluding Limited with rear air suspension height control)
  • joanvbjoanvb Member Posts: 8
    For those who are considering the '03 4Runner...my family of 3 (husband and teenaged son) just returned from a round trip from Long Beach, CA to Long Beach, WA, towing an "ultralight" (estimated loaded about 4,000+ lbs.) 21' travel trailer with an '03 Limited 4x4 V8 with X-REAS and navigation.

Thanks to information and recommendations found on this discussion, prior to the trip, ordered and installed a more heavy-duty hitch and got the Weathertech floor mats. Happy with both.
    We also got Yakima roof rack additions for the roof rack for transporting bikes, which we'll use for skis in the winter.

Towed beautifully. We previously towed with a '98 Ford 150, and this towed even better.

Drove on the beach (without the trailer)at Long Beach, WA, (can't do that in Long Beach, CA) and the vehicle handled beautifully, even in soft sand. The moonroof was particularly nice for that, as well.

When ordering the car, the navigation was a luxury for me, and I have found it well worth the extra $. Allows you to "see" what the road is doing up ahead, shows how many miles to go and how many hours/minutes to get there. This combined with the "range" indicator of how many miles are left on the tank was very helpful. Also, among other "points of interest",it will indicate grocery stores or gas stations.

The back seat headphones worked great...our son (or me) could listen to CD's or the radio, while front seat listened to something else. Sure you could take along a walkman for the same thing, but this was more fun and less "stuff" to deal with.

My only complaint? As mentioned previously on this forum, the headliner is very easily scuffed. I've already inadvertently put several light marks in it by holding my key in my hand as I put something in the car. Just have to be careful!

Thank you to all who have contributed here. The information has been very helpful.
  • saarkazmsaarkazm Member Posts: 11
    I'm also experiencing the same thing. I will bring my truck into the dealer tomorrow and post any updates as soon as I get it.
  • coppermine2001coppermine2001 Member Posts: 8
    I am in the market for a 2003 or 2004 Toyota 4Runner but I can't decide if I should get a V-6 or a V-8. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • nwrunnernwrunner Member Posts: 2
    I also experienced the moonroof rattle (2003, v-6. LTD), using the available technical bulletins my dealer was able to make the necessary corrections, and the rattle was completely eliminated. So good luck to others experiencing this problem. However, I do think that the "wind noise" for the 4Runner is more than most vehicles. Perhaps a wind deflector would help, not sure.

MY QUESTION: I would like to remove the multitude of warning labels located on the visors, however, they don't seem to just peel off, has someone had succes in removing them?

Although my vehicle is only 2 months old, I have had the opportunity to take it off-road MANY times, and am very impressed with it's handling and capability.
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    model for 2004?? Are they adding any colors? Also, do you know when they will be out?

Thanks again for responding?
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Thanks for the update on '04 changes. I thought the mid-year '03 changes included a change to color-keyed cladding for the Sport Edition? Will the '04 Sport Edition go back to the grey cladding?

I think it's already been mentioned here, but I noticed that the Sport Edition photos on the toyota.com site have all been changed to reflect the use of color-keyed cladding.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Yes, the diff is the lowest point, so it is your true clearance. Some people also measure for the bottom of the frame rails at the side.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    Go with the V8, it is a proven engine and doesn't seem to have all of the 'bugs' that the new V6 is having. Five speed tranny is really nice, which is available only on the V8.

Read your owners manual about 4LO, you should only use 4LO under 10mph, it is made to get you unstuck, not for longterm driving.
  • oldnavycdroldnavycdr Member Posts: 17
    I'm in the market for the 4Runner and read the postings on the various glitches and problems. What concerns me is the questions about QC. Let me pose this you all of you new owners: should I wait for the '04 with hopes the moon roof rattles, belt squeals, and cladding issues are resolved or are these minor enough to get the better price on an '03? Also, V6 or V8? I won't be towing, like the increased horsepower of the 6 but I'm disturbed about some of the reports posted about folks having to fight for a whole new vehicle because of engine problems. So, folks if you had it to do again, now or later?
    V6 vs. V8 decision (coppermine2001): Search this discussion and you'll get lots of opinions and some good information. I'd recommend the V6 based on my own research and criteria (and experience), but your situation may vary. The V6 is a new engine with a proven transmission, while the V8 is a proven engine with a new transmission. Both engine and transmission are expensive and complicated devices and, according to what I've seen, are about equally likely (though not very likely) to present you with problems or a big repair bill.

Climate control: I dislike the habit of the system to switch to recirculate mode by itself, even when in manual mode. Reading the manual, it seems that Toyota believes that recirc mode can help initial cooling on a hot day. I don't understand that, since the cabin is much hotter than outside air on sunny days. I don't use auto mode much, BTW, because I think it is a waste of energy and is likely to wear the A/C system more. As far as I understand it, the auto mode uses both the heater and the A/C on warm days, to cool the cabin. Instead of cycling the A/C compressor on and off as more "primitive" vehicles might, it gets the heater and A/C to fight each other to get the ideal temp out of the vents. A rational system, of course, but it's hard for me to be happy with the idea of burning fuel and wearing parts to both heat and cool air at the same time. Unfortunately, my alternative is to set the temp to "Lo" and cycle the A/C on and off manually when it's hot out. Anybody else got ideas on this one?

Cladding: This has got to be a quandry for Toyota, since some people like the gray cladding an it is functional. It's odd that Toyota might keep it on the sport editions (though I guess it is more sporty looking) since it seems to be more of an off-road look and the sport edition (with lower profile tires, XReas and painted mirrors) is slightly more tuned for on-road use. Interestingly, a recent Chevy magazine ad for the Avalanche (which seems to have made excessive grey cladding famous!) emphasizes that you can now get the Avalanche with and without "body hardware" (their term, not mine). Maybe retaining it as an option for the SR5/Sport is the best approach?
  • so_caliso_cali Member Posts: 65
    The dealer ordered a new glass panel, put it in yesterday, replaced the rubber around it (not sure if that comes with the glass), the channels and had previously done the TSBs for this problem. The TSBs alone didn't seem to be enough but now...

Voila. FIXED! My SR5 rides as tight as a drum now with NO rattles from the roof. It's nice to know that this is INDEED a fixable problem. I believe the key is to replace the glass panel itself!

Good luck to those who still have this annoying problem!

My 2¢ on the engine recommendation is to go with the V6, the mileage is better and major reviewers like the writer for the NY Times sited above, recommend it OVER the 8 unless you are towing on a regular basis.

Getting my factory chrome wheels today and plan on just enjoying the new ride!
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    In my futile search for a high flow air filter for the new V6 4Runner, I noticed that the current airbox tube appears to pull outside air from the passenger wheel well vents rather than from the engine compartment.. I had been considering installing some 2-3" flex tubing from the front air dam to route cooler air, like I've done on other vehicles, but perhaps its not necessary!
    The information that I have on the new model is what I posted before. The red and green colors have been dropped and white will be available for the Limited. No other new colors were added. No two tone.

The SR5 has the color keyed cladding as standard equipment, but mirrors are black. (Several items have been changed to be standard equipment on the SR5; appearance package, black running boards, tonneau cover, fog lamps, privacy glass and weather guard)

No appearance package for the SE; it has the same gray cladding as 2003.

Production on 2004 doesn't start until August, with shipping starting in September. I would look for them in the dealerships after mid September.

I've ordered mine and the estimate is 3-4 months for delivery. (sigh)
    V6 indeed has more hp than V8, but the big difference is torque. The V8 will push you back in your seat like a 60's muscle car. There is roughly a 40lbs+ gain in torque with the V8. How does the Sport have low-profile tires? 265/65R17 is pretty tall.
    There are a few Sport packages with the AP package running around. So that means if you have a '03 Sport with the AP, you have a definite 'collectors' edition.
  • claymore1claymore1 Member Posts: 21
    I am concerned about the availability of the Appearance Package on the new 4Runner Sports Editions for 2004. Is it definitely not an option? Are you all speculating about it, or is it insider info that is pretty reliable? I have been very disappointed with the way the cladding looks in 2003 and the way the issue was (not) addressed properly by Toyota even after many customers' addressed dissatisfaction.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Just out of curiousity: what was it about the way Toyota addressed the cladding issue which rubbed you the wrong way?

Off-topic: I checked your profile. There is a thread in the 'Coupes/Convertible/Sportscars' for old Mustangs. You can probably find some freindly advice regarding restoration in there even though that thread have been pretty quiet for a while.
    Vehicle acceleration is proportional to torque at the wheels, rather than at the crankshaft, so higher horsepower should produce higher acceleration, if the transmission ratio is ideal for the speed you're at. However this is really true for only a single speed. For acceleration over a speed range, the situation is more complex and varies with time. The V8 has its biggest torque advantage at lower revs and I believe the V8 is faster 0-60, so perhaps it's the initial "off the line" acceleration that's most different. My experience with 50-70 MPH acceleration in V6 and V8 models was the same. I'll bet there are drag-race enthusiast sites that explain this all much better than I can. For those who are considering both engines, drive them over the same route in quick sequence and see which one YOU like better.

sacstate1, I don't think I've heard anyone refer to the 17" tires as low-profile, just lowER. For the stock tires, for example, the 265/65-17s are lower profile than the 265/70-16s. For genuinely LOW profile, I did see a Sport model on a dealer lot with 19 or 20 inch rims and 50-series rubber. Not to my taste, but for the dollars they were asking they clearly expected that somebody would like that setup a lot.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I fail to see the logic behind not offering AP (body color cladding) on '04 Sport models. We all know SR5 does not offer XREAS suspension and I specifically have been waiting for '04 Sport model with AP to be released. If Toyota has eyes on this forum, they should realize this and give consumers more choice. In my opinion, leaving the cladding out as an option on all three trim level is the only logical way to go about this.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Either that or offer the XREAS suspension on all trim levels.
  • rstebierstebie Member Posts: 6
    Hi all
    I enjoy reading the posts. I have a '03 sports there is talk about this or that one thing or another. Do you real think Toyota cares what 15 or 20 people are posting here when there are thousands of these SUV's on the road???????
    If there were hundreds of folks posting here I should think it would be worth there time to looking into these complaints ect. Just a thought
    Bob S
  • dogwingdogwing Member Posts: 11
    I am going to purchase a 2003 SR5 4Runner 4x4. I will be occasionally towing a 2200 lb pop-up camper. At times this will occur in mountain areas. Will the V6 do the job without a lot of engine strain or is the V8 better? I get conflicting opinions. I am not a power nut and as long as the motor performs at an acceptable level I am happy. I will appreciate any input. Thanks.........
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    and say lots of people (in the 1000s throughout the year) look at this board. One, it's linked to the number one vehicle buying informational site. Two, there are no other boards like it regarding the 4Runner, with the exception of Yototech which is geared more toward off-roaders. I think you get a good cross section of feedback on this board from the trailer towers, kid haulers, off roaders, and the want-to-be's(nothing wrong with that). I imagine Toyota corporate looks at it. Look at the number of Toyota affiliates that post on here.

Been gone. Loved the cargo net thread..zzzzzzzz.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    The V6 will not have a problem towing the 2200 pound camper, even in the mountains. If you are like most pop-up owners, about 5% of your annual mileage will be used in towing, so drive both and get the engine you like best while NOT towing. If you were to tow bigger trailers at some point, you may want the V8 if you plan to keep the 4Runner for a long time.
  • meemo87meemo87 Member Posts: 17
    There was a press release posted somewhere on this board that stated all Sport Editions produced starting in May would have color keyed cladding (appearance pkg) as standard equipment. The same post also stated that all V8's produced starting in May would have the new upgraded hitch. I have seen one of these SE's in black, no cladding, upgraded hitch. I was impressed with this vehicle's looks since it was ALL black except for the silver roof rack. YES, even the door handles were black. The combination of the hood scoop, SE wheels and the solid black color made this one tough looking rig.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Corancher, you said: "and the sport edition (with lower profile tires, XReas and painted mirrors) is slightly more tuned for on-road use."

-----> Strange, I thought that X-REAS and 17-inch Sport rims (you can put off-road tires, can't you?) are MORE suited for off-roading than 4Runners with no X-REAS and 16-inch rims. Am I incorrect? Does anyone have any thoughts on the issue?
  • forerunnerforerunner Member Posts: 5
    Dogwing,
       I too have a 2200lbs. pop-up trailer and had pulled it until recently with a '96 V6 4Runner. I got around fine with it, but definitely felt it dragging behind. I now have the V8 and can honestly say there is a world of difference. I cannot comment on the new V6 although it must also be a great improvement over what I had before. So finally, I'm not much help!! But I must say, just the sound of the V8 is worth it!!
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    Dogwing,

I was towing a pop-up (Coleman Santa Fe) with a V-6 Highlander last year. It did fine, even over 12,000 foot passes (used premium fuel). I could even pass slow motorhomes with it. This year I am towing it with an '03 V-8 4Runner (using regular fuel). The V-8 definitely feels more powerful than the HL V-6. The biggest difference, though, is that my Runner has rear air suspension. The Highlander sagged in the rear and at night oncoming cars flashed their lights at me. Soon after starting the Runner after hooking up the trailer the air suspension pumps the rearend back up to level--very nice.

I still believe the V-8 is superior for towing, but with that size trailer you really won't have any trouble with the V-6.

I will say that I am slightly disappointed at how often the Runner drops out of OD when towing (even when not). It seems to pull hills very well at slower speeds (40-50) without downshifting, but at 65 or 75, even on slight hills on the Interstate, it drops into 4th and sometimes 3rd. There were times I just turned off OD, as the manual recommends. Wish I could tow my trailer with a V-6 Runner and the 4 speed tranny to see if there is any difference.

I would prefer the V-8 for towing if I were buying one today, but I would also be happy with the V-6. Now, if I were towing 6,000 lbs, I would definitely want the V-8.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you'll find that most people recommend towing with the overdrive off too. The owners manual must recommend that for a reason?

Check out the Towing tips for SUVs discussion for some threads about this.

Steve, Host
  • dogwingdogwing Member Posts: 11
    Thanks so much for all the input on the 4Runner 4x4 with the V6 vs the V8 for towing.... Now about three more and I will go to bed....
             1) I have heard that premium fuel is recommended for the 4 Runner engines. Is that true?
             2) What kind of gas mileage can a conservative driver expect in both city and highway mileage with the V6 vs the V8? I do not trust the sticker estimates...
              This is the first time I have used this site and I am very thankful to all of you who have attempted to help me.... Again thanks...
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The 16" rims would be better suited for off road. There is more rubber (between rim & road) allowing the tire to flex better over terrain.

I would think the X-REAS might hamper suspension articulation off road. I haven't tried it, so I couldn't tell you for certain. It does provide a tighter handling ride on the street though.

It just depends on your preference.
    > Is it definitely not an option? Are you all speculating about it, or is it insider info that is pretty reliable?

Well, I work for Toyota, but as for it being insider info, I doubt that. I ordered a 2004 so I got to see the options list, which should be available to dealerships and other areas. Building starts in 3 weeks and shipping in 7. I don't think it's a big secret or anything.

On the spec sheet I was provided there was no option for color keyed cladding for the SE. It states that it is standard for the SR5 and Limited.

Now there are large Toyota entities, like Southeast Toyota, that modify the vehicles they buy from Toyota Sales, so it may be possible that it will be offered in some areas of the US, but as an option directly from Toyota (at least today)it isn't available. That could change, just like the AP package being offered late '03 MY. Anything can happen, right :-)

Why don't they offer all the options on all the models? I don't know. Seems to me, if I'm willing to wait 4 months for a 4Runner I should be able to get *any* of the options. They all go down the same line. I can understand dealerships sticking to the best selling configurations, though.

Does Toyota watch this (and other) sites? You betcha! Does it have an impact? I would say it depends on how serious it is. If sales are great and they're selling all they're making then probably not. If sales are less than that I guess it would be a judgement call. For '03 there was no 3rd seat, Toyota said they wouldn't offer it, and now it's an option for '04 (uh, but not in the SE).

One final note on the cladding. I saw a brochure for the Hi Lux Surf (Japanese version of the 4Runner). All of the models had color keyed cladding....except the "American" version, which had gray cladding that had been painted with semi-gloss clear coat.
  • bkahn1bkahn1 Member Posts: 7
    I am getting ready to purchase a V-8 4runner to tow a small boat (20 ft - 4,200lb including trailer). I would appreciate advice on a 2-WD vs 4-WD vehicle. It appears that a limited slip differential is not available with the 2-WD, but that traction control is standard. Is this sufficient to prevent the dreaded 'one wheel spinning' phenomena? I would like to avoid the cost and complexity of the 4-WD if possible, since snow doesn't happen often in S. Fla. Thank you.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Does anyone know if the 5spd transmission will be offered with the V6 in 04 in the sport? Also, is the interior fabric changing in any of the models?
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I just noticed on the toyota.com site -- all those photos of the Sport Edition with the color-keyed cladding appear to have been edited with an image editor, and not actually reshot. The credits still say that the photos were taken in 2002. Makes sense, as I'm sure Toyota wasn't going to drive those 4Runners back up the mountain just to retake the photos. :)

As for the 2004 change back to grey cladding on the Sport Edition-- I hope Toyota reconsiders. I saw photos of the 2003 color-keyed Sport Edition in various colors on a dealer's site and it's much better looking than the grey-cladded models, IMHO. The code was "YU" for the Sport Appearance Package. The Toyota site says that this is standard, not an option.

RE: the overall way Toyota handled the cladding issue -- reverting back to grey-cladding notwithstanding, I'm impressed with the way they handled it. To not only lower the price, but to make the appearance package standard and throw in the running boards and fog lamps means either of two things (or both): Toyota was feeling really generous; or sales of the redesigned 4Runner were running below expectations.
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    1) Toyota recommends premium for increased performance for both the V-6 and V-8, but regular (87 octane) is allowed. I use regular, as it seems most people do. In the mountains I used the regular grade sold there, which I think was 85 octane, which also seemed to work fine, although it worried me a little using a lower octane than recommended in the manual. I think there was a thread about this (lower octane for regular gas in the mountains) a while back, but I can't remember what the consensus was. Haven't got time to check right now as I need to get to work.
    2) I posted the mileage figures I get a few weeks ago. See message 6508. Khaug posted about the same time and gets about the same mileage I do. I drive conservatively, but relatively fast. If you search for mileage in the "search this discussion" box you will find many messages with mileage figures. Just be sure the poster is computing the mileage--the figures given by the vehicle's trip computer are higher than what you are actually getting.