Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TPMS Light comes on in cold weather

coolpetecoolpete Member Posts: 30
edited April 2014 in Honda
Lately as it has gotten colder in my area I am noticing that the TPMS light comes on when I start the car and it stays on for up to 10-20 mins at times and then goes away once you have driven the car for some miles.

I looked at the tires and I don't see any tire that seems to have low tire pressure. I am thinking that this is because the tires are cold overnight and once they run a little they get back to the normal air pressure??

I am not sure if I should be taking the car to the dealer for this or not? It is happening now on a daily basis, I don't feel the car driving any differently.

Did not have this issue 6 weeks ago when the temperature was not going below freezing.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Comments

• bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Put the pressure up 3 psi more than usual and your TPMS lights won't come on due to cold weather.
  • ee4lifeee4life Member Posts: 14
    All of your questions should be answered after reading the article below. Also, you need to check the tire pressures with a calibrated accurate gauge and they need to be set cold. You cannot tell just by looking at the tires. If you set the pressures in a warm environment and then drive in a cold environment, the pressures will drop. The pressure needs to be set relative to the operating/outside environment.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/A07110A.PDF

Hope this info helps.
  • coolpetecoolpete Member Posts: 30
    Thanks Very Much!

That helped give me a better understanding of how the TPMS function operates.

Does anyone know off the top of their heads what the tire pressure is supposed to be for cold weather for an EX?

Thx
    LOOk for a sticker/ label at the driver side door jam. it state tire pressure, front and rear and spare. also manufacture date and or VIN No. ...
    If you are lazy to check air pressure of tires then fill tires with nitrogen is for you, plus there 're other benefits ...

http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php
  • tr2robertstr2roberts Member Posts: 1
    The article was a great source of information. However, the TPMS light on my 2007 Odyssey EX-L goes on and off intermittently. It could be while we are driving, first thing, or not at all. The van has been in the shop THREE times, and is there again now because they cannot figure out the problem. The service rep said that each time they have looked at it there is a "wacky" history of all different codes. They replaced the sensor and....AGAIN! The TPMS light still comes and goes. It does not seem to be related to cold weather as there is not a pattern to the light indicator.

Have you heard of this in other situations? Do you have any suggestions?! I am very hopeful that SOMEONE can help!

Thank you!!
  • co_copco_cop Member Posts: 17
    Fill them to 38# (Cold).

P.
This discussion has been closed.