Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 impala shifts hard when cold

ofarmerofarmer Member Posts: 3
We were in upstate New York a few days ago where the night time temperatures had been about 0 degrees. When we left to drive home at 10AM the temperature was +5 degrees. For the next 2 hours the car shifted very roughly when going up a hill. It felt like the car was slamming into a lower gear. About noon time the temperature had risen to about 18 degrees and the car shifted normally.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Thanks,
Owen Farmer

Comments

• Options
    PantherWreckPantherWreck Member Posts: 2
    Rode with a tech the other day for a transmission problem in a 2007. My car missed first gear and then shifted hard in all gears after that. He explained that when a shift is missed, the transmission goes into 'fault mode' and boosts the transmission fluid line pressure to prevent further damage to the transmission. The amount of pressure is controlled by the pressure control solenoid inside the transmission.

This might be one explanation.
  • Options
    rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    Could be that the tranny fluid was very cold, when this happens it moves like molasses. When it that cold you have to warm up the engine/tranny for fifth teen minutes, also place a piece of cardboard on the lower grill . This will prevent the tranny cooler, that's built into the radiator, from being super cooled . Then the oil will be able to warm up a keep a proper operating temperature. This explains why when the outside temp rose up your tranny started to operate normally.
  • Options
    Sorry for not replying sooner. I could not log in??

That sounds like a faulty transmission. I traded in an Olds Intrigue for the 2008 Impala. I never had this problem with the Olds in ski country.
  • Options
    Sorry for not replying sooner. I could not log in??

Thanks for the tip. Placing cardboard in front of the radiator is not something I've done for 30 years, but it is worth a try. Also, we will be going to northern Vermont this month. Maybe I should try a dealer up there if the problem recurs- it's more likely that a Vt dealer might have encountered the problem.
  • Options
    reewvereewve Member Posts: 1
    My shift lever locked up in Park and won't release. Shift lever release button will not depress. It sounds like it may be torque locke, but this thing is stuck solid, won't budge. Tried everything recommended in the owner's manual, pushed it, etc. I'm stuck and there's no-one at Chevy to help me. Car has 25k miles and is otherwise fine. I have no clue...any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Options
    ajt1124ajt1124 Member Posts: 3
    I heard knocking noise when applying brakes and when pulling into parking spots and such. I took it to the dealer and they said the steering assembly had to be replaced. Well less than 8 months later, the sound is back. Is this an on going issue with the 2008 Impala SS?
  • Options
    frank127frank127 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Shift lever release button will not depress. It sounds like it may be torque lock, but this thing is stuck solid, won't budge. Tried everything recommended in the owner's manual, Please help I have a 2006 Chevrolet Impala
  • Options
    becky0202becky0202 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
  • Options
    daisy34daisy34 Member Posts: 1
    Chevrolet dealer said the whole gearshift would have to be replaced and would cost $500.00 plus. There was no other alternative. It was not a fuse or any kind of switch. Could they be wrong?
  • Options
    cobcob Member Posts: 210
    There is a solinoid that allows you to shift out of part when the gas pedel is pressed. Usually you just have to replace that part to fix the problem of a shifter being stuck in park.
  • Options
    twin06sstwin06ss Member Posts: 3
    I hope im not replying back to you too late b/c i dont want your 500 dallors to go to waste! I have an 06 Impala SS that i have modified to race, so you can imagine the extrem wear and tear i have put on my car which caused me to have to replace just about every part on the car! the ans to ur question is yes they are (the dealership) extremly wrong and they over price every thing! if you have not fixed the problem yet email me at liltwin32@yahoo.com and in the subject put impala problem and i can tell you how to fix the problem by ur self for less then $10