Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1963-1964 Cadillacs

Comments

• parmparm Member Posts: 724
    isell -

Actually, its been closer to 10 years that I've lusted over getting a collector car. But, "life" happens - which has delayed me from doing anything.

The '63 Coupe Deville I was literally locked & loaded to buy a few weeks ago got sold out from underneath me (see first message of this 1963-64 Cadillac thread).

The seller of the '63 Fleetwood I've mentioned isn't in a big hurry to do anything which is perfectly fine with me for now (you'll read why in a moment). It's not listed for sale or anything.

You won't believe this, but as of a week or so, my wife and I are actually considering buying a house (need more room, bathrooms, etc.). As a matter of fact, we looked at a house this afternoon that's only a mile from where I live now. The good news is, this place has a nice 4-car garage. YEAH!! The bad news is with the down payment and things we'll probably want to do (decorating, furnishings, etc.), I may lose the money I had set aside for my Cadillac. :cry: In short, even if we get a house, I've not ruled out the Cadillac yet (though my wife may have a different take on that!) in that there may be a way I can do both. As my father used to say, "we shall see what we shall see".
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You're going to give up buying an old car for a lousy HOUSE? What's next? Food for the kids instead of a bumper re-chrome? Where will it END??? :cry:
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Just before she spends your car $, buy a real 63 Fleetwood back seat that you like and it can be your Gathering room couch with only a little modification. :)
    Yeah, I've seen that one for a while now. It got put on the back burner while I pursued the blue '63 Coupe Deville in NY state. Not crazy about white and it's in Washington state - Cuba would be closer! :P But, I might want to give this one another "think". I should find out how it's optioned.

Thanks for the heads up. Keep'em coming.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,676
    I think I saw this one: http://americandreamcars.com/1963caddy4drht101408.htm at the Fall Carlisle swap meet last year. If it's in York, that's very close. As I recall, the car was filthy, like it hadn't been washed in at least 5 years or more.

I seem to recall that it had some rust on it, but it wasn't in a serious spot like the base of a roof pillar, rocker panel, quarter panel, etc. MIght've been in the doors, or front fender. I remember the guy also had a 1982 or 1983 Olds Delta 88 4-door that he only wanted $1500 for that looked to be in excellent shape, although it needed a bath too. It was a bit of a stripper model, with crank windows like that Cadillac.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    You're going to give up buying an old car for a lousy HOUSE? What's next? Food for the kids instead of a bumper re-chrome? Where will it END???

Parm -

I'd like to remind you of the wise old saying:

"You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house"....

Just a thought you might share with your wife.... :blush:
    Haaaaaa! That's excellent! I'll be sure to pass that along to the wife. Knowing her, she'll probably say something like, "Oh yeah? Well, just remember, you don't sleep WITH your car pal!" :P
    Aside from the threat of utter financial ruin, a woman's choice of weapons against a classic car are not as plentiful as she might think. However, the one weapon in her arsenal is formidable and appeals to reason. Can't you use the "you get this, I get that" trick? Doesn't she want a Harley or a Wii or a cruise or something?
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Well you COULD drive your house. They just called it an Excursion.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I've seen apartments in Manhattan smaller than a '64 Cadillac.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I remember those cars! I think you were telling me that Olds would make a good replacement beater for my Park Ave.
    Heck, my girlfriend has no problem with me buying cars. When I bought my new Cadillac DTS she simply said, "As long as it makes you happy..."
    If I really needed a car, I would've been tempted to buy that '83 Delta 88 myself! It was a stripper car for a Delta, with crank windows and the 3-speed, rather than 4-speed automatic, but somehow that appealed to me. Less to break, I guess.

I wish I could remember what, exactly, was wrong with that '63 Caddy, though. I mainly remember it being really filthy, but I do recall either Grbeck or you noticing something else that was wrong with it. Heck, who knows? Maybe we'll see it at Carlisle again this spring and it'll refresh my memory.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    If I recall, there was some rust on the side away from the aisle. I can't remember his asking price, but the Carlisle environment tends to cause sellers to think any old heap is worth a fortune. Carlisle is where one finds $3,000+ 1975 Gremlins...

I wouldn't be surprised if that Cadillac is back at Carlisle this year. It will be interesting to see if the current economic situtation has brought any reality to asking prices.
    When you get serious about this one, let me know & I might offer to scope it out for you. It is only 30 miles from me.

Euphonium
    Heck, if the economy has brought the Carlisle prices down to reality, I'll be there next season with my checkbook. I'll KNOW the economy has crashed when I see realistic prices at Barrett-Jackson.
    If we're talking about the black 4-dr with the white top, I wouldn't be interested in one in that rough of shape. Plus, it's a Series 62 and I'm looking for something in the Deville family - or a Fleetwood. But, I very much appreciate the offer. Thanks.
    Thank you to our genial host for the links to these Cadillacs. Surprisingly, there were one or two (must be fairly new listings) I hadn't seen before that look pretty decent. BTW, the green '64 Couple Deville was actually the topic of a previous discussion (perhaps in another thread?) in that, it's the one that I talked to the original seller about nearly two years ago and got shot down - only for it to show up at Barrett-Jackson earlier this month. It sold for around $13,000 - about what I offered way back then.
    Re: The White Cad in WA, which is further from you than Cuba.
    Ut oh! Yesterday, we signed the agreement papers for a new house. Somebody please tell me, is this a good thing or bad? :):cry: :P
    One never knows....it could start out good, then get bad...or start out bad, then get good....it's better not to project into a future that hasn't even happened yet.

As with cars, you work with what's in front of you (presuming one is seeing clearly) and yer takes yer chances. :P
    Wife person got what she wants & that is the Genesis of a Good Thing. Why?
    It staves off tension resulting in a divorce. "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

Several friends have endured divorce and came out financially distraught taking them until they were over 72 working to make up for the lost community property.

Real Estate will appreciate, assuming you bought it right and are there for the long haul.

Thus, you really did make the correct business decision. Congratulations! :):)
    Divorce takes a financial toll? Amen to that! I've been through one (and my last) divorce. Gee, a new house for her or a collector Cadilac for me???? I think I made the "politically correct" decision. But, don't count me out yet. I still have "this" house to sell and I'll price it right, believe me. Perhaps the proceeds from the sale of this house can be put to "good" use???? LOL!
    "Why is a divorce so expensive?" Because it is worth it!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    ,,,and because lawyers make doctors and dentists look cheap!
    That one isn't quite my cup of tea. I'm looking for something that's pretty much bone stock. But, thanks for the "heads up". Keep'em coming!!!
    http://www.hemmings.com/users/158490/ride/1997.html

I'm not making a play for this one and I don't even know if it's for sale, but I think it's an interesting look. The owner put on some modified rear fender skirts in order show off the Torque Thrusts. I normally look the other way when I see a Cadillac that's been "tarted up", but this one doesn't offend me - probably because the deviation from stock is pretty subtle. Actually, I think it's kind of cool.

A bone stock '64 Deville convertible in similar condition is probably worth around $20,000 (anyone with a different opinion?). What's this one worth? The speakers under the front dash are disturbing to me. Hopefully, nothing was cut to make that happen.

Let the debate begin . . . . . . .
    Normally I'm not crazy about customized cars, but I do like that one. I kinda like those modified fender skirts. Don't really care for the radio in the glovebox, but that probably kept him from butchering the dash.

Those front speakers might not have done too much damage, depending on how they're attached to the dash above. Looks like the only real damage was to the glovebox liner. I dunno how hard it would be to find a replacement these days.
    I'd say that since the color is not a good one, and that it's been customized somewhat, that in today's market about $17.5K seems right.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    From a first impression I don't care for it. I don't love the color, and I think customizing a luxury car can be very dangerous. Although for that one I guess it would be easy to make it original again.
    Bile Green is not my favorite color.

Metallic Dark Red with a White top and Mexican hat wheel covers would help. The wheels look very out of place.

The modified skirts do look good.
    Cadillac converts of that era look best in gold and silver metallics IMO. I don't think the ragtop looks good in black. White is neutral, red is not so good--looks like a fire engine. A light blue or green metallic is okay. These are "glittery" cars---they should glitter all over.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    My opinion for what it's worth.

I wouldn't buy that for 5000.00!
    Cadillac converts of that era look best in gold and silver metallics IMO. I don't think the ragtop looks good in black. White is neutral, red is not so good--looks like a fire engine. A light blue or green metallic is okay. These are "glittery" cars---they should glitter all over.

I think my favorite color would be one of those light, silvery greens or blues. I actually don't like silver on those older cars, because I think that it clashes kinda funny with the chrome, and just doesn't look right. Plus, IMO at least, they really didn't do silver very well in those days..it seemed kinda weak and shallow in those days, like a Coors beer can.

As for red, I don't think a 60's Caddy would look good in just a normal, non-metallic red. It worked on cars like my '57 DeSoto or '85 Silverado, because those two are two-toned...white roof and lower body accent. I guess a white convertible top might help dilute some of that red on a Caddy, but it's still too much. And two-toning was out by the 60's, so there wasn't that option to help tone it down. I think a deeper metallic red or burgundy/wine color would be nice, though.
    Yes I see your point about silver. And burgundy, while an "old-fashioned" color, might look okay. But dark colors make the car look massive, and kind of hides those sharp edges (which are attractive).
    Ooh, I just thought of another color that might look nice. Midnight blue, either metallic or non-metallic. It's an expensive-looking color that would look good on a Cadillac, and I think would look great with a white interior and white top.

And I know this is gonna turn your stomach, Shifty, but I think one of those pale purplish/lilac colors, like that "Evening Orchid", or whatever, would look nice on a Caddy! :P
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    I think there was a problem making silver metallic paint back then, or it ages poorly. Every vintage silver metallic I have seen appears to be uneven and somewhat blotchy.

If I had my choice, I'd pick one in a blue like the pic I posted, with a white top and blue or maybe white interior.
    GM used Acrylic Lacquer in those days and all of the metallic colors would quickly dull. I think white or black were the best colors in those days.

Want to hear a sad story?

When I was a kid, the people down the street had a beautiful Moss Green 1962 Coupe De Ville. When it was about six years old, the woman who owned it decided she liked light blue and they had Earl Scheib paint it for 49.95 or whatever they charged at that time. It had a green interior and the results were even worse than any of you can imagine. The car was ruined!
    I think pinstriping is about as far as you want to go on these cars. Anything else, you're probably better off messing with a Chevy or Pontiac.
    Sad - makes me want to puke. Maybe she was just a flower girl ahead of her time and the advent of psychedelics?
    http://www.antiquecar.com/index.php?a=2&b=16804

Here's a 1964 Oldsmobile 98 coupe. Looks to be in nice condition. The seller sent me a few additional photos (which I'd post here if I knew how) to include a full view of the car that provides a much better perspective. It's refreshing to find a car that's within a reasonable drive from my house. The seller is asking $10,000 which seems like "all the money" to me. What do you all think?
    Looks nice at a quick glance, but the carpets look kinda worn/dirty. Also, it's hard to tell from those pics, but the front and rear bumpers look like they might need to be re-chromed, and the rear looks like it might have been hit and pushed in just a bit.

I'd guess more like $6-7K?
    I'm not seein' show quality in those photos.

Seems like a lot of money for a car nobody cares about. The 98 is not much on anybody's radar in the collector car world.

I agree, about $6,000 is all the money here.
    I would pass on that Olds.

Those weren't the best cars. They had that Roto- Hydramatic transmission. they had sorely inadequate brakes and front ends that would eat ball joints and control arm bushings. They handled horribly and personally, I think they don't look very good.

Our host doubled the number I was thinking it was worth.
    Hardtop: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Seville-1960-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-SEVILLE-M- USEUM-QUALITY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a3Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q- Q_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem320345421560QQitemZ320345421560QQptZUSQ5fCar- sQ5fTrucks

Convertible: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-DTS-Convertible-EXCELLENT-CONDIT- ION-COLLECTORS-CONVERTIBLE-ANTIQUE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a3Q7- c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1308QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem120386332036QQitemZ1203- 86332036QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

I always considered the 1960 Cadillacs as big, bulbous tanks still clinging to the wretched excess of the '59. But, these two particular models have caught my eye - particularly the Eldorado Seville hardtop coupe. I really like the profile of the rear roof line and the resulting large open air space in the cabin when all the windows are down. And, naturally, I like the convertible too. 1960 is definitely a year when the 2-door model looks more svelte (is that even possible for a ’60 Cadillac?) than its 4-door sister

Are the "Buy It Now" prices they're asking for these two cars market correct?
    60 Seville Hardtop -- they are worth decent money but at his asking price the car would literally have to be a flawless #1 automobile---that is, just like it was when it rolled out of the factory----anything less, and $45,000 should be more than enough for it.

'60 Deville convert -- price is way too high. I think on close inspection one would see that this is not a pristine car at all. I think it's a tarted up high #3/ low #2 with blemishes. No shots underneath---not a good sign.

Both these cars need eyeballs on them before an accurate price could be assessed. The hardtop looks the nicer.