Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza vs Lexus RX 350

2»

Comments

• graberggraberg Member Posts: 8
    My husband and I just went through this analysis. We ended up getting the 09 Lexus RX-350 because with the current great incentive pricing from Lexus to the dealer, the cost out the door is more than comparable to the Venza and the added features make it a better car in our view. In addition, even though it's a Toyota, it's still a first year model for the Venza and I always hesitate buying a first year model.
  • lal_cltlal_clt Member Posts: 29
    I thought about getting an RX-350 because the prices with the discounts are now comparable to the discounted Venza. But the lower gas mileage and the fact that it uses premium gas (around here that's .25 more per gallon) makes me look at the cost of owning over the long term. My heart wants a Lexus but my head says the Venza is more practical. The war is on!
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    I've owned an RX350 for nearly three years and I've used regular (87 oct) gas for most of that with little difference in performance or mpg. The true difference in the cost of ownership is that the '09 RX350 will probably depreciate faster (in real dollars) than the Venza and Lexus service typically costs more than Toyota service. Fuel cost difference between the two will be minimal, IMO.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I hope that '09 Lexus RX350 wasn't the F/awd model.

The 2010 RX350 and the new Venza have a STELLAR F/awd system in comparison. Not nearly in the class of the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system but progress none the less.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I thought about it as well (Venza vs. the 2009 RX350). Several things that swayed in the Venza's favor were:

- Availability of features such as the Smart Key and a backup camera without Navigation.
    - The Venza is a brand new design that will look "new" for at least another couple of years until the mid-model refresh. The 2009 RX looks the same as the 2004 RX that was launched almost 6 years ago.
    - On the other hand, I prefer a "lower profile" brand like a Toyota over a luxury brand, like Lexus.
    - The discounts on the 2009 RX in my area (single distributor, single dealer) are nowhere near as good as those in other areas.
  • lal_cltlal_clt Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for your reply. Those are good reasons to consider the Venza over the RX350. Have you driven the Venza without the Nav system and tried to use the backup camera? Just curious how much you can see. I have a great portable GPS and don't need a nav system but I like the backup camera.
    If you're considering F/awd then other than price it's really the 2010 RX350 you should be comparing to the Venza. The 2010 RX350 has the same NEW F/awd system as the Venza. But the Venza WINS with the more fuel efficient I4.
  • graberggraberg Member Posts: 8
    No, we got the fwd version - no need for awd here. Picked it up Friday and so far very pleased.
    Have you driven the Venza without the Nav system and tried to use the backup camera?

Yes I have -- my Venza has the optional JBL system, but no navigation. The backup camera is definitely usable for what it's intended for: as an aid in addition to everything else you're supposed to do when reversing (i.e. turning your head).

I also had an Echomaster system installed in the rear bumper; I had them in my 4Runner (with no camera).
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Been driving my '07 RX350 for two-and-a-half years, and with the exception of one or two fill-ups with premium unleaded, I've always used regular unleaded with no problems at all. And also
    my car seems to get even better as far as mpg the longer I've driven it.
    I average about 260 miles a week on my RX, usually just back and forth to work, and usually go eight or nine days(sometimes ten days!) before filling up, and that's with still a quarter of a tank of gas left, or between 35 and 50 miles left to empty.

I'm definitely doing better mgp-wise than with my prevous car which was a 2002 Nissan Maxima.
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    My wife's 2006 RX330 has 19,000 miles & I paid $41k new. It has 13 more months of new warranty too! Lexus will only allow $20.5 on trade in. Then they will sell it for $30k-- pigs that they are! So much for luxury cars holding their value. I got a Toyota dealer to allow $26.6 TOWARDS a 2009 Venza, loaded and I am not worried it is a first year car, etc. If something goes wrong I'm sure Toyota will make good.
  • soonercatsoonercat Member Posts: 48
    I agree! I had a nice 2007 ES 350 with NAV (42k new). Perfect with 18k miles. Dealer offered 23 with full MSRP for the Lexus RX350!. sold privately for $27,650 and bought Venza for $27,500!!! In 6 months the RX will be thousands off.
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    Well we must received the 1009 Venza for my wife. We ordered it on 1/21/09 and took until 3/19 to obtain. A power passenger seat was a MUST. I sent a letter to the director of the Georgetown, Kentucky manufacturing plant just to ask a simple question WHY it took 2 months to build this car in this awful economy. I also told him it was my SECOND NEW Toyota purchase in less than a year. Either he fired his secretary or he is a deaf mute, so he sends my letter to Toyota HQ in California. They, in turn, send me a letter saying that they tried very hard to contact me (BS) I am retired and gave them a home phone number, a cell phone number, an email address and home address. In disgust I sent the letter back to California and told them their letter was just BS. So much for customer relations. Anyway, the Venza is great, my wife loves it and we immediately put on an E&G mesh chrome grille which totally improves the appearance.
    I'm curious -- what were you expecting Toyota to do in response to your letter? And how would being a "deaf mute" impact the way he read your letter?

Other than a profuse apology on the delay (which actually seems pretty typical timeline for ordering a vehicle), I can't think of anything else they could have done. Did you think that they'd stop the assembly line, build your vehicle on the spot, and ship it to you via a private cargo jet? ;)

Congratulations on the Venza, but I think your complaint is a bit ridiculous.
  • lbertolberto Member Posts: 2
    I too, ordered my Venza in January and just received it last week. The dealer was good enough to provide me with a loaner for the past month.
    I ordered the I4, with premium package. It was worth the wait. The vehicle handles great. The I4 has plenty of power for my driving needs.
    So far I love the car.
    Good job Toyota!!!
    I briefly looked at the 2010 RX prior to deciding on the Venza. Yesterday, at our local auto show, was the first time I sat in one without navigation. Two things I didn't like:

1. If you pass on navigation, you're stuck with a non-graphical display in the large space where you'd normally find a color LCD.

2. Without navigation, the space on the console where the Nav controller would be, there is a small plastic tray. The quality of the plastic is fine, but it looks like it's main purpose is to remind you that you didn't spring for the Nav.

Also, going back to the common comment about the Venza's 20" wheels, the standard 18" on the RX just looks undersized, for some reason. It's weird because the 18" looked fine on the previous generation.
  • houmihoumi Member Posts: 21
    I test drove the highlander (very nice ride), and I sat inside of Venza, but did not like the latter (did not even test drive it), reasoning was that I have had a Camry since 2001, and Venza seemed like a Camry Wagon to me, but a bit higher from the ground and much nicer than Camry and better cargo space. I wanted something higher (SUV like), so it was mostly going toward Highlander.

But since I had a RX 300 (2001) before, I also went to Lexus and test drove the 2010 model, and liked it more than the Highlander, so ended up getting the RX.

Price wise, figured Lexus is 5-6k more than comparable Highlander, but figured down the line it won't matter, and I like the look of Lexus better than Highlander (but really they're identical cars -- though Highlander Cargo is bigger and 3rd row seats I did not care for).

But really all three are great cars... it's a matter of taste.
  • halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    I own a Venza with the 2.7 L - 4 cylinder engine. Don't expect to go 0-60 in 6.7 seconds on an upward inclined freeway onramp with 5 people plus luggage on board. The engine tends to be noisy when pushed and has that characteristic 4-cyl "sewing machine" sound. I understand it has a timing chain and that contributes to the noisy engine sound. Once the engine gets to 4000 rpm, it is lively and accelerates well. The 6-speed transmission works well with the engine. I'm averaging about 27 mpg combined street and highway driving. I'm happy with the 4-banger, but wish it was quieter.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I own a 2001 Rx and may get the 2010. Do you like the 2010 much better? What do you notice as the biggest changes aside from the redesigned interior/exterior? I use 87 octane gas in my 2001-what do you use in the 2010?
    I also own an "01 AWD RX300 and have been puzzling over where to go next.

Just ran across the announcement of the 2010 Cadillac SRX. A 3.0L DFI V6 that is the HP/torque equal of the RXes 3.5L and a F/awd system (Saab XWD) that appears to be a duplicate of the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system.

Other than wishing it wasn't a GM product what more can one ask..??
    wwest,
    I've seen lots of comments on these forums about folks concerned with buying a Venza in its first year (a concern I don't share). Would you really consider buying a Cadillac SRX in its first year? The old SRX was never very reliable, so I'm not sure how that will improve with GM struggling just to survive these days. DFI or not, I'd wait a few years to see how GM shakes out.
    it's just the whole package that is interesting to me... I have not filled up yet, but plan to use premium. Also I don't have the RX 2001 anymore... since it belongs to my ex-wife.
    I don't think you can't go wrong with Venza or Highlander or any Toyota product... same goes to Lexus. As far as reliability, they're great, rating/performance is a different subject and particular to different subjects.

I was checking my consumer report online, and I did not see any reviews yet for Venza (wonder why they're taking so long to do it...)

RX 350 (2010) wise, I am really happy to have made the choice... it drives really well, and quiet, acceleration is pretty good too (it's not a sports car but it's good), I am sure Acura MDX or BMW X5 or Audi Q5/Q7 might do better, but overall it's a nice package...
  • mickey34mickey34 Member Posts: 19
    Hi houmi" I have now owned the new RX 350 since March 26 09. I waited three weeks from the time the my dealer located this Rx on it's way from Japan. The reason I waited for it as it was the only one arriving with AWD and the three major packages Comfort Package, 12 Speaker premium audio with the Luxury Package andThe Navigation System package and the color I wanted Tungsten Pearl with Light Grey Interior and Crome 19" wheels. Al I can say after a little a month and appx 1400 miles is that I can't find anything I don't like with this Rx. I owned a 2000 RX a 2002 Rx and my last was a 2005 Limited Edition.This is the Huge Improvement. Great Power Great Handling Smooth and very Quiet Ride. MIKE
    Other than body styling I don't see much innovativeness in the Venza, whereas the obvious innovativeness of the new 2010 SRX clearly warrants a looksee, even for a GM product.

Downsize the new I4 w/DFI, add a CVT, and the equivalent of the SH-AWD in a new RX and I'll be attentive.

RX225...??

Ford should be so innovative. Ford should hybridize the CX-7 and send the Escape, Mariner, and Tribute to the scrap heap.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Which octane gas do you use?
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Received my CR magazine yesterday. They tested a 6cyl AWD model. It appears they liked it, with reservations. "ride and handling, nothing special" "Venza's ride not up to usual Toyota standards" "interior looks classy but, noted many misaligned panels and some mismatched graining". The Highs include acceleration, powertrain refinement, access, rear seat and cabin storage. The Lows are steering feel, ride, rear visibality and AWD. Although it scored only 1 point lower than the Murano (#1), I got the feeling they were looking very hard to find fault with the Venza. Toyota seems to have fallen out of CR's good books lately. They are turning into another C&D, unless a vehicle drives in a sporty way CR does not like them (what happened to the unbiased evaluations?). The Venza is a good vehicle, not a great one, according CR.
    Thanks, I just check CR online and I see they updated Venza, you're right, 1 point lower than Murano. I still don't see the RX 350 2010 online in the SUV chart (they list the 2009 model)...
  • goingunsgoinguns Member Posts: 4
    yeah, tried the V4.. and it wasnt fun.. we live in the bay area so getting on ramps is noticeably a drag. we got the V6
  • goingunsgoinguns Member Posts: 4
    yeah, the backup cam without the NAV could have been better but it does the job.

the issue is when its bright sun outside and its gets harder to look at the reverse camera.. but again, you can make it work
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    The Venza is scheduled to hit the showroom in the fall

It is already in the showroom here
  • cmlp1cmlp1 Member Posts: 5
    Really it makes complete sense to compare these two cars, they are relatively the same size, and have the same engine and transmission (if you're looking at V6 AWD Venza). I'm not 100% sure about the AWD systems, but I'd bet they are very similar. It comes down to price...you can get a nicely optioned Venza for maybe around 34k and the 2010 Lexus RX is about 10k more. Part of that price difference is brand mark-up but having tested both car I know where that extra money was spent. The interior! The fit and finish in the Lexus is suburb. In the Venza, it is just not as nice or precise. The panels in the Toyota are not bad, but up close they are cheap in comparison to the Lexus. The wood is not real, it is just "wood-like". The leather in the Lexus probably cost $1k-2k more; it certainly feels way more luxurious. Don't rely on pictures...go sit in both vehicles and I guarantee you'll see and feel a noticable differnece. Then the question becomes how much is that "L" on the hood and this high quality interior worth to you? 10k is a lot of cash. I ended up going with the Venza b/c while I can appreciate the quality difference, it wasn't worth that much to me. BTW, I paid 31k for a V6 AWD Venza with a sticker of 36.5k. It has everything except nav and rearseat tv. For those who have the extra cash, go with the Lexus.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I agree with everything you say about these two cars. But the Lexus suckered me in with that really nice interior.
    That's one of the reasons I purchased my '07 RX back in August of 2006. You also get memory seats in the Lexus. I do love memory seats, and also, I love the rain-sensing wipers. From my understanding you can't get that in either the Venza or the Highlander (the memory seats, not sure about rain-sensing wipers), even the top-of-the-line models.

Also, the first class treatment that I have gotten with Lexus (I had several Nissans before this), is outstanding.
    I test drove both the Venza and the ’10 RX350 extensively before deciding on the Venza. You are dead on with the interior comparison; the RX is definitely a notch or two better than the Venza in terms of materials and fit & finish. Interior styling and ease of use, in my opinion, is better in the Venza. You are correct that the Venza does not come with memory seats or the rain-sensing wipers, both of which I had in my ’07 RX350. But I really don’t miss either of them as I’m the only driver of the Venza and manually turning on the wipers is no big deal for me. The Venza beats the new RX in terms of exterior styling and overall performance. It’s a bit quicker than the RX and handles better, though that’s somewhat subjective on my part; I’d like to see a real comparison test between the two vehicles to get some real data about this. Ultimately I bought the Venza over the RX for two reasons: (1) It cost nearly $10K less (Lexus dealers were not negotiating much on new RXs this past April), and (2) The Venza is unique – you don’t see one every day, while there seems to be a Lexus RX on every corner and, to most eyes, the new RX looks just like the older one. I think I just got tired of seeing “my” vehicle everywhere I went. I never received any compliments on the RX, but I get positive comments about the Venza all the time. I’m amazed there are so many people who have never heard about the Venza, and they’ll just walk up to me to ask about it. I know, it’s a bit shallow, but we all like a little attention now and then. ;)
    Both the Venza and 2010 RX350 have the new F/awd system IMO a very significant improvement over the mostly non-functional (except for TRAC) system. I have an '01 F/awd RX300 and just as soon as the Venza I4 is adapted to DFI I will be purchasing one.

Unless something better turns up, say an RX225h using the new I4 w/DFI.
  • denelo1denelo1 Member Posts: 1
    Will the Lexus RX 350 fuel tank fit on the Toyota Venza?
    What..?

Why..?
This discussion has been closed.