Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Soul

Comments

• conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    You say companies don't pay any attention to their customers, now's your chance to get in your two cents worth on the Soul. They want your input and it will be passed onto the product manager. Check it out at:

http://kia-buzz.com/?p=4208
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    I bought a Soul Plus automatic 3 weeks ago. I'm very happy so far. The best features are the high seating position, excellent visibility, peppy engine, responsive transmission, precise steering and all the interior details. I haven't checked the gas mileage yet. I would improve on the contrast on the radio display. The driver's seat should go back a bit more. The ride is excellent with the 16 inch wheels.
    I like this car as it is. However, if the factory would install the larger, 2.4 liter engine and a 6-speed automatic trans. with paddle shifters, the Soul could become an icon and take its place alongside the Mini Cooper S, the Mazdaspeed 3, and the Volkswagen GTI. It has enormous potential, with its small footprint accompanied by lots of room inside (for a car only 161 inches long). I've driven all the Civics and the small Scions, the small Mazdas, and none of them made an impression on me. Then I drove a Soul and bought one the next week. Bear in mind, I didn't need another car - we had three for the two of us - but I got the Soul only because I enjoyed driving it more than the others: Tacoma, Accord, and VW GTI.
    thats good extech2, but you need to post it at KIA Buzz on the link I provided in my posting, so the info can be passed onto their product manager. I don't work for KIA I'm just provided the link so you can pass on your comments.
  • tabbyjtabbyj Member Posts: 6
    This is something that I was interested in also, especially after this past winter! Until someone has a chance to respond you can look on youtube for a couple videos. Just type in Kia Soul in snow. From what I could tell, it seems like it did a fairly decent job in snow.
  • rosefrosef Member Posts: 3
    Kia U.S. Coverage
    2010 Kia Soul Recognized on 'Coolest New Cars Under $18,000' List by Kelley Blue Book's Kbb.com
    [Trading Markets (CA) (Online), 6/23/2009]
    Kia Motors America (KMA) today announced the all-new 2010 Soul urban passenger vehicle was named to the 2009 Top 10 Coolest New Cars Under $18,000 list by Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com, the leading provider of new car and used car information. The Soul joined Kia Motors' ever-expanding lineup in March and was lauded for being cool, affordable ride with a growing emphasis on personality, versatility and technology. "Soul's personality really has made an impact with consumers and the media, who are realizing you don't have to spend a lot of money to make a statement," said Michael Sprague, vice president of marketing, KMA. "We are pleased that Soul is being recognized for its playfulness and versatility but also that it is appreciated for its economical attributes that affect real world purchase decisions."…Soul stands out from the crowd with modern, unique styling aimed toward the young and young-at-heart and offers a unique combination of style, value and personalization options. An available Audio Upgrade Package includes speaker lights that can pulse to the beat of the music or add mood lighting to the interior cabin, enhancing the overall personal lounge feeling. The Soul+ offers funky black cloth seats with "glowing" Soul logo inserts while the Soul! trim comes with a distinctive sand-black interior with houndstooth-patterned inserts, and the Soul sport presents a bold red-black interior trim with red-trimmed cloth seats and metal-finish interior accents.
    2010 Kia Soul
    [The Tribune (TX) (Online), 6/22/2009]
    By Wilson Calvert
    What it is: If you’ve watched much TV in the last month or two, then you’ve probably seen Kia’s ad campaign to help launch the brand new Kia Soul. It features hamsters running in hamster wheels on roads all across a city when a shiny red Kia Soul pulls up playing some loud hip-hop music. The tag line in the commercial is “A new way to roll,” and Kia has definitely aimed a car at the youth market. With the great success of Scion’s xB (the one that looks like a toaster), boxy is definitely in vogue…If you feel the need to find “a new way to roll” then the Kia Soul should definitely be on your test drive list. Kia also provides a 10-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty which proves Kia is going to back up their product. Compared to its competitors, the Soul offers the best all-around package when factoring in fun-factor, usefulness and price. The Soul should prove accessible to all demographics just as the Scion xB has (Who will be driving the next xB that you see, a backwards-hat teenager or his grandmother?) and is already proving to be an early hit for Kia.

Kia Soul 4U Retro review: Little box full of big surprises
    [Kia World (Blog) (Online), 6/23/2009]
    I’ve had my Kia Soul for over a month now and I thought I’d share my experiences with the prospective/future Soul buyers in hopes of answering most of the questions and easing some of the doubts they might have…Kia Soul was exactly what I was hoping to see here. Yes, finally we got a great, modern, funky looking car on our hands. And it was available now, not in some distant future. My Mazda3 hatch needed a new owner and my Plymouth Voyager was long ready to go, so to the nearest Kia dealer I went, hoping to fall in love with the Soul as soon as I meet it in person. And love at first sight it was! I honestly thought the car looked awesome in real life. And so much bigger than what I expected. Short test drive followed and the second one a few days later, once my excitement cooled off. I always do this. Just in case. I was sold. I fell in love with a Dune/Vanilla color and two-tone charcoal/cream interior with hounds tooth accents. I loved everything about it, but if I had to describe it with just one word, I would have to exclaim that finally I was buying a car that was DIFFERENT!...
    March, 2009. Tacoma, Washington. The first all new Kia Soul barely debut at Car Pros Kia of Tacoma before the crossover-vehicle soared off of the lot. Car Pros, which had interested clients on a waiting list since the vehicle’s announcement, quickly sold the first Soul in the nation.
    Kia Motors America announced the North American debut of the Soul at the 2008 Los Angeles Auto Show. The Soul, a once concept vehicle, was projected to arrive as early as 2010. To the publics’ pleasure, it debuted as a 2009 model. Following the addition of the midsize SUV, the Borrego, to the Kia line-up, the Soul offers even more options to savvy consumers.
    While other dealer’s are struggling, Car Pros Kia continues to flourish primarily with the sales and service of new and certified pre-owned imports. The family owned and involved dealer continues to offers low-cost sales and service without sacrificing customer care. While Car Pros remains committed to ongoing customer satisfaction, savvy buyers are naturally receptiveness to the Kia brand. Consumers lean towards Kia as their import favorite as Kia offers chic new designs, fuel efficiency, minimal initial investment and low ongoing cost of ownership. For additional information about Car Pros Kia of Tacoma visit http://www.kiatacoma.carpros.com/
    The Soul playfully conforms to the edgy styling of the modern Kia, while offering even more options for those looking to personalize their vehicle and ownership experience. There are more external and internal styling and package options than any Kia ever offered before. “The Soul is for those who love individuality but don’t like to be categorized by finding the next best thing,” said Michael Sprague, vice president of marketing, KMA. The Soul is attracting the adventurer at heart, especially those who have a good handle on their pocket books and want custom styling and a low cost of ownership at the same time.
    ###
  • cars1977cars1977 Member Posts: 2
    Bought mine two weeks ago. This is the second car I have ever owned and I"m sooo happy with it. I would like to make one complaint, but please know I wouldn't want to get my money back. I love this car.

With the base model. there is no remote entry-I have to use the key. Unfortunately, there is only one keyhole in the entire car, so I always have to go back to the driver's door if I want to lock the car. ugh. Have a toddler that requires loading and unloading, don't like this.

EVERYTHING else is golden. Love my Kia!
    2011 prices and info is now posted on the KIA US regular website

http://www.kia.com/#/soul/explore/360-views-and-colors-exterior/
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    I can't believe there is no one talking about this car when it is selling so well!! I suppose that can be seen as a good thing since it means there aren't a bunch of angry owners looking to vent about problems....
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    That's because everyone is over at KiaSoulForums or SoulHamster talking about their cars.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited November 2010
    A reporter is interested in talking with a recent and first-time owner of a Kia. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than noon on November 10, 2010, and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

surprised this has not been added to the forum, as this info has now been available since the NY auto show back in late April when the new facelifted model was announced.
    So if you are still not aware of it here's the details, the major changes are all new 6 speed transmissions and different engines.

This will give you full current details and lots of photographs, full specs and prices have yet to be announced. This is all US info only.

http://www.kiamedia.com/secure/soul2012.html
  • joeyrabjoeyrab Member Posts: 65
    In "99" they weren't just fighting an image problem, they were fighting a quality problem. Hyundai/Kia has come a long way no doubt about it, but a they are no Toyota or Honda that's for sure. 2011 Consumer Guide still puts Toyota as the most reliable auto out there. Honda does well...even Subaru is doing better. Hyundai/Kia is still middle of the road, ALTHOUGH, their vehicle look great, have lots of options, and cost a few pennies less.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2011
    still means barf-bag boring. Period. I could care less if they toasted your toast in the morning for you, too. They're appliances, I'm so glad I bought my '99 Kia Sephia and my '01 Sportage 4X4.

Kia builds automobiles. Toyota builds appliances. Kia drivers care about how their cars look and about how they perform. Toyota buyers just care about their car's resale value. Get a solid grip and become a car nut like me. Not a car buyer.

That's the difference. There's Kia Sephia clubs all over South Korea. If I owned a Toyota Corolla I'd just join a quilting club and sit around and talk about the grass popping up and Aunt Tilda's dress needing hemming. Boring.

Appliances for the masses. At Toyota we do them for a living.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• importkiaimportkia Member Posts: 2
    I am a US citizen living in Canada. I bought a 2010 Kia Soul from a dealer new about one year ago while living in Canada. I am now moving, next week or so, back to the US and am struggling to make sure I can drive the car into Canada and "import" it to stay with me in my new residence in the US.
    Kia provided a letter stating the car complies with all US EPA standards, but will not provide a letter of conformance or compliance in regards to US safety standards. Nobody can seem to tell me what is non-conforming or what modifications would be required (if any) to make it conform.
    check this out, there is various links, US customs needs to inform you of these regulations.

http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm
  • ben70ben70 Member Posts: 16
    We're senior citizens; we loved the soul and were ready to buy. What stopped us? The funky colors available. How about white? White is the only color we would own here in Phoenix. The funky red trim on the Soul+ - ech! What about a camel interior? What about color combinations that appeal to older drivers who have the money to buy. Targeting a youth audience may have worked years ago but not in this economy. Kia needs to target a broader audience.
    just released today (June 29th)

Soul - base, + (plus), ! (exclaim)
    Exterior:

Multi-reflector headlamps (base, +)
    Projection headlamps w/ LED daytime running lights (!)
    LED tail lamps (!)
    Revised 18" alloy wheels
    Tire width increased from 225/45R18 to 235/45R18
    Revised 16" alloy wheels
    Revised 15" wheel covers
    Revised front fog lights (+ w/ power sunroof w/ fog lights, !)
    Rear camera display (+ w/ Audio Upgrade Package; standard on !)
    Side mirrors w/ turn signal indicators (+, !)
    Revised hood, front and rear fascias
    Added Moss to list of exterior colors

Interior:

Revised center stack and gear shift design
    UVO system w/ HD Radio UVO in-car hands-free entertainment and communication system package (+ w/ Audio Upgrade Package; standard on !)
    Available Navigation system with SiruisXM Traffic™ (! w/ Premium Package)
    Available Infinity Audio System (+ w/ Audio Upgrade Package; standard on !)
    Telescoping steering wheel
    Auto on/off headlamps (+ w/ Audio Upgrade Package; standard on !)
    Two-stage heated front seats (vs. previous one-stage) (! w/ Premium Package)
    Illuminated sun visor vanity mirrors (+)
    Illuminated glove box
    Revised speaker lamp illumination (+ w/ Audio Upgrade Package; standard on !)
    Tire mobility kit
    Revised interior cloth (+)

Mechanical:

1.6-liter four-cylinder GDI engine (base)
    2.0-liter four-cylinder MPI engine (+, !)
    6-speed automatic transmission (vs. previous 4-speed) (optional on base, +; standard on !)
    6-speed manual transmission (vs. previous 5-speed)
    Electric power steering (vs. hydraulic)
    Active eco system (applies to A/T)
    Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
    Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)
    Eco Package (A/T only) w/ Idle Stop and Go (ISG) (optional on A/T base, +)
    White is available as an exterior colour. The 2012 models are coming out in a few months, so maybe something might appeal to you then. Did you see the interior finish on the 2012 Soul they had on display at the NY auto show? If not check out these photos at:
    http://www.kiamedia.com/secure/soul2012-photos.php

I like the beige and black interior on the Soul 4u Retro (Canadian model). I'm a senior citizen too. :)
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    Great news thanks C.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Ben70, there is a white Soul available. A longtime acquaintance of mine is the local Kia dealer and has at this writing several white cars along with the youth oriented colors to choose from.

To be honest, I didn't check the interiors as I was there on an errand. Hopefully the '12's will offer some more subdued color schemes.
    Exterior:
    Rear camera display (+ w/ Audio Upgrade Package (A/T only);
    standard on !)

Interior:
    UVO system w/ HD Radio UVO in-car hands-free entertainment and communication system package (+ w/ Audio Upgrade Package (A/T only); standard on !)

Available Infinity Audio System (+ w/ Audio Upgrade Package (A/T only); standard on !)

Auto on/off headlamps (+ w/ Audio Upgrade Package (A/T only);
    standard on !)

Revised speaker lamp illumination (+ w/ Audio Upgrade Package (A/T only); standard on !)
    2012 Changes:

1.6L GDI Engine and 2.0L Nu Engine added
    Standard 6 Speed Manual Transmission and available 6 Speed Automatic Transmission
    Exterior Enhancements
    Front / rear bumper design changed
    2-bulb headlamp changed to 4-bulb plus available projection feature
    Rear lamp design changed and available LED rear tail lamps added
    New optional 18” Alloy wheels
    Interior Enhancements
    New optional 7-inch navigation
    New optional UVO infotainment
    New optional Supervision cluster
    New upper floor console and new 6-speed gear shift knob
    Available “Idle Stop-and-Go” Technology
    Standard Hill Assist Control (HAC) and Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
    Three new colours added – Misty Green, Olive Green and Saddle Brown
    Three colours removed – Java Brown, Orange, Blue Stone
    New “Patterned” style cloth interior replaces Houndstooth design
    Specifications and trims have been modified
    I have features specs on the Canadian Soul, any questions just fire away.
  • vt2862vt2862 Member Posts: 1
    Do you know when they will be in the showroom in Canada vs USA?
    I would estimate some time in September for Canada, probably similar for the US too.
    here's a one page summary of the 2012 Soul for the Canadian market. Prices have not yet been announced.

according to Kia Canada the 2012 Soul should be arriving in showrooms late October.
  • ben70ben70 Member Posts: 16
    Lets hope Kia releases the 2012 Soul soon. We've been spending small fortune to keep our Honda Odyssey on the road. Let's hope that the 2012 Soul is available before the flaky brakes on the Odyssey kill us!
    1.6L MT - $16,595
    1.6L AT & a/c - $18,995
    1.6L AT ECO - $19,995

2.0L 2u MT - $18,995
    2.0L 2u AT - $20,195

2.0L 4u MT - $20,495
    2.0L 4u AT - $22,695
    2.0L 4u Retro AT - $23,495
    2.0L 4u Burner AT - $24,195
    2.0L 4u Luxury AT - $25,395
    here is the one page summary I posted earlier only this time all the MSRP for each model have been added for ease of viewing.

• barryk2barryk2 Member Posts: 6
    Can't read on this site any way to see it in another form?.
    sorry, try this link and then you can enlarge it on that site

http://rides.webshots.com/album/580544387KsNYCP
    Fuel Economy (city/highway):
    6-speed 1.6L M/T: 27/35 (CITY +1/HWY +4)
    6-speed 1.6L A/T: 27/35 (new for 2012)
    6-speed 2.0L M/T: 26/34 (CITY +2/HWY +4)
    6-speed 2.0L A/T: 26/34 (CITY +2/HWY +4)
    some limited info on the US Kia Motors site

http://www.kia.com/#/upcoming/?fvVehicleID=soul&fvPageID=intro
    base price MSRP is $13,900 (up $600 over the 2011 model), no more Sport version

http://www.kiamedia.com/secure/corporate081611.html
    6 various 2012 manuals available for download from KGIS
    base MT - $13,900
    base AT - $15,700
    + MT - $16,300
    + AT - $17,300
    ! - $19,600
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I have dual citizenship and I have imported vehicles from Canada into the U.S. (and vice versa). You are correct in stating that you need a letter from the manufacturer stating the vehicle meets U.S. safety and emissions standards. Regarding the safety standards and lack of confirmation from Kia, I would examine the labeling on the vehicle (e.g. under the hood, on the driver's door, etc.) or on the original dealer sticker if it is available, and check if there is any indication of compliance with U.S. safety standards. Further, I would discuss the issue with the U.S. Customs office at the particular border entry point prior to importing the vehicle into the U.S. They can provide you with advice as to whether you have sufficient documentation for importing the vehicle into the U.S. Good luck.
  • subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    My wife and I took delivery of our new Kia Soul+ Manual Sept. 14. After the car was bought and paid for we discovered that there was no cruise control even though the window sticker showed it as having it. We have a good dealer and salesman and since this was one of the first 2012 Soul recieved they were as surprised as we were. We contacted Kia customer service that same day sending them a fax of the sticker and a photo of the steering wheel as they requested. We were told the southern consumer affairs office would contact us about it. They never called as promised but I was able to reach with assistance from the California office an Ola Sprague, the assigned case mgr. She told me she couldnt do anything until the office Mgr returned on Friday and she would call me Friday morning. She didn't do that so I had to reach her myself in which case she arrogantly told me they were not going to install an after market cruise or any other cruise control on my Car. I asked that Kia assist in me obtaining an automatic that had cruise. I asked that her manager call back. Friday afternoon the manager Paul Stapelton called to rudely tell me that all they would do was give me the cost of the cruise control parts to the Kia factory, about $150. This was an insult by a truly certified SOB. All I can say to anyone with a problem with a problem with a Kia and has to appeal to th Kia southern affairs office, GOOD LUCK, YOU WILL NEED IT!
    sorry for your problem, but how did you not know it had cruise before you purchased it? Did you not test drive the vehicle? Did you purchase it and pay for it in full before even looking at the vehicle? Seems a strange way to purchase such a large ticket item.

When I purchased my Kia I spent a good 30-45 minutes checked out the whole vehicle (just like a PDI) before I even paid a cent for it and then if something isn't right its either correct then by the service department or I get something else.

On the Canadian Soul's cruise is not available on manual transmission models.
    The cruise control on the 2012 soul models is in a different place on the steering wheel, the bottom, than on the 2011. I did test drive the car but have never tested the cruise control on a test drive before. Because it is so new the dealer thought it had cruise because the sticker said it did. Only after this incident did many dealers find out that the + manual did not include this stated feature. The main point here is that the southern consumer affairs office and its manager can not be depended on to give support to Kia owners.
    My Kia dealership sales Mgr has been turned down in his request to Kia for assistance in my case. I had offered to Kia and the dealership to pay the difference in cost between the manual + soul and the auto soul + with Kia giving assistance in the tradeout. I have a permanent injury to my right leg in which cruise control helps me not to have cramps on a trip over 20 highway miles. We gave our 08 XB manual, which has cruise to our son. He uses and likes the cruise,so we won't be getting that car back. The previous Soul+ manual had cruise and their main competition the XB manual has it so early on here everyone was taken by surprise they dropped it but still had it listed on the 2012 Soul + window stickers. Kia should step up and help me on this matter and take responsibility for their mistake which is causing us a lot of dissapointment. The right thing to do is help us get into the Soul + auto which has cruise and it may be the legally correct thing to do. We will see!
    South Eastern dealers I have asked have told me that Kia or the Kia Southern Regonal Office or the manager, Paul Stapelton did not inform them that the 2012 Soul+ did not have cruise control, as stated on the window sticker, as Paul Stapelton told me was done Sept. 6. There are still 2012 Kia Soul + manual cars listed on Autotrader of Dealer inventories that show these cars to have cruise control even though they do not and salesmen that do not know this. This may lead some to question the credability of the Kia Southern Regional Office. My dealer, salesman , sales managers have told me they were not told and I believe them. This has caused my wife and I a lot of disappointment and limited use of the car because of my right leg limitations. I have been denied assistance to remedy my problem by this office. I need cruise control and not having it limits the usefulness of this car to me.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    edited September 2011
    Keep up the pressure on Kia. They clearly baited you. From their Media Center site, a press release dated August 17, 2011:

"Soul+ with manual transmission offers additional standard features, including a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, steering wheel-mounted controls, cruise control, hands-free Bluetooth® wireless connectivity, dual front 12-volt power outlets with single power outlet in the cargo area, and tweeter speakers, all enhancing creature comforts on the road. Standard on the Soul+ is a covered upper storage bin, dual visor vanity mirrors with covers and dual map lights, while black cloth seats are adorned with Soul logo inserts. An optional Audio Upgrade Package also is available for Soul+ featuring an Infinity audio system with UVO technology that enhances the sound with a center speaker, subwoofer, external amplifier and speaker lights in a rainbow of colors that pulse to the beat of the music or add mood lighting. A rear camera display is part of the audio upgrade package for enhanced visibility."

Go to www.kiamedia.com and look for it. Save it. Print it out. And use it as a hammer. The Kia site, www.kia.com, shows that Steering Wheel-Mounted Cruise Control is Standard on ALL Soul models. Period. Print that one out and use it as a crowbar.

File a Lemon Law complaint with your State. And forget about the chastising comments earlier from guy who had the nerve to expect you to check that the window sticker was right !

Try contacting the Owner of the Dealership. The Sales Manager and Service Manager both have to adhere to policies, but the Owner could easily make this right with an Auto car, and write off the loss. Bad PR like this will cost just him - the other guys just make salaries.

I'd be mad as hell too. I have been considering a Soul + Manual w/ Cruise, but now...
    Thank you for your response and the information.
    The Kia site, www.kia.com, shows that Steering Wheel-Mounted Cruise Control is Standard on ALL Soul models. Period.

sorry but that is not accurate, if you click on the link from the spec list with regards the cruise control, there is a disclaimer which states:
    "not available on Base and Plus M/T."
    The disclaimer mentioning the + manual has only recently been added and was not there Sept 14, the day I purchased the car. Infact the next day I spoke to a woman by the name of Daniel in the Southern Consumer affairs Office and she was not aware that the + manual should not have cruise control or she would have told me. Im sorry but why are you so negatively interested in my serious problem?