Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Shifting Problems

jayg2jayg2 Member Posts: 10
edited May 2014 in Lincoln
I have a 1988 Town Car.
Car starts and runs fine. When I take off and drive Car shifts from first to 2nd gear fine, 2nd to 3rd gear fine, when I hit about 45 miles per hour car seems to go in neutral and engine starts racing until it finally engages into 3rd gear. Was wondering if this is a problem with the modulator or lockup converter. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    until it finally engages into 3rd gear.

Or, do you mean finally engages into 4th gear?

How many miles and months since the tranny oil and filter have been changed?
  • jayg2jayg2 Member Posts: 10
    I think it's 3rd gear. It might be 4th. I know itis after 45MPH.

Bought the car used and it has 120,000 miles on it. Don't know if the filter has ever been changed.
    Don't know if the filter has ever been changed.

At this point I recommend you try a torque converter and transmission oil change including the transmission filter. Make sure all of the oil is drained from the torque converter.

The transmission usually shifts into 4th above 40 mph when there is little or no pressure on the gas pedal.
    Thanks for the info.

I'm doing it myself what's a good way to get the trans fluid out of the torque converter? Can it be done without taking the torque converter off? There is no drain plug on the torque converter.
    Rotate the torque converter until the drain plug shows & go from there. No need to take the converter off.
  • borlaborla Member Posts: 2
    I have an1988 towncar the almost the same problem i got this remanufactured tranny in Detroit when my wife and i was on vacation back in 2002 we drove from connecticut with the original tranny in the car drove all the way and it broke down in warren mi. now seven years later this one is splipping every now and then fliud and screen been change and it still slips slightly but on the highway it fine im going to just live it tell it dies. just wanted to share that with you hope everything work out for you for the good.

note : i will too ask my tech about the torque converter it my help me too.
    How many miles on the replacement tranny in the last 7 years?
  • gortiz3gortiz3 Member Posts: 4
    Sup Guys! Looks like we all have some good tastes around here when it comes to luxurious horsepower anyway there is a 1995 Lincoln Towncar Cartier I am looking to buy. Currently the odometer reads around 209,xxx miles. The paint is still a light tan glossy and the interior white leather shows some wear and tear, not too much. It even comes with a sunroof which works fine. All matching hubcaps, good tire tread (70%), AC and heater, power seats and all windows except one work. The price tag was originally $1900, but has been dropped to $1300.

What concerns me is the acceleration. I'll gas it lightly and it'll take somewhat of a while to speed up. The first gear hits around 14-18 mph. Then I feel another at 26-28 mph. They are quick and you feel the pull. On my brother's 91 TC (160K miles) the gear shifts are smooth and you have to feel for them though. Also the engine's rpm (the 95 TC) will shoot up for some time before 3rd gear comes in then it levels off. Upwards 50mph+ its good. The lady claims her husband took care of it regularly. Is it wear and tear or is it something more simple? any help is appreciated. I need some wheels for work.
    Have 1988 Town car with automatic temperature control A.C. system is fulley charged compressor cycle on and off can only get 60deg out of system last year was 38. It will run at 60deg for a time then will blow warm air.Removed ATC check vacuum was good cleand air hose adjustment on temperture control cable in its place.What else should I be looking at or fore? ALL HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED
This discussion has been closed.