Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Yukon Oil Change Light

cesarmcesarm Member Posts: 7
edited April 2014 in GMC
I have a 2002 Yukon, and everytime that I do the oil change, the Oil change light comes on after 2000 miles sometimes less. I have to reset it. I do the oil change every 3000 miles and I use synthetic oil.

Is that normal or the gauge is failing?

Thank you.

Comments

• crash73crash73 Member Posts: 1
    Normal becuase you need to reset the 'Change Oil' "counter" when you change the oil. If you check the owners manual, you need to do something like insert the ignition key, turn the key on (but don't start the vehicle). Once the self test have run and most of the lights go out, you have 5 seconds to reset the counter.

Depress the gas pedal to the floor three times; do not hold the pedal down; just tap it to the floor 3 times within that 5 seconds. When done, turn the key off. Turn the key on, and the Change Oil will flash like 3 times to let you know it has been reset. You need to do this every time you change the oil.
  • cesarmcesarm Member Posts: 7
    I know how to reset the oil change counter. My question is why the oil change light comes on too soon?. The oil some times does not even have 2000 miles and the light comes on.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    That is weird. Ours doesn't recommend a change until at least 6 or 7K.

Are you losing any oil? Do you check the oil life monitor often and watch the "% remaining" go down, or do you just leave that screen hidden until all of a sudden it tells you that it's due for a change?
  • cesarmcesarm Member Posts: 7
    I'm not losing any oil, and I do not have the kind of counter that tells you the % of oil life it just tells you "Engine Oil change". When the light comes on, I check the oil and the oil is pretty clean. I use synthetic oil and I change it every 3000 or 4000 miles. I know that synthetic oil last longer but I change it anyways.

I was told that the oil counter is just a dust detector, and does not measure the viscosity of the oil. I do not know if that is true or not.

Thank you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Can you ship me your used oil? I bet I could get another 10,000 miles out of it, easy. :)
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    FAQ on GM's oil life monitor.

GM oil life monitor

The system cannot tell the difference between regular and synthetic oil. That being the case most use oil sample testing to get a better idea on oil change intervals.

Blackstone Labs
  • jr_hpasjr_hpas Member Posts: 1
    Are you changing it when the light comes on or are you keeping track of your own miles? If you change the oil when the lights not on and you don't reset it then...then it will come on before it's time for another change.

I have an '02 Yukon and I don't have any problems with mine. I get mine changed when the light comes on and reset it then and I'm good to go. :)
This discussion has been closed.