Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy TrailBlazer Front Differential Problem

jmcfarlanjmcfarlan Member Posts: 1
I have an 03 TB, LT, with 413,000 km (256,600 miles) on it. 3 days ago heard a bang from underneath, then a loud clanging sound from the front. No vibration or driveability issues, took to dealer, couldn't diagnose, drove home, sound diminished. Took to dealer, reprog the front diff actuator. Works fine in all settings: 2WD, A4WD, 4HI, but is noisy (grinding?) in A4wd or 4HI, but quiet in 2WD. I am suspecting the front diff is gone.

Any insights?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There are a couple of messages in the '03 TB front differential oil gone? discussion that you may want to look at while waiting for a reply here.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • johnnyvr6johnnyvr6 Member Posts: 2
    I have notice my 2005 trailblazer has developed this "wha,wha,wha" sound when getting to a speed of about 35 to 45 mph. the sound tends to get louder or decrease when on different pavements. does anyone have any suggestions on what may be causing this?????? any help would be appreciated.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Sounds like irregular tire wear on the front axle. What does the tread on the front tires look like? Is the wear pattern equal or is the inner or outer edge of the tire or tires worn differently than the rest?
  • johnnyvr6johnnyvr6 Member Posts: 2
    The tire ware appears to be equal. This was really pissing me off so I asked my wife to drive down the road to see if I could hear which tire it was coming from. after driving along side the truck, I was surprised that you can not hear anything coming from any of the tires. what else could it be?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Hmmm.... Do you happen to have any of the windows open on the rear passengers doors when it happens?
    I ask because our TB has a strange resonance in the interior when someone opens one of the windows on the rear passengers door when both of the front windows are closed. It makes the kind of noise you describe.
    It's done it since new (2002) and since we rarely open the windows I don't think of it much.
  • rexy44rexy44 Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2010
    04 TB 4wheel dr. Traded early Nov.. supposed to have been serviced. Drove 2k miles. Took it in to my independent mechanic. Changed plugs (has 112K mi) changed trans filter/fluid. While checking differentials, front was near to empty. So they added about a quart. drove home (5mi) was leaking from front diff.. Went back, seal was out. Tuesday we are going to put in seal kit. Question: Does any one think there is internal damage? There was still some of the green synthetic in the puddle.
    Have a new diagnosis on the REAR differential by two pretty knowledgeable mechanics.
    Gear noise rear diff.: common and nothing really reparable or adjustable. Did not ask about heavier gear lube to quiet it down.
    "Turn up the radio" is the last laugh so...............................T or whole new rear pumpkin! And it may still reoccur.
    Repaired with new seal, lubed up with 80/90 synthetic and rotated tires. Now gear noise in rear differential.
    Another thread follows.
    Thanks for allowing my posts.
This discussion has been closed.