Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Oil Consumption Problem

Comments

• JJamiJJami Member Posts: 8
    I have an 2009 odyssey with 21500 miles on it with only 2 oil change and 3rd one pending in about 500-1000 miles... i have done both oil change in dealership.. i was thinking about going to either meineke or monro muffler for the 3rd one as its lot cheaper then what dealerships charge. what do you guys recommend?
  • dendrodendro Member Posts: 19
    Anyone in Minnesota?
    I think it is time to seek legal help before all of our engines blow up and we are stuck with a $5,000.00 bill plus what we owe on the van or suv or any Honda with this VCM engine.
    It seems obvious someone is still trying to blame us for the defect Honda designed and built.
    By the way I got 664 miles 1Qt low, black smoke came out in a huge cloud only once I noticed but it is hard to see when I'm driving what else maybe coming out the back. I think my new Odyssey is going to blow up any minute, hope I'm not on the freeway
    Has anyone else had black smoke coming out of the exhaust??????
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    With the oil issue I'd probably have it done at the Honda dealership. If you decide to have it done at Mieneke make sure you save your receipts.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    JJami

My Honda dealer had a new owner education event and explained that they don't even want to see us until the oil life percentage is down to 20% and then they will do everything that the codes that appear says needs done. So far I've got 4500 miles since my last oil change and still have 50% oil life and it hasn't burned a drop, in fact it is so clean on the dip stick I had to trun it sidways in the light to see it on the stick/cable.

One thing they said was that if you get the oil changes somewhere else to please get the aluminum crush gaskets that Honda recommends to ensure the person changing the oil doesn't overtighted the bolt and ruin the port in the oil pan. It's a 15 cent part they will sell you so it's not like he was trying to make money but it was good to know. So if you go to Meineke or somewhere else ask if they have the metal crush gasket and if not or you don't trust the pimple faced 17 year old working on oil changes, then just buy a few and give them the gasket when you get the oil changed, and be sure to wait until you get the codes to know what else is recommended for the maintenance.

BTW, mine is an '09 Touring so I don't know if they all do the codes, but from the dealer meeting it seemed they recommend the metal crush gaskets on all. Much cheaper than a new oil pan. oh, and my dealer has the 29 minute oil change program so it's as convenient as any iol change shop, and at $24.99 for oil and filter change I don't think any potential savings of a couple bucks every 6 or 7 thousand miles has any material impact on my pocketbook, but that is just me.

Good luck with your vehicle - Happy motoring.
    Sorry, I was wrong it is blue smoke coming out, and the oil residue is on the bottom of my white bumper and up to the top. It is most certainly oil, now what?????

Has anyone had blue smoke coming out the exhaust? I wonder how long I have before this thing blows up???
  • hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    I think its going to blow up on May 12, maybe 10th if you're driving aggressively.
  • metcoatmetcoat Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 96 odyssey with 127,000 miles....runs great, no smoke, but uses tons of oil....no leaks.....have used 3 quarts in 3000 miles...first time I checked the oil was at 128,000 miles...it was empty...no oil pressure light, or warning it was low....changed the oil and have used two quarts since....so where did it go? Any ideas?
  • myodyeatsoilmyodyeatsoil Member Posts: 5
    Consumer Complaint, Honda Complaint, Odyssey Complaint, American Honda Complaint, 2008, 2009 , 2010 Odyssey

Well i met with the Honda Rep yesterday, an elderly man by the name of David Carthcart.

Well to start off, he was somewhat nice, but he turned into a suit wearing arrogant "doubting thomas" He proudly stated that honda's had a few of these lemon cases but we have not lost one yet. What a jerk huh?

needless to say, i was convinced that he would do whatever it took to dismiss my claim. He acted as though I was bothering him while sarcastically reading through my complaints.

He was adamant about the 1000 miles per Quart is normal, but when i explained to him, that I the customer, am supposed to go by the maintenance minder system to know when my vehicle requires attention, it states so in the owners manual. The maintenance minder shows oil change time around 6000 to 7000 miles, If this is the case and the engine holds 4.7 quarts, we should be bone dry or negative 1.5 quarts or so... He added sarcastically, our engines dont even need oil, sometimes the techs drain the oil and dont add any back in and the motors still run fine. customers get down the road and see a light then come back.... I say well what affect do you think that does to the engine's internals? he responded, "but you are supposed to check the oil" , well what good is the freaking maintenance minder system to us then!?!?!!? You know what they say about assuming Mr Cathcart!

His response to my van using oil is that "Some do and some dont" "these engines are designed this way, there are pockets in the motor for oil to stay" I told him, well I was under the impression that I was paying for one that did not use oil..

He Behaved like "A real know it all" and did not respond well to criticism, after he realized that he was crossing lines with me, he's commented " im a consumer too and i want to help you..." "im on your side here" whatever!!

One of the concerns, minor compared to the oil consumption was the rattle in the windows. Well not to be biased, If you send a Senior citizen to check for noises, you are not going to find much...

After the test drive with Mr Cathcart and the Service Manager they check the oil level once more. They checked it 4 times to sure, it was barely registering on the bottom of the dipstick, as they were putting it back together, i asked them " do you see a lot of odysseys with this symptom? " they said " no" Im thinking , then why the hell wont you give me another van!!!

I believe Losing/ admitting there was a problem or replacing the van was never an option for him

Anyhow Honda wants us to believe that we are all stuck with Odysseys that are burning oil, I Refuse to!!! I know it is not normal.

two different service managers admitted that it is abnormal to add oil in-between oil changes OR they've never seen anything like that.....

not to mention their shocked looks on their faces when they see no oil on the dipstick at 50% maintenance minder (31xx) miles..

I really wish i knew or was notified at the time of purchase that this van would require oil in between oil changes and it would have DEFINITELY made me drop the idea of even buying a Honda.....

This is a very worrying issue and I think that an injustice was done here not notifying customer's prior to purchase that this would happen....

I guess the biggest pill to swallow here is the fact that our 06 odyssey was perfect.. I didnt want my money back i just wanted a proper working replacement van and I would have been happy.

please do research before you purchase a Honda Vehicle. The Honda big wigs will tell you its normal for the engine to use oil.... but i Bet you that they wouldn't want to own one of these oil hogs for the long-run themselves! :mad:

I now will seek legal representation and i'll keep you posted, I will not roll over and play dead on this.

I hope American Honda will read this
    hang in there and don't give up, too much money, my engine is going so mr. cathcart is wrong the vcm engine doesn't do well with no oil, i had 1 quart so my engine, in his opinion must be ok. i am going to have to disagree with the rep. they do not do well with no oil. i will use his quote if nothing else for a good laugh, check my earlier posts.

this is just too much to comprehend a company like honda would treat it's customers like this. the blame game is a fine art with honda and their dealers. obviously they have a lot of practice. honda has trained their dealers well. almost all of the complaints i've had with this van were answered with, that is normal, there is nothing wrong, except of course the brake recall a few months after my first complaint.

i have to wonder if all makes treat their customers like this, i've purchased 10 new vans, cars, suvs and i have never ever been treated bad by any of the other brands.

I will be busy the next few weeks but i sent a note to edmunds to see how i can contact others with the same problem i am having. in reality honda doesn't want to admit they have a design problem with the vcm and or the assembly of the engine. where was you van assembled, mine was down south, not japan not in canada. could that make a difference with the vans having this problem????

I am not a mechanic but i have talked with several, they all say 1000 miles to 1 quart is not normal. even for the type of engine we have. i wonder how many of us are having the same issue, and what do our vans have in common? keep it up don't stop contacting as many federal and state agencies as possible.

when i bought mine now that i think back there were numerous new vans on their lot, I wonder why, when this is supposed to be one of top selling mini vans.

i smell a rat and a cover-up, the only way to put the blame where it belongs is with numerous complaints backed up by facts. i am being told by my dealer they never heard of this oil problem before. are they telling the truth? or is honda not sharing their information with their dealers. i am very thankful for edmunds and odyclub forums, i maybe would have thought i was the only one. several posts were on this oil consumption problem before i found this forum. i will keep checking my email is set to forward new posts on this forum.

I have a sick feeling honda is afraid this vcm engine is going to be the same as GM's in the i think 1980's. that was a disaster for GM and I hope it isn't for honda, i just hope honda honors their warranty and will put an oil pressure gauge in their autos or at least tell the consumer watch your oil, our vcm engines use oil like gas, or at least write a clear owners manual. but then again how are they going to sell parts and keep the dealers repairing them so they all can make more money.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    hi I read on ROC forum on how to check engine oil for the honda ridgeline.. So honda pilot, and odyssey may be the same way to check engine oil.

1st. start the engine.
    2nd. wait for the fan to turn on.
    3rd. turn off the engine. wait 20 minutes.
    4th. check the engine oil..
  • ee4lifeee4life Member Posts: 14
    See Honda TSB 82-003: Oil Consumption Test

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A82-003.PDF

Oil consumption of more than 1 quart in 1000 miles is deemed excessive.

This TSB may appear to be outdated (based on the date it was issued), but it is not and is still referenced by Honda on TSB lists for late model vehicles.

See article from Honda Service News July 1996 (page 4): Tips for Checking Oil Consumption
    http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/A960700.PDF

See article from Honda Service News March 2001 (page 3): Engine Oil Consumption: '00-01 S2000
    http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/A010300.PDF
  • 4odysseyex4odysseyex Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2010 Odyssey EX on June 22 2010. I too noticed the engine knock when driving on a slight up-hill slope. I am a very careful driver, try to acclerate slowly without putting a lot of strain on he engine, but that does not seem to matter. I also get some jerks when the car is slowing down. Now that you folks are talking about similar issues, I'll keep my eye on the oil and see if the level changes. I only drive about 100 miles per week so it will be a while before I confirm my oil level, but I will provide that information soon. I never had any such problems with my Dodge Caravan SXT. The only reason I bought Odyssey is because the seats are very comfortable, my SXT seats were a bit smaller for me and thus not comfortable during a long drive. Now I am wondering if I made a mistake. Only time will tell.
  • burningoilburningoil Member Posts: 1
    Just found this forum--we are having these exact issues with our 2008 odyssey. Problem started almost immediately after purchase. We have brought the van in 15 times in less than 2 years. This week the catalytic converter went out. What you said about smelling a rat is right! We also chose from a lineup of vans in July 2008, all reduced significantly. When we asked why, they said they were clearing the lot for 2009 so we better get 'em while we could. Have you made any progress with Honda? Do you have any tips? They have been telling us the same things you said, with the exception of last week: they told us this is under investigation now, that there have been some other "isolated" incidents of this problem and that we must now bring it in for an oil consumption test every 1000 miles as part of the investigation. But NO word on the stopping point of this investigation. Its such a bunch of bull! If anyone knows what button to push with Honda, please share.
  • alumiu90alumiu90 Member Posts: 7
    Checked the oil on our new 2010 EXL this weekend before taking a trip of approximately 250 miles. The van only had 850 miles on it when I performed this check and I had to add 1/4 of a quart of oil. This does not seem normal as I traded in a Dodge Grand Caravan with 138,000 miles that never used a drop of oil in its life. Even changed it to synthetic at 50,000 miles and it never consumed or leaked oil from the day I bought it brand new.
    Is this a normal problem with the Odyssey? If so I am going to have to watch it closely as I never was concerned with the Dodge as it never used any oil. I am taking it to the dealer to have some issues addressed that we have found wrong with the vehicle and I will be discussing this with them. At this rate it will be consuming 1.5 quarts every 5,000 miles. This is completely unacceptable in my opinion. I also own an Accord and it has never used a drop of oil so Honda can't say this is normal as I have another one of their vehicles and I do not have this problem with it.

What are my options here? Put up with it using oil or what?
    Hey buddy, We got so irate at the way honda treated us.

we ditched the odyssey and bought a Jeep Cherokee. yes its a gas hog, yes it has a hemi, but NO it does not burn any oil!!!!!

the honda dealership after that checkup, left the van with less than 1 quart in it and told me it was fine to pickup..

that was the last straw for my wife and I....

I'm glad now that we do not own the odyssey, it was perhaps the worst car buying decision we've made yet... AND I USED TO SELL HONDAS!!

David Cathcart was the rep we dealt with, and what a piece of work. I demand he should be fired. Honda will not call me back, very poor customer service, Cathcart ignored my problem with the oil consumption... he coached the service team at Honda of Ocala to shut up and say nothing during the entire ordeal.... The Honda of Ocala team told me that there was something abnormal with the motor and that it was burning oil.....and to take it to American Honda.... then suddenly there's no more talk of it... Honda's methods are very crooked.

I will continue to preach that Honda's V6 does infact have an oil consumption problem and that honda will do nothing to resolve it. My van was down 3.6 quarts of oil and they told me it was normal after 3000 Miles!!!

Go buy a Toyota everyone... i will never again buy another Honda vehicle.

now the Proud owner of an American 4x4 gas guzzler.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    We have a 2010 EX and thought we might have the same problem. Husband pulled the van out on the driveway, checked the oil, and it seemed low. When we took it to the dealer for an oil change, the service guy said that was normal if you have started the engine. I would call the local Honda service dept. and ask them about it. Hope this helps.

We have had our van since April and haven't had any problems. Every make has its lemons, but so far ours has been a great vehicle. I'm just sorry that some folks get bad ones. :(
  • drivenavandrivenavan Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2010 8500 miles on it and have been amazed at how fast the oil disappears. I have not called the dealer about this yet. Could someone offer advice on how I should deal with them. Should I insist on an oil consumption test just to have a record?
  • general5general5 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all. I'm in Atlanta and purchased a new 2009 Odyssey last summer. Almost immediately, I began to have oil consumption issues. I've been through two oil consumption tests (dealer checks oil every 1,000 miles). The dealer also checked for an oil leak and asked that I leave the car over night for a "cold" start when hooked up to their computer.
    After several months the dealer acknowledges that the car uses way too much oil but has no answers and referred me to Honda NA.
    Today (9/7/10) I called Honda of North America 800-999-1009. I spoke to the first line Rep who stated someone would call me back in a day. But here's the nugget of information I wanted to pass along --- She stated that Honda is aware of this issue. There is no protocol for Honda with regard to this issue as Honda is actively working on a resolution.
    So, to all reading I advise the following: Get your oil consumption test; Document the results carefully on the dealer's system; Contact Honda at the number above and get on record with your complaint.
    Good luck.
  • 08hondaody08hondaody Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for general5's suggestion on calling Honda North America 800-999-1009.
    I called today and spoke to a Rep. She wrote down the info. I have a 2008 Odyssey, which consumes 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. It's been in Honda service center 4 times since March 2010.
    I have a question for general5. Did the case manager from Honda NA call you back? What's the solution for the issue?
    For everybody who has the same oil consumption issue: Did you file a case under lemon law ? Did you get any money compensation for the issue?
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I checked the level on my '10 (8/10 build) today. At 3300 miles it is showing full. Interestingly, the top of the dipstick (which is some type of poly or rubber) has two integral o-rings. Don't know if my '05 was that way but it suggests to me that Honda engineers are trying to seal things up tight.

Also, back in the day, one quart per 1000 miles was (at least in every car I had in the '70s) pretty normal.
  • kevman06kevman06 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2009 EX-L. Was burning oil first year, then at 12,000 miles, it just stopped. Now oil stays very steady on the dipstick. We love the Ody.
  • trainwreckertrainwrecker Member Posts: 1
    I just saw this thread after changing the oil in my 2008 Oddey

I have never once seen a warning light of any kind on my van for oil. I once had it changed at the dealer and they brought me back to the bay to show me that there was only one quart in the car. They asked me who changed the oil. I changed it and they made comments that I did not put in any oil when I changed it! They recorded the 1 quart on my record.

I have continued to change the oil and it is using at least a quart every 1K miles. I change the washer, and do a detailed inspection after the service. There is a problem with this engine. I have owned many cars and never have seen this before.

I am glad to add to this thread about my personal experience. Having a service guy tell me that I "forgot to add" oil when I did an oil change 4thousand mile prior was priceless. This is a lease, I am dumping Honda and the Van in 6months time.
    I went today for round two of my oil consumption test and the dealership was surprised to see how much oil had disappeared. They contacted Honda and had them update the vans software saying that when the engine runs on three cylinders they rings are cooling down, contracting to much and allowing oil to pass. We will see if this does anything.
  • shutterbug5shutterbug5 Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I am new to this forum, but sooo glad I found itl! I am typically not someone who ever posts, but let me just say, I felt like I HAD TO! This is my story. Bought a 2010 Odyssey and have looooved it. Until now. 2weeks ago, my van choked in the parking lot and my oil and engine lights came on. I decided I better get it in immediately. It restarted and seemed ok, but about a 1/4 mile around the corner,my engine COMPLETELY seized and the van died. Thank GOD I was not on the interstate as I normally am at that time, but instead had treated my 3 kids to a treat after school, so was on a much smaller road. Again, the only warning I had was immediately before the van's death. The indicator was also blinking -999 at that time as well. The tow truck driver checked and stated it had no oil. I was shocked, had it towed to the nearest Honda dealer. It has been a fiasco ever since. The minute my van rolled in there the service advisor me who did my oil change and as soon as I told him Firestone, he had a VERY "hands off" attitude. He proceded to tell me that in his 7yrs of experience he has NEVER seen such a thing and began to quote to me the owner manual about as the responsible owner and driver I should be checking my oil every gas fill-up.. who does that anymore????? He then proceeded to tell me that if it was an oil chang issue, my warranty would not cover a new engine because it hadn't been serviced by Honda. He called me 3 days later with the diagnosis of engine failure due to less than 1 qt of oil in the engine. That was it. I had to ask him about the drip pan cap, loose oil filter.. he then stated all was normal and it was not going to be covered under my warranty. He, again, quoted the checking my oil thing with each gas fillup. He was sooo rude it was unbelievable . Zero customer care , zero compassion for the loss of my engine on a 17,000 mile basically brand new van! I have only made 27 payments on it!! I then spoke to Firestone about the possibiltiy of a faulty oil change, not enough oil put back in, yadayada.. they sent out a 3rd party unbiased mechanic who said the same... nothing looked faulty. Ok, so where in the world did my oil go??? It had been 6months/8000 miles between oil changes and that is with using FULL SYNTHETIC. I have been told by many people this is completely acceptable and that the engine would just circulate DIRTY oil, not BURN it! My next call was to Honda North America. I am in the process of working with a claims rep now and boy is there ALOT of red tape. It has been over 2 weeks now and my van still sits on the Honda dealer 's lift waiting. But even my Honda NA claim person is saying we are just hopeful for a "good will" at this point and for Honda to cover it. She also told me that IF INDEED it burned a qt of oil every 1000 miles, that is still considered within normal parameters!!!!! What?????!!! Yeah , maybe back in the 70's, but not in this day and age and certainly not for a $28,ooo vehicle!!!!! Again, like everyone else has said, she and the dealer both say they are unaware of any oil consumption/burning issues. How is that possible??? I am extremely UNHAPPY and appalled at how Honda has handled this....denying my warranty because they can't prove that Firestone DID INDEED put the proper amt of oil back in. Everything is still under investigation so to say with mine, but heck, I can't do an oil consumption test on mine cuz it is dead!!!! I am just so shocked and outraged. I feel like I have been screwed by Honda, and this makes me so irate, because I waited forever for this van to arrive!!! I will tackle the issue with poor customer service with the owner of that particular dealership, but for now, I just want my engine ordered so we can get it back!!!! This is completely unnacceptable!!!!!
    Did not work. I wish Honda would just make the engine a true 6 cylinder and not to worry about the three cutting out. I did not buy the van because of the gas mileage, I bought it for the reputation and quality. So far I appear to be wrong.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    edited May 2011
    Welllll.....

It is very difficult to expect Honda to replace your engine when you bring it in seized up with 1 quart in the system. I could see some tech getting distracted and failing to fill the thing back up with oil. This won't make you feel any better, but if anyone besides me works on one of my cars, I always check their work. Lessons learned...

The only thing I can come up with to possibly help you is to find out what oil your Firestone store uses (most use Kendall brand semi-syn for bulk oil). Then, if you can get your Honda dealer to capture some of the remaining oil and send it to the manufacturer of Firestone's supply (Kendall is made by ConocoPhillips) for analysis to see if they can determine if it's their oil. If it isn't, then Firestone is guilty. If it is their oil and all of F's paperwork confirms that they filled it and their tech signs an affidavit to that effect, I'd turn to Honda. You're probably going to need a lawyer to get satisfaction and by then, you'll spend much more than a rebuilt engine. Tough spot for you but, well, now you will always check the oil.
    One would think that Honda could create a software download that would disable VCM for those customers who so desire.
  • thirsty06odythirsty06ody Member Posts: 2
    Looks like I'm joining the club. We bought our 06 Ody Touring used from carmax and have loved it up until a month ago. We were changing the oil every 5000 miles and never had any issues the first few services. One day the VSA light turned on and the van stalled out on the freeway. We pulled off the road and turned the ignition off. It started right back up. This happened a few more times so we took it in to the dealer. The dealer told us it was low on oil which was strange because it only had 2000 miles since it was serviced! They changed the oil and said to bring it back in 1000 miles. I made it a point to talk to the service manager and he was clueless. He called the tech and they said there was no problem, just low on oil. It has been less than 1 month (and less than 1000 miles) and it is showing 30% oil life. I scheduled another checkup with the dealer tomorrow- I will let you know what the story is next. Has anyone talked to a lawyer about a class action lawsuit? Honda sells millions of these engines world wide- I would think this is a major issue.
  • gmajerczykgmajerczyk Member Posts: 1
    Am reading your posts while sitting at a Honda dealer for warranty service on my 2010 Honda Odyssey. At 7,000 miles, 14,000 miles, and now at 21,000 miles, it just chokes and dies. Today I was able to limp into the dealership. What is probably occuring with your car is the same thing as with mine: The Variable Cylinder Management system is a lemon. The three cyclinders that get turned off aren't handled properly by the computer, oil starts disappearing (not leaking, it's just gone) and you will lose about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. There will be no sign that anything is wrong until the car starts choking and the engine light comes on. The spark plugs become fouled, and the engine misfires. At 7,000 miles, the other Honda dealership told me that Honda was, "studying the problem". After the second time at about 14,000 miles, they finally came up with a programming upgrade to fix the issue. Later, at an oil change, they did ANOTHER programming upgrade to REALLY fix the issue. Yet, at 21,000 miles, just like clockwork, here I sit in a Honda dealership. Waiting for them to again lie to me about how they have it REALLY REALLY fixed now.

For $38,000 you want a car that at least runs, not is GUARANTEED to die every 7,000 miles. Oh, and they will do the oil consumption test and tell you that as long as it is using not more than one quart of oil every 1,000 miles, that that is acceptable. The hell it is. My wife's dream car has become a nightmare and she'd rather trade it in for a Ford Escort or some gas guzzler than keep it.

Therefore, I have renamed our Honda Odyssey. It's new name: THE "2010 HONDA POLISHED-TURD". It looks all spiffy and shiny, but it's really just a piece of (excrement).

Tell your family, tell your friends, don't buy Honda. Heck, a Toyota may not stop, but at least it will GO!
    I do not know if it helps, I have been telling everyone I know, I have contacted Consumer Reports and told them what is going on and recommended they need to remove it from there " recommend list". They responded with they will look into it. I am sure if more people complain it may help. If anyone else has any ideas I all ears.
  • dinogdinog Member Posts: 3
    My 2009 Odyssey EX-L has the same problem. Did you get resolution? What do you recommend for me? Do the 2011 Odyssey's (with the new "new plateau honing technique for the cylinder bores""low-tension piston ring design" and molybdenum--coated piston skirts) have the same problem?

Thanks!
    Dino Graziano
    graz4@earthlink.net
    Honda handled the situation in a way that infuriorated me , I'll never buy another Honda ever again. I was the first case of my brand new exl burning oil .

Honda would not return my calls , district rep or American Honda. A Toyota is now in our driveway.
  • odyssey2006odyssey2006 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Odyssey 2006. around 35,000 miles the motor started to act up so I drove to the dealer and they informed me I was low on oil. I said how could that be I just had an oil change 3000 miles ago. Are you telling me the my van with only 35,000 miles is burning oil? Needless to say I have been trying ever since to get them to fix the problem but the dealership will not act (even if you have an extended warranty) until the oil consumption reaches over 1 qt per 1000 miles. Imagine that !! I did find out one thing apparently cylinder # 3 seems the be the problem cylinder. The Honda dealership identified the spark plug for that cylinder to be fouled and replaced it. (THEY KNOW and that whats so annoying.) It sounds as though in reading some of the posted messages that this is a common problem one which Honda is not willing to recognize. I am interested if any one has been successful in getting Honda to fix the problem and if so can you point me in the right direction??
  • coachlarry19coachlarry19 Member Posts: 2
    how can I get a copy of the Technical Service Bulliten. I have the same problem with oil consumption.
  • jbmccookjbmccook Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a new 2009 Honda Oddyssey back in March 2009
    from Honda. From the beginning we have had horrible gas mileage. We took the car in after a month to tell them it was getting poor gas mileage, but they told us, the car needed to be worn in and they couldn’t do anything until we hit 5,000 miles. We then moved to San Diego in August 2009. We continued to get poor gas mileage, then started having more problems with the car. The first time we took it in for it’s first service, the service guy informed us that we were 4 quarts low in our “brand new car.” They couldn’t see any oil leaking anywhere, so they just changed the oil, but informed us he was very concerned with the amount of oil that was consumed. The Oddyssey does not have an oil predictor light, basically when the car is low the Engine light turns on, which has been 3 x now, and I even check the oil religiously now, because I’m afraid it will break down. We are now “tracking the oil” on a sheet, because the car doesn’t have an indicator for that. After still showing Poway Honda our sheet of how much oil we are consuming, they told us it is within “Honda standards” of 1 quart per thousand miles and they still can’t see any leaks. If there are no leaks, doesn’t that mean the engine is burning the oil??? I’m a 37 year-old stay at home mom and I can tell you when I have to put this much oil in my car just to have it run and there is Dark, black puffs of smoke coming out of my car, there is a huge problem!!

When visiting my mom in Orange County in April, she told me I had a massive amount of Black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe of my car. She did not want me to drive it home, because she said it looked that bad. It doesn’t happen every time I turn the car on, but it does happen. When I took it into Honda and they couldn’t see Black smoke that morning, they informed me there was nothing they could do.

We are writing because we are very dissatisfied with Honda. I owned a pre-owned Honda Accord in college and it was a wonderful experience. I drove that car until it had 200,000 miles, amazing. I have always had the upmost respect for your company and it’s cars, but recently I have had such a horrible experience, at this time I feel I will never buy another Honda again. It is one thing to buy your very first “new” car to have it not working like a brand new car, but when I am driving around 3 kids from San Diego to Orange County all the time and the engine light goes on more than once (it’s not even a year old) I DO not feel safe. But even worse, Honda will not fix it. Even though this is a completely separate situation, it reflects my constant worry about owning a “lemon.” In the last month I have also started having my car make a horrific screeching noise when I stop on a downhill and my husband was told when he called in to the service department that it’s just normal. Then we take the car in, because it’s getting worse and they charge us $70 to look at the brakes, even though there is “nothing wrong” with them. I think that is just the icing on the cake. It feels like my brakes are going to go out on me and my engine is not safe in my “brand new” car??

All we have ever wanted was for someone to fix our car. Your
    Honda technicians have basically even told us there is clearly a problem with oil and mileage, but nothing can be done until the car gets worse. I don’t really understand why Honda just can’t fix the problem. I don’t feel that my family’s life should be at risk because they will not fix my car that I purchased and continue to make monthly payments for.

Very frustrated and disappointed in Honda........
  • austinodyaustinody Member Posts: 3
    We are having issues with oil consumption on our 2009 Honda Odyssey. I am incredibly disappointed. This was the first new vehicle we have ever purchased and we chose the Odyssey after much research. We were so excited about this van and this was also our first Honda. There are only 23,500 miles on our van and as others have stated the dealer insists that nothing is wrong and that one quart of oil per 1000miles is perfectly normal. We had an oil consumption test tonight and I have the paperwork from that - 3/4quart for every 1000 miles. Our problem started over a year ago - we were out one evening and the service engine light came on - I thought it was a fluke as the van was only about a year old and had less than 12,000 miles on it. The light went off only to come back on and stay on the next day. After looking at the owners manual we checked the oil and there was nothing on the dipstick. I walked to a store and bought oil to put in the van and then we took it to Honda. They said there was nothing wrong and told us to come back in 1000 miles, which we did and they said everything was fine. At that point, although we were uncomfortable with what had happened we figured that maybe they hadn't refilled the oil completely or something at the last oil change because "our new van" could not possibly be having problems. However, when the light came on again yesterday I was trying to get some information and found this forum. While I realize that not all Odysseys have this problem it clearly seems to be a manufacturing issue and they should fix (or better yet replace) those that do. We bought this van because we wanted a reliable and safe vehicle for family trips and carting our two young children to activities and school. We are responsible drivers and have only had the van serviced by Honda. I hope that there will be some resolution to this problem by Honda - I plan to follow the suggestions that others on this forum have made because I simply am not sure what else to do at this point. I am so angry and disappointed as I question the safety of this vehicle.
    edited July 2011
    Since Honda has created a hardball line of defense on this issue, you need to do the same. You have 12,500 miles of warranty remaining. Document everything. Have the dealer do all work and oil consumption documentation. Insist on a FtF meeting with the regional Honda rep. Take a lawyer friend with you. Do not accept 1qt/1000 as "normal" because it isn't. You should get one of the following: 1.a new engine, 2. A new van 3.(best) your money back.
  • coachlarry19coachlarry19 Member Posts: 2
    what is a "FtF meeting with the regional Honda rep" ? we are having the same problems and despite the simple logic that if Honda recommends an oil change every five thousand miles, and a loss of 1 quart per thousand miles, would leave me empty at my next oil change, they refuse to acknowledge that anything could possibly be wrong.
  • austinodyaustinody Member Posts: 3
    I called Honda North America. They took my information and told me that someone would contact me soon. I am trying to be patient an optimistic. Have others been through this process? If so, will it help? I hope so. If not then I plan to check into the lemon laws, contact the better business bureau about the dealer, and maybe try to get the local investigative news people to do a story. I will also most definitely contact a lawyer - has anyone else done this? Any other ideas or suggestions?
    The net is your friend. Google the problem and you will find Honda enthusiast sites with threads. There are a surprising number of people in your position. I don't know if any are being satisfied by Honda but the more people scream bloody murder, the sooner they will want to stop it.
  • joe359joe359 Member Posts: 2
    I have been dealing with american Honda and Jay Honda (Bedford, Ohio) for over a year now. they replaced the transmission at 6,600 miles because it was leaking fluid so bad. I originally took it for service because of the oil consumption. If you have an oil consumption problem, contact the media. I hope to do a story soon, the media has expressed interest. I have heard the same story from Honda, not broken in, needs to be 1 quart every 500 miles to be excessive, Lets do an oil consumption study..... If this oil was dripping on the ground (like the transmission, they would replace the engine, or i would get a new vehicle by now). How long is my emission system going to last with all this oil going through the tail pipe? I will never buy Honda again. The fight will go on!!!! Media first, then an attorney.. Keep good documentation....
  • joe359joe359 Member Posts: 2
    The same thing would of happened to me if I did not check my oil in my 2010 odyssey. Going through oil like water. What has happened since it is now August?? I am going to try to have the media do a story. the customer service at american honda is a joke.
    I had a 2008 Odyssey and I had no oil in my engine at 22,000. Mind you I change my oil every 3 to 4,000 miles. My oil life control (if you can call it that) said I had 50% oil life left. I guess that doesn't mean what it says. No one did anything to fix the problem. I went through my dealer who basically had their hands tied by Honda. The old Oil consumption test. I got 600 miles one time and black smoke coming out the rear and nothing was done about their high tech consumption test. That was used many years ago by Honda for some other reason other than what is going on with these vehicles.

I would assume some dealers may have repaired the truck for THEIR customers but not mine and I see many others were not helped. Honda is obviously trying to avoid a recall. In the meantime I had to trade it in to the same dealer while I could still drive it on the lot. The only other truck beside the pick up without that engine was the CRV (should have learned from Cadillac many years ago with their 8cyl. to 6 cyl. engine, it was a disaster also)

The truck I have now is too little and I lost thousands of dollars by not selling it outright to a private party. But I knew the engine was going and HOW could I sell a vehicle knowing the engine was going out. Obviously Honda and certain dealers do not have the same upbringing most of us have had.

If I operated my business the way Honda has conducted itself I would not sleep at night and be out of business. But then again I'm not a big company like Honda.

I hope someone does bring it to the media. As more and more people get stuck with this :lemon: of a truck it will be recalled I hope, that is if Honda gets bad press and pressure from the Government.

If anyone starts a class action suit let me know, I will join in. Remember the more letters the more phone calls to the right agency and something just could happen before more people suffer the loss we have.

Let's pray no one gets stuck on a busy freeway when their Odyssey gives out and they get hurt. This is a serious problem that could endanger lives, I guess is cheaper to let a few people die other than a recall (sad but true)
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    I have a 2010 Odyssey EX-L and have not had any problems... yet. You mentioned that not all Hondas have this problem. Is there any way to discover if it is a problem with vehicles manufactured at a certain location or some other distinguishing item that will help solve this issue? I'm almost afraid to drive my van now.
    Just do what you should be doing with all your vehicles. Check it over once per month. Check ALL the fluid levels under the hood and your tires' air pressure once a month. I agree that this rate of oil consumption is not good or right and Honda needs to do something about it. But, if you check your oil so infrequently that you run it dry, shame on you.
    I have owned huge 8 cyl trucks and have never had any truck use this much oil.

Honda is irresponsible in not warning us that this hunk of junk used that much oil especially for a 6 cyl. Or Honda could have designed a oil indicator that actually worked the way a low oil warning light should. Possibly the warning light would come on before there is no oil in the engine.

Either way Honda is at fault 100% for a faulty design and a less than adequate training program for the salespeople who sell a truck that would use this amount of oil in 1,000 miles.

There is no excuse for the way Honda has handled this problem and treated their customers. All of us are not in any position to be spending over $30,000 to $40,000 on any truck and have an engine go at 17,000 miles or like mine 22,000 miles.

Not done with Honda yet by a long shot.
    That is not true your warranty is not covered because you had it changed somewhere else. They all say the same thing across the country. I want to know who is training these people to say the same thing.

They should have been training these puppets to tell the truth when we purchased the hunk of junk. "Hey, great little mini van. BUT please check your oil every 500 miles because it runs out at 1,000 miles" That would have been the truth.

I know however, if I had been told the truth I would have not purchased the Honda any make any model.

Look at my posts, I got ripped a new nose by these rip off artists. Keep it up maybe someday before 20 years have passed they may recall the junk and fix it right.
  • jones6789jones6789 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same oil consumption problem with my 2009 Odyssey with 30,000 miles and I have been given the same responses from the dealership and Corporate - but I am documenting it well - this will be my third time back to the dealership. The first time I realized it I was getting my oil changed at a Jiffy Lube and was told that it was not showing on the dipstick and I thought the technician was looney - but I looked myself and sure enough - it was not showing on the dipstick. I was in shock and when I took it to Honda they said that since I had changed the oil - that they could not even start the "Consumption" test until they could confirm that the engine was using oil so they told me to bring it back if it did it again. I should have screamed at that time. When it happened again, then the test was technically started and they changed my oil and I now have had the problem occur again. The oil loss is eratic - meaning I cannot identify whether it is when it is in "ECO" mode or not but I am assumining the problem is when it reduces to fewer number of cylinders - then something must be occuring that is causing the oil to be consumed somehow...it is not leaking. I cannot believe Honda is taking this stance that oil consumption is acceptable and I am sure they are aware of the problem and are working feverishly to engineer an "Economic" solution. Honda has too much on the line to risk bad publicity over this.
    edited September 2011
    Sorry to hear of your issues. Honda already supposedly "fixed" the issue with a different piston ring and moly coated skirts on the 2011 VCM. This is why dealers are insisting buyers do NOT change their oil until the MM hits 15% or less (they want that moly in there for a while) even though this usually works out to 7500+ miles. We own one in an Accord and I hope it works. This is a tacit admission on their part that they understand their is a problem. It's also a good lesson for those of you who are not real buffs when it comes to maintenance....you NEED to perform basic safety checks on all your vehicles at least monthly. This includes at the very least checking fluids under the hood and tire pressure. Especially a minivan where you probably risk your family every day. The consumption on these VCMs is not right but as the owner, you bear some responsibility for basic maintenance checks.
  • thirsty06odythirsty06ody Member Posts: 2
    Our 06 Odyssey Touring has 70K miles. We have been monitoring the oil consumption and it seems to be getting worse. My gauge said 50% so I decided to see how much oil had disappeared. When I checked, the stick barely had any oil on it. We love this van but I still can't believe that Honda hasn't recalled this motor. We should all be contacting our local newspapers and screaming about this! 1500 mile oil changes is insane- especially for a Honda! Dealer just says- "you should check your oil every time you fill up with gas" What a joke.

At least Toyota had the balls to do a massive recall and fix their probs. Honda needs to step up and do the right thing.