Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005+ Tacoma with RUSTY FRAME

RustyTaco2005RustyTaco2005 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2013 in Toyota
We’ve all heard that Toyota has a serious problem with rust on the frames of its 1995- 2000 and 2001-2004 Tacoma trucks that lead to premature perforation of the frame. The 2005’s have the same problem. Toyota has not fixed the rusty frame problem. Even more disturbing is that Toyota Canada is refusing to do anything for the 2005s unless perforation occurs during the five-warranty period.
My husband and I bought a 2005 Tacoma based on Toyota’s reputation for durability, longevity, reliability and high resale value. The resale value of our truck is plummeting by the day as its frame corrodes. I expected a certain amount of rust given our Canadian winters, but the rust on this frame is excessive. Even the service manager at the dealership was shocked by it. In February of 2008 (just before the 3 year rust warranty expired), the dealership striped the frame down, re-painted and rust-proofed it. Two weeks later, the rust was back and it has continued. In fact, it’s thriving! The service manager at the dealership has recently checked the frame and said that there is no perforation now, but if we don’t do something soon that certainly will be the case, maybe not this year or the next but soon. The truck is not even 4 years old yet and has less than 49,000km on it !!!!!! . Given that time frame, holes would start just after the warranty expires. W will end up owning a 6 year-old rust bucket that is unsafe for the road.
We bought this truck in good faith that it was well built and would last at least 10 years, but that definitely won’t be the case. We also foolishly thought that Toyota Canada would stand behind its products. We’re worried that it will soon be unsafe – our children ride in this vehicle everyday. If we wait until holes are found in the frame for Toyota to do something, then we will be putting our children and our own lives at risk riding in a vehicle whose structural integrity is questionable. Ironically, we bought this truck because we thought it would be safest for our children. If there is anything that anyone reading this can do to help us, we would greatly appreciate it. If anyone else has this problem, please complain to Toyota. We can’t afford to replace the truck and we won’t sell this problem to another person. We just want Toyota Canada to do the right thing and buy it back. If anyone else has this problem, please complain to Toyota. The more people who complain, the less they can ignore us.

Comments

• goingfor300000goingfor300000 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if anything was done to rust proof the frames of the 05-current models.it would seem totality crazy not to correct a reacurring problem.
  • RustyTaco2005RustyTaco2005 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for not responding sooner, but I just saw your message.

I've read the the problem was with the Dana frames not receiving enough rust-proofing for trucks that are in areas that use salt on the roads. I don't know if my 2005 has a Dana frame or not, but it sure has a problem with rust. The frame has been scraped down twice - the first time it was repainted and rust-proofed but the rust came back two weeks later. The last time it was scraped down and a new chemical treatment was put on it. I'm not sure if this is going to work or not. I've got my fingers crossed.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    You may want to try a product like Krown Rust Control to slow down the rust problem. Good luck.
  • radiblastradiblast Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 double cab. The frame is covered in rust!
  • umbkmmumbkmm Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my Tacoma December 05 always clean and garage kept. This truck was and still is babied and yet the frame has rust front to back! Every weld is covered in rust matter of fact I asked the Toyota technician doing my first oil change about the rust on the welds he said it was normal? My F250 had over 100k miles and no frame rust especially no rust on the welds. My wife has 03 Pilot with 120k miles, not rust to be found anywhere. Toyota and their dealers need to stop misleading their customers and come clean on the 2005 Tacoma rust issues.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I noticed that the 09 tacoma's are several hundred pounds heavier than the 08s I asked the dealer why and he said that toyota made some mods to the frame. I suspect they are now going after the rust. I guess the next campaign will be 2005 to 2008 Tacoma's?
  • baughman5559baughman5559 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 with 26,000 miles. The frame is covered with rust. I refuse to park it in my driveway because it is ruining the cement. I contacted Toyota this week and they basically told me there is nothing that they will do. They told me to contact my dealer and they would inspect the truck and I would be responsible for all costs. They did say to save my receipts and if they ever decided to include my model year in the Customer Service Program, I would get reimbursed.

If having this issue too, please call Toyota and complain. I also filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and with my state attorney general's office. Nothing will get accomplished if we all don't complain!
  • usedcar3usedcar3 Member Posts: 5
    I don't know if my 2005 has a Dana frame or not, but it sure has a problem with rust. The frame has been scraped down twice - the first time it was repainted and rust-proofed but the rust came back two weeks later. :lemon:
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Member Posts: 41
    I have a 2005 PreRunner. During the recent cold weather of 2010-11, something got up under the hood and chewed on the wires in several places. I have to park it outside and I do not drive it much on the week ends. I have several squirrels around so I'm guessing that they are the problem. The truck is in the shop now to have the under-hood wire harness replaced. State Farm will foot the bill after the deductible. ($2,500.00+++) After doing some research on the Internet, I understand that several car manufacturers have switched from a petroleum-based wire coating to a "soy-based" wire coating. Is there anything being done to address this? I am going to trap and relocate every squirrel that I can catch and use rodent deterents after that but the manufacturers need to put something in the wire coatings to discourage mice, rats, squirrels, etc. from chewing on the wiring. If you have to park outside, look it up on the Internet and try some of the deterents before you have a problem, too.
  • juliacodemanjuliacodeman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma, and it is rotting from the inside out. Every bolt, the bumper, tailgate, frame, etc...is rusting from the inside out! I have been back to the dealer for their "rustproofing", and it has done no good. This looks worse than a 16 year old car we own. It is always garaged, has NEVER been driven in salt or near the beach, and is faithfully cared for. It has 49k on it, is not even a daily driver. It lives in the garage. It had 23k on it when we bought it, in 2006. So in five years, we have put 26,000 miles on it, it lives in a garage, and is never abused or driven in any kind of off-road conditions or inclement weather. How, then, is the whole thing rusting out??? It is time to get the attorney general, consumer reports, etc.. involved. Toyota needs to take care of it's owners or they will not be buying Toyotas for long..
  • dwarfl0rddwarfl0rd Member Posts: 12
    I just bought my 2011 crew cab long bed 4x4 in February 2011 and it now has 2100 miles and rust spots all over the frame and other places underneath. On top of that, I tried to haul about 20 bags of mulch and the truck's bed bottomed out on the bumper guards just over the leaf springs. This isn't a truck. They call this a truck?! Its supposed to handle 12xx lbs of payload, and can't even manage 800lbs. Not only that it is already rusting on the frame. I had a Mazda tribute for 11 years with one area of rust between the body panel and door and this tacoma rusts within 2 months of purchase on the FRAME and weld joints! Ridiculous. I had a '97 tacoma with "0" problems. I have 2 major problems with this car in the first 2 months of ownership. I'm not real happy paying $30k for these headaches. Toyota lost a long term customer ('97 taco, '02 Corolla, '04 Camry, '08 Sienna and now this '11 Tacoma Junk).
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Okay so I picked up my 2004 Tacoma after the re frame and everything seemed very good mechanically. I only noticed two things, one the shift lever stays lit in "R" for reverse even thought it's working correctly and my left side dash lights are dimmer then before. What I didn't expect was a laundry list of technician notes on items I didn't know were problematic with the truck, I though it ran and worked just fine.

1) Drifts right - don't notice this
    2) vibration in drive line - don't notice this
    3) front brake squeal - don't hear this
    4) rough idle - seems smooth to me
    5) transmission or transfer case leak - don't see a one drop of fluid
    6) muffler weak - sounds just fine, quiet
    7) wires corroded on 4 wheel drive switch - said he don't how my 4 wheel drive is working cause the wires are corroded totally off
    8) A.C. low on charge - works great for me

So what's up with them? Are any of these detrimental requiring immediate servicing?
  • swampoakswampoak Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma as well. I have 105,000 miles on it. I just lost all of my transmission fluid because the steel tubing from the transmission that runs to the radiator rusted out. I've also replaced the alternator and the AC quit working and needs $1900.00 worth of work to fix it. I'm not happy and the Toyota dealer just wants a lot of money to fix everything.
  • rich1761rich1761 Member Posts: 1
    Someone is going to have to research where these frames were manufactured/if any other model is having these rust issues.I have owned toy pkups since 1989.I sold the 89 in 05 and it lived on the beach the rust was just really stating to get bad.Now a 1988 was completely rotted by 95 sounds like the same problem.Japan better wake up and fix these majors issues.Never thought I say it but a FORD might be my next TRUCK.I have owned a 1974 FJ40.88-89-93-06-09 4x4 pkups-
    93-01-04-10 Forerunners and I am thinking of buying a FORD.TIME TO SHORT THE STOCK???????
    Yes, same year Tundra's had the same uncoated frames.
  • ehall2ehall2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Quad Cab TRD with 103,000 miles and just found out I have serious rot. I notified Toyota who said they had a spray program that has since expired and I am out of luck. Is anyone aware of any class action suits? Any information would be appreciated.
  • boxdinboxdin Member Posts: 2
    For years I have not understood why people line up to buy these absolute pieces of junk.
    I've even read where guys can't wait for Toyota to buy their junk truck so they can buy
    ANOTHER ONE. For Gods sake wake up and realize Toyota has been lying to its customers for years. Try buying an American truck !
    What American truck compamy would allow you to drive one of their trucks for 11 years and then turn around with no questions asked and give you 1.5 times the kelly Blue book value if it turned out to be defective ? None! Because of this respect for their customers I would never buy anything but a Toyota product again.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    I had an American truck. Ball joints wore out at 50K, paint peeled off at 60K, serious leak in the cab at 70K, seat back broke at 90K.

I am now driving a 2006 Tacoma that hasn't cost me a penny other than routine maintenance, so I'm pretty much wide awake about who is lying to who!
  • knowsitallknowsitall Member Posts: 5
    Well boxdin: You are clearly the epitome of ignorance.

First off, the Toyota frame problem was a result of their AMERICAN frame supplier... DANA.

Second, Toyota trucks (Tacoma and Tundra) are made in.... you got it... AMERICA. Specifically, they are mostly made in San Antonio TX.

Third, the various OTHER problems with Toyota trucks also point at AMERICAN supplier problems, like the LUK CLUTCH FAILURES (affecting R155 and RA60 manual transmissions) -- those POS clutches are manufactured by an AMERICAN company, in their MEXICAN factory. When replaced by the high quality AISIN clutch (manufactured in Japan), they last virtually FOREVER.

The RA60 transmission is plagued with problems. Made in ALABAMA. Not the R155 though, its made in Japan. Similar with the engines.... the 4.0 is made in ALABAMA, and makes weird noises and is susceptible to low oil pressure and premature wear as a result (some catastrophic failures). The 2.7 is indestructible -- MADE IN JAPAN.

Time and again, all the problems that Toyota has been having with product quality are... AMERICAN problems. The stuff that comes from Japan is BULLETPROOF.

Thanks, but I'll steer as far away from AMERICAN GARBAGE as I possibly can. You can go enjoy your dodge or whatever other piece of trash you own, enjoy its 3 year life span.
  • jend2jend2 Member Posts: 1
    We are having problems with our 2005 toyota Tacoma. We went to the dealership to check the check light on and the worker saw frame rusted through. What can be done?? Who do we call? The rust ate a hole through this!
  • rustcityrustcity Member Posts: 4
    I needed to get my 2003 Tacoma truck inspected and discovered it’s rusted everywhere......I have lost my spare tire(rust) My Fuel tank has a hole in it and the support arms that hold the gas tank are practically rusted off! The bed has a hole through it! The frame is weak every where. Toyota says they had a deadline for the recall of 12/31/11
    I never received a recall noticed and they said I was out of luck. Then I was told I didn’t receive a noticed because my truck had been previously under-coated!!! To me that seems more of a reason....that they should take care of it, as everything was done to try to protect it! Now I read other forums that say they could not get theirs repaired because they didn’t under-coat it! Which one is it? Then, I read another forum that says that... now they have extended the recall to 12/31/12......However, none of the dealers are aware of this. Does anyone know what can be done? I can not afford a vehicle payment and need my truck for work!
    Rust City
  • oly51oly51 Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Tacoma with 75,000 miles has the same problem with the frame rusting. Internet searches show this to be an all too common problem.

A post in the tundrasolutions.com forums gave the following info:

Not to rehash an old thread but I have an 05 DC Tacoma and have had a rust problem since about 07-08. I have call Toyota twice and this time actually got some valuable information. In order for Toyota to actually look into a problem they have to notice a trend of calls with complaints. they review the nature of the complaint and what vehicle it was noted on. Please if you have a 2005 or newer Tacoma with a rust problem please call and complain...you don't have to be an *ss just let them know the problem you are having. If they have a lot of calls they will look into it and hopefully do something like they did with the 2000-04 models.
    Please call and tell them about it:

Customer Experience Center
    If you'd like to discuss your experience or share your comments, Toyota's Customer Experience Center representatives are happy to assist you. Phone: 800-331-4331Fax: 310-468-7814
    Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST
    Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST Or send correspondence to:
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    19001 South Western Ave.
    Dept. WC11
    Torrance, CA 90501

We need to show them how widespread this problem is.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    I did a search on www.arfc.org which is the site where vehicle complaints are compiled to the NHTSA. I searched "Frame Rust". In the first 10 pages of search results I found the breakdown of complaints by manufacturer:

GM - 2
    Isuzu - 5
    Honda - 9
    Kia - 1
    Subaru - 1
    Ford - 9
    Nissan - 10
    Toyota - 63

Fully over 60% of the complaints were for Toyota products. Over 3 million Tacomas and Tundras were sold in the last 12 Years. Toyota has been dealing with this problem by buying back and destroying / or re-framing these trucks to the tune of approx $13,000 per vehicle.
    3 million times $13,000 equals $39 billion. Current Toyota yearly profit is approx $5 billion, so that their liability for these defective frames is equal to about 8 years of profit. I predict their policy of taking responsibility for these rusty trucks will end within a year or two. If I owned their stock I would sell it soon.
    Your calculations are all wrong. The buybacks and reframing only applied to Tacomas and Tundras sold in 20 cold weather states, not all 3 million trucks sold in ALL 50 states in the past twelve years.
    Purchased my '05 Tacoma new. The underside still looks like the day it came from the dealer.
    Park it outside in the Oregon rain, too. Only problem that I have had was when a squirrel ate through the "new and improved" non-plastic wire harness under the hood.
  • framerot1framerot1 Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2012
    Its easy to see that anyone posting positive messages regarding Toyota Frame Rot is Toyota Company posting band-aids..band-aids won't stop this bleed.
    Toyota was delivered bad frames from Dana. Toyota knew it., and hid it. There was no recall. Toyota quietly called it a "Frame Program". If you bought your truck brand new Toyota would have sent a small card in the mail asking you to go to a dealer and get your frame inspected, but if you were a second party with no warranty information most likely you would never find out.
    I have a 2001 Tacoma 4X4 Looks like the day it was built, inside and out, purrs like a kitten.......But guess what????? You can't drive it!
    The first I heard of the frame program was in late 2011...I contacted a dealer....got the truck inspected...its frame failed. They told me that they (LIA TOYOTA , WILBRAHAM,MA) would order a frame and would call me in 2-3 weeks to complete the job of re-framing..
    I had custom bumpers (front & rear) Brush guards...traction bars... the truck had a $850 airbrushed frame! I was asked by LIA TOYOTA to purchase new U-bolts (liftkit) as they torch a lot of bolts. I did. $40.00 and removed all custom equipment (6 hours)
    2 weeks go by and LIA TOYOTA calls me to bring truck back in for a rep to Re-Inspect. Told to come in at noon. Waited 2 hours for rep to show up. Left without explanation but was told that they would get back to me. 3 weeks now my truck is in pieces.
    6 weeks go by and I get a call from Kevin Spillane of Toyota Customer Care. After 15 minutes of company prepared robot talk I was told that Toyota would not be doing the Re-frame and they were sorry I invested my time and money.
    Toyota lied to me. Wasted my time. Had me spend money. Encouraged me to remove bumpers/brushguards etc. to assist them. And then left me with a truck I can not drive.
    Toyota has left many (hundreds) of customers with useless junk because they built a faulty product. Yes some owners were taken care of. But let me tell you...for every good ending...you will hear ten bad .
    Toyota has not stood behind their product. I have always owned a Toyota truck, But this will be the last. Being number one in sales does not mean a thing. Its what happens after the sale. :sick:
  • framerot1framerot1 Member Posts: 7
    Thats what you think. Your frame is a DANA and its rotting as you read this. It rots from the inside out. It will look good till the day it breaks through. Tap it with a hammer over your rear leaf spring perch. Your frame is a defect but Toyota is not going to tell you. ALL Dana frames were defective...yours was'nt special.
    Wow, I could take issue with much of what you said and I'm not a Toyota Rep. LOL, I'm a satisfied 2001 Tacomo owner. Toyota did a complete $11,000 reframe on my Tacoma in three days once the frame came in with no question asked and it's like a brand new truck. To top it off I was the second owner of this truck.

"Yes some owners were taken care of. But let me tell you...for every good ending...you will hear ten bad .
    Toyota has not stood behind their product"

The above two statements are actually just the opposite. I belive Toyota did make a big and costly mistake with the bad frames but they stuck behind their product and it cost them dearly. I would also be willing to bet with all of the reframes and buybacks at 150% of book value you will find ten happy endings to this frame problem compared to one bad ending like you had.
  • ohframerotohframerot Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2001 Tacoma, 1st owner. I just recently took it to get a new exhaust and was told that the frame was so bad it was not safe to drive. The mechanic told me there was a recall on the frame and to contact my dealer. I checked toyota's website when i got home, No rust recall came up under the vin.

I contacted the dealer who said there was a recall, But the dealerships were told by toyota not to contact the customers unless they came in for other maintenance issues. According to the dealerships service mgr. Toyota was expecting 20 to 32 % of affected vehicles to actually cash in on the program prior to the deadline. If they saw a spike in a particular dealership and suspected the dealership was promoting the program and contacting the customers themselves Toyota would be less inclined to do the buyouts and make it harder for the dealerships to get frame replacements approved.

The way Toyota achieved keeping it's response low was as follows:

1. Don't call it a recall, change the name and it won't be attractive to the media and easy to find on the net, Hence: (Frame Program)

2. Keep dealerships from contacting customers.

3. Fashion the notices to appear to be junk mail at first glance, The font, layout, colors, and size of envelope are fashioned after the largest aftermarket extended warranty company in the US.

4. Make minimal attempt to contact original owners and none to contact secondary owners.

When I contacted toyota on the 15th of April they told me I was eligible for the program. I was issued a case mgt. number. I was contacted 2 days later by a lady who informed me I had missed the deadline of 12/31/11. I protested to a have it kicked up the ladder and was re contacted a few days later by a woman who described herself only as Laura. She told me I was "wasting my time" and it "Not going to happen" regarding my need for a new frame.

Toyota orchestrated a smooth program to limit its losses from this Frame debacle. They try to play themselves off as being pro-active when in reality they are trying relieve themselves from the cost their own liability.

I personally will not drive or sell my 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The fame is rust to the point that you can put your hand through it at the area above where the leaf springs attach to the frame.

But someone will, and when they unload one of these deathtraps on some unsuspecting owner its just a matter of time before people get killed.

If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit that includes Ohio regarding this matter, please post a link or a phone number.
    My truck is a 2005 extended cab. Its frame is solid and looks as good as the day it came home from the dealership. The rust problem is only with the "First Gen" Toys, isn't it?
    I think your really reaching with your 4 steps of what YOU think Toyota conspired to what amounts to a cover-up. Would Ford or Chevy or any manufacturer for that matter back-up there error like Toyota did with 150% buybacks and frame replacements for vehicles they sold 15 years ago ? ? ? I don't think so.
    I hardly think Toyota has any DESIRE to compensate customers for their losses at all. They are trying to remove future potential liability by getting some of these death traps off the road. Its simply a financial decision.

But they may be fooling themselves if they believe that by applying a deadline to their recall they can save money and still insulate themselves from future litigation.

Lets say a frame snaps on a Tacoma at 65 MPH on a busy Highway, falls to the tires and causes a horrific accident that kills some people. Do you really think Toyota will be held harmless due to the fact that the owner missed the deadline for frame replacement? Especially if he tried and was denied.

The very fact that they have admitted the problem exists, obligates them to repair or replace each and EVERY vehicle. You cannot place a deadline on public safety.
  • dyankedyanke Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2012
    I can tell you with all confidence that this email (#32) is a misrepresentation.

I am in the process of the frame replacement right now and just went in to have it checked last week. The process is completely painless and they are anxious to help.

Rather than throw away thousands of dollars because of a misinformed dealer, possibly contact Mark, the service manager at my dealership (815) 748-7300. Since they provide a loaner at their cost, it might be worth the drive to illinois for an $11,000 + free replacement. :)
    The "Dead Lines" everyone keeps mentioning, the 12/31/11date, were for frame spraying not the replacement.

The spraying was an effort to protect frames that had not developed problems yet. While ineffective, it seems to have been more of a "stop gap" type effort rather than a final solution.

I am not aware of any deadline on the frame recall and, if there is, it has yet to be reached.
    edited June 2012
    I don't think you understand the magnitude of the whole settlement program and the exorberant amounts of money Toyota has agreed to pay to resolve their negligence of faulty frames in the Tacomas. How can you say Toyota has "no desire to compensate owners" for frame rust when they paid out over 100 million dollars so far and agreed to extend the frame warranties for 15 years for their error ? ? ?
    If you missed the frame spraying deadline, and you own a 2001 to 2004 Tacoma, you are not eligible for spraying, frame replacement or buyout. the door is shut and you are left with the problem. This according to Toyota.
    I understand the magnitude well. Toyota sold Over 3000,000 with this problem. Even if they were sold in warm regions where they aren't affected they still may end up in those areas.

Lets say for the sake of argument that 500,000 or roughly 16% of them ended up in eligible states. and lets say that your numbers are correct and they spent 100 million dollars. That would come to $200.00 per vehicle.

But I think we can agree that $200.00 will not even cover the price of the frame treatment for those vehicles. So that means the response was not adequate to remove MUCH of the problem from the road.

Its actually hard to work with hearsay numbers so I'll do some digging and get the actual numbers and post them. But if 100 Million is all they have paid then they have DEFINITELY dodged the bullet. One good lawsuit could cost them half of that, and it will.
    Not true, see post #36. I did not get the spraying and just took my truck in a week ago Thursday (2001 Dbl Cab) and am getting the full replacement and free loaner to boot.

I posted a number in the referenced message if anyone is having issue \s with their dealer.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...the (very active) existing discussion Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem, let's keep this discussion to 2005 and newer trucks that were not covered by the Toyota program.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    What state are you in? if it's Ohio I definitely want that dealers number. I think New York was the one of the few/ if not the only state that waqs extended till decemer of 2012.
    edited June 2012
    You know as well as I do that Toyota is not spending $200.00 per vehicle but actually spending much more for Tacoma owners who come forward with the frame problem. Buy backs at 150% of book value per truck? Frame replacements at $11,000.00 per truck? And your gonna quote me $200.00 per vehicle ? What a joke !
    You just made my point.

Toyota admits that 812,000 vehicles where affected and eligible for the program. If the $100,000,000 dollar number you threw out is correct then they have paid an average of $123.15, per eligible vehicle. (actually lower than I estimated).

Of course that number is incorrect. They paid much more per vehicle. So they couldn't have taken care of many of them at all with only 100 million dollars.

That means there are a lot of people out there who own these trucks and have either not been notified or have been denied repairs.

You may have been one of the lucky ones, good for you. but if you had not had yours repaired but instead denied You may feel differently.
    I'm sorry, my mistake. After re-reading the article by the New York Times, the $100 million was just for the buybacks of the 1995 to 2000 Tacomas. We both know many thousands more built after 2000 had frame replacements at approx. $11,000 a pop, so obviously much more than $100 million was spent on the program. This proves even further the commitment Toyota had to resolving the rust issue.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    I strongly doubt that Toyota actually footed the bill for most of these. The frame manufacturer (Dana) would retain liability and was probably forced to pick most or all of the cost. Toyota becomes the middle man and while I'm sure there were costs to them, the bulk of the expense was picked up by Dana.
    No, Dana settled with Toyota in January of 2011 for a one time payment of only 25 million dollars to release them from all warranty claims due to frame rust issues. Dana is now out of the frame business and sold the business to a Mexican company.
  • mcmotomcmoto Member Posts: 3
    Who have you written to so far regarding your 05. The dealer will not touch the 05 Tacoma in Woburn MA. I would love to get an idea of how many other people are facing this problem. Maybe an open letter sent to an agency can get some action. I am gather information to write letters to different parties hoping to get some response. Any information or ideas are welcome.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    Didn't know that Tom. Thanks for the correction. Dana got off incredibly easily.
  • cshinn89cshinn89 Member Posts: 5
    Both my father and I had 05 tacomas I still have mine but the frame is starting to look bad, as for my dads he had to replace it 2 months ago because his frame rusted through and creaked and Toyota tools him he was SOL
  • mcmotomcmoto Member Posts: 3
    I am assuming SOL means statute of limitation. 2005 was not part of the class action. That is the problem. I wonder if some of the 2005 were equiped with some of the Dana frames. Anyway of finding out what kind of parts you have on your car? Seems interesting some trucks have the same trouble.